PDA

View Full Version : UCD v Galway Live

Pages : [1] 2 3

JC_GUFC
10/11/2008, 2:30 PM
Where is the live TV thread gone?

United are live on TV again - it was the choice of us or Bohs v Cork but RTE said there were too many complaints with the quality of Bohs football when previously shown on the box.

sligoman
10/11/2008, 2:31 PM
Poor choice. Well done RTE.

Dodge
10/11/2008, 2:33 PM
Only match that'd could've been shown IMO

Also means all 12 premier clubs will have featured on live TV this season

Schumi
10/11/2008, 2:40 PM
it was the choice of us or Bohs v Cork but RTE said there were too many complaints with the quality of Bohs football when previously shown on the box.God, wait til they see us!

superfrank
10/11/2008, 2:42 PM
- it was the choice of us or Bohs v Cork but RTE said there were too many complaints with the quality of Bohs football when previously shown on the box.
Are you serious?

Where'd you get that crap from?

Poor choice. Well done RTE.
How is it a poor choice?

Bohs - Cork
Derry - Cobh
Drogs - Pats
Harps - Rovers
Sligo - Bray
UCD - Galway

Not a great week for any match. All matches only have, at most, one team who are really playing for anything. UCD is five minutes down the road from RTÉ, that's the deciding factor.

I don't think there's any case for giving any match a priority over others.

Rovers1
10/11/2008, 2:44 PM
I think it was the best choice out there....especially for the bit of drama.

obviously it wont be the 2 best footballing sides in Ireland, but it'll be exciting.

pineapple stu
10/11/2008, 2:47 PM
UCD is five minutes down the road from RTÉ, that's the deciding factor.
Yep, that's why we've been beating them and their cameras away from our new ground with a stick.

It's the obvious choice. If Galway win, they stay up. A shame they'll do it live on TV against us, but there you go. Also, if it's in the rules that each team has to be shown live once, then it's now or never for us. Just hope it gives our players a bit of a root and let them go out on a high. Though I'd take going out on a mid at this stage.

sligoman
10/11/2008, 2:49 PM
How is it a poor choice?
Bohs - Cork
Derry - Cobh
Rovers - Bray

All better choices imo. Bohs/Cork in particular.

cheifo
10/11/2008, 2:50 PM
Apparantly the broadcasting regulators told them they were forbidden from showing our lads before the nine O clock watershed.

superfrank
10/11/2008, 2:54 PM
Bohs - Cork
Derry - Cobh
Rovers - Bray

All better choices imo. Bohs/Cork in particular.
Bohs have won the league and will be preparing for the cup final. They won't be worked up for it.

Derry Cobh will probably be a poor game. Derry have the same reasons as Bohs not to be motivated. Cobh need to hammer Derry to have any chance of staying up and I don't see that happening.

Sligo will beat us easily. It'll be a poor match to show.

UCD Galway won't be any better but it's closer i.e. cheaper.

eamo1
10/11/2008, 3:04 PM
We(Galway Utd) are not the worst footballing side in the country.We definatly dont play hoof-ball anyway and will play it on the ground.The only thing though will be the attendance,we are bringing 200/300 plus there and we will then out-number the UCD fans so it will look awfull on tv to see a poor crowd.
FAO Pineapple Stu:The Belfield Bowl is in the back of the complex if you come in from the West yes???

Bald Student
10/11/2008, 3:10 PM
We(Galway Utd) are not the worst footballing side in the country.We definatly dont play hoof-ball anyway and will play it on the ground.The only thing though will be the attendance,we are bringing 200/300 plus there and we will then out-number the UCD fans so it will look awfull on tv to see a poor crowd.
FAO Pineapple Stu:The Belfield Bowl is in the back of the complex if you come in from the West yes???If you come in from Clonskeagh, turn left at the roundabout and you'll find it easily enough.

pineapple stu
10/11/2008, 3:14 PM
The only thing though will be the attendance,we are bringing 200/300 plus there and we will then out-number the UCD fans so it will look awfull on tv to see a poor crowd.
Bray v Cobh had 300 at it live on telly a couple of weeks ago and nobody cared. Seems people don't even engage their brains when talking about UCD any more; it's like they go straight into stereotype.

Dodge
10/11/2008, 3:15 PM
Bray v Cobh had 300 at it live on telly a couple of weeks ago and nobody cared. Seems people don't even engage their brains when talking about UCD any more; it's like they go straight into stereotype.

huh? He didn't compare it to others. He said there'd be a ****e crowd there and it'd look crap on TV. Which is probably true. Stereotype or not

eamo1
10/11/2008, 3:15 PM
I'll see what the Sat Nav has to say about it too,thanks though.

pineapple stu
10/11/2008, 3:16 PM
huh? He didn't compare it to others. He said there'd be a ****e crowd there and it'd look crap on TV. Which is probably true. Stereotype or not
I agree. Just looking for consistency. Bray v Cobh was clearly going to have a ****e crowd, but I don't remember anyone complaining about that before the event.

Mr A
10/11/2008, 3:21 PM
Total no-brainer, this game is the natural choice for the coverage.

Dodge
10/11/2008, 3:30 PM
I agree. Just looking for consistency. Bray v Cobh was clearly going to have a ****e crowd, but I don't remember anyone complaining about that before the event.

And only one person did it here. No big deal

Schumi
10/11/2008, 3:49 PM
Bohs - Cork
Derry - Cobh
Rovers - Bray

All better choices imo. Bohs/Cork in particular.There's nothing much to play for in any of those games. Rovers v Bray particularly, two teams marooned in mid-table for months. Galway and Harps are the two teams with something major to play for so those are the only two games worth showing. Personally, I'd rather our disastrous form wasn't showcased to the country but maybe being on TV will motivate them.

Rovers Maniac
10/11/2008, 3:51 PM
There's nothing much to play for in any of those games. Rovers v Bray particularly, two teams marooned in mid-table for months. Galway and Harps are the two teams with something major to play for so those are the only two games worth showing. Personally, I'd rather our disastrous form wasn't showcased to the country but maybe being on TV will motivate them.

4th place Schumi and the last UEFA cup place

Lim till i die
10/11/2008, 3:56 PM
Could a case have been made for showing a (runs for cover) First Division game on the Saturday evening instead.

Dodge
10/11/2008, 3:56 PM
Not as important as the Relegation thing

Lim till i die
10/11/2008, 3:59 PM
If Shels win they're up.

If they don't and Dundalk win blah, blah

Whereas the relegation thing is all but sorted??

Maybe we could have live coverage of the meetings in Febuary to decide who actually goes up and down

Rovers Maniac
10/11/2008, 4:02 PM
Not as important as the Relegation thing

Fair enough point to be fair esp with that Licence isuue hanging over Cork.

Just for the record i agree UCD v Galway should be the game that is on tv.

pineapple stu
10/11/2008, 4:04 PM
And only one person did it here. No big deal
Slippery slope, Dodge. Slippery slope.

Mr Maroon
10/11/2008, 4:06 PM
Whereas the relegation thing is all but sorted??
Not really!

pineapple stu
10/11/2008, 4:07 PM
Given our form, it is.

Given I don't think tenth place will go down, it really is.

Lim till i die
10/11/2008, 4:07 PM
Not really!

Just not lose to UCD isn't it?!

I mean, come on!!

pineapple stu
10/11/2008, 4:09 PM
Exactly.

Don't bring a keeper, go 1-0 up, then go "Ah ha! We did have a keeper after all!", bring him on and win 2-0.

Or the exact same without the keeper shenanigans.

Conor H
10/11/2008, 4:11 PM
It mightn't look to bad on TV.

UTD have been playing some good stuff lately that's enjoyable to watch.If UCD were to nick an early goal it will be exciting(and disastrous)from the off.

There'll be a good atmosphere there aswell.4 buses already heading to Dublin with a few hundred driving.Should be 500 there,if not more,from Galway.

Mr Maroon
We have to win to be sure

Dodge
BTW if all games were on Friday I'd say the Shels game should be the TV one

Terry-Lander
10/11/2008, 4:32 PM
The relagation 'thing' is NOT decided. Yes it's in our own hands and on paper looks like a relatively easy task but..this is football and anything can happen over 90 minutes. I imagine UCD would be happy with a nil all draw and after last Friday, pride, if nothing else, will drive Harps on so a win for them is not out of the question.

The rather large lady may be lubricating her vocal chords but she hasn't sung just yet.

By 9.20pm on Friday I hope she is singing 'The fields of Athenry' ;)

WoodquayBoy
10/11/2008, 4:32 PM
Yes, and if Bohs v Cork was the League decider, then that should be the one shown. It's not, and neither are all games on Friday

GalwayRed
10/11/2008, 4:39 PM

Yeah there would be good case for that....but since the games saturday why isnt it possible to show it live anyway? Too much to expect RTE to show consecutive Irish league matches i guess:confused::mad:

Dodge
10/11/2008, 4:40 PM
Presumably Saturday night's TV schedule is booked up by the Premiership

adamd164
10/11/2008, 4:46 PM
Fair enough point to be fair esp with that Licence isuue hanging over Cork.

Eh? What license issue "hanging over us"?:confused:

The FAI have made it clear: this 3 year ban applies only to clubs which re-emerge as a new company. Not the case.

mypost
10/11/2008, 4:49 PM
Rovers - Bray

:confused:

Say though that RTE are pised off not having a glamour game to finish their coverage.

Dodge
10/11/2008, 4:57 PM
Eh? What license issue "hanging over us"?:confused:

The FAI have made it clear: this 3 year ban applies only to clubs which re-emerge as a new company. Not the case.

I'd be far from certain that Cork will get a premier league license next year

WoodquayBoy
10/11/2008, 5:32 PM
:confused:

Say though that RTE are pised off not having a glamour game to finish their coverage.
What's not glamorous about UCD and United????!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
By the way, agree it would be a good idea to have a First Division match on Saturday - a relegation tussle one night, promotion the next, but as Dodge said, time is probably taken up by the sacred Premiersh*te coverage

blackholesun
10/11/2008, 6:01 PM
UCD is a stones throw from RTE, the lazy gits are taking it easy for the last game!

Still thought it is the most sensible game to show, although Shels v Limerick will have a few twists and turns along the way too Id imagine.

bhs

Sam_Heggy
10/11/2008, 6:33 PM
Basically RTE were going to show which ever team were in pole position in the relegation fight after last weekend. That team is Galway, no contest, correct decision.

I agree also that Shels match should be shown live on Sat if in any way possible.

Demoshield
10/11/2008, 6:38 PM
IT'S A FIX ;):)
The FAI said GUFC looked very good on dvd so really there was no contest as to who would be shown !!:rolleyes:

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2008, 6:46 PM
thats just great,good choice for promoting the league
I think at this stage, with the amount of television coverage this league gets, one game/stadium is going to have a bearing on people following League of Ireland football or their perception of it. Anyone who would use the example of one game on television not to go to games would just have another stupid excuse not to go anyway.

Sam_Heggy
10/11/2008, 7:21 PM
Think about it though!

Imagine roight,a twenty -something guy decides to stay in on a friday and watch telly either with his mates or on his own,RTE 2 is second channel on Sky,when he sees Eircom league live,he will decide to check it out see whos playing,to find UCD-Galway.

In a stadium with 1 small stand in front of 500 people,8/10 times he will change channel he wont want to watch it!

Say Bohs-Cork,it might convince him.(Btw he is a *diehard* Man United fan)

The only people i can imagine watching it will be the folks in Galway,who couldnt make the game.

I don't agree, this is a massive game for Galway and Harps too. Bohs are not exactly packing the place, ask the Derry fans about that. Cork pushing for europe will not have a massive away support imo.
Galway should have at least 500 there, poor form if not. 500 travelling fans will make for a great atmosphere.

brianw82
10/11/2008, 8:00 PM
It's the obvious game to show. It's the most likely game to have a big celebration at the end (if Galway win and stay up), which is what you want in the last game of the season.

Paddyfield
10/11/2008, 8:40 PM
It's the obvious game to show. It's the most likely game to have a big celebration at the end (if Galway win and stay up), which is what you want in the last game of the season.

Galway United have been on TV a lot of times this season. The Club need a lot of footage for the 2009 DVD.

geezer
10/11/2008, 9:22 PM
chance we could get mad maxi to do his thing at the other end of the ucd bowl to add to the atmosphere. It could make for cracking viewing and ensure next years dvd would be no1.

John83
10/11/2008, 9:22 PM
Think about it though!

Imagine roight,a twenty -something guy decides to stay in on a friday and watch telly either with his mates or on his own,RTE 2 is second channel on Sky,when he sees Eircom league live,he will decide to check it out see whos playing,to find UCD-Galway.

In a stadium with 1 small stand in front of 500 people,8/10 times he will change channel he wont want to watch it!

Say Bohs-Cork,it might convince him.(Btw he is a *diehard* Man United fan)

The only people i can imagine watching it will be the folks in Galway,who couldnt make the game.
Indeed. I too can imagine a Man Utd fan being impressed by 2,000 fans dwarfed by an elderly stadium he mainly associates with stories of internationals in the days of yore, watching a game between a team which just emerged as having sold said stadium twice and a team which just emerged from examinership.

Half this league's fans have their heads so far up their own hole they could perform a tonsilectomy with their teeth.

L37Ultra
10/11/2008, 9:31 PM
This is bad tbh
rte are fools,they sohuld show Bohs-Cork will be a good crowd and Cork will be fighting for europe,
So now the ****hole known as the Belfield Bowl will be exposed to the rest of Ireland!

thats just great,good choice for promoting the league

Do you honestly think they decide to show games to promote the League.

Its for the real football fans in this country who actually want to see an interesting relegation battle.

I for one, will be watching it on Friday as it will have an affect on who Limerick are playing next season.

I couldn't care less about a twenty something Man Utd fan who won't even watch two seconds of any game because he has already decided it is crap to stop his gulilt.

This is the best game they could have shown, along with Harps and Rovers but why travel to Donegal when UCD is just across the road :)