PDA

View Full Version : Irish international retirement

liamon
21/10/2003, 3:56 PM
Keith O'Neill has had to retire fom football due to long term struggle with injuries. Only 27.

Pity. He looked promising as a youngster and could have had a good career if he could stay fit.

elevenaside story (http://www.elevenaside.com/acrossthewater/story.asp?newsid=8143)

Plastic Paddy
21/10/2003, 4:05 PM
Along with Richard Sadlier, that's two retirements this season. I don't think the memories for the fans of either players' club could be more different though. Millwall fans loved Sadlier for appearing to try his hardest in recovery, whereas Coventry fans - admittedly against the backdrop of a club fighting administration - thought O'Neill was merely taking them for a ride.

That said, even though it had been a while since we'd seen him in the green, a sad loss for Irish football.

:) PP

Tom Peppers
21/10/2003, 4:08 PM
That is a pity. He was a very gifted footballer but unfortunately spent most of his time on the sidelines. He has played with middlesborough norwich and coventry respectively. Best of luck Keith

thecorner
21/10/2003, 6:22 PM
****!NG TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D

Ozymandias
21/10/2003, 9:40 PM
did he get injured on a Question of Sport once...hmmmm

good luck to ya man

thecorner
21/10/2003, 11:26 PM
he should have retired from international football a few years ago to prolong his club career

:D :D :D :D :D

Greenbod
23/10/2003, 4:12 PM
Saw O'Neills statement on his retirement:

"And finally I retire, glad to have had the opportunity to play football for the greatest Nation on Earth"

Sad that some who could still wear the green won't while others would love the opportunity again but can't.

Ozymandias
24/10/2003, 9:28 AM
Jaysis Greenbod...let it go will ya.....I'm beginning to think you are obsessed with the whole thing

There are other threads you have exhausted your opinion on about that subject...lets move on

Greenbod
24/10/2003, 9:42 AM
Originally posted by Ozymandias
Jaysis Greenbod...let it go will ya.....I'm beginning to think you are obsessed with the whole thing

There are other threads you have exhausted your opinion on about that subject...lets move on

Sorry if I'm boring you Ozy, but I've actually never brought up this subject and wouldn't have connected it with O'Neills retirement were it not for the other "ironic" posts on this thread. I'm just responding to posts I read, that's all.

Greenbod
24/10/2003, 9:45 AM
Speaking of obsessives. This must be one of the very few threads here where Celtic haven't got a mention yet.

There, fixed it:)

tiktok
24/10/2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Greenbod
Saw O'Neills statement on his retirement:

"And finally I retire, glad to have had the opportunity to play football for the greatest Nation on Earth"

Sad that some who could still wear the green won't while others would love the opportunity again but can't.

you're right, Dean Kiely, Gary Kelly and Steve Staunton should be ashamed of themselves :D :D :D

Greenbod
24/10/2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
you're right, Dean Kiely, Gary Kelly and Steve Staunton should be ashamed of themselves :D :D :D

Agreed on Kiely and Kelly. Staunton however, is now past it and was right to retire and make room for the younger players in his position.

Beavis
24/10/2003, 1:48 PM
Kiely and Kelly knew they were never gonna get a look in so why fly all round the world with the team to sit on the bench.Although now that I think about it we could maybe have used Kelly at right wing.