PDA

View Full Version : Best pitch of the year

gufc4life
04/11/2008, 3:53 PM
well its down to the last 3 this year its between Ferrycarrig Park ,Terryland Park and Tolka Park what you think?

http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/news-1/2008/november/index.xml

Inside Man
04/11/2008, 3:56 PM
Personnally i think The Carlisle grounds is a lovely surface.

Duffman
04/11/2008, 3:59 PM
Tolka probably deserves some sort of award for the amount of traffic it gets but the best I have seen all year in in Wexford. Given that there are no warmups on it then it probably gets the least traffic ;)

oldyouth
04/11/2008, 4:06 PM
Obviously it is Ferrycarrig Park:D However, I was impressed with UCDs surface (not the ground though)

Guitd
04/11/2008, 4:14 PM
terryland --has about 100 games a year

Jersey Cow
04/11/2008, 4:20 PM
Surprised Oriel is not on the list...has the surface of a billiard table!!

Schumi
04/11/2008, 4:21 PM
Terryland is the best I've seen this year. I haven't been to Wexford though.

I was impressed with UCDs surface Really? It was decent enough in the second half of the year but not a patch on the old place.

pineapple stu
04/11/2008, 4:21 PM
Obviously it is Ferrycarrig Park:D However, I was impressed with UCDs surface (not the ground though)
:confused:

Complete other way around, I'd say.

Sam_Heggy
04/11/2008, 4:29 PM
Has to be Finn Park. :p

In all seriousness, Richmond looked decent but Wexford is the best surface I have seen. Got a good look at every ground on Thursday and Friday last week and Wexford was far superior to the rest.

sligored
04/11/2008, 4:30 PM
terryland by a long way for me - pitch is like a carpet and away teams are allowed warm up on it before a match.
tolka was in good condition in july but i still favour galway.

Red&White Rover
04/11/2008, 4:41 PM
Far from being the best surface in the league, I think it has to be mentioned that the Showgrounds pitch has improved dramatically over the season.

forza rovers
04/11/2008, 5:40 PM
terryland imo its like a carpet

oldyouth
04/11/2008, 5:40 PM
:confused:

Complete other way around, I'd say.
Nope, not in my opinion. I thought it had a nice surface with an even bounce. No atmosphere in the ground, no shop open (when we were there) restricted views with the roof support and stewards who wouldn't let us stand. Not as good as the old place.
Anyway, I covered all this before.

oldyouth
04/11/2008, 5:43 PM
Has to be Finn Park. :p

In all seriousness, Richmond looked decent but Wexford is the best surface I have seen. Got a good look at every ground on Thursday and Friday last week and Wexford was far superior to the rest.
Last Wednesday night it had cut up badly when used for a Wexford District League match, so imagine what it is usually like. The groundsman, Seanie O'Shea deserves great credit for (both) our pitches

A face
04/11/2008, 6:03 PM
I think a lot of grounds have really improved which is excellent but there is none that really stand out as being consistently good.

Youths4Ever
04/11/2008, 6:33 PM
Tolka was good a few weeks ago when we played up there and anytime we have been there pitch has been good. Have not seen Terryland in person but always looks good on highlights and matches never seems to cut up much.

Wexford pitch IMO is the best in first division of course though I am slightly biased

pineapple stu
04/11/2008, 7:13 PM
I thought it had a nice surface with an even bounce. No atmosphere in the ground, no shop open (when we were there) restricted views with the roof support and stewards who wouldn't let us stand. Not as good as the old place.
How is any of that different to the old ground?:confused:

Standing is permitted in the far open area.

Paddyfield
04/11/2008, 7:23 PM
Far from being the best surface in the league, I think it has to be mentioned that the Showgrounds pitch has improved dramatically over the season.

Agreed. It has improved a lot in just 2 years.

sligoman
04/11/2008, 7:24 PM
Nope, not in my opinion. I thought it had a nice surface with an even bounce. No atmosphere in the ground, no shop open (when we were there) restricted views with the roof support and stewards who wouldn't let us stand.No hot food there either, which is a breach of licencing...although I'm sure the licencing commitee have more important things to be dealing with this season.

oldyouth
04/11/2008, 7:43 PM
How is any of that different to the old ground?:confused:

Standing is permitted in the far open area.
I'm not getting in to a big debate about it (again) but when I refer to the old ground I'm talking pre-'90 when I attended a lot of games there when I lived locally.
Back to the thread

thischarmingman
04/11/2008, 8:13 PM
Terryland was good but Ferrycarrig was better. Then again, I'm loath for Youths to win this and give Mick more ammunition for forbidding teams to warm up on it.

gufc4life
04/11/2008, 8:25 PM
terryland is amazing for the 80+ games played on it this year im sure if you put that much games on the other ground s they would dig up more.It just shows the quailty of terryland imo

Larry 'da' Wyse
05/11/2008, 8:43 AM
Is it a bit of a worry that other newish pitches are not in the shake-up?
Athlone and Longford for instance. Was Jackman Park resodded when Limerick 37 moved back?

L37Ultra
05/11/2008, 8:47 AM
Top 3 pitches this season are:

1. Wexford's main pitch

2. Wexford's training/warm-up pitch.

3. Wexford's car park

Battery Rover
05/11/2008, 8:54 AM
A big problem with ours is that it is sand based and only 2 years old. Over time the grass roots should strenghten and give a more solid cover and make it less prone to damage. It has improved considerably over the past two months but needs another couple of seasons for it to really bed in.

Having seen the three pitches this season I would find it hard to judge which would be the best. Ferrycarrig is always in top condition and Terryland for the cup match despite the rain look great and had a great covering of grass. Tolka has really improved this season as well with a good even surface.

One question on Terryland that someone might be able to answer for me is who pays for the maintainance ie fertiliser etc is it Galway or the Galway league.

Reason I am asking is that the biggest cost for us on the pitch is the €25k a season for verti draining, sanding, fertiliser etc

pineapple stu
05/11/2008, 11:21 AM
I'm not getting in to a big debate about it (again) but when I refer to the old ground I'm talking pre-'90 when I attended a lot of games there when I lived locally.
Back to the thread
Last comment, but if you're saying Belfield Park pre 90s was better than the Bowl, you're simply wrong.

Back on topic, the Bowl's surface was probably the worst in the league at the start of the season, but in fairness, there's been brilliant work on it, and it's in near-perfect nick now. Just in time for the rugger buggers to start destroying it again. :) Interesting to see how it is for the start of next season.

Footsoldier
05/11/2008, 11:26 AM

1. Wexford's main pitch

3. Wexford's car park

Is it the top car park or the bottom car park? :D

Tolka has a brilliant surface and it's better than any other pitch we've seen on our travels this year. Can't pass judgement on Terryland as I haven't been there.

holidaysong
05/11/2008, 11:38 AM
Oriel Park

Guitd
05/11/2008, 12:04 PM
Oriel Park

plastic dosent count its only assessed on grass pitches as far as i know

oldyouth
05/11/2008, 12:20 PM
Back on topic, the Bowl's surface was probably the worst in the league at the start of the season, but in fairness, there's been brilliant work on it, and it's in near-perfect nick now. Just in time for the rugger buggers to start destroying it again. :) Interesting to see how it is for the start of next season.
Belfield Park for the atmosphere, the bowl for the pitch. We look forward to visiting again next season

Schumi
05/11/2008, 2:11 PM
Belfield Park for the atmosphere, the bowl for the pitch. We look forward to visiting again next seasonLooking forward to a visit to Wexford myself. Visiting a few new grounds will be one positive.

Dodge
05/11/2008, 2:15 PM
LOL @ tolka getting nominated. Kip of a pitch.

Other two are fine though

iceman
05/11/2008, 2:21 PM
United Park really is in excellent condition.

ForzaWexford
05/11/2008, 6:55 PM
Galway got it last year. Spread the love Institute of Groundsmanship. About all we've a chance of winning for a while yet. :p

Tir Oilean
05/11/2008, 8:52 PM

1. Wexford's main pitch

3. Wexford's car park

Good to see Limerick wouldnt settle for second best for that clash in Wexford!

Tir Oilean
05/11/2008, 8:53 PM
Oriel Park

HaHaHa Thud! ....I just fell off me chair laughing. Good one Holidaysong!

redobit
06/11/2008, 8:51 AM
Last comment, but if you're saying Belfield Park pre 90s was better than the Bowl, you're simply wrong.

Sorry Stu but im afraid we would have had to take that title. In saying that we are well improved and it really is in good nick now. The worst pitch iv seen is Finn Park, you wouldnt play rugby on on it.

WindmillWarrior
06/11/2008, 10:12 AM
United Park is a class surface. Always has been, but rarely gets the plaudits.

WoodquayBoy
10/11/2008, 4:29 PM
Terryland named as best surface, congrats to Noel Connolly, two in a row
http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/facilities/terryland-best-in-the-league.html

oldyouth
10/11/2008, 5:20 PM
Congrats to Galway and Noel Connelly. I haven't been to Terryland but it must be very special to have pipped us.

Well done

Demoshield
10/11/2008, 6:35 PM
Wait for it !!!!
IT'S A FIX ;):)
The FAI said it looked very good on dvd!!:rolleyes:

CameramanConka
11/11/2008, 9:05 AM
Surprised Oriel is not on the list...has the surface of a billiard table!!

I hate that phrase. I mean, have your ever actually tried to run on a billiard table. Wearing football boots. It's no fun, let me tell you. As is running on 'carpet' too.