PDA

View Full Version : Player of the Year - Nominees , Seamie makes Team of the Year

Guts&Glory
06/11/2008, 4:19 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1106/awards.html

Seamie Coleman gets U-21 and U-23 call up's praise in every paper and TV programme yet not good enough to be nominated in the player or young player of the year nominees!!

Dodge
06/11/2008, 4:27 PM
Is he a better player than the 3 nominated?

Quigley's the best striker in the country. McGinn's been called up to the full NI squad. O'Shea is in the same u21 and u23 squads as Coleman.

Fine player though

gustavo
06/11/2008, 4:29 PM
He made team of the season though so well done Seamie

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3776

showgies
06/11/2008, 5:11 PM

Quigley's the best striker in the country. McGinn's been called up to the full NI squad. O'Shea is in the same u21 and u23 squads as Coleman.

Fine player though

The difference for me is the Seamie has been consistantly excellent throughout the season.

O'Shea has only come to promience in the latter part of Galway's season - I certainly don't remember him getting much attention when they were rooted to the bottom of the league under Tony Cousins.

It may also be argued that Quigley (a player I highly rate) has gone a bit quiet, in tandem with Pat's performances lately.

This award should be judged throughout the season, and in my opinion Seamie should have received a nomination.:mad:

Rovers Maniac
06/11/2008, 5:15 PM

Fine player though

Quigley is a fine player but what i seen of him this blows hot and cold, last Tuesday evening against Cork he was nothing short of a disgrace. Although Fahy is the best player in the league

sligoman
06/11/2008, 6:40 PM
As was said above, O'Shea should not be in there.

Shedzer
06/11/2008, 8:04 PM
Peers an Raf have being Rovers best players consistantly this season, Seamie is about 3rd

Average the first half of the season and good the second half

Just being honest about it

Fahy is the best player in the league this year from what i have seen

Shedzer
06/11/2008, 8:07 PM
On a side note, Jason McGUINNESS is one of the worst defenders in the league. Hoofer, slow, average in the air...all the things that make you an average to bad centre halve, he has in abundance

showgies
06/11/2008, 11:46 PM
Peers an Raf have being Rovers best players consistantly this season, Seamie is about 3rd

Peers and Raf don't qualify for young player of the season. Do you think Coleman deserves an nomination?

redobit
07/11/2008, 8:37 AM

Have to agree with that

Shedzer
07/11/2008, 3:27 PM
Peers and Raf don't qualify for young player of the season. Do you think Coleman deserves an nomination?Probably

Hard to judge when we dont see others week in week out for 90 minutes though

Guts&Glory
10/11/2008, 12:45 PM
To me its as simple as this....

Seamie made the team of the Year O'Shea didn't (different positions I know but there are three striker positions available given Quigley, Crowe & Brennan are all in the team of the year that O'Shea could have got if he is soooooo good).

Also as has been mentioned by others O'Shea has only played the last ten games yet seamie is left out in the cold for the U21 nominations.

Joke.

Dodge
10/11/2008, 1:20 PM
Also as has been mentioned by others O'Shea has only played the last ten games yet seamie is left out in the cold for the U21 nominations.

its not an U21 award.

To me its as simple as this....

Seamie made the team of the Year O'Shea didn't (different positions I know but there are three striker positions available given Quigley, Crowe & Brennan are all in the team of the year that O'Shea could have got if he is soooooo good).
You answered yourself. The play in differing positions. Also Killian brennan plays left wing. occassionally right wong, but rarely up front.

How can you not understand that Coleman received more votes at left back than others. Quigley, McGinn and O'Shea received more votes in the Young players category.

Seriously, you should let this go

Rovers1
10/11/2008, 2:24 PM

agreed, plus O Shea has only caught the eye of non-Galway fans in last 3rd of season, (as good as he is), Seamie was in the limelight since March.

Dodge
10/11/2008, 2:32 PM
agreed, plus O Shea has only caught the eye of non-Galway fans in last 3rd of season, (as good as he is), Seamie was in the limelight since March.

its not voted for by fans

Rovers1
10/11/2008, 2:39 PM
its not voted for by fans

Thats correct. Nice one! :confused:

I meant it was only the Galway fans who knew how good he was before he started scoring regularly. The general public/fans of other clubs/media only noticed him later in the season.

Dodge
10/11/2008, 2:47 PM
So you're saying the players knew beforehand? Fair enough if so, took you the wrong way

Guts&Glory
11/11/2008, 12:32 PM
its not an U21 award.

You answered yourself. The play in differing positions. Also Killian brennan plays left wing. occassionally right wong, but rarely up front.

How can you not understand that Coleman received more votes at left back than others. Quigley, McGinn and O'Shea received more votes in the Young players category.

Seriously, you should let this go

Seriously Dodge you should go back to your St.Pats threads and leave us Rovers fans to debate as we see fit about our players.

If Gavin Peers is too old for selection in the Young player category at 22 (he was 23 yesterday ) I think it is safe to say the award is for U21 or how do you define young player of the year age group ?

Seamie has been called up several times and played by the Irish U21's at various times throughout this season so any idea of him not being consistent enough all season doesnt wash with me or with Don Givens and the U21 set up.

Dodge
11/11/2008, 12:53 PM
If Gavin Peers is too old for selection in the Young player category at 22 (he was 23 yesterday ) I think it is safe to say the award is for U21 or how do you define young player of the year age group ?
Well Mark Quigley just turned 23 and he's nominated. He was 22 last year when he won it. Once again, please check your facts before getting all precious when someone dares to question you...

Seamie has been called up several times and played by the Irish U21's at various times throughout this season so any idea of him not being consistent enough all season doesnt wash with me or with Don Givens and the U21 set up.
Who said he wasn't consistent? Who said he didn't deserve his place on the team of the year?

Rovers Maniac
11/11/2008, 1:04 PM
Well Mark Quigley just turned 23 and he's nominated. He was 22 last year when he won it. Once again, please check your facts before getting all precious when someone dares to question you...

Who said he wasn't consistent? Who said he didn't deserve his place on the team of the year?

Any Fancies for the weekend? :)

avvenalaf
11/11/2008, 1:25 PM
Any Fancies for the weekend? :)

Yeah, Dodge, can you give us the results for the weekend or has the Pat's team meeting not taken place yet?

Dodge
11/11/2008, 1:27 PM
Cork to draw with bohs, Sligo to beat Bray

Rovers1
11/11/2008, 1:30 PM
Cork to draw with bohs, Sligo to beat Bray

please god:ball:

Guts&Glory
12/11/2008, 12:57 PM

Dodge get your head out of your ar$%...

Shedzer said Seamie wasn't the most consistent Rovers player, my response was to that comment.

Showgies said Peers was too old for the award at 23 and I took his work for it.

I asked did anyone know what age the award was for as nobody, including yourself, seems to know as nobody responded.

Again as regards consistency it was a general comment by me that I felt he was consistent where others on this thread such as Shedzer and comments in other threads on this SLIGO ROVERS FORUM said he wasnt........its not all about you ya know!!

GO TO YOUR HOME

Rovers1
12/11/2008, 5:15 PM
Dodge is gone awful quiet ?????

sligoman
12/11/2008, 5:47 PM
Dodge is gone awful quiet ?????It has been just over 4 hours since Guts and Glory's post, maybe he's offline?:eek: ;)

Dodge
12/11/2008, 6:26 PM
It has been just over 4 hours since Guts and Glory's post, maybe he's offline?:eek: ;)

Can't even work these days....

Couldn't quite understand his post. Too all over the place for me.

What points of mine was he arguinng?

Red&White Rover
12/11/2008, 6:47 PM
It has been just over 4 hours since Guts and Glory's post, maybe he's offline?:eek: ;)

I doubt it. He's a moderator on a forum...

In other words, this is his life?

Rovers1
13/11/2008, 1:45 PM
Couldn't quite understand his post. Too all over the place for me.

What points of mine was he arguinng?

oh...i think youve been beaten Dodge!:(

Dodge
13/11/2008, 1:48 PM
Wouldn't be the first time, but seriously what points of mine was he arguing

RedRebel32
13/11/2008, 2:16 PM
There's no doubt O'Shea looks a quality player(never thought i'd say those words),but over the course of the season Coleman most definately deserved at least a nomination,and should have been way ahead of o'shea in the pecking order.It would be between him and quigley who is also a very good player though i wouldnt call him the best in the league he has a lot of quiet nights.well done to seamus making the team of the season