PDA

View Full Version : Favourite/least favourite Irish accents

Pages : [1] 2

brianw82
31/10/2008, 7:20 PM
Favourite: slight Northern accent, especially on females. :)

Least favourite: inner city Dublin/Sligo accents

Discuss. :)

Rovers1
31/10/2008, 7:35 PM
im afraid im totally opposite to you Brian..i think the townie Sligo accent is "pure class" ;)

hate the northern accent, especially the Belfast one.

oldyouth
31/10/2008, 9:24 PM
WorstHas to be the county that ends every sentence with either 'Boy' or 'Like'. I'm saying no more:rolleyes:

sligoman
31/10/2008, 11:11 PM
Favourite: Cork and other southern areas.
Least favourite: Dublin, Donegal, Northern accents.

Red&White Rover
31/10/2008, 11:19 PM
Like: Anything from up north, Corkies can be funny enough, Big thick Dublin accents are ok at times...

Dislike: Sligo, Athlone, Dundaaaalk, and Wexford(Where in the name of blue f*ck did they end up with that accent)

Mr Maroon
31/10/2008, 11:41 PM
Like: Northern accent, especially on females.

Dislike: That south east accent and inner city Dublin

brianw82
01/11/2008, 12:49 AM
In spite of Mr Maroon's agreement with me on norther-accented women, I also must add that the Galway accent is the most drab and boring in the country.
Used to work with a Galway lad doing tech support, and I think he fixed people's problems over the phone by putting them to sleep!

oscar
01/11/2008, 1:20 AM
Favourite..... anything except a dub accent
Least favouite......dub accent

hula4
01/11/2008, 1:31 AM
love the nordie accent on women, find the inner city dublin accent very amusing, love the cork city accent and the "quare" thick wexford accent

cant stand the midlands accent, and the d4 accent

oscar
01/11/2008, 1:49 AM
what about the limerick accent hula:D:D:D

stann
01/11/2008, 10:07 AM
The Nordie accent on a girl is the best accent anywhere in the world, even better than the Welsh one. :)

My least favourite, as in the most annoying, is the relatively newly fabricated, mainly-though-by-no-means-exclusively Dublin it-girl one, that seems to have started with the likes of Lorraine Keane. The 'ryndabyte aitside the hyse' one. Awful.

hula4
01/11/2008, 10:07 AM
can take it or leave it

Magicme
01/11/2008, 10:56 AM
I love Derry accents (male or female) and Donegal. Like a bit of Dub too but anything further south does my head in.

Terry
01/11/2008, 11:01 AM
love the female donegal accent, hate the cork female accent, especially that one thats occasionally on the ray darcy show !!!!!

superfrank
01/11/2008, 12:02 PM
Favourite: The soft Northern female accent is very sexy. I like the Meath one and I find the Galway and Kerry accents very funny.

Least favourite: All Dub ones, Wicklow, Cork (on men, on women it's just funny).

dahamsta
01/11/2008, 12:51 PM
The Nordie accent on a girl is the best accent anywhere in the world, even better than the Welsh one. :)But not better than Scottish one. There's nothing sexier than a chick with a scottish accent...

Jock MIB
01/11/2008, 12:54 PM
But not better than Scottish one. There's nothing sexier than a chick with a scottish accent...

Then you see her bright Ginger hair and hairy legs :D

holidaysong
01/11/2008, 2:12 PM
I wouldn't say I hate southern accents but I do find it quite hard to understand some people from Cork/Kerry/Limerick..

stann
01/11/2008, 2:51 PM
But not better than Scottish one. There's nothing sexier than a chick with a scottish accent...

Scottish accent is outstanding, almost as good as it gets, it's true. In fact, there's just two things sexier, the Welsh one and the soft Nordie one. :p :D

jebus
01/11/2008, 3:02 PM
Like: Cork, Kerry, Limerick accents, well Munster in general

Dislike: Ulster accents (all of them) and both D4 and proper inner city Dublin accents (the kind that asks you for change at the LUAS stops)

Find the Galway accent a bit nondescript to be honest, struggling to even think what it is

Mr Maroon
01/11/2008, 4:42 PM
Find the Galway accent a bit nondescript to be honest, struggling to even think what it is
I was just thinking that. I don't know how other people can dislike the Galway accent. There isn't really one Galway accent.

dahamsta
01/11/2008, 4:44 PM
Then you see her bright Ginger hair and hairy legs :DThat's not the hair I would have been interested in though.

Dodge
01/11/2008, 4:49 PM
Like; Dublin

Dislike; The rest

centre mid
01/11/2008, 5:29 PM
Dislike: Wixklow/Wexford is pretty bad, but Dundalk accent is the worst.
Like: Kerry accent on girls.

OwlsFan
02/11/2008, 8:24 AM
Disliked (by a mile): The D4 accent (hise instead of house, roundabite instead of roundabout - Lorraine Keane is a prime example as are most tv3 female newsreaders or presenters).

Favourite: Waterford

Pauro 76
02/11/2008, 8:40 AM
I was in a mobile phone shop the other day, beautiful Indian looking girl was at the counter. Asked her about what deals they had, and out came this beautiful Scottish accent. She had Indian parents and was born in Scotland. Ahhhh she was lovely.

Back to Irish accents...
Favourite... Donegal, soft Nordie
Last favourite.... Cork and Dublin

Terry
02/11/2008, 11:38 AM
Was doing some maintainence work in a hotel yesterday when two young lads came up talking to me, couldnt understand a word they were saying and couldnt help but just started laughing. I asked where they were from ?....................Dundalk ! Worst accent EVER !

paul_oshea
02/11/2008, 3:48 PM
love the geordie accent on a woman! Also have to admit the donegal one considering past 3 have come from there! :D

hate the english accent from the home counties the really posh one though love to bone a bird with it, so its that love hate relationship!

Hate the dub inner city knacker accent, also hate the southside one more, the fabricated mid-atlantic/irish sea/home counties accent the snobs have.

Lionel Ritchie
03/11/2008, 10:33 AM
love the geordie accent on a woman! . ...hazarding a guess that that's because you generally hear it spoken by, say, Donna Aire or one of those Girls Aloud wans.

l hate the english accent from the home counties the really posh one though love to bone a bird with it, so its that love hate relationship!. No ...that's a post-colonial complex. :D.

jinxy lilywhite
03/11/2008, 11:24 AM
Like: Donegal accent on female and obviously the a good clear dundalk accent. Can't beat it
Dislike: Drawda, cork and the the midlands especially athlone (too flat)

Ash
03/11/2008, 11:49 AM
I love Derry accents (male or female) and Donegal. Like a bit of Dub too but anything further south does my head in.

Wont be talking to you again so!!!!!!

Magicme
03/11/2008, 12:24 PM
Wont be talking to you again so!!!!!!

Oh dear. Have upset a few people with this one maybe but its just the accent. I do love you and the other lads from Athlone though and when you are talking I just sing loudly in my head to drown out the accent!! :D

paul_oshea
03/11/2008, 12:54 PM
...hazarding a guess that that's because you generally hear it spoken by, say, Donna Aire or one of those Girls Aloud wans.

No ...that's a post-colonial complex. :D.

HAHA, could well be, but its just they are all up their own backsides that you would probably have to boil it before you put it in it.....:D

sadloserkid
03/11/2008, 3:27 PM
Like: Nordie accent but solely when a female one.

Dislike: Skanger accents are across the board terrible regardless of whether they're from Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway or Waterford. That midlands thing is a bit primitive too...

Magicme
03/11/2008, 3:43 PM
The Nordie accent on a girl is the best accent anywhere in the world, even better than the Welsh one. :)

Favourite: The soft Northern female accent is very sexy.

Favourite... Donegal, soft Nordie

Like; northern accents

Like: Nordie accent but solely when a female one.

Considering setting up a phone chat line for you guys, might make enough money to buy my house in France!

That said, any of my northern friends reckon my accent is pure south!

stann
03/11/2008, 8:53 PM
Oh dear. Have upset a few people with this one maybe but its just the accent.

You certainly have!
I would have said something earlier myself but I got my head bitten off twice today already! :p

Magicme
04/11/2008, 12:23 PM
Its the toothache making me tetchy. Havent slept properly in days either.

eelmonster
04/11/2008, 1:21 PM
The perpetual whine of the Ulster accent grates like finger nails scraping a blackboard, and it's difficult to know what they're sing-songing about in Munster and Connaught half of the time. Give me a generic, easily-understood, east coast Leinster accent any day.

sadloserkid
04/11/2008, 7:21 PM
Considering setting up a phone chat line for you guys, might make enough money to buy my house in France!

That said, any of my northern friends reckon my accent is pure south!

Before you contact the builders I should be more specific and say that I'm mostly a sucker for the North west. Once we get further east than Derry and further south than south Donegal we're firmly back in hit or miss territory.

Ash
04/11/2008, 8:26 PM
Dundawk accents make Baby Jesus cry.
That is all.

Magicme
05/11/2008, 8:52 AM
Before you contact the builders I should be more specific and say that I'm mostly a sucker for the North west. Once we get further east than Derry and further south than south Donegal we're firmly back in hit or miss territory.

Dam you!!!!!! Let me ring you and convince you otherwise! :p

paul_oshea
05/11/2008, 9:13 AM
eel we westies, do not sing-song-along, we have a very bland drawn out vowel accent, actually drawn out like the yanks but the key difference is optimism and effect.

2legged tackle
05/11/2008, 9:43 AM
Not too sure about my favourite but my least favorite is that of the D4. Psoh almost English like. Can be heard around Bray and most Leinster Rugby clubs.

eelmonster
05/11/2008, 12:03 PM
eel we westies, do not sing-song-along, we have a very bland drawn out vowel accent, actually drawn out like the yanks but the key difference is optimism and effect.

It's all sing-song-along the N17, Paul :) With the exception of the Sligo towny accent, which sounds a little like the Dundawwk towny accent, which I'd put down to their proximity to the border. The worst accent on the island (and Dundalk is definitely up there) has to be the cacophonous fusion of Scots and Ulster heard in Coleraine/Ballymoney/Ballymena (hey).

Magicme
05/11/2008, 12:09 PM
I love the Ballymena accent. Used to go out with a guy whom I would make say, "Big Shopping Centre in Ballymena hey" over and over again. Bliss.

paul_oshea
05/11/2008, 1:36 PM
when did you make him say it?!

bennocelt
05/11/2008, 1:40 PM
It's all sing-song-along the N17, Paul :) With the exception of the Sligo towny accent, which sounds a little like the Dundawwk towny accent, which I'd put down to their proximity to the border. The worst accent on the island (and Dundalk is definitely up there) has to be the cacophonous fusion of Scots and Ulster heard in Coleraine/Ballymoney/Ballymena (hey).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA5N-O72G3Q
dont know I kind of like that accent - its kind of like a secret code that Ulster Scots can only decipher

Magicme
05/11/2008, 3:52 PM
when did you make him say it?!

Guess!!!

paul_oshea
05/11/2008, 4:03 PM
No, kids read this forum!

davey
08/11/2008, 5:23 PM

You'd need to be a bit more specific - there are some horrendous accents over here - the aberdonian one is particularly grating.

Nordie for me