PDA

View Full Version : Hunger

Block G Raptor
03/11/2008, 1:47 PM
Just been to see Hunger this morning. All I can say is WOW!
being directed by Steve McQueen it was always going to be quite Arty and Visual but the lack of dialogue for large parts of the movie does nothing to detract from what is a truly visually stunning, and uncomfortable experience. The one scene that contains the only substantial dialogue is when Bobby outlines his reasons for the Hungerstrike to the priest (Played brilliantly by Liam Cunningham) is quite simply the best 2 handed scene I have ever witnessed in cinema. See this movie NOW

paul_oshea
03/11/2008, 1:58 PM
is it anyway pro you know what?!

I think liam cunningham is a great actor, unlucky to only be getting bit parts etc.

ITs mad how someone like himself would struggle as well(financially I mean as well as everything else)

Block G Raptor
03/11/2008, 2:03 PM

I think liam cunningham is a great actor, unlucky to only be getting bit parts etc.

ITs mad how someone like himself would struggle as well(financially I mean as well as everything else)

If by any way Pro you mean pro IRA then the answer would be no. it really doesn't go into the politics/violence behind the Hungerstrike and just focuses on Sands as he slowly starves before your eyes

anto1208
04/11/2008, 8:41 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about this movie, that scene you are on about is a 22 minute unbroken shot all taken in 1 take it set a new world record breaking the old one by about 12 mins i think.

max power
04/11/2008, 9:36 AM
I have Thursday evening set aside for it and from what i have been hearing it will be rather enjoyable ( if you can enjoy a hunger strike ).

"That Scene" is what everyone is talking about and i can't believe he is a 1st time director.

thesilverfox
06/11/2008, 9:36 AM
Is the film on general release because ive checked the listing for the cinema in sligo town and it doesnt seem to be showng the fiml. very disapointed at that

bennocelt
06/11/2008, 12:40 PM

whats that about Paul?
i love Cunningham , he is a great actor, puts his heart and soul into his craft - by the way where is he from - Cork?

saw the movie today - downloaded it easy enough - plenty of people are sharing it, and raving about it

Excellent movie, visually stunning, the acting is top drawer, and "that scene" is good - some doing to do it on one take!

GenerationXI
10/11/2008, 12:33 PM
Good movie. Nice to see a new take on the whole thing. That one long scene is awesome and not even from an Artistic viewpoint - you don't even notice how long it is because the dialogue is amazing.

One criticism: Bobby Sands was just one of ten who died on Hunger Strike in the Maze in 1981. I had heard his story a thousand times and I thought the movie represented the opportunity to tell the stories of the other men (Kevin Lynch, Frank Hughes, Kieron Doherty, Raymond McCreesh, Tom McElwee, Patsy O'Hare, Michael Devine, Martin Hurson, Joe McDonnell) too. I have never read individual accounts of the lives/deaths of these men and I thought that an opportunity to give a more well rounded account of the Strike was missed.

paul_oshea
10/11/2008, 2:15 PM
whats that about Paul?
i love Cunningham , he is a great actor, puts his heart and soul into his craft - by the way where is he from - Cork?

saw the movie today - downloaded it easy enough - plenty of people are sharing it, and raving about it

Excellent movie, visually stunning, the acting is top drawer, and "that scene" is good - some doing to do it on one take!

sorry meant to land other big roles as well, i realised that sounded like he had other problems :embarrassed: