PDA

View Full Version : The Athlone Match

Philly
19/10/2003, 10:18 PM
What did you all think of our performance on Saturday. I was pleased with the performance. Thats 7 points out of a possible 9 now, not that bad! The two goals were superb, especially Roger's free-kick at the end. Hopefully we can build on these results when we take on Dublin City on Saturday.

P.S. This is my first post on Foot.ie. I, along with all other County fans, was shut out of the Official Forum when the board banned free speach from Station Road!:mad:

joeSoap
20/10/2003, 12:51 AM
Welcome to Foot, Philly. Free speech allowed here as long as its constructive and not obscenely personal.
Things might get a little upsetting for you in the coming weeks, starting next week when Dublin kick ye're asses, followed by Bray while we pick up 6.
Or maybe ye'll play 11 illegal premiership players, win all ye're remaining games at a cost of €2750 per game. Bound to be worth it to ye.
:D :D :D

driver
20/10/2003, 9:03 AM
Hey Philly,
Yeah thought the team played great, mainly in the second half. Great to see Shay back, hopefully the rest of the injured players will follow, and we will take the division by storm for the run in. Considering we have played most of the season without some of our best players, and we are still in contention, I think that the future looks bright.
Bring on Dublin

Countyman
20/10/2003, 9:39 AM
A decent game of football last saturday night. Great to see an away team coming to station road and playing open football for a change.

The 2 goals were top class especially Rogers at the end. Thought the team were very commited especially Ryaner who ran himself into the ground. Cronin was also outstanding at the heart of the 3 man defence.

It was a win badly needed and hopefully gets everybody back focusing on the football for once.

I'm confident we will get something in Whitehall next saturday. Dare I say it but a win could put us back into title winning contention.

Great to see Shay back on the pitch.

Estar
20/10/2003, 10:33 AM
Kildare Co 2 Athlone Town 0

1. O'Leary - One of his quieter games, when called in to action answered the call.

2. Brennan – Marshalled defence really well.

3. Cronin – Seemed back to his determined self again, even got time to attack.

4. Scully – The marathon man covers every blade of grass, fights for every ball.

5. Kenny – Great reader of the game, fantastic leader.

6. O'Connor – My man of the match, seems to be revelling in his new midfield role. Creative and defensive at the one time. What about his goal saving tackle when it was 0-0 ?

7. D'Arcy – First time to see this big impressive 19 year’s old, a ruff diamond with a bright future. Seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on. Needs to be pointed in the right direction by the older members of the team.

8. Britton – Fitness level rising rapidly, looked dangerous in attack.

9. Hughes – A touch of class who worked his socks off, calmly tucked away his goal. Our Key man in our promotion push.

10. Ryan – Never stopped running, not even to tie his lacers. Would have scored in the first half, only for the linesman. The through ball deflected off an Athlone player.

11. Kelly – Put in a lot of defensive work, on one of Athlone’s better players. Like to see him dribble a bit more.

14.(Zellor 89) – Welcome back Shay.

12. (Rogers 81) – Stood up and answered a lot of critics, best 10 minutes of football I’ve seen him play all season. As for the marvellous, hard to believe, bullet like 40-yard free kick. You’re born with talent like that. Two keepers would not have saved that.

Hannigan – No Dermot Keely, but seems to have changed things around. Definitely won the battle of tactics on this occasion.