PDA

View Full Version : Angry manager hits out at 'boo boys'

Estar
17/10/2003, 11:22 PM
SLIGO Rovers boss, Don O'Riordan, has hit back at the Showgrounds 'boo boys', describing their behaviour as "disgraceful" and vowing to make a success of his managerial reign.

O'Riordan was subjected to abuse from a small section of fans during Saturday night's defeat by Dublin City, a result which effectively extinguished Rovers flickering promotion prospects.

"I heard the comments and to be perfectly honest, I couldn't believe it. It was nothing short of a disgrace, during a game we were desperate to win. It sickened me that so-called supporters could do such a thing.

"Obviously, there was only a small element involved initially and it seems that others began to follow their lead. Perhaps these people have their own reasons for doing what they did, but Don O'Riordan is determined to make a success of Sligo Rovers.

"I came here when there weren't too many takers for the job and I suddenly didn't become a bad manager. Of course I am disappointed at the way things turned out, but I am now doubly determined to put things right ," he said.

And, O'Riordan revealed that he has already begun talks with the club's management committee with a view to strengthening the squad for next year.

"I've already spoken to them about what they want and what I need. We are all agreed that we require a number of experienced players, but they just don't 'grow on trees'.

"It takes finance and players are not going to come from England or Dublin, or indeed anywhere and play for € 200 a week, as some people seem to think.

"It is not any easy situation and we have to try to balance the books as well as improve our panel. I am already considering next season and the players I want to keep and the players I want to bring in," he confirmed.

"The kind of abuse I had to take on Saturday night was ridiculous. We played so well and everyone felt we deserved something from the game. I thought we should have won.

"It was gratifying to get a telephone call from a fan on Monday morning telling me how much he enjoyed the match and how he felt we were very unlucky. That was in marked contrast to the comments I had to listen to on Saturday night last," said O'Riordan.

Looking back on the three-two defeat to the Vikings, the Rovers manager stated his side produced a good performance.

"I was amazed at how things went, given the way we played. We created more chances than they did. We hit the post, hit the crossbar and their 'keeper brought off some special saves.

"We also spurned a couple of good opportunities and on a different night, we would have won," he maintained.

"We could have scored three or four in the first-half and I still don't know how Rivere Williams didn't score a hat-trick. We didn't do an awful lot wrong in the opening forty-five minutes, yet they got one chance and took it.

"At half time we said we would just continue to do what we were doing and we got two very good goals. However, we turned off defensively and I have to say that Ramuel Miller was adamant that he never touched the Dublin City player for the penalty that won the game and he was backed up by our goalkeeper, Ciaran Kelly," O'Riordan went on.

The manager said he was proud of his players and the level of commitment they had displayed.

"At the end of the day, it was very disappointing. While mathematically, it is still possible for us to make the play-offs, it was a game we really needed to win," he declared.

O'Riordan has now set a target of accumulating as many points as possible between now and the end of the season, beginning with tonight's trip to Newbridge to play Kildare County.

He will, however, be without striker, Paul McTiernan, expected to be out for at least three weeks with an ankle ligament problem, while Barry O'Dwyer suffered a knee injury against Dublin City and is also doubtful.

Ollie Keogh is also struggling with a hamstring strain, while Ramuel Miller, Luther Watson and Gerry Carr picked up knocks.

"At this stage, I don't know what sort of a team I will have tonight. The injury situation just seems to get worse with each passing week. I have always said that we have a good squad and one which was capable of gaining promotion, had we everyone fit and available to us.

"We will just have to take things as the come from here on in and hopefully we can get back on the winning track," said O'Riordan.

Following tonight's match, Rovers take on basement side, Monaghan United at the Showgrounds on Saturday night. (Kick-off 7.30pm).

gustavo
18/10/2003, 8:54 PM
Dons typical interview style really
Usually goes something like this

" blah blah blah blah blah the lads gave it 100 percent ....blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah injuries really costing us this season ....... ...... blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah ref was a disgrace ...... blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah young side ........ .
blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah we still can mathematically make the playoffs .......... blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah i wont give up etc etc etc bull**** bull**** bull**** ad nauseu,m

TheRealRovers
20/10/2003, 6:50 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo