PDA

View Full Version : Mc Ginn included in N Ireland squad

Flexy
04/11/2008, 3:47 PM
Well done to Niall McGinn for getting picked for the friendly with Hungary on 19th November. I wonder will McCourt get picked as well.

finnpark
04/11/2008, 4:32 PM
Well done to Niall McGinn for getting picked for the friendly with Hungary on 19th November. I wonder will McCourt get picked as well.

Well done, thats great news. Hope he gets a game too. :)

I doubt McCourt will since he is not a first team player at Glasgow. He scored some goal for their reserves though, saw it on Youtube.

finnpark
04/11/2008, 4:49 PM
Paddy McCourt's goal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdIgZLX0WK0

:)

brendy_éire
04/11/2008, 4:57 PM
Could it possibly be a move to secure his 'northern' status? They might play him once and never again just to stop him playing for the south. Paddy McCourt springs to mind.

brianw82
04/11/2008, 4:58 PM
Could well be. Don't really know many players for the North, who's he up against for a slot on the wing?

finnpark
04/11/2008, 5:23 PM
Could it possibly be a move to secure his 'northern' status? They might play him once and never again just to stop him playing for the south. Paddy McCourt springs to mind.

Its more than Brady is doing anyway.

Could Brian Murphy and Keith Fahy declare for NI? Do UEFA/FIFA recognise that ROI nationals can claim to be NIish?

A face
04/11/2008, 6:18 PM
McGinn is a great player and deserves a chance to get into the team. He has more of a chance of getting into the Northern Ireland team so maybe its a good move for him. I wouldn't hold breath for any eL player getting into Irish squad.

Could Brian Murphy and Keith Fahy declare for NI? Do UEFA/FIFA recognise that ROI nationals can claim to be NIish?

I'd love to see it and see them qualify for the next 5 competitions.

superfrank
04/11/2008, 7:01 PM
Fair play to him. Nice to have a bit of good publicity for the league.

After all, Northern Ireland (http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html) are better than the Republic. :)

finnpark
04/11/2008, 7:11 PM
Fair play to him. Nice to have a bit of good publicity for the league.

After all, Northern Ireland (http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html) are better than the Republic. :)

Yes, but ROI have a much easier qualifying group this time than Ni so will pass them out

fionnsci
04/11/2008, 7:28 PM
Yes, but ROI have a much easier qualifying group this time than Ni so will pass them out

I disagree, I believe that all the teams in our group are better than (Italy/Czech, Bulgaria/Poland, Montenegro/San Marino) or at least equal to (Cyprus/Slovakia, Georgia/Slovenia) their counterparts in the North's group.

dcfcsteve
05/11/2008, 12:07 PM

Maybe yes, maybe no. But the south could have done the same. They didn't.

Given how much grief City fans give the IFA for not picking Derry players, it seems they can't win when they do pick them either....

dcfcsteve
05/11/2008, 12:11 PM

Under the Good Friday Agreement, citiziens of the Republic are entitled to the same dual nationality as citizens of the north.

They're therefore entitled to a British passport, which would make them 100% eligible for the north (or any other nation in the UK).

If NI-born players can play for the north with an Irish passport (and that issue appears to be still panning out), then southern-born players with an Irish passport should be entitled to the same under the GFA.

I doubt they'd be bothered though.

EalingGreen
05/11/2008, 12:34 PM
Could it possibly be a move to secure his 'northern' status? They might play him once and never again just to stop him playing for the south.
No, since:
1. There is no reported interest by the FAI;
2. Having played U-23 level for NI and now being over 21, he may be tied already (not sure of the status of his U-23 cap);
3. The player himself seems quite happy to play for us:
There has been a lot of talk about one thing and another over the last few weeks, but to get a call up for my country is amazing," he said.
"If Nigel Worthington were to call me up and say I was part of his plans, firstly I would be shocked, but then it would be unbelievable.
http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/sport/McGinn-to-get-NI-callup.4659088.jp

Paddy McCourt springs to mind.
Nonsense. Having just moved to Rochdale the previous year, the 18 year-old McCourt was picked by (the ineffably incompetent) Sammy McIlroy to come on as sub for his NI debut at home to Spain in 2002. We got beaten 5-0 at home in that game, the second in a run of 13 games where we didn't even score! We were embarrassed, and no harm to McCourt, but he was completely out of his depth. As was the other Rochdale substitute who came on, Liverpool-born Lee McEvilly, now with Cambridge Utd in the Conference. I don't hear people claiming he was picked to keep England out...;)
Anyhow, after a sparkling start in England, during which Rochdale turned down high bids from big clubs(!), McCourt's career went absolutely nowhere, so that he ended up making just 31 starts in four years for arguably the worst team in the entire professional game in England.
He then drifted back to Ireland, where his career revived. However, Lawrie Sanchez was by now manager, and despite (because of?) his having been a former Sligo Rovers manager, he clearly didn't rate players from either EL or IL, and so didn't pick him. Notably, however, he did gain the last of his 9 U-21 caps for NI as late as 2005.
The other factor which mitigated against McCourt was that NI's first choice in his position is the incredibly consistent and injury-free Keith Gillespie (81 caps), or Damien Johnson (48 caps), now a central midfielder, but who started his career with Blackburn on the right wing.
Anyhow, the good news is that with McCourt's stock continuing to rise, and with Worthington being much more receptive to EL/IL players, the move to Celtic could finally see Paddy get right back on track towards realising the wonderful talent which he has always undoubtedly possessed.
Here's hoping, since with Gillespie now 33, the opening is there for him - unless Niall McGinn sneaks in there first!

Dodge
05/11/2008, 12:47 PM
Good luck to the lad. Hopefully the political baggage on this thread doesn't affect him

EalingGreen
05/11/2008, 12:48 PM
Maybe yes, maybe no. But the south could have done the same. They didn't.

Given how much grief City fans give the IFA for not picking Derry players, it seems they can't win when they do pick them either....
Indeed.

Moreover, when some DCFC fans complain about the IFA not selecting players from one of the leading clubs in a clearly improving league, they overlook two things:
1. The FAI doesn't pick too many EL players, including DCFC, for full caps;
2. NI have (and do) pick DCFC players from time-to-time for under-age teams. However, as we know, only a minority of under-age players ever make the step-up to full international class.
On which point, I recall DCFC fans championing the cause e.g. of former NI U-21 player, Darren Kelly. He's now in and out of a York City team playing in the Conference i.e. English 5th Division...

EalingGreen
05/11/2008, 1:11 PM
Under the Good Friday Agreement, citiziens of the Republic are entitled to the same dual nationality as citizens of the north.

They're therefore entitled to a British passport, which would make them 100% eligible for the north
Not sure this is correct(?), though it is irrelevant to the issue of selection by the IFA, for the reasons outlined below.

(or any other nation in the UK).

Definitely NOT so. For British Passport holders born outside the UK, who do not have a parent or grandparent from one of the four "home" countries, a special agreement governing such cases has been drawn up by the 4 British Associations and lodged with FIFA. I doubt whether it allows such players to play for NI; it would most definitely NOT allow them to represent E, S, or W, at least unless they were living and playing in one of those countries.

If NI-born players can play for the north with an Irish passport (and that issue appears to be still panning out), then southern-born players with an Irish passport should be entitled to the same under the GFA.

I doubt they'd be bothered though.
Wrong. The GFA deals with Nationality*, not footballing eligibility. Once someones Nationality is established, however, FIFA Rules then determine which National Association(s) a player may be eligible to represent.
It seems it has now been established that NI-born Irish nationals may represent the FAI, but the reverse has nowhere been proposed, tested or established (at least since 1950).
In fact, when this whole eligibility issue was being debated by FIFA recently, one compromise they suggested (to mollify an IFA disgruntled at losing NI-born players to the FAI?), was that the IFA might be allowed to select ROI-born players. This offer implies that it has not been open to the IFA to do so heretofore. The IFA rejected this out of hand.
Moreover, even if that offer were restored, and there were ROI born players both willing and good enough, I have absolutely no doubt that the IFA wouldn't countenance the idea for a second, for a whole raft of reasons.
Which suits me personally, since I wouldn't want, and the team doesn't need, the ROI's "sloppy seconds"! ;)

* - And in fact merely confirms in writing the status quo ante from 1921, whereby NI-born people were always entitled to ROI citizenship and Passport)

EalingGreen
05/11/2008, 1:15 PM
Good luck to the lad. Hopefully the political baggage on this thread doesn't affect him
Couldn't agree more, on both counts!

holidaysong
05/11/2008, 1:51 PM
Not sure this is correct(?), though it is irrelevant to the issue of selection by the IFA, for the reasons outlined below.

It's not correct. ROI citizens are not entitled to a British passport.

Krstic
05/11/2008, 3:13 PM
Niall McGinn is an excellent player with bags of potential, however if he warrants a call up based on his performances for Derry City then Paddy McCourt also deserved a call.

I hope I'm wrong but I have to agree with another poster, this may be a token cap to keep him away from the FAI.

EalingGreen
05/11/2008, 3:32 PM
Niall McGinn is an excellent player with bags of potential, however if he warrants a call up based on his performances for Derry City then Paddy McCourt also deserved a call.

You may be correct about McCourt having merited a look before now, but Lawrie Sanchez didn't agree and whatever his reasons, these will NOT have been political.
Whereas since he took over comparatively recently, Nigel Worthington has been much more receptive to domestic players, including making encouraging noises about McCourt who, if he's not in the Hungary squad, will only be being kept out by McGinn.
Or put it another way, do you think Trappatoni should be fast-tracking Cillian Sheridan, on the basis that at least he's getting the odd start for Celtic, unlike McCourt, who is still basically a Celtic Reserve?

I hope I'm wrong but I have to agree with another poster, this may be a token cap to keep him away from the FAI.
http://irishleaguegreats.blogspot.com/2008/06/northern-ireland-international.html
McGinn has already played for the NI U-23 team (above), which I am pretty sure counts as "opting" for NI, which would mean since he is now over 21, it is too late for him to switch.
Moreover, even if the above game doesn't apply, the Hungary game is only a friendly, so it wouldn't tie him to us anyhow.

Besides, in playing for DCFC in the EL, the FAI is at least as likely to be aware of him as the IFA, yet there hasn't been the slightest suggestion that the FAI are interested in McGinn.

So can we have an end to the conspiracy theories?

Derry
05/11/2008, 4:13 PM
No, since:
1. There is no reported interest by the FAI;
2. Having played U-23 level for NI and now being over 21, he may be tied already (not sure of the status of his U-23 cap);
3. The player himself seems quite happy to play for us:
There has been a lot of talk about one thing and another over the last few weeks, but to get a call up for my country is amazing," he said.
"If Nigel Worthington were to call me up and say I was part of his plans, firstly I would be shocked, but then it would be unbelievable.
http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/sport/McGinn-to-get-NI-callup.4659088.jp

Nonsense. Having just moved to Rochdale the previous year, the 18 year-old McCourt was picked by (the ineffably incompetent) Sammy McIlroy to come on as sub for his NI debut at home to Spain in 2002. We got beaten 5-0 at home in that game, the second in a run of 13 games where we didn't even score! We were embarrassed, and no harm to McCourt, but he was completely out of his depth. As was the other Rochdale substitute who came on, Liverpool-born Lee McEvilly, now with Cambridge Utd in the Conference. I don't hear people claiming he was picked to keep England out...;)
Anyhow, after a sparkling start in England, during which Rochdale turned down high bids from big clubs(!), McCourt's career went absolutely nowhere, so that he ended up making just 31 starts in four years for arguably the worst team in the entire professional game in England.
He then drifted back to Ireland, where his career revived. However, Lawrie Sanchez was by now manager, and despite (because of?) his having been a former Sligo Rovers manager, he clearly didn't rate players from either EL or IL, and so didn't pick him. Notably, however, he did gain the last of his 9 U-21 caps for NI as late as 2005.
The other factor which mitigated against McCourt was that NI's first choice in his position is the incredibly consistent and injury-free Keith Gillespie (81 caps), or Damien Johnson (48 caps), now a central midfielder, but who started his career with Blackburn on the right wing.
Anyhow, the good news is that with McCourt's stock continuing to rise, and with Worthington being much more receptive to EL/IL players, the move to Celtic could finally see Paddy get right back on track towards realising the wonderful talent which he has always undoubtedly possessed.
Here's hoping, since with Gillespie now 33, the opening is there for him - unless Niall McGinn sneaks in there first!

Nonsense. Your excuse for Worthington not picking Paddy McCourt doesn't stand up. The players you mention are still playing. Paddy was easily the best player on the pitch when Linfield played Derry City at windsor, yet three Linfield players got picked ahead of him. Paddy is still the same player now as he was with Derry City, yet he never got picked playing for them.

gustavo
05/11/2008, 5:37 PM
Yea but are those Linfield players that got picked ahead of McCourt in the NI squad in the same position as him? If not the point is moot as they might have more quality in his position than the ones the Linfield guys Gault , Thompson and Mannus I presume

Dassa
05/11/2008, 6:32 PM
Lads can we not just leave all the political crap to the side for a change and wish this young lad all the best.

I hope Niall enjoys the experience and that he develops as a player.

Sniffer
05/11/2008, 7:38 PM
Spot on, his star is rising and best of luck to him. He's still a little raw but has metric tonnes of potential and is fast developing into the most exciting player in the league.

EalingGreen
05/11/2008, 7:46 PM
Nonsense. Your excuse for Worthington not picking Paddy McCourt doesn't stand up. The players you mention are still playing. Paddy was easily the best player on the pitch when Linfield played Derry City at windsor, yet three Linfield players got picked ahead of him. Paddy is still the same player now as he was with Derry City, yet he never got picked playing for them.
Alan Mannus is a goalkeeper, Michael Gault is a ball-winning midfielder and Peter Thompson is a goalscoring No.9. Whereas McCourt is a ball-playing right winger like Keith Gillespie, only not remotely so accomplished.

Besides, unlike Sanchez, Nigel Worthington's willingness to consider domestic players is unquestionable, whether IL or EL.

Otherwise, how do account for his decision to pick Niall McGinn? Is he only prejudiced against Derry City players whose surname starts with "McC", not "McG"? :rolleyes:

As DCFC Steve said, "Damned if you do, Damned if you don't..."

seanfhear
05/11/2008, 10:35 PM
Did the FAI give the lad the opportunity to play for Ireland.

He should have been given the choice as we need to have as many options as possible.

dcfcsteve
05/11/2008, 11:30 PM
Did the FAI give the lad the opportunity to play for Ireland.

He should have been given the choice as we need to have as many options as possible.

No - it's part of the FAI's politically-inspired conspiracy to ignore Derry City players....

A face
06/11/2008, 10:45 AM
No - it's part of the FAI's politically-inspired conspiracy to ignore Derry City players....

Whatever the inspiration they are ignoring all LOI players not just the Derry ones.

EalingGreen
06/11/2008, 11:48 AM
Whatever the inspiration they are ignoring all LOI players not just the Derry ones.
Exactly.
The FAI ignored EL players, even during the dark days of Stan, for no reason.
Whereas the IFA ignored EL players from the one club which had eligible players, for purely political reasons.
That figures.

P.S. I am disappointed that we are now onto the second page of this thread without someone bringing up Neil Lennon...:rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
06/11/2008, 12:05 PM
P.S. I am disappointed that we are now onto the second page of this thread without someone bringing up Neil Lennon...:rolleyes:

It was sad that the best of The Beatles was also the first to die......

A face
06/11/2008, 12:09 PM
Exactly.
The FAI ignored EL players, even during the dark days of Stan, for no reason.
Whereas the IFA ignored EL players from the one club which had eligible players, for purely political reasons.
That figures.

For the record, I was referring to the FAI

eelmonster
06/11/2008, 12:10 PM

Ha, I doubt he would have been mentioned at all but for your comment, you're some sheet stirrer. Everyone knows that the 'Lennon incident' won't be brought up until McGinn makes his full debut for NI and is roundly booed by the Windsor Loyal ... :rolleyes:

I'm delighted for McGinn, and hope he gets a run out against Hungary.

EalingGreen
06/11/2008, 12:27 PM
Ha, I doubt he would have been mentioned at all but for your comment, you're some sheet stirrer. Everyone knows that the 'Lennon incident' won't be brought up until McGinn makes his full debut for NI and is roundly booed by the Windsor Loyal ... :rolleyes:

So now you're condemning us for something before it even happens? The best I can say about that comment is that it is pathetic.

P.S. Unless you're suggesting Nigel has only called McGinn up in order to give the "Windsor Loyal" a new figure to boo, in the absence of Lennon? Aye, you're right, I wouldn't put it past those hooers...:rolleyes:

eelmonster
06/11/2008, 12:33 PM
So now you're condemning us for something before it even happens? The best I can say about that comment is that it is pathetic.

P.S. Unless you're suggesting Nigel has only called McGinn up in order to give the "Windsor Loyal" a new figure to boo, in the absence of Lennon? Aye, you're right, I wouldn't put it past those hooers...:rolleyes:

If you've taken my post seriously, you're an idiot.

EalingGreen
06/11/2008, 12:52 PM
If you've taken my post seriously, you're an idiot.
You're right, I'm an idiot. Anyone who takes you seriously is an idiot.

Sam_Heggy
06/11/2008, 1:19 PM
All I can say is Kenny you theiving barsteward, we had McGinn lined up to sign for us along with Callaghan and he signed both of them without seeing them play :mad:

Sour grapes? Most definitely :p

Best of luck to the lad, quality player and a move to the championship in England would be well deserved.
His goal on Sunday night in the Randywell was a contender for goal of the month imo.

Krstic
06/11/2008, 2:09 PM
All I can say is Kenny you theiving barsteward, we had McGinn lined up to sign for us along with Callaghan and he signed both of them without seeing them play :mad:

Best of luck to the lad, quality player and a move to the championship in England would be well deserved.
His goal on Sunday night in the Randywell was a contender for goal of the month imo.

I think you're mistaken, Callaghan Yes but not mcGinn.
Kenny had been preparing to take McGinn to Dunfermline and had watched him play several times before signing him.

EalingGreen
06/11/2008, 2:48 PM
It was sad that the best of The Beatles was also the first to die......
That wasn't Neil Lennon. It was George Best ;)

headtheball
06/11/2008, 3:25 PM

Incorrect Sam...

Stephen Kenny went to watch Coleraine play at Dungannon Swifts to watch Stephen Carson play for Coleraine, as i was at the game as i've been to quite a few Dungannon games. Niall McGinn was the best player on the field and his interest snowballed from then.

I know Derry made a few offers before the final one was accepted. Im not sure if Harps even made him a bid for him, but i know Derry were after Niall for a few weeks before they got him. Hardly thieving a player if your club never got an offer accepted by his club. ;)

Sam_Heggy
06/11/2008, 3:49 PM
Meh, either ay, we had both McGinn and Callaghan lined up with bids accepted and players agreeing terms but Mr.Kenny knicked them.

Thats football though I don't hold it against Kenny at all *cough* w****er *cough*

:D

HarpoJoyce
20/11/2008, 1:44 PM
NiallMcGinn cam eon as a second half sub last night.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/worthingtons-conundrum-after-poor-northern-ireland-performance-14069900.html
"...Derry City winger Niall McGinn was then handed his first cap, coming on for Duff as Gillespie went to right-back.
Northern Ireland claims for a penalty, after Roland Guhasz tackled Feeney, were waved away and during a brighter spell for the home side McGinn’s cross bounced off the crossbar."

Player ratings from the BT.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/northern-ireland-v-hungary-how-the-players-rated-14069902.html

"Niall McGinn (for Duff) 6: Tried to get the ball into the box as much as possible, but never got the chance to run at his full-back. "

Well done anyway.

Sam_Heggy
20/11/2008, 2:10 PM
I was switching over and back between the international matches last night and what I saw of McGinn's contribution was Gillespie electing to pass inside instead of use McGinn wide right who was in a better position.
Fair played though, it was great to see a LOI player get an international cap last night.

niallsparky
21/11/2008, 2:56 PM
Fair played though, it was great to see a LOI player get an international cap last night.

He wasn't the only one...

Dodge
21/11/2008, 2:57 PM
He was probably the only one Sam saw though...

Sam_Heggy
21/11/2008, 2:59 PM
He was probably the only one Sam saw though...

exactly

passinginterest
21/11/2008, 3:10 PM
Would it be an idea to have a sticky for League of Ireland players in international squads? Keep track of players making squads from underage right up to senior? It might help highlight for the more casual observer the number of League of Ireland players getting called into under 21 squads and the like. As well as players like Kalonas and McGinn playing senior internationals.

Dodge
21/11/2008, 3:14 PM
Good idea. Shame we haven't been doing it all season

Candystripe
21/11/2008, 9:57 PM
Good idea. Shame we haven't been doing it all season

:D :D

Is that sarcasim I detect? :eek:

HarpoJoyce
22/11/2008, 11:22 AM
Would it be an idea to have a sticky for League of Ireland players in international squads? .

Has anyone had a chance to watch Romauld Boco play for Benin yet?
(If not.....'Bloody part-time supporters'.)

I think it's a credit to Sligo Rovers to let Boco slip away for extended periods with no fuss. Especially after the mid-season transfer from the club. You compare that to the huge attention-seeking behaviour which other European clubs partake in.