PDA

View Full Version : PFAI Player Of The Year 2008

sligored
06/11/2008, 3:42 PM
http://www.rte.ie/aertel/221-01.html

i think fahey probaby deserves the award for his all round play even though bohs have been the best team by a mile

Dodge
06/11/2008, 3:44 PM
I'd probably agree with all 6 nominees. No doubt Derry fans won't

I'm biased, obviously, but I'd give the award to Fahey. Murphy in 2nd place

passinginterest
06/11/2008, 3:47 PM
Conor Sinnott of Wexford Youths one of the three players nominated in the first division. Great achievement. Surprised Anto Flood didn't get nominated.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1106/awards.html

It's a very close call between Brian Murphy and Fahey in the premier. I'd be inclined to go for Murphy based on Bohs amazing defensive record.

Jofspring
06/11/2008, 4:00 PM
Surprised only 3 players up for the first division one, definately would have had Tommy Barrett in there and Flood deserves some recognition too.

Dodge
06/11/2008, 4:03 PM
Surprised only 3 players up for the first division one, definately would have had Tommy Barrett in there and Flood deserves some recognition too.
Only ever 3 players up for first division (and young player) award

micls
06/11/2008, 4:21 PM
Fahey for me, followed by Murphy. Surprised to see Crowe in there tbh.

Dodge
06/11/2008, 4:30 PM
PFAI Premier Division Team of the Year 2008

Brian MURPHY Bohemian FC
Owen HEARY Bohemian FC
Mark ROSSITER Bohemian FC
Jason McGUINNESS Bohemian FC
Seamus COLEMAN Sligo Rovers
Niall McGINN Derry City
Joe GAMBLE Cork City
Keith FAHEY St Patrick’s Athletic
Mark QUIGLEY St Patrick’s Athletic
Glen CROWE Bohemian FC
Killian BRENNAN Bohemian FC

PFAI First Division Team of the Year 2008

Chris BENNION Dundalk
David BREEN Waterford United
Damien BRENNAN Shelbourne
Kenny BROWNE Waterford United
Robbie CLARKE Waterford United
David CASSIDY Dundalk
Conor SINNOTT Wexford Youths
Michael FOLEY Waterford United
Robbie DOYLE Sporting Fingal
Anthony FLOOD Shelbourne
Conan BYRNE Sporting Fingal

sligofan4ever
06/11/2008, 8:16 PM
How the hell is Glen Crowe a nominee ? there's been so many better players than him that didnt make that team.

sonofstan
06/11/2008, 8:21 PM
How the hell is Glen Crowe a nominee ? there's been so many better players than him that didnt make that team.

He hasn't scored anything like as many goals as a few years back, but if you'd been watching him all year, you'd have seen a player whose overall game has moved to another level - amazing flicks and lay-offs and great vision, but instead of using it just as a poacher, it's serving the team as a whole much more.

Sorry O'Donnell or Deegan aren't there though.

Dodge
06/11/2008, 8:36 PM

Can't think of any up front. Crowe's superb, and this season has been somewhat of a renaissence for him

sligofan4ever
06/11/2008, 8:41 PM
Can't think of any up front. Crowe's superb, and this season has been somewhat of a renaissence for him

Mark Farren maybe ? Would Dave Mooney count ?

OneRedArmy
06/11/2008, 8:41 PM
No doubt Derry fans won'tNo complaint from me.

You've got to respect the players views, after all they play in the matches and are better qualified than the fans to decide.

Also, IIRC you can't vote for teammates?

A face
06/11/2008, 8:47 PM
PFAI AWARDS 2008 - NOMINEES ANNOUNCED

The Professional Footballers’ Association of Ireland (PFAI), in association with Ford, today announced the nominees for the 2008 PFAI Player of the Year Awards.

The nominations for the Players’ Player of the Year, First Division Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year, and Referee of the Year, along with the Premier Division and First Division teams of the Year as voted for by the eircom League of Ireland players, were all announced.

The prestigious 2008 Ford sponsored PFAI Awards will take place on Sunday 16th November at the D4 Ballsbridge Court, Hotel in Dublin.

Read more at www.pfai.ie (http://www.pfai.ie/index.php?mod=one&id=16804&PHPSESSID=1f6378d5a9773159ea835b268afec31c)

Premier Division Player of the Year

Killian Brennan (Bohemian FC)
Glen Crowe (Bohemian FC)
Keith Fahey (St Patrick’s Athletic)
Owen Heary (Bohemian FC)
Brian Murphy (Bohemian FC)
Mark Quigley (St Patrick’s Athletic)

First Division Player of the Year

David Cassidy (Dundalk)
Robbie Doyle (Sporting Fingal)
Conor Sinnott (Wexford Youths)

Young Player of the Year

Niall McGinn (Derry City)
James O’Shea (Galway United)
Mark Quigley (St Patrick’s Athletic)

Referee of the Year

Neil Doyle
Alan Kelly
Richie Winter

PFAI Premier Division Team of the Year 2008

Brian MURPHY Bohemian FC
Owen HEARY Bohemian FC
Mark ROSSITER Bohemian FC
Jason McGUINNESS Bohemian FC
Seamus COLEMAN Sligo Rovers
Niall McGINN Derry City
Joe GAMBLE Cork City
Keith FAHEY St Patrick’s Athletic
Mark QUIGLEY St Patrick’s Athletic
Glen CROWE Bohemian FC
Killian BRENNAN Bohemian FC

PFAI First Division Team of the Year 2008

Chris BENNION Dundalk
David BREEN Waterford United
Damien BRENNAN Shelbourne
Kenny BROWNE Waterford United
Robbie CLARKE Waterford United
David CASSIDY Dundalk
Conor SINNOTT Wexford Youths
Michael FOLEY Waterford United
Robbie DOYLE Sporting Fingal
Anthony FLOOD Shelbourne
Conan BYRNE Sporting Fingal

Dodge
06/11/2008, 9:03 PM
You've got to respect the players views, after all they play in the matches and are better qualified than the fans to decide.

Also, IIRC you can't vote for teammates?

Correct.

CSFShels
06/11/2008, 9:06 PM
People must really hate Shels, how has Rutherford not got in this?

Olander
06/11/2008, 9:11 PM
Because he takes to the field with a zimmerframe?

GalwayRed
06/11/2008, 10:02 PM
I reckon Flood missed out due to the fact he couldnt hit the form he was on during the first part of the season after his injury.....for this we can blame Leeds United:rolleyes:

stann
07/11/2008, 12:46 PM

Because Mick Foley was better.

Jersey Cow
07/11/2008, 1:49 PM
The fact that Gartland at Drogheda and Burns at Bohs are not in this is layghable!!...the two most outstanding centre-halves in the League who would make a helluva combination by the way.........same old same old, Heary, Crowe...........surprised Stuart Byrne hasn't gotten in!!;)

passinginterest
07/11/2008, 1:55 PM
The fact that Gartland at Drogheda and Burns at Bohs are not in this is layghable!!...the two most outstanding centre-halves in the League who would make a helluva combination by the way.........same old same old, Heary, Crowe...........surprised Stuart Byrne hasn't gotten in!!;)

In fairness it's voted for by the players so it's whoever impressed them most during the season, with the slight addition of being a bit of a popularity contest (notice the lack of Shels players in the first division team).

I'd have more time for theses selections than any voted for by fans anyway, particularly where it's online voting.

Lim till i die
09/11/2008, 10:48 PM
Are the Wexford players members of the PFAI??

Probably stupid question but just curious

oldyouth
10/11/2008, 7:57 AM
Are the Wexford players members of the PFAI??

Probably stupid question but just curious
I never thought of that myself. I also presume the association has subs that are paid out of wages, which our players don't have:confused:

father ted
11/11/2008, 9:11 AM
Did no one here of Darragh Maguire(srfc) or are they even afraid to mention his name!

Dodge
11/11/2008, 9:34 AM
LOL @ maguire.

Not even 3./4 years ago when he was at his peak

Joey Killester
11/11/2008, 12:57 PM
Because he takes to the field with a zimmerframe?

:rolleyes: Good "joke". Yes he is older then the average football player but still has superb pace and never gives up, unbelivable pro. You obviously have no idea so I dont know why you commented.

CMcC
11/11/2008, 1:32 PM

Gartland !!! Maybe someting to do with him making clangers in any big game he's involved in.

To be fair you probably have a point with Burns - stand out centre back for Bohs this year imo.

Olander
11/11/2008, 1:35 PM
:rolleyes: Good "joke". Yes he is older then the average football player but still has superb pace and never gives up, unbelivable pro. You obviously have no idea so I dont know why you commented.
mark rutherford is a good player joey. it was a joke :) settle down young fella!!

Rovers1
11/11/2008, 1:35 PM
Why was Glen Crowe included? :O

passinginterest
11/11/2008, 1:38 PM
Why was Glen Crowe included? :O

The same reason all the others were; his fellow professionals voted for him.

Rovers1
11/11/2008, 1:42 PM
The same reason all the others were; his fellow professionals voted for him.

FIX!:mad:

Joey Killester
11/11/2008, 1:51 PM
mark rutherford is a good player joey. it was a joke :) settle down young fella!!

Dont say it like it like that, your making me feel bad!

Dodge
17/11/2008, 12:20 AM
Fahey won

Mcginn won young poty

Cassidy got the award for the first division

Candystripe
17/11/2008, 1:12 AM
Fahey won

Mcginn won young poty

I would think Fahey and McGinn were shoe in's and win it by miles.

What's that 1st division thingy mentioned? ;)

stann
17/11/2008, 7:05 AM
Maybe unusual this year in that (IMO) nobody could crib about any of the three winners. They still will though...

charliesboots
17/11/2008, 8:18 AM
I'm biased but I'd have gone for Quigley for YPOTY

holidaysong
17/11/2008, 12:35 PM
Well done to David Cassidy. He should easily win Dundalk Player of the Year on Friday night too I'd imagine..

Seagull
17/11/2008, 2:38 PM
Fahey won

Mcginn won young poty

Any idea who won the Ref of the Year award?

thischarmingman
17/11/2008, 3:50 PM

It was definately Ian Stokes but as he approached the podium to collect his prize he was called offside by the fourth official even though he was being played onside by a table of red wines and continental cheese. As the second placed ref, Alan Kelly went up next but there's rumours that all the effort involved in winning left him without enough money for the bus home and he had to walk instead.

football fan
17/11/2008, 4:13 PM

Alan Kelly (Again!!).......

robertob
17/11/2008, 4:52 PM
Fahey won

Mcginn won young poty

Congrats to the three guys.

Fahey has deserved the 'player of the year 'award. He played a quite brilliant season and he was IMO decidedly the best player of the year. I enjoyed his kind of playing so much.

I agree with the decision of the 'young player of the year' award for McGinn too. Great season of this young guy. Although the other two nominees (Quigley and O'Shea) were good too.

rambler14
17/11/2008, 6:03 PM
Alan Kelly (Again!!).......

Well Dad did pick the winner!

Probably got it for finishing the New York Marathon cause I certainly didn't see him referee any games this year. He lost control of more games this year than ever before.

I would have given it to Richie Winter myself.