PDA

View Full Version : Squad for Poland game

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

tommy_c12000
31/10/2008, 10:23 PM
Who would ye like to see getting a chance against Poland. Obviously midfield will be the one area that experimentation will have to happen. Trap certainly won't be going too wild though. I'll get the ball rolling:

James McCarthy: Trap said he would cap him if it meant staving off the overtures of Scotland. But with McCarthy having so strongly reiterated his desire to play with the Republic I don't think he will be called in now. Personally I would love to see him called in. He hasn't looked out of place this season against Rangers and Celtic and will be just 18 when this fixture comes around. Excellent opportunity to introduce the youngster to the senior international set up if nothing else.

Chris McCann: Having a superb season under the tutelage of Owen Coyle at Burnley. Appears to have all the attributes of a top class midfielder.....which Ireland yearn. Capable of scoring goals as well as running midfield. A famous bust up with Givens could cost him though, considering the apparent poisonous influence Givens has on his superior. Don't expect him to get a chance against Poland.

Keith Andrews: Impressed in the first couple of games with Blackburn but has warmed the bench for the most part since. Failed to shine against Villa mid week and could be out of his depth in the Premier league. Trap will give him a chance against the Poles as he has been impressed with him thus far. But don't think he is a viable long term option.

Rory Delap: Having a reasonable season with Stoke. I wouldnt describe it in the superlative terms some people are describing it as. Was a talented player but was ultimately a victim of his versatility. At 32 should he be given a chance or would it be a step backwards?

Lee Carsley: Everton's loss is Birmingham's gain. Rolling back the years this season. Could definitely do a job in the upcoming qualifiers. Probably will take a bit of coaxing back considering the cockup Trap made in the build up to Cyprus game. But would certainly revel in the holding role that Trap covets.

Owen Garvan: Huge fan of his. Gifted player. Has racked up 100 appearances with Ipswich and has scored 5 goals already this season. All this well before his 21st birthday. Perhaps lacks pace and has a tendency to fade in and out of games but has a great eye for a pass. Would need a holding midfielder to sit in with him on the international scene. Won't get a chance in this one and will need to get the Premiership move in January he so desperately craves in order to push himself into the reckoning.

Andy Reid:?????? Im not going to even open that can of worms

Darron Gibson: Would certainly like to see him get another chance in this one. Classy player unfairly lambasted by Dunphy

Liam Miller: Doesn't deserve another chance

Keith Treacy: Has looked impressive thus far with Blackburn but we are well set on the wings at the moment with Duff, McGeady, and Hunt. Too early for him but has a big future

Other key areas to be looked at:

Full back: Kevin Foley, Stephen Ward, Damien Delaney??

Centre back: Alex Bruce (no way), Darren O'Dea (needs to break into 1st team before given a chance), ANother. Big problem area for Ireland this one if anything happens Dunne or O'Shea

Wings: Look strong with Duff coming back into form

Strikers: Again look strong with Keane and Doyle. Does Noel Hunt deserve a chance? Folan could give us a bit of physicality. Stokes has got off to a reasonable start at Bramall Lane

irishultra
31/10/2008, 10:43 PM
1.Garvan.
2.Fahey
3.McCann

tommy_c12000
31/10/2008, 10:51 PM
1.Garvan.
2.Fahey
3.McCann

Fahey has to prove himself abroad first. Who do u think he'll go to??

gustavo
31/10/2008, 10:56 PM
Fahey has to prove himself abroad first. Who do u think he'll go to??
I love the way that the proof he's good enough for the squad can be gotten by playing anywhere "abroad" with no further criteria given :rolleyes:

I'd like to see McCarthy and Garvan anyway in the squad

Razors left peg
31/10/2008, 10:58 PM
1.Garvan.
2.Fahey
3.McCann

Fahey will face the same problem getting into a Trapattoni midfield as Andy Reid, Garvan possibly the same. McCann looks like a very mobile player and could fit the mould he is looking for, only problem is Don Givens has too much of Traps ear and that will prob go against the lad

tommy_c12000
31/10/2008, 11:05 PM
I love the way that the proof he's good enough for the squad can be gotten by playing anywhere "abroad" with no further criteria given :rolleyes:

I'd like to see McCarthy and Garvan anyway in the squad

By "abroad" I mean a league of a lot higher standard than the Eircom League, i.e. the Premiership. I hardly have to spell every thing out do I? Lets face it, the chances of an Eircom League player starting a competitive international game are quite slim in the current climate

Manc Irish Wolf
31/10/2008, 11:15 PM
Perfect opportunity to integrate some of the peripheral squad players, i'd personally love to see:

1) Kevin Foley - Appreciate I sound like i'm stalking the lad, however can't stress how much he has come on this season. Without shadow of a doubt our player of the season so far and as a natural right back (unlike McShane) and in form (unlike Kelly) he has and a perfect opportunity to see what he can do against decent opposition and stake his claim.

2) Owen Garvan/John-Joe O'Toole - Impressed in the U21's and are progressing well this season, both are big, strong, can pass and score goals. They played great together against England U21's and have the makings of a quality partnership. As a potential problem area would love to see them get 45 minutes.

3) Rory Delap - Can't help think that his throw-ins could get us a goal or two which might be crucial. Solid all-rounder who is surely up there with Gibson & Whelan. With Doyle's intelligent runs ghosting onto his throw-ins we would have a constant threat for the opposition to worry about.

4) Andy Reid - Hopefully he will get a game and make an impression, however he looks a forlorn figure for club and country. Needs a bit of luck and to dig deep and fight back. His career could do with a Brazil-like game to create a turning-point.

Dodge
31/10/2008, 11:23 PM
By "abroad" I mean a league of a lot higher standard than the Eircom League, i.e. the Premiership. I hardly have to spell every thing out do I? Lets face it, the chances of an Eircom League player starting a competitive international game are quite slim in the current climate

While in no way do I think fahey is ready for international football. You can't say "i.e the premiership" when most of those you mentioned yourself don't play there, and practically none of them have proved themselves there.

tommy_c12000
31/10/2008, 11:40 PM
While in no way do I think fahey is ready for international football. You can't say "i.e the premiership" when most of those you mentioned yourself don't play there, and practically none of them have proved themselves there.

The premiership was one example I was throwing out there. I could have thrown in numerous leagues that are of a significantly higher standard than the EL. Probably eg instead of i.e. was more appropriate. You can throw me a shovel if u want. Bottom line though is that the English Championship is still a lot higher standard than the EL, and is often seen as the natural stepping stone for young aspiring footballers before they go on and play football at a higher level. Furthermore, international friendlies are great opportunities to further their ambitions. So I feel the young midfielders I mentioned should be ahead of Fahey in the pecking order

Dodge
31/10/2008, 11:45 PM
It was the i.e. I had a problem with. And as I've said numerous times, Fahey's not ready for international football. He is, however, a far better player than most you mention

tommy_c12000
31/10/2008, 11:50 PM
It was the i.e. I had a problem with. And as I've said numerous times, Fahey's not ready for international football. He is, however, a far better player than most you mention

He's definitely head and shoulders above every one else in the league and hopefully he'll go on and show his class at a higher level (I'll leave it vague this time)

third policeman
01/11/2008, 9:12 AM
Would certainly include Garvan, McCann and O'Toole as centre midfield is a big problem area. Would also like to see St Ledger given a go at centre back. Also think that Noel Hunt and Walters should be given a chance. They have been impressive performers at club level over the last couple of years and have probably shown more consistency than Keogh, Stokes, Murphy, Folan and Long.

seanfhear
01/11/2008, 9:44 AM
I would like to see St ledger,Joey o`brien,Foley given a chance in defence maybe O`brien in midfield.
Garvan,McCann and O`Toole in midfield.
Hunt or Folan in the forwards.

stiffler
01/11/2008, 10:12 AM
How is Liam Lawrence coming on with his injury recouperation?

if he is back fit and playing football before this game, i wouldnt mind seeing him get some game time.

Also what about Clinton Morrison??

Supreme feet
01/11/2008, 2:40 PM
Squad I'd like to see, (25-man);

Goalkeepers: Given, Kiely, Doyle

Defenders: Finnan, Foley, Kilbane, Delaney; Dunne, O'Shea, McShane, St. Ledger

Midfielders: Carsley, Whelan, Garvan, Andrews, Duff, McGeady, Hunt (S), A. Reid, Delap

Forwards: Keane, Doyle, Keogh, Hunt (N), Murphy

Think that Garvan is showing more promise than Gibson, so I'd have him in. The game might be too soon for O'Halloran, but if he was fully fit I'd throw him in ahead of Delaney as backup left-back. Third goalie spot is very much up for grabs. Delap gets in ahead of Lawrence for the novelty.

edit: I actually forgot about Joey O'Brien. Oh well.

theworm2345
01/11/2008, 4:12 PM
Delap, Garvan, and Andrews really should all get a chance to show what they can do

FarBeag
01/11/2008, 6:01 PM
Chris McCann and JJ 'O Toole should also be in the squad and this is a game where Gibson could shine.

shakermaker1982
01/11/2008, 6:59 PM
I hope he goes with an experimental side. A good chance for some of the understudies to be given a chance to shine whilst giving more game time to the Dunne/O'Shea partnership.

Given/Kiely

J O'Brien Dunne O'Shea Delaney

McGeady Andrews McCarthy S Hunt

Doyle N Hunt

Give Delap a run out at right back/right midfield after 45 minutes as well as giving Garvan some game time. Folan

musicinmouth
01/11/2008, 10:13 PM
I hope calls up:

Lee Carsley
James McCarthy
Rory Delap
John Joe O'Toole
Paddy McCarthy
Kevin Foley

And a serious effort should be made to try to get Barry Maguire...

cavan_fan
02/11/2008, 12:45 PM
-----------------------------Given-------------------
Finnan/Kelly/McShane---Dunne----O Shea----Kilbane
Delap--------Carsley/Andrews----Andy Reid------Duff
------------Keane-----Doyle/Nunt

Id this the official abbreviation, Nunt and Sunt???

Just hope the brother Cathal doesnt get a game

richieos
02/11/2008, 3:22 PM
i think the squad should be:

(gk) Westwood, Kiely, Kenny (Given deserves a break)

(df) Foley, O'Shea, Dunne, Paddy McCarthy, St.Ledger, Delaney, J O'Brien, Kilbane

(mf) A.Reid, Delap, Andrews, O'Toole, Garvan, Whelan, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Walters

(fw) Doyle, Keane, N.Hunt, Elliott, Sheridan

The team should be:

Westwood

Foley O'Shea Dunne Delaney

Andrews Garvan

McGeady Duff
Keane
Doyle

A.Reid, Sheridan, the Hunt brothers, McCarthy and St.Ledger should get the whole second half

Junior
02/11/2008, 3:46 PM
I dont think Sheridan should be anywhere near a first team squad at the moment. He needs much more experience at club level before we start throwing him in to the international team (even if it is a friendly).

Razors left peg
02/11/2008, 3:50 PM
I dont think Sheridan should be anywhere near a first team squad at the moment. He needs much more experience at club level before we start throwing him in to the international team (even if it is a friendly).

agreed, there are other lads ahead of him at the moment

Colbert Report
02/11/2008, 3:52 PM
I think we should keep the starting team intact, save for central midfield. Not sure who I'd like in the whole squad but in the starting team I'd have:

Given
Finnan-O'Shea-Dunne-Kilbane
McGeady-Whelan-McCarthy-Duff
Keane-Doyle

Let them sub it up in the second half as much as they'd like.

richieos
02/11/2008, 6:33 PM
i think sheridan is worth a try because as you said its a friendly and we need somebody tall up front who can head a ball (daryl murphy is better with the ball at his feet)

Dr. Ogba
03/11/2008, 9:06 AM
what are the chances of trap really calling these lads (Garvan McCann O'Toole et al) out of the blue?

he seems to be displaying the same myopia as Stan in some of his decisions. Not criticising the results he's had or anything (not having seen any of the qualifiers so far) but surely its coming to the point where he's got to call up these form players at some stage ahead of the tried and tested that shouldn't be anywhere near the squad based on current form / or lack of? (i.e Murphy, Long , Keogh, Gibson, Whelan)...

have a funny feeling though that we won't see many of the young lads in this squad either...

third policeman
03/11/2008, 10:49 AM
i think the squad should be:

(gk) Westwood, Kiely, Kenny (Given deserves a break)

(df) Foley, O'Shea, Dunne, Paddy McCarthy, St.Ledger, Delaney, J O'Brien, Kilbane

(mf) A.Reid, Delap, Andrews, O'Toole, Garvan, Whelan, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Walters

(fw) Doyle, Keane, N.Hunt, Elliott, Sheridan

Would find room in there for McCann and might even try and entice Naughton into the fold, but other than that this would be a very progressive squad.

bwagner
03/11/2008, 10:55 AM
whats the latest on Finnan ???

Diarmo
03/11/2008, 4:19 PM
i think sheridan is worth a try because as you said its a friendly and we need somebody tall up front who can head a ball (daryl murphy is better with the ball at his feet)

We have Folan, possibly Lee ahead of Sheridan for this role at the moment.

Squad I'd like to see:

GK: Given, Kiely, Kenny

D: Foley, J. O'Brien, Dunne, O'Shea, McShane, St. Ledger, Delaney, Kilbane,

M: Duff, McGeady, S. Hunt, Whelan, Carsley, Rowlands, Andrews, A. Reid, Lawrence,

F: Keane, Doyle, Folan, N. Hunt

Possible Starting XI:

Given
Foley Dunne O'Shea Delaney
McGeady Carsley Andrews Duff
Folan Keane

Rowlands, Lawrence, Reid should all get time on the pitch.

St. Ledger should get a half to establish himself as backup for CB.

Edit: If forgot Paul McShane...

bwagner
04/11/2008, 3:59 PM
Id like Murphy at Bohs to get a chance . Only 12 goals conceeded in the 31 games so far in the league. Rest Given and give the lad a half

boovidge
04/11/2008, 4:08 PM
Apperently Westwood was amazing last night for coventry with morrison scoring the goal.

bwagner
04/11/2008, 4:25 PM
Im not a bad keeper but im a Prod :p

SkStu
04/11/2008, 4:30 PM
Im not a bad keeper but im a Prod :p

dont you mean a bad proddy boy?? :D

third policeman
04/11/2008, 4:45 PM
Does Morrison's form warrent a recall to the squad? Do we really think that Murphy, Folan, Stokes et al have done more at club and international level to deserve selection ahead of Clinton? He has never been wanting for effort scored valuable goals and if Doyle ges injured has always worked well with Robbie. I've convinced myself. Bring back Clinton!

Fergie's Son
04/11/2008, 4:48 PM
Apparently McCarthy was called up which is a good thing.

richieos
05/11/2008, 8:35 PM
Apparently McCarthy was called up which is a good thing.

has the squad been announced? i havent heard about it

Paddy Garcia
05/11/2008, 8:49 PM
has the squad been announced? i havent heard about it

No - but the intent to call up McCarthy is widely reported.

FarBeag
05/11/2008, 9:02 PM
It’s about time too and I hope St Ledger is also called up. The more players we have for centre back the less chance we will ever see McShane play there again.

tommy_c12000
06/11/2008, 9:05 AM
No - but the intent to call up McCarthy is widely reported.

R ye talking about Paddy or James McCarthy?

citizenerased
06/11/2008, 10:16 AM
24 man squad

Given, Kiely, Doyle

Finnan, J' O'Brien, Dunne, O'Shea, Delaney, McShane, Kilbane

S Hunt, McGeady, McCarthy, Whelan, Delap, Duff, A Reid, Gibson, Lawrence

Keane, Doyle, N.Hunt, Murphy, Folan

And id start

................Kiely

McShane....Dunne.....O'Shea......Kilbane

McGeady....Whelan...Gibson...Duff

Hunt....Doyle

give delap 45 ins,,and give mccarthy 45 mins

Closed Account
06/11/2008, 10:55 AM
Irish Eyes are Smiling (http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373%7E1445303,00.html)

R's duo Martin Rowlands (http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10373%7E8925,00.html) and Damien Delaney (http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10373%7E8015,00.html) have been named in the Republic of Ireland's preliminary squad for a forthcoming international fixture against Poland at Croke Park Stadium.
Scheduled for Wednesday 19th November, the call-up means both will train with the squad in a bid to convince Manager Giovanni Trapattoni to hand them their fourth and third caps respectively for the friendly in Dublin.

Midfielder Rowlands made his international debut back in 2004, but Delaney is relatively new to the international fold, making his bow in May of this year.
Trapattoni's final squad will be announced on November 10th.Seems a preliminary squad has been named, I would expect an official statement later today.

SkStu
06/11/2008, 2:39 PM
is that a picture of Caleb Folan playing golf?

Lionel Ritchie
06/11/2008, 3:58 PM
Echoing thirdpoliceman ...what does Morrisson have to do to get a recall?

Banging them in for Coventry.

eirebhoy
06/11/2008, 4:46 PM
"Scheduled for Wednesday 19th November, the call-up means both will train with the squad in a bid to convince Manager Giovanni Trapattoni to hand them their fourth and third caps respectively for the friendly in Dublin."

I don't think that's true. As far as I know Trap always names a big preliminary squad and doesn't announce it publicly.

richieos
06/11/2008, 6:11 PM
Echoing thirdpoliceman ...what does Morrisson have to do to get a recall?

Banging them in for Coventry.

clinton morrison has 3 goals in 15 games for coventry, at championship level. thats not the sort of thing that warrants a recall in my opinion, he shouldve been in for the B game last month though

tetsujin1979
06/11/2008, 7:26 PM
clinton morrison has 3 goals in 15 games for coventry, at championship level. thats not the sort of thing that warrants a recall in my opinion, he shouldve been in for the B game last month though
Scannell hasn't scored all season
Shane Long only has one goal to his name this season
Andy Keogh has two
All can expect to be the preliminary squad
At the very least, he's in form, and deserves a look

tetsujin1979
06/11/2008, 7:27 PM
full squad to be announced on monday, according to Sky Sports

antrimgreen
07/11/2008, 8:05 AM
24 man squad

Given, Kiely, Doyle

Finnan, J' O'Brien, Dunne, O'Shea, Delaney, McShane, Kilbane

S Hunt, McGeady, McCarthy, Whelan, Delap, Duff, A Reid, Gibson, Lawrence

Keane, Doyle, N.Hunt, Murphy, Folan

And id start

................Kiely

McShane....Dunne.....O'Shea......Kilbane

McGeady....Whelan...Gibson...Duff

Hunt....Doyle

give delap 45 ins,,and give mccarthy 45 mins

Are you insane, the centre midfield is sh*te, if thats the engine room i am ripping up my tickets now, honestly not just saying this i have seen better partnership at an amateur level ffs. Nooooooooooooo please TRAP don't please.

Stuttgart88
10/11/2008, 9:12 AM
If Shane Long gets in ahead of Noel Hunt for this game then something strange is going on. I often have doubts that the Irish management are aware of who on the periphery of the squad is playing well, but if a guy who is scoring & looking really sharp forhis club is left out for a guy who is only on the bench in the same position then it's just daft.

Doyle is really on top of his game at the moment. I know Wenger has his principles but Doyle does a better job than Bendtner at what he does. He could be a smart buy for Wenger. I don't think he'd touch Adebayor or Van Persie but he could complement either. Just a biased thought after watching the Arsenal game on Saturday.

passinginterest
10/11/2008, 10:58 AM
From FAI Website:
Republic of Ireland Squad v Poland:
Goalkeepers
Shay Given Newcastle United 20/04/1976
Dean Kiely West Brom 10/10/1970
Joe Murphy Scunthorpe United 21/08/1981

Defenders
Paul McShane (Hull City)
John O'Shea (Manchester United)
Richard Dunne (Manchester City)
Kevin Kilbane (Wigan Athletic)
Alex Bruce (Ipswich Town)
Damien Delaney (QPR)
Kevin Foley (Wolves)

Midfielders
Aiden McGeady (Glasgow Celtic)
Keith Andrews (Blackburn Rovers)
Darron Gibson (Manchester United)
Glenn Whelan (Stoke City)
Damien Duff (Newcastle United)
Stephen Hunt (Reading)
Liam Miller (Sunderland)
Andy Keogh (Wolves)

Forwards
Robbie Keane (Liverpool)
Kevin Doyle (Reading)
Anthony Stokes (Sheffield United)
Caleb Folan (Hull City)
Shane Long (Reading)

No Noel Hunt or James McCarthy or Eoin Garvan.