PDA

View Full Version : Given to Spurs?

tommyspurr
05/11/2008, 11:50 AM
According to reports Harry is after Shay.

Tottenham are expected to make a bid for Newcastle United goalkeeper Shay Given when the transfer window re-opens in January.

A number of Wednesday's newspapers report that the Irishman will become the first purchase of new Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, with The Daily Mail claiming that 'The Newcastle goalkeeper is unhappy at the constant turmoil on Tyneside and is ready to make a move'.

With current Tottenham number one Heurelho Gomes failing to impress, Redknapp has confirmed that he would be interested in signing Given.

"Shay Given is a great goalkeeper who I admire," he announced yesterday. "Any manager would have to be interested in him if he became available."

as_i_say
05/11/2008, 11:53 AM
whats the point in that for Given? Moving from one middle o the road club to another. He is a terrific keeper that has stayed loyal to Newcastle all these years. I can't see him going anywhere except a top 4 Prem or European club unlesss the money is silly at an average club.

Sligo Hornet
05/11/2008, 12:01 PM
whats the point in that for Given? Moving from one middle o the road club to another. He is a terrific keeper that has stayed loyal to Newcastle all these years. I can't see him going anywhere except a top 4 Prem or European club unlesss the money is silly at an average club.

Which undoubtedly it would be at Spurs!

Claret Murph
05/11/2008, 12:08 PM
Which undoubtedly it would be at Spurs!

Hey Hornet at least they have a manager ;););)

Colbert Report
05/11/2008, 12:12 PM
He's been at Newcastle for ages, he's won nothing so far and will likely not win anything there before his career will be over. The club looks like it is starting all over again.

At Spurs he'll likely make the same money or more. Redknapp looks like he knows what he's doing and looks to be starting something special. He just needs to go out in January and bring in two established attacking players.

Sligo Hornet
05/11/2008, 12:16 PM
Hey Hornet at least they have a manager ;);)

That's abit below the belt Murph!:(

tommyspurr
05/11/2008, 12:49 PM
I think Shay will stay loyal, which is a bit of shame. I just think that at this point Spurs are on the way back into form and a few transfers with Harry in charge they will become alot more solid.I do think Newcastle is a sinking ship and defensively they are poor, i couldnt imagine them signing any decent defenders January as i dont think a take over will be complete and who would want to move to Newcastle at this point in time.

joeSoap
05/11/2008, 12:55 PM
I have great time for Given as a sportsman, and goalkeeper. But off the field, he's an incredibly arrogant, pompous knob with a massive ego, so going to Spurs seems like the perfect place for him to go.

paul_oshea
05/11/2008, 1:04 PM
i swear before the liverpool game i had a feeling he would! :shock:

i should have put money on this. will he go though?!

DeNiro
05/11/2008, 1:06 PM
it's not a great move for him, but it looks possible when you consider that there are links (at least at boardroom level) between Spurs and Newcastle. He's not going to get Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea at this stage. Arsenal doesn't seem a great move either. He gets good shot stopping practice at Newcastle, which won't change too much if he goes to Spurs. All in all it's a nothing move.

Hibernian
05/11/2008, 1:08 PM
I have great time for Given as a sportsman, and goalkeeper. But off the field, he's an incredibly arrogant, pompous knob with a massive ego, so going to Spurs seems like the perfect place for him to go.

must admit I dont agree with your second point there. Dont think he has the big ego thing in fairness. Just my opinion I suppose

jbyrne
05/11/2008, 2:00 PM

thats complete nonsense. back it up

back of the net
05/11/2008, 2:35 PM
looks to be starting something special. .

and your basing this on.....???

3 games ...

a fluke win against liverpool ...where they should have been hammered out of sight by halftime

a fluke draw against arsenal...again where they would have been well beaten only for arsenal forgetting how to defend and having a terrible keeper

and a win against a limited bolton side

i wouldnt get to carried away there colbert....

given should only leave newcastle for a top 4 club

back of the net
05/11/2008, 2:45 PM

back that up --- where did u get this sh*t from?

Hibs4Ever
05/11/2008, 2:47 PM
and your basing this on.....???

3 games ...

a fluke win against liverpool ...where they should have been hammered out of sight by halftime

a fluke draw against arsenal...again where they would have been well beaten only for arsenal forgetting how to defend and having a terrible keeper

and a win against a limited bolton side

i wouldnt get to carried away there colbert....

given should only leave newcastle for a top 4 club

3 games they'd most likely have lost under Ramos

I don't think Given should go to Spurs though

hunt4the
05/11/2008, 2:54 PM

here here,
he's head is planted firmly up his arse

jbyrne
05/11/2008, 2:59 PM
here here,

really, how do you know this?? met him once myself and didnt get this impression at all

back of the net
05/11/2008, 2:59 PM
3 games they'd most likely have lost under Ramos

maybe so...

but hardly the basis of redknapp starting something "special" at spurs

elroy
05/11/2008, 3:17 PM
here here,

Ye two are the first I have ever heard to say anything like this about Shay, only have ever heard good reports.

I think if there is a possiblity of a move, Arsenal should be where he goes. Almunia isnt exactly covering himself in glory at the mo. Although it wouldnt be like AW splashing the cash on a keeper. Plus i think they still have Fabianski.

I'll probably regret saying this but i think Kinnear is exactly the type of manager Newcastle need. No sh*t with him, they may not play the attractive full the "toon" want but he will create a solid team there that will work hard and get results. Maybe not top 6 stuff, but will be a lot more consistent than they have in the past.

OwlsFan
05/11/2008, 4:36 PM
"Shay Given is a great goalkeeper who I admire," he announced yesterday. "Any manager would have to be interested in him if he became available."

Newcastle won't make him available. End of story (and that's all it is).

FarBeag
05/11/2008, 4:49 PM
I think he was a sound fellow. He is always willing to show his appreciation to the crowd at the end of a game particularly the away ones. I met him briefly in the Faroe Islands and he was grand.

Irish_Praha
05/11/2008, 5:34 PM

Is he one of the senior players that refused to sign his autograph for some children a few months ago?

Edit: as the question mark indicates that was a question, I'm nottrying to start rumours.

Hibs4Ever
05/11/2008, 6:29 PM
Ye two are the first I have ever heard to say anything like this about Shay, only have ever heard good reports.

Interesting that the 2 who said it won't give reasons why. Obviously just bored children

GenerationXI
06/11/2008, 10:20 AM
He's been at Newcastle for ages, he's won nothing so far and will likely not win anything there before his career will be over.

How's this going to change at Spurs? Newcastle are a nothing club from up north and Spurs are a nothing club from London. Wasting his time if he settles for anything less than Arsenal.

Top 5 my @rse TottenSham. :rolleyes:

sadloserkid
06/11/2008, 10:28 AM
Sideways move at best if it does happen. Redknapp will lead Spurs to the glory of mid table, fail to take them any higher and be gone before the end of next season.

GenerationXI
06/11/2008, 11:25 AM
Redknapp will lead Spurs to the glory of mid table, fail to take them any higher and be gone before the end of next season.

Awww! But I want them relegated!!! :(

co. down green
06/11/2008, 11:39 AM

I've met Shay on two occasions and he was friendly, accomodating and very down to earth.

He does a huge ammount of charity work and has raised over £2 Million for Macmillan Cancer Relief in the last few years and is raising awareness and funds on a weekly basis.

Also runs the Shay Given Foundation (http://shaygivenfoundation.org/aboutus.aspx)for kids in Ireland & Newcastle.

From an Ireland perspective, i'm not sure that a move from Newcastle to Spurs would be of any benefit.

jbyrne
06/11/2008, 12:10 PM
i see our two friends havent been back to back up their slander of shay

Sligo Hornet
06/11/2008, 12:27 PM

No surprise.......and they're no friends of ours JB

Wolfie
06/11/2008, 12:34 PM
It would be a major surprise if Shay was anything but a thoroughly sound bloke and indeed all round good egg.

Is Foot.ie involved in some sort of bizarre puritanical festival at the moment? There's 2 threads defending the upstanding and undeniably sound moral fibre of the Irish players past and present.

Carrigaline
06/11/2008, 12:49 PM
Given won't move. He's had the chances before to move to bigger clubs, but has always spurned them. As far as I know, his family are settled in Newcastle and he's happy being a big fish in the small pond.

I think this is a blatant attempt by Redknapp to unsettle a player and engineer a move to swoop for him.

Wolfie
06/11/2008, 12:53 PM

Newcastle won't make him available. End of story (and that's all it is).

Lads - I think Owlsfan has summed this up. Certainly for now - there's nothing much concrete in this.

There's nothing more sinsiter that someone reading too much into attributed quotes.

hunt4the
06/11/2008, 3:37 PM

I've only met him on one occasion,
He was in a nightclub in Templebar I asked him what he thought of the game which we'd won 3-1 against Andorra, and he said
"ah go f urself", he sat at our table due to the college ladies we were with, and it was nothing like any of us were annoying him,
he was with the chaos doherty and mark kinsella at the time,
and they were sound though!!

case closed :confused:

amaccann
06/11/2008, 3:53 PM
He was in a nightclub in Templebar I asked him what he thought of the game which we'd won 3-1 against Andorra, and he said
"ah go f urself", he sat at our table due to the college ladies we were with, and it was nothing like any of us were annoying him,

Hardly case closed; and given (hoho) he had let one in past Andorra, he probably wasn't in the best of moods & thought you were gonna take the p*ss out of him. So fair enough if he told you to sling your hook to be honest.

Tir Oilean
06/11/2008, 7:48 PM

Horse Poo

Tir Oilean
06/11/2008, 7:54 PM

Sorry, I missed this post. He must be an ar sehole so:rolleyes:

back of the net
06/11/2008, 11:04 PM

did he also tell u that u talk B.S?

hunt4the
07/11/2008, 8:44 AM
did he also tell u that u talk B.S?

why the f#*k would i make that up :mad:,

I was as surprised as anyone would be, I always thought he was a genuine guy and very appreciative of the fans, from his onfield demeanour.

Hence here here