PDA

View Full Version : Directions to the Bowl

Mr Maroon
08/11/2008, 8:42 PM
Driving with a few others but none of us have ever been to Belfield. Is there a route someone can recommend for us that avoids the heaviest traffic? Basically what's the best way to get there on a Friday evening? Also, how long do you reckon it'll take from the outskirts of Dublin to the ground?

Thanks.

Student Mullet
08/11/2008, 9:28 PM
Are you coming from Galway? Around the M50 and then up the Drummartin Link Road is probably the best. You'll be going against the direction of the heaviest traffic. I do my best to avoid driving at that time of day but it shouldn't take much more than an hour from the N4 to Belfield.

To get onto the Drummartin Road from the M50 you need to make a funny kind of maneuver, you turn off at the exit marked Dundrum/Sandyford and then drive along a little road parallel to the motorway for a mile or two before turning towards Belfield at a big roundabout.

It's hard to describe in words but if you look at a map you'll see what I mean.

John83
08/11/2008, 9:28 PM
There are some directions here (http://stigonline.com/ucd.htm). It's not the only route, but it'll get you there without hitting too much traffic, except on the M50 around Tallaght, but that's unavoidable.

As for the time, it depends on where you're hitting the outskirts, and when, but I'd give it an hour in the evening.

EDIT: Student Mullet gives directions for a slightly different route (basically the previous exit from the M50). His is probably more direct, but weigh them up based on how they look on a map to you - the easier one to follow is better.

Mr Maroon
09/11/2008, 12:56 PM
Are you coming from Galway?
Yep.

Thanks lads. :)

DmanDmythDledge
09/11/2008, 1:42 PM
The route in the link is around 3 miles longer and would probably take 20/25 mins more as there would be heavier traffic on the route.

Here's a google maps link (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=M50&daddr=53.273118,-6.219292+to:Clonskeagh+Rd&hl=en&geocode=Faz1LQMdyIqe_w%3B%3BFcppLQMdOtWg_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1&doflg=ptm&sll=53.277635,-6.240578&sspn=0.047729,0.109863&ie=UTF8&ll=53.271334,-6.224849&spn=0.005967,0.013733&z=16) of the route. Once you turn off at the second roundabout Beacon Hospital and the Goat pub are landmarks so you know you are on the right road.

The turning into UCD should be easy enough to spot- there's an AIB not that long after the road bends to the right. It's at those lights that you turn in.

Patrick Dunne
12/11/2008, 10:47 PM
Would city centre bus lanes make it quicker for supporters travelling by bus to go to Belfield via city centre, rather than the M50 ?

Angus
13/11/2008, 8:09 AM
Would city centre bus lanes make it quicker for supporters travelling by bus to go to Belfield via city centre, rather than the M50 ?

Yes - 46A or 10 from Trinity College area

Schumi
13/11/2008, 9:50 AM
Would city centre bus lanes make it quicker for supporters travelling by bus to go to Belfield via city centre, rather than the M50 ?Supporter hired coaches you mean I assume. From around Leeson St, it'd be pretty quick but the traffic through Inchicore and town or along the canal would be pretty heavy. I don't know which route to recommend tbh.

Bald Student
13/11/2008, 3:10 PM
No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Claret Murph
13/11/2008, 3:15 PM
No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Errrrr let me see
Ken Dodd that's one , anyone got another four characters for BS .........:D

Patrick Dunne
14/11/2008, 10:00 AM
Our bus company has advised us that the M50 is definitely the best option.

corbyeire
14/11/2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.ucd.ie/building/code/traffic.htm

get in the clonskeagh entrance - the stillorgan one will probably be blocked (for crossing the campus) and youll be miles away from the bowl

http://www.ucd.ie/building/code/traffic.htm

Ceirtlis
14/11/2008, 11:22 AM
Lads do you know how long it would take the no 3 bus to get to Belfield from Ringsend village this evening or would i be better off getting a taxi out there, theres nothing worse than waiting for one of them phantom buses that never comes on a Friday evening.

John83
14/11/2008, 3:44 PM
Lads do you know how long it would take the no 3 bus to get to Belfield from Ringsend village this evening or would i be better off getting a taxi out there, theres nothing worse than waiting for one of them phantom buses that never comes on a Friday evening.
I've seen 3s around, but I think they're rare - check the timetable. I'd imagine 30 minutes should be plenty, plus ten to walk from the stop, but the usual disclaimers about Dublin Bus apply. Print out a campus map if you don't know the area.