PDA

View Full Version : Rugby League

OwlsFan
05/11/2008, 4:19 PM
Ireland through to the knockout stages of the World Cup :eek:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2008/1105/ireland_samoa.html

Didn't even know we were in it until I saw the game on Sky this am.

bennocelt
05/11/2008, 5:51 PM
i am following their progress, and i didnt really expect them to come through this game - great stuff
think its Fiji next which will be tough - they massacred the French

Youths4Ever
05/11/2008, 7:11 PM
then where meant to be the whipping boys of the group and where odds on not to qualify from it. so it a very big achievement for them to get out of the group.

as bennocelt said though Fiji will be tough but you never know

pete
05/11/2008, 8:25 PM
Ireland now in World Top 6?

Nice to see the motley crew do well but it is a bizarre competition. Possibly up there with baseballs "World Series".

Jofspring
05/11/2008, 10:16 PM
Scotland shocked Fiji by beating them so i think that is who Ireland will be playing (will have to double check that though). Ireland won't fear any team in this barr Australia by the looks of things. Australia going to run away with it as easy winners. Stuffed England and New Zealand already.

Schumi
05/11/2008, 11:13 PM
Scotland shocked Fiji by beating them so i think that is who Ireland will be playing (will have to double check that though).Ireland are playing Fiji. Fiji had a big win over France and topped their group on points difference.

Ireland won't fear any team in this barr Australia by the looks of things. Australia going to run away with it as easy winners. Stuffed England and New Zealand already.Australia, England and New Zealand are sreets ahead of everyone else. Ireland wouldn't get near them.

shakermaker1982
06/11/2008, 7:15 AM
I don't follow rugby league but like the cricket world cup I've been trying to follow the games and once again we pull off an upset. Fantastic achievement. I remember reading a rugby WC preview in the guardian or observer a few weeks back and it asked the question for each team that was competing 'what is the best they can hope for in this competition?' - the Irish response had something along the lines of 'to avoid serious injury'. Yeah I know they were playing two rough and tumble nations but I thought it was a little disrespectful. So good on em for proving the doubters wrong.

Dodge
06/11/2008, 9:20 AM
And they're all Pats fans. They all got "Ni neart go cur le cheile" (put your own fadas in….) tattoos

One Irish born player played yesterday.

pete
06/11/2008, 10:13 AM
Monday, 10 November 2008
Rugby League World Cup
Fiji v Ireland, 8:55

Really bad times for matches. Sky ratings must be very small.

Dodge
06/11/2008, 10:17 AM
Really bad times for matches. Sky ratings must be very small.

You realise the games are on in Australia?

pete
06/11/2008, 10:19 AM
You realise the games are on in Australia?

Yes. :p

ifk101
06/11/2008, 10:32 AM
Is there any domestic-based players in our team? :D

passinginterest
06/11/2008, 10:37 AM

I think there might be one. They have a blog about it on the RTE website. Something like 3 or 4 of them born here and started playing here. Plenty of fellas in the squad with high level experience in England and Australia.

Here's the blog: http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/features/rugbyleague4.html

Youths4Ever
06/11/2008, 11:31 AM

yeah there is at least one carlow based player in the team

http://www.rlwc08.com/teams/Ireland.aspx player profiles

paul_oshea
06/11/2008, 2:23 PM
well we are all rugby league fans now are we, i for one have always been a rugby league fan, ye are not proper rugby league fans like me. Ye just wouldn't understand. You have to go to matches to call yourself rugby league fans.

I'd say we will beat Fiji if we can play as well as we did against tonga and put away the scores.

Dodge
06/11/2008, 2:26 PM
You have to go to matches to call yourself rugby league fans.

Agree 100%

Still think Carney is a Brit?

Only Irish born player to play yesterday (http://www.rlwc08.com/players/ireland/wayne_kerr.aspx)

OwlsFan
06/11/2008, 2:51 PM
http://rli.ie/world-cup

That's the local Rugby League website.

Roadend
06/11/2008, 3:39 PM
Agree 100%

Still think Carney is a Brit?

Only Irish born player to play yesterday (http://www.rlwc08.com/players/ireland/wayne_kerr.aspx)

Where does that Wayne Kerr play, I believe he's brilliant at pulling off big tackles.

elroy
06/11/2008, 4:03 PM
Looks like there is 5 Irish born players, and we thought the football team was bad in the early 90s!! Wonder what the criteria to qualify is for RL.

paul_oshea
06/11/2008, 8:58 PM
have a first name that sounds irish.

Ya Dodge, he aint playing for Ireland is he....;)

Dodge
06/11/2008, 9:05 PM
Ya Dodge, he aint playing for Ireland is he....;)

PLaying the other rugby now, and was in the last Irish world cup squad

Macy
07/11/2008, 9:08 AM
Same qualifying rules as any other sport. Interesting to see the same people who would see the football team trawl for Grannies having a pop though.

paul_oshea
07/11/2008, 10:15 AM
PLaying the other rugby now, and was in the last Irish world cup squad

I know that.

Dodge
07/11/2008, 10:26 AM
So why ask the question? ;)

paul_oshea
07/11/2008, 12:53 PM
I didn't I thought you'd know what I was getting at.

Dodge
07/11/2008, 1:38 PM
What are you getting at?

paul_oshea
07/11/2008, 3:38 PM
That he doesn't play rugby league anymore for Great BRITAIN!

Nor was he good enough to play for Ireland in RU either, even if 30 was too late.

Dodge
07/11/2008, 3:52 PM
He never played for great britain. he played for Great britain and Ireland

And that wasn't even the point of your previous illadvised outburst

paul_oshea
08/11/2008, 11:49 AM
He never played for great britain. he played for Great britain and Ireland

And that wasn't even the point of your previous illadvised outburst

Huh, what are ye going on about now? It wasn't an outburst, nor was it "illadvised" -whatever that means! Get up the yard ye pup ye :D

OwlsFan
11/11/2008, 7:02 AM
They were well beaten yesterday.:(

Does anyone know if it's an all Ireland team and if so, do they have a silly song like Ireland's Call?

ifk101
11/11/2008, 7:09 AM
Does anyone know if it's an all Ireland team Yes.

and if so, do they have a silly song like Ireland's Call? No.

Aberdonian Stu
22/11/2008, 10:00 AM
New Zealand has shocked the world!

In possibly the biggest upset in the history of the game, New Zealand has won its first ever Rugby League World Cup. They beat Australia 34-20 in Brisbane this morning, ending the Aussies 33 year reign as World Champions.

pete
22/11/2008, 12:39 PM
New Zealand has shocked the world!

Well the rugby league world anyway.

Don't know what the odds for the final were but Australia were 1/100 to win the tournament before their semi final.

Did the bookies get stung by this? Will there be an investigation? :p:

Aberdonian Stu
22/11/2008, 3:25 PM
Martin Offiah in the Sky studio was something else. Having been on the wrong end of numerous Ashes series and one of the closer World Cup finals over the last 3 decades, he was clearly ecstatic that someone had finally put the Aussies to the sword. He even did an homage to Bjorge Lillelien's famous "Your boys took one hell of a beating" commentary, replacing famous Britons with Aussie RL legends.

I'm not a big league fan but this is truly a feat to applaud.