PDA

View Full Version : Boylesports Reluctant to take bets on the E.L.

Pages : [1] 2

eamo1
30/10/2008, 8:40 PM
Couldnt believe it today when i went in to do my usual E.L accumulator for the weekend games that they nearly didnt take my bet.They are claiming "theres skullduggery going on" and are actually believing theres match fixing going on.
I think its just the guys who do their odds havent a clue of the league and have gotten stung badly lately so in order to save their rep their making these claims.
When i told them id go across the road instead and do it in Paddypowers they then took my bet.
Anyone else here encountering the same level of ignorance and stupidity?

BohsPartisan
30/10/2008, 8:43 PM
In fairness...

Terry
30/10/2008, 8:43 PM
what do you think the lads have been on about for the past week or so?

Raheny Red
30/10/2008, 8:45 PM
Couldnt believe it today when i went in to do my usual E.L accumulator for the weekend games that they nearly didnt take my bet.They are claiming "theres skullduggery going on" and are actually believing theres match fixing going on.
I think its just the guys who do their odds havent a clue of the league and have gotten stung badly lately so in order to save their rep their making these claims.
When i told them id go across the road instead and do it in Paddypowers they then took my bet.

Nope, had 150 blips on the Blades tonight @ 7s :cool:

Sheridan
30/10/2008, 8:47 PM
They offered stupid odds on Limerick tonight, I lumped on just on a value basis and a bit perturbed they haven't credited my account yet. :/

Generally find Boylesports good to deal with. Most of the accounts of skullduggery stem from stupidity on the part of the bookies, who are notoriously bad losers. It's a lot harder to fix a football match than you'd imagine (I've looked into it.)

Raheny Red
30/10/2008, 8:50 PM
The max bet on willhill online for L37 to win tonight was €181.25 - that's a joke.

Rovers Maniac
30/10/2008, 8:52 PM
Totally agree there is a few of us that have fancies we email each and tonight one of the lads fancied Lims, so i would say there was a few of us on them tonight.

brianw82
30/10/2008, 8:52 PM
They offered stupid odds on Limerick tonight, I lumped on just on a value basis and a bit perturbed they haven't credited my account yet. :/

The match only ended within the last 20 minutes, sometimes it takes a while for the account to be updated. I wouldn't think anything of it.

micls
30/10/2008, 8:54 PM
I fancied Limerick tonight too and had them in my accumulator.

If Boylesport actually paid any attention to the league theyd realise Limerick have played some lovely stuff this year and regular beaten the bigger teams. And Dundalk are known for bottling it.

Nothing got to do with match fixing, just symptomatic of a country that doesnt give a crap about it's league

A face
30/10/2008, 9:21 PM
It's a lot harder to fix a football match than you'd imagine (I've looked into it.)

What game were you looking at fixing? Were Dublin City involved?

Sheridan
30/10/2008, 9:24 PM
I was researching an article on it and spoke to some people with first hand experience (not in this country.) Only amateurs fix the actual Win-Draw-Lose market, and usually get caught.

SkStu
30/10/2008, 9:29 PM
In fairness...

:D

summed up perfectly!

brianw82
30/10/2008, 10:23 PM
I've heard all sorts of rumours about Sligo's last game away to Bray last season, there was huge money going on Bray from all over the country, and that some of the Rovers management were in on it. I don't know how true any of it is/was.

eamo1
30/10/2008, 10:28 PM
Was not aware this was being discussed already.
FAO FINNNPARK:your either a WUM or you enjoy trying to ruin the reps of every club.
Take the recent Pats Galway Utd game-Pats had nothing to play for and were resting key players,Galway utd HAD to win the game and were virtually full strength.Incredibly G.u were just over 3/1 to win and draw was just under 2/1.The guy in Boyles obviously just glanced at the league table before setting those odds and didnt bother to look up team news and who needed the win etc.As someone has already said,Bookmakers are very bad sore losers and this is whats happening.

brianw82
30/10/2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah, some of the odds available in the leauge are a joke. The bookies don't have a clue sometimes. Like Bohs being even money to beat Drogheda at home in the leauge in September. They deserve to take a pasting for not doing their research.

Longfordian
30/10/2008, 10:35 PM
There was also the game a couple of years ago where Drogs were playing their U21s and U18s against Rovers in the League Cup yet the bookies were still offering generous odds on Rovers. They got cleaned out. Somebody wasn't paying close enough attention to the team news as Doolin had flagged it well in advance.

Ceirtlis
30/10/2008, 11:13 PM
If the bookies were not making money pricing the league they wouldnt do so. For those who are making money long term betting on it, keep up the good fight.

JC_GUFC
31/10/2008, 3:19 AM
It's interesting to note that they're only currently offering odds on the live match and the Setanta Cup final.

To be fair to them they were top price Dundalk tonight but I guess that wasn't much use if they weren't willing to take any bets on them.

I think, more than most leagues, you find the teams who are battling against relegation generally win against teams with nothing to play for.

Harps and Galway look like they could be the value bets this week. The odds on Derry v Galway are nearly exactly the same as for the cup semi but Derry are at home in this game!

bigmac
31/10/2008, 8:12 AM
I was researching an article on it and spoke to some people with first hand experience (not in this country.) Only amateurs fix the actual Win-Draw-Lose market, and usually get caught.

First throw in etc??

OneRedArmy
31/10/2008, 8:44 AM
Wasn't there a fairly big investigation last year involving the FAI and a number of clubs?

Very hard to prove though.

Sheridan
31/10/2008, 9:02 AM
First throw in etc??
Mostly scoreline bets, they can pay big without being too outlandish. That's what all the bent games in the Intertoto have used in recent years. Generally it's very hard to fix a game without almost everyone involved being in on it (i.e., officials at both clubs and almost all the players.) Of course, as with any conspiracy, the chances of discovery increase exponentially with every conspirator added. The key is using a (far, far) overseas bookmaker if possible and spreading the bets around to avoid detection.

Of course, games are routinely fixed in some countries, but not in the traditional sense. In Romania until very recently, the top clubs organised a cartel whereby they'd swap draws against one another. Similar things happen in Italy towards the end of the season. It's not usually a gambling venture, though.

finnpark
31/10/2008, 10:12 AM

Well I don't beleive that Galway are fixing matches but if they beat Derry this evening then I will begin to wonder if the rumours are true.

I thought the draw for the FAI cup was very unusual as Galway always got an easy home draw. Id like to see Galway play in the premier next year as they have a lot to offer the league but not at the expense of Harps ;)

finnpark
31/10/2008, 10:14 AM
Mostly scoreline bets, they can pay big without being too outlandish. That's what all the bent games in the Intertoto have used in recent years. Generally it's very hard to fix a game without almost everyone involved being in on it (i.e., officials at both clubs and almost all the players.) Of course, as with any conspiracy, the chances of discovery increase exponentially with every conspirator added. The key is using a (far, far) overseas bookmaker if possible and spreading the bets around to avoid detection.

Of course, games are routinely fixed in some countries, but not in the traditional sense. In Romania until very recently, the top clubs organised a cartel whereby they'd swap draws against one another. Similar things happen in Italy towards the end of the season. It's not usually a gambling venture, though.

In the english premeirship it seems to me that the referee decides the outcome of the games. If you think the LOI officials are a farce then you should watch the english football. The decisions are baffling. :confused: or are they ;)

exiled_gufc_fan
31/10/2008, 12:57 PM
Well I don't beleive that Galway are fixing matches but if they beat Derry this evening then I will begin to wonder if the rumours are true.

I thought the draw for the FAI cup was very unusual as Galway always got an easy home draw. Id like to see Galway play in the premier next year as they have a lot to offer the league but not at the expense of Harps ;)

If the bookies pay out on Galway beating Derry this evening then they'll have taken their eye properly off the ball. :eek:

Candystripe
31/10/2008, 5:13 PM

As GUFC exiled says there is no way that Derry will beat Galway tonight and I'll put my house on it :p

micls
31/10/2008, 6:24 PM
I fancy Galway tonight. Derry have been far from top form in recent times, were poor against us, poor against Galway last time etc.

Galway players fighting for their lives.

Rovers1
31/10/2008, 8:14 PM
As GUFC exiled says there is no way that Derry will beat Galway tonight and I'll put my house on it :p

think il take that bit of advice too :cool:;)

The Rebel Ram
01/11/2008, 10:18 AM

I had to wait in the shop yesterday while they made a call to head office. They took the bet though. I've been making a fair few bob out of the league the past couple of months. I've been using the money to pay poker with Boyles too. Not going too bad there either.
I got a phone call off of Boyles later in the day after they put €180 into my account and asked if I would be interested in Racing and Sunderland VIP tickets in the future.
It's getting to be a win win situation.
Galway 16/5 to beat Derry, I'll have that :)

Terry
01/11/2008, 10:46 AM
hope your bet comes in for you ! ;)

Sheridan
01/11/2008, 11:00 AM
Rebel Ram, this is all your fault. You were the one who alerted everyone to the First Goalscorer odds on Gaynor against UCD earlier in the season. Half of Cobh must have been on that one. :D

Rambling Along
01/11/2008, 11:32 AM
They had no coupons out in the Cobh branch yesterday and so weren't taking bets. Even the live match coupon for the Bray vs Cobh game wasn't out.

Definetley Boyles have copped something they just havn't really told anyone yet.

Sheridan
01/11/2008, 4:21 PM
Hmm...

Just looking through the record of last night's bets on paddypower.ie (won **** all) and this is the entry for Mons-Longford in one accumulator:

"Monaghan United v Longford Town**Do Not Settle**"

What does that mean? Stewards' inquiry?

Dodge
01/11/2008, 4:44 PM
Definetley Boyles have copped something they just havn't really told anyone yet.

Only thing they've copped is that they haven't a clue about LOI football and are losing money as a result of it. I've only ever had 5 bets with Boyles. All winners

Rambling Along
01/11/2008, 4:50 PM
Hmm...

Just looking through the record of last night's bets on paddypower.ie (won **** all) and this is the entry for Mons-Longford in one accumulator:

"Monaghan United v Longford Town**Do Not Settle**"

What does that mean? Stewards' inquiry?

Irregular numbers may have won off a Monaghan win. Another possibility is that somebody actually bet on Monaghan to win 5-1!

Martinho II
01/11/2008, 6:12 PM
Irregular numbers may have won off a Monaghan win. Another possibility is that somebody actually bet on Monaghan to win 5-1!

i was on my way home from mons town match when my friend from sligo text me from sligo statin that the bookies wouldnt accept money from this match before it kicked off..he reckons the game was a fix!!

Raheny Red
02/11/2008, 10:00 AM
Paddy Power hit for €30k in suspected betting 'sting'

By JOHNNY WARD

Sunday November 02 2008

EXCLUSIVE

Paddy Power Bookmakers was hit by a loss of close to €30,000 when a wholesale gamble was landed in an apparently insignificant eircom League first division match on Friday night.

Monaghan United trounced Longford Town 5-1, costing bookmakers in Ireland and England a considerable sum of money after what are being viewed in the industry as suspicious betting patterns.

United, who prior to the match had scored 27 goals in their 32 league games, were slashed from 6/5 into odds-on by all bookmakers, with Paddy Power eventually forced to suspend betting in the hour before kick-off.

The bookmaker's spokesman, Paddy Power, estimated that the match attracted approximately 20 times the turnover he would normally expect for a low-grade first division game in the eircom League.

"It's a very low-profile game and you tend to take a handful of bets on it but the fact that there was a widespread gamble would certainly raise a few eyebrows.

"When we priced it up, we thought we might lay Longford at 15/8 -- they've been playing quite well -- but in fact it was all Monaghan. And rather than one big bet, it was a spread of bets on Thursday in our north Dublin shops. It just looked like a well-organised sting.

"We literally didn't take one bet on Longford. In that type of game, you'd be amazed if you even took one bet in the north Dublin shops involved and you'd expect a handful across the country.

"The thing that makes it look suspicious was that it was people putting on small bets to stay under the radar. Bets of €500 at 6/5 wouldn't raise many eyebrows."

Successful punters who backed winners Monaghan with Paddy Powers had to wait until yesterday to be paid out, and were informed by the bookmaker that the delay was due to the match being "under investigation due to irregular betting patterns".

Betting exchange giants Betfair, who have in place a memorandum of understanding with the FAI which allows the association to investigate betting movements on matches under its jurisdiction if requested, also reported that there was a higher-than normal level of trading on the match.

Contacted by the Sunday Independent yesterday, a spokesman for the FAI confirmed it would be looking into the matter.

"The FAI takes any such claims very seriously," he said. "We will be contacting the bookmakers concerned to look into whether there is any substance to these claims and will investigate further if appropriate."

- JOHNNY WARD

Sheridan
02/11/2008, 10:25 AM
LOL - 30k? How long did it take them to recoup that loss, about ninety seconds? By all means pass the info on to the FAI if the patterns were in any way irregular, but to go cribbing about a piffling loss like that to the media... Nothing there that can't be explained by form and poor pricing.

If it was a sting, it was the most half-arsed one in history. I wonder do Monaghan and/or Longford have any legal recourse here given what's being implied and cannot (and will not) be proven?

Sam_Heggy
02/11/2008, 10:36 AM
I'll be lumping money on Cobh to beat Bohs next week.
Hendo and Nutsy are big mates aint they? Hendo's brother is on the staff at Bohs too as far as I know.
Now, if Bohs officials can look at this and say "ah jeez we have to win this now" :D

Seriously though, all this match fixing is silly, I doubt very much Mons and Longford was fixed. Too many people would have to be in on it for a 5-1 win.
Galway hammered Bray because they were far superior and took their chances. Cobh should have hammered Bray but between a combination of a brilliant display from Gough and poor finishing they lost.

At the end of the day though, FIX!!!!!!!

Sheridan
02/11/2008, 10:50 AM
Incidentally, PP are taking that "sting" so seriously that they're offering odds on Monaghan vs. Kildare this afternoon.

5-1 scoreline is 66-1...

Terry
02/11/2008, 10:58 AM
Well today I will be beating jay o'shea to score in the 90mins and GUFC to win at 17/2

Lim till i die
02/11/2008, 11:49 AM
I don't understand.

What would Galway United have to gain by fixing Monaghan v Longford :confused:

Sheridan
02/11/2008, 11:51 AM
30k buys you a lot of DVD-making software.

Longfordian
02/11/2008, 1:48 PM
Fixed or not, our display was a disgrace. But that could be down to a number of things not that it was fixed.

Magicme
02/11/2008, 2:03 PM
Its a joke. Longford played their guts out and looked like they were still in the game when we were 3-1 up.

Crazy talk!

gspain
03/11/2008, 6:55 AM
I think it is more down to sides giving young players arun at this stage of the season. Remember Shels lost at home to Wexford youths on the last day last season playing a youth team.

Inside knowledge and the l;ack of coverage in the papers of our league can play a part here.

Magicme
03/11/2008, 7:55 AM
Yeah you cant blame Longford for playing a young side, they have nothing left to lose or gain and want to get a look at players for next season.

Also wonder did they consider the fact that we have a supporters club of 30+ in the North Dublin area who may have decided that since we beat Wexford 3-1 we might be a good bet against Longford. Lots of people bet on eL.

Martinho II
03/11/2008, 9:22 PM
Yeah you cant blame Longford for playing a young side, they have nothing left to lose or gain and want to get a look at players for next season.

Also wonder did they consider the fact that we have a supporters club of 30+ in the North Dublin area who may have decided that since we beat Wexford 3-1 we might be a good bet against Longford. Lots of people bet on eL.

its a very reasonable point that you have made there magicme! never thought of that before.. our own PRO was on shannonside today about it.. i think the whole episode has bein blown out of proportion...

JC_GUFC
03/11/2008, 11:31 PM
I think it is more down to sides giving young players arun at this stage of the season. Remember Shels lost at home to Wexford youths on the last day last season playing a youth team.

Inside knowledge and the l;ack of coverage in the papers of our league can play a part here.

But they only made 2 changes from their previous game, so it wasn't because of team news. There was very little difference in recent form so it wasn't because of form. So there must be some other reason that people decided to back Monaghan...

sligoman
03/11/2008, 11:35 PM
But they only made 2 changes from their previous game, so it wasn't because of team news. There was very little difference in recent form so it wasn't because of form. So there must be some other reason that people decided to back Monaghan...Because they were good value at evens maybe? I even posted about it before the game here (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1049805&postcount=96), unless I'm in on this "fix" too...

Jofspring
03/11/2008, 11:54 PM
Its total crap from the Bookies, the majority of Fans who watch a team in the first divison would have backed Mons for that match.(No offence Longford)