PDA

View Full Version : Sat Navs

A face
04/11/2008, 11:06 PM
Anyone have one? Garmin and Tom-Tom have the best maps from what i hear. What would you expect to pay for one these days?

Any info is good. Anyone having any problems with them?

dahamsta
05/11/2008, 12:01 AM
I spent ages researching this earlier in the year, as I was going to Croatia on honeymoon and renting a car for 2 weeks, so I needed something I could rely on. I went with Garmin because the general consensus seemed to be that the maps are slightly better at the moment, and it's more configuarable. Tom Tom seems to be more common denominator fare though, so it's probably easier to use for non-techies.

The one I bought in the end was the Garmin Nuvi 760, which is the one-from-the-top I usually go for in gadgets. It has everything most people should need, with UK, Irish and European maps. If you need US maps, I think you'll need a 770. Got it on Dabs for about €300 at the time.

EDIT: Forgot about performance. It served us very well in Croatia within the limited mapping in that area, however I'd recommend always having a map available too, as there are errors, even locally.

HTH,
adam

A face
05/11/2008, 12:11 PM
There is an offer on in Comet, in Italy for a Garmin Nuvi 250 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6324) for €130 (Tom-Tom for €100). Is that worth it?

Edit: Scratch that, they are on Komplett (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334943) for the same price.

Where did you buy the 750? Dabs? Whazzat?

sligoman
05/11/2008, 12:22 PM
Where did you buy the 750? Dabs? Whazzat?Here (http://www.dabs.ie/productlist.aspx?&NavigationKey=11035&CategorySelectedId=11035&PageMode=1).

don ramo
16/11/2008, 12:55 PM
sat navs are useless buy a map, went to derry friday, i dunno where the hell the thing bought us, took nearly 8 hours to get home, last time was 6 that was with a map, the thing tried avoiding main roads tolls, even after telling it not to:mad:

DmanDmythDledge
16/11/2008, 8:01 PM
sat navs are useless buy a map, went to derry friday, i dunno where the hell the thing bought us, took nearly 8 hours to get home, last time was 6 that was with a map, the thing tried avoiding main roads tolls, even after telling it not to:mad:
Yeah same thing happened to me when I was going to Derry (I wasn't the driver though). Sat nav took us on a back road that would avoid some town (even though there was a bypass). All of a sudden we see a load of Union Jacks and kerbs painted red, blue and white. Thankfully we only went through the outskirts of the place.

rambler14
16/11/2008, 9:26 PM

Funny it only took us 6 and a half coming home using sat nav. We left at 10pm and got home at 4.30am.
I thought it was brilliant a Nypo I think it was called. I'd highly recommend it. In fact i'm buying one myself in the next few weeks.

pete
17/11/2008, 9:56 AM
Sat Navs will destroy the art of map reading within 5 years.

You should not need a sat Nav to drive 300 miles up the country. You should at very least plan your journey with a map.

Worked with a guy who used Sat Nav to drive to work in Dublin. Needless to say took much longer than it should as device could not tell him the rat runs.

John83
17/11/2008, 3:59 PM
Sat Navs will destroy the art of map reading within 5 years.
Matches and conventional ovens have destroyed the average person's ability to make fire from sticks and stones.

You should not need a sat Nav to drive 300 miles up the country. You should at very least plan your journey with a map.

Worked with a guy who used Sat Nav to drive to work in Dublin. Needless to say took much longer than it should as device could not tell him the rat runs.
I think you have to be some sort of moron to use it to get to work every day, but if you don't know where you're going, having something that never misses a signpost (even when there aren't any signposts) is definately handy. Maps are great for getting from the M50 to where the A5 hits Derry (or whatever road you take from Dublin), but you then need a smaller map to get you the rest of the way, or good directions, or the ability to speak Derry-hi.

pete
17/11/2008, 4:05 PM
Matches and conventional ovens have destroyed the average person's ability to make fire from sticks and stones.

We are much the worse for it. When the world is drained of its oil we won't have any means of creating fire.

John83
17/11/2008, 6:27 PM
We are much the worse for it. When the world is drained of its oil we won't have any means of creating fire.
I have a sneaking suspicion we'll figure it out in the first few minutes after OPEC holds up its hands and says, "Sorry, completely sold out".