PDA

View Full Version : Closure of Official Forum

Countyman
20/10/2003, 10:33 AM
Well they have gone and done it.
The board has closed the forum on the official site.

So its clear County fans are not allowed express their opinions on how our club is run or should I say they ARE allowed once it follows the official club line.

A sad day for football fans in kildare and for those who value their right to freedom of expression.

Well they cant stop us here.

driver
20/10/2003, 12:13 PM
sorry, but who do you follow, a football team or a website provider.. Now I'm not doubting your support, but why should Kildare County be obliged to provide a fourm? Do they not have the right to close it, especially since someone posted some very possibly liablious (spell?) stuff on it, for which the club could be potentially legally responsibe for since it was on their site.
Being a former website owner I have some knowledge into how fourms are run and the potential legal problems if you have unmoderated Fourms. If you feel that they closed down the site purely because they did not like what they heard then by all means start a site your self and leave yourself open to such problems.
If I remember the post in question started with, "I was talking to Pat at the last match, and he will probably kill me for saying it but....", this cannot be condoned no matter what. Any posts of this sort are not for internet fourms, they are for the courts.
I am not happy with the fourm being closed, it was a great feature and service, but I do not blame the club for removing it when it was abused in such a way.
lets get back to the football.

Estar
20/10/2003, 12:34 PM
It's not all doom and gloom, it's to reopen soon. But the flaming that went on was in poor taste IMO.

" It is the intention of KCFC to reopen the Forum as soon as possible. New registration requirements will be put in place in an effort to ensure that true fans have an oppertunity to have their say on Kildare Football".

Countyman
20/10/2003, 12:45 PM
They could have locked certain posts or god forbid even deleted the ones they didn't like but closing it down was wrong.

They cant say one that on the one hand that they value the forum as a vehicle for discussion and then on the other close it down when they are being criticised.

That particular post you mentioned was very direct and close to the bone. Apart from that the majority of other posts did not point the finger directly at any board member. I did criticise them a lot recently but my intention was to highlight the mistakes, even offering solutions, so that they can be fixed and they wont happen again.

I was critical of Hannigan on the forum and questioned the boards ability as were others but at no time did I engage in personal attacks on anybody. On the contrary I was attacked by others.

Legal issues aside they could have handled this a lot better. It has left a sour taste in the mouth and from speaking to at least 6 other fans last saturday night they all felt the same way.

It just further strenghtens my view that they look on us as walking ten euro notes every second saturday and in their eyes we will never be anything more.

Did you know about the game that the supporters club arranged for half time between 2 underage teams from kildare and newbridge? The board never answered the S.C. about whether the kids parents could get in free to the game and therefore the game was called off on friday.

The problem is a small few only know things like this and the rest think everything is hunky dory and meanwhile the board are getting away with incompetence. The forum was one place where information could be traded between supporters.

All I want to is watch football and be treated with respect but why should I give my money to guys like this who treat us with disdain.

joeSoap
20/10/2003, 12:46 PM
sounds like the sound of the earth caving in all round KCFC is becoming a little much for ye boys???:p :p :p

Countyman
20/10/2003, 12:51 PM
I'm sure if anyone in this league can sympathise with fans being treated poorly by boards/committee's then its Limerick fans.

btw..the ship has been steadied. 7 points from last 9 show that and all the lads are on their way back from injury so we should be able to select a full strength team for the trip to Pike and hopefully then the playoffs.

Estar
20/10/2003, 1:04 PM
Countyman,
I've always read your posts with great interest. I know your heart is in the right place. The club have alot to learn and alot of structures to put in place. The season is over in a month;)

Estar
20/10/2003, 1:10 PM
Originally posted by joeSoap
sounds like the sound of the earth caving in all round KCFC is becoming a little much for ye boys???:p :p :p

Far from it their was a great buzz at Station Road on Saturday fans and players a like. For the last few minutes every touch by a Kildare player was cheered, and they left the pitch to a standing ovation.

Sale of the club monthly draw tickets by all account are going really well, even seen Athlone supporters buying some.:p

Countyman
20/10/2003, 1:41 PM
thanks Estar,
I've always admired how you can remain upbeat and positive on this board wheras I just let rip sometimes to my own detriment and some may say to the detriment of the club.

as you say my heart is in the right place but sometimes the words my suggest otherwise.

Anyway bring on "Home Farm Fingal Everton Dublin City" :p

sniffa
20/10/2003, 2:44 PM
Hi lads, you're all a long way from home.
Great match AND result. Its good to see Darcy staying in the first eleven. Whats happening with Eric? A change of formation , U/21 players actually playing and back to winning ways.
Can't wait for Whitehall and to shove Gills prophecy down his neck.
On the closure - by the nature of that particular post, I don't think the board had a choice. I don't know Pat personally but I can't believe he would say such things in such detail to somebody on the sideline. You don't say things like outside of your immediate circle. Sounds to me like it is intentionally done to start legal action. To ignore it the board will look tainted. WATCH THIS SPACE!

Darby O'Gill
20/10/2003, 3:01 PM
Howdy boys, you're all starting to turn up here, just like the curs you are! Can't blame the board on this one- the post in question was, to quote the great Stiff Little Fingers, inflammable material. Anyone with half a mind could see that. Countyman, I KNOW you're a diehard, but 'twas beyond the Pale- I think even in your black heart you know that....

Anyhow, I thought Saturday was great- excellent second half from all concerned, and the two goals were top-drawer. I felt the fans really got behind the team in the end- maybe we have turned the corner. Small crowd though- where was everyone?
Well done too to Athlone for making a game of it- it was a credit to your club to put out such footballing team.

Now boys, keep it clean like, and no more messing........

atfconline
20/10/2003, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by Estar
....For the last few minutes every touch by a Kildare player was cheered, and they left the pitch to a standing ovation.

Sale of the club monthly draw tickets by all account are going really well, even seen Athlone supporters buying some.:p

That's coz ye had some mad nutter in the front of the stand getting them all going! He was crazy, bald head, then abit of hair in the middle parted to each side, I'm sure ye'd know him!

Was impressed with Station Road. Nice little stand, some facilities under it, then the 'corporate boxes' up above. Nice warm press box too!! If not a little cramped.

Pity about the result on the night. We didn't deserve anything from it though. Only had a couple of chances all night. All the best for the rest of the season anyways.

I'll be back in Station Road next season if ye are still about, it's a handy trip there n back!

CountyChief
20/10/2003, 4:34 PM
I am very disappointed that the Club forum has been censored and closed. I had increasingly become enraged at the contempt the club held the supporters in. There was an awful lot of valid questions being asked and I personally have heard too many leaks and defamations of character coming from inside the club, it was sickening and disturbing to think that such things were falsely being made common knowledge.

The posting from 'NeverAgain' about his conversation with Pat McNally, should never have been put up and has in a huge way given the club the justification to gag us all and close the forum. I would love to say, that I just want to watch the football from now on and leave it at that but I have heard too much and know too much to blindly support the club with all my heart. My contacts from the north and south of the county have confided in me with things that are horrible!! I won't go into it with anybody but needless to say it all always comes out in the end. All I want to say is that we have a fantastic bunch of players, a nicer bunch of guys you couldn't meet and as they have shown despite the adversity they face they are giving it everything for the supporters and themselves. We have an inept manager that knows he isn't up to the job long term and should step down. We have a board with enthusiastic footballing men on it but their actions defy their interests - some of them have blackened the name of Kildare County F.C. and everything we all have tried to build!!!!

I won't go into details, I would love to be ignorant and not know what I actually do know but it will all come out in the end!!! It always does. If anybody wants to slate me then go ahead it seems to be par for the course within our soccer circles at the moment!!

Philly
20/10/2003, 6:21 PM
Must say I am very dissapointed with the board's decision but the post regarding Pat McNally was very bad and didn't belong on a fans forum. However, my new home seems nice! Lets all concentrate on the Dublin City match.

Estar
20/10/2003, 7:46 PM
Originally posted by atfconline
That's coz ye had some mad nutter in the front of the stand getting them all going! He was crazy, bald head, then abit of hair in the middle parted to each side, I'm sure ye'd know him!

Was impressed with Station Road. Nice little stand, some facilities under it, then the 'corporate boxes' up above. Nice warm press box too!! If not a little cramped.

Pity about the result on the night. We didn't deserve anything from it though. Only had a couple of chances all night. All the best for the rest of the season anyways.

I'll be back in Station Road next season if ye are still about, it's a handy trip there n back!

Sounds like "Chelsea" to me, the local lollypop man. A ledgend at station road, a great fellow if you chat to him, even thought I usually can't understad what he is saying most of the time. Like a few other lads I know a regular bar fly (no harm in that).

Station road has it all (in a small scale), pity it has been rezoned for housing.

Athlone have a very young team, that should do better next year.
Well done on the stadium, put the rest of the EL to shame.

Athlone people are always welcome, may the links between the clubs grow stronger.

irishstranger
21/10/2003, 11:19 PM
Sorry lads, just testing me E-mail. No opinions from me yet!!!!!:D

Countyman
23/10/2003, 9:50 AM
The Official Forum is back online this morning.

Remember...big brother is watching you :mad:

TheRealRovers
23/10/2003, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by atfconline
Was impressed with Station Road. Nice little stand, some facilities under it, then the 'corporate boxes' up above. Nice warm press box too!!

It wouldn't take much to impress a Athlone fan stadium wise

Philly
25/10/2003, 1:02 PM
Soon enough Athlone will have the best stadium in the league by far so I don't know what you are saying!;)

TheRealRovers
25/10/2003, 6:08 PM
Originally posted by Philly
Soon enough Athlone will have the best stadium in the league by far
Just like Shams:D