PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland's Irish

bwagner
03/11/2008, 4:34 PM
Whats the story here regarding Liam Millar and D. Murphy ..they have not even made the squad in recent games despite Sunderlands poor recent run.

I see young Meyler was on the bench but surley Miller would be more accomplished than he...

irishfan86
03/11/2008, 4:41 PM
Whats the story here regarding Liam Millar and D. Murphy ..they have not even made the squad in recent games despite Sunderlands poor recent run.

I see young Meyler was on the bench but surley Miller would be more accomplished than he...

Miller's story is not one of accomplishment, but rather, unfulfilled potential.

Sunderland have upgraded their personnel, and I think Murphy and Miller will never be more than squad players at this point.

Reid still has the quality to break through and re-establish himself in the starting XI.

No idea on Meyler, but I've heard nothing but good things about him.

bwagner
03/11/2008, 4:56 PM
Meyler aside Keane has fairly bummed all the Irish lads there..

irishfan86
03/11/2008, 5:06 PM
Meyler aside Keane has fairly bummed all the Irish lads there..

At the end of the day, Miller and Murphy are not up to Premiership standard.

McShane was given a fair crack but failed to take his chances. He's doing well at Hull it seems, and I hope that continues, but at Sunderland he has failed so far.

Stokes has shown flashes of his ability, but has lacked consistency.

Reid is the only Irish player who has performed consistently for them since Roy's appointment, and the only player who could possibly feel aggrieved by exclusion from the starting XI.

back of the net
03/11/2008, 6:36 PM
Miller's story is not one of accomplishment, but rather, unfulfilled potential.

to fulfill potential , a player must have it to begin with - miller is an extremely limited player - and a player of his calibre does not belong in the premiership

irishfan86
03/11/2008, 7:10 PM
to fulfill potential , a player must have it to begin with - miller is an extremely limited player - and a player of his calibre does not belong in the premiership

I think if you look back at his Celtic days, he had potential, but he just made a bad career move by going to Man United.

He probably should have stayed and developed in Scotland.

musicinmouth
03/11/2008, 9:52 PM
I think Keane's management style is pretty erratic... as soon as a player has one bad game, he's out of the team... he makes too many changes and it's hurting players' confidences... I'm sure Miller and Murphy will feature again soon... until they have a bad game that is...

drummerboy
03/11/2008, 11:36 PM
I think the word FLAKEY is very apt to describe young Mr Keane. Perhaps he is trying to emulate his old boss and Forest, who acted in a similar manner with outlandish statements and actions. However Oul Big Head as Clough called himself was a successful manager unlike Keane.

Reality Bites
04/11/2008, 7:51 AM
I think the word FLAKEY is very apt to describe young Mr Keane. Perhaps he is trying to emulate his old boss and Forest, who acted in a similar manner with outlandish statements and actions. However Oul Big Head as Clough called himself was a successful manager unlike Keane.

?? - Know of those Irish Players are good enough end of Story, I saw McShane at weekend against Utd he was at fault for two of the goals - Roy Keane is not obliged to use Irish Players if they are not good enough

drummerboy
04/11/2008, 8:30 AM
?? - Know of those Irish Players are good enough end of Story, I saw McShane at weekend against Utd he was at fault for two of the goals - Roy Keane is not obliged to use Irish Players if they are not good enough

Most of the Irish players are not good enough but the point is that Keane bought most of them. It seems the Sunderland board are in awe of him. At most clubs such a turnover of players would be frowned upon. The way he buys players and then disgards them after just a few months smacks of a man who doesn't really know what he is doing. I was listening to Steve Bruce who acquired Zaki (sp?) and who has been a big success at Wigan. Bruce said because of the shortage of money he has to do his homework thoroughly before buying a player. This is obviously something that Keane is not subjected to at Sunderland.

He has disgarded Reid recently who was playing very well. How can any player grow in confidence when they are dropped at a whim. He also dropped Cisse and Diuff last week against Chelsea. Keane is living on his reputation as a player.

shakermaker1982
04/11/2008, 9:41 AM
Have a look at how many players Redknapp, Benitez and any spurs manager bring in each year and tell me how it's any different from what is going on at Sunderland? Keane has brought in BETTER players this year because Sunderland are a more attractive proposition than they were last season - they have consolidated their PL position and can now attract the likes of Cisse, Malbranque and Diouf. Yes I'd like to see more Irish players in the top flight of other leagues but football is a business and a harsh one at that. Your utilised until somebody better comes along and then discarded. The Irish lads will have to move on and try to prove Keane wrong. Stokes will get game time at Sheff Utd and it's something Miller and co must consider.

paul_oshea
04/11/2008, 10:45 AM
he hasn't really though their results are very inconsistent and having seem them first hand the players he brought in are very limited, journeymen. They created nothing against a very poor fulham side, and their off the ball running was terrible.

bennocelt
05/11/2008, 11:25 AM
I think if you look back at his Celtic days, he had potential, but he just made a bad career move by going to Man United.

He probably should have stayed and developed in Scotland.

I know thats what a lot of people say - but it does make you wonder about the quality of the SPL, and how bad Miller really is - if a move to a team like man utd is considered a bad move!:eek:

shakermaker1982
05/11/2008, 11:31 AM
he hasn't really though their results are very inconsistent and having seem them first hand the players he brought in are very limited, journeymen. They created nothing against a very poor fulham side, and their off the ball running was terrible.

Cisse, Malbranque and Diouf are not limited journeymen!!!

SunderlandBohs
05/11/2008, 12:24 PM
Miller and Murphy aren't good enough to get into the Sunderland first team. Miller hasn't done anything to warrant a place since joining the club. Played well in some games terrible in most. Murphy has done well but lacks that bit to make it to the next level. Would be a great signing for a promotion chasing club in the Championship. As for Reid, I don't have a clue why he was dropped. It hasn't been like he was playing bad or anything. But the from of Richardson and Malbraque might have something to do with it.

Keane's managing style is a far more worrying topic from where I'm sitting! It seems to be doing more harm than good at this stage.

irishfan86
05/11/2008, 10:58 PM
I know thats what a lot of people say - but it does make you wonder about the quality of the SPL, and how bad Miller really is - if a move to a team like man utd is considered a bad move!:eek:

It wasn't a bad move financially, but you've got to say it was bad from a career perspective.

At Celtic he was in and out of the team- how could he have felt that he'd be able to be a regular for Man United, or even retain a squad role as he did for Celtic?

I really don't think players should move on until they're established at the level they're at- obviously if you're not getting game time you can drop a level or move laterally, but I think Miller was given poor advice by the people around him.

Look at McCarthy at Hamilton, he's got great support there making sure he gets the right move at the right time.

tetsujin1979
05/11/2008, 11:49 PM
At Celtic he was in and out of the team- how could he have felt that he'd be able to be a regular for Man United, or even retain a squad role as he did for Celtic?

He was frequently injured at Celtic .When he got a run in the side, he showed what he was capable of with some fantastic performances, especially in Europe.

dr_peepee
06/11/2008, 8:23 AM
I don't see many Celtic games... Would I be right in assuming that in those games he did excel in that it wasn't your standard midfield 4???

Stuttgart88
06/11/2008, 10:24 AM
You're right as usual Doc. During his European purple patch at Celtic he was actually played once in a conventional central midfield role alongside Petrov in Villareal. It was like he was playing piggy-in-the-middle. Villareal just passed it around him and he was chasing shadows the whole game. His European games for Celtic were a metaphor for his career in a way. Play him correctly and he definitely has (or had) something to offer. Play him in a regular central midfield and he might as well not be there.

Noelys Guitar
30/06/2011, 6:59 PM
Weatwood, O'Shea, Mayler, probably Gibson and possibly Long. With their other signings they should do well next season. Wonder what position O'Shea is going to play?

CraftyToePoke
30/06/2011, 9:14 PM
Wonder what position O'Shea is going to play? Gibsons probably.

Murfinator
01/07/2011, 12:49 AM
We don't know if the Gibson deal will go through. The Long rumours are that Sunderland have ceased their interest in him and theres no indication a deal was accepted for O'Shea whatsoever. A bit preemptive that post. I reckon myself; Gibson will wind up there, JOS will remain at Man Utd, Long will go somewhere else.

Irwin3
01/07/2011, 1:06 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/30/ji-dong-won-sunderland-signing?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+ %28Football%29

Would be strange if O'Shea was the first (maybe the only?) one to sign.