PDA

View Full Version : Boylesports Reluctant to take bets on the E.L.

Pages : 1 [2]

Longfordian
04/11/2008, 12:29 AM
Monaghan have a pretty good home record this year if memory serves. I wasn't really all that confident of a win but I wasn't expecting 5-1 even if it did flatter Monaghan a bit. Nothing can be proved one way or another until it's clear who made the bets and if they have any connection to either team. I'm assuming players and staff wouldn't be stupid enough to do it themselves. I just can't see there being an organised 'sting'. People mouthing off around Dublin about various grievances and not being arsed maybe, I can't say but I can't see it being anything more.

passinginterest
04/11/2008, 8:44 AM
Have a look at the predictions thread here, the vast majority went for Monaghan win or draw. It was fairly obvious to anyone with an interest in League of Ireland that Lonford wouldn't be winning the game. The margin of victory was bigger than expected but hardly massive. Have a look at the betting competition thread. The Shels supporter fella is making a small fortune and many of his bets have been on League of Ireland games. It's poorly informed bookies costing themselves money.

joeSoap
04/11/2008, 9:12 AM
As GUFC exiled says there is no way that Derry will beat Galway tonight and I'll put my house on it :p
So, how's the homeless life?

gspain
04/11/2008, 11:44 AM
Limerick's recent 5-1 win over Waterford was even more unlikely. It screwed up their promotion hopes. However anybody watching Limerick recently would have expected such a performance and Waterford were the unfortunate victims.

Monaghan have looked good all season excet they had problems putting the ball in the net. Sounds like they got that right.

exiled_gufc_fan
04/11/2008, 12:30 PM
So, how's the homeless life?

I think you missed the point. The game was not played on Friday (the tonight bit, but on Sunday :D )

BohDiddley
04/11/2008, 12:32 PM
It's poorly informed bookies costing themselves money.

So, the bookies got the odds wrong and now are crying foul. Seems more than plausible.

seand60
04/11/2008, 4:05 PM
Aisling Fennin, former FAI press lady, now works for Boylesports. Contact her if you have any problems putting on bets on the EL.

JC_GUFC
04/11/2008, 8:06 PM
Have a look at the predictions thread here, the vast majority went for Monaghan win or draw. It was fairly obvious to anyone with an interest in League of Ireland that Lonford wouldn't be winning the game. The margin of victory was bigger than expected but hardly massive. Have a look at the betting competition thread. The Shels supporter fella is making a small fortune and many of his bets have been on League of Ireland games. It's poorly informed bookies costing themselves money.

You tipped a draw yourself and actually more people tipped Monaghan not to win than to win!

Leaving the bookies whinging aside do you not think that it's very worrying that there is the possibility that there are people who are involved in match fixing here?

passinginterest
04/11/2008, 8:21 PM
I know I tipped the draw, that's why I don't gamble, the balance is definitely towards Monaghan though 14 Monaghan, 10 draw, 8 Longford. You're the expert, but to me that suggests Monaghan at short odds.

Obviously it would be worrying to think that games were being fixed, I don't think they are though. Maybe people passing inside information on teams and the like, which may not be particularly ethical, but will always happen in such a small league. As people have pointed out the losses are very small, so far anyway.

Longfordian
04/11/2008, 8:23 PM
Certainly if it's proven against any individuals I'd throw the book at them but I can't see how it will be. Maybe Paddy Power et al's investigations will show something but if it doesn't prove anything conclusively what is anyone supposed to do about it?. I know our club would love to receive all evidence gathered by the bookies involved and then investigate but nobody has access to that information at the moment, what do you want them to do?. You have to believe in your employees' integrity unless shown otherwise.

Rambling Along
04/11/2008, 8:26 PM
Should we be monitoring the Good tip thread???:D

There's match-fixing going on in this league I have no doubt about it.

EDIT: Just to add, there are no odds available with Boyles for this weekends games:(

Sheridan
04/11/2008, 8:53 PM
Boyles had Cork 15-8 to beat Pat's tonight. With Cork's form and St. Pats' home record that was an absolute steal (if you had enough money spare to make it worthwhile, I didn't.) Ignorance and bad pricing, that's all.

KUFCMan
04/11/2008, 9:18 PM
Where is the betting competition thread?

passinginterest
04/11/2008, 9:20 PM
Where is the betting competition thread?

here you go: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=1051991#post1051991 (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=1051991#post1051991)

randomcomment
05/11/2008, 12:16 PM
Hi guys, my first post!

I've a better one. Lads here in Dundalk noticed Boylesports were giving odds on Meath and District league matches. The same lads play for MDL table topper Woodview Celtic. They had Woodview v Navan at 2pm on Sunday. The game took place at 11am and woodview won 2nil. On the way home they went into Boylesports and backed themselves and made a fortune!

Dodge
05/11/2008, 12:28 PM
But they only made 2 changes from their previous game, so it wasn't because of team news. There was very little difference in recent form so it wasn't because of form. So there must be some other reason that people decided to back Monaghan...

All it takes is one or two people to "think" its fixed for any betting patterns to get out of hand. If a couple of blokes think its fixed, then thell their mates, who tell their mates, its pretty easy to spread to €30k worth of bets

There are tons of gambling forums about, and every single week there's a game on in europe that supposed to be fixed. There's as many losers as winners.

If the Monaghan game was fixed, there's absolutely no way they'd win 5-1. 2 goal margin of victory at an absolute max. Don't forget, Monaghan were odds on before this "broke"

Magicme
05/11/2008, 12:31 PM
Exactly Dodge and as we had scored 3 previous week and scored 3 against Kildare on Sunday, I dont think there is anything suspect about us scoring goals. It has just clicked for us up front at the moment. Haran is settling in well and Hanaphy is getting more run outs and both are linking up well with Scully and Brennan. Nothing mysterious about it.

JC_GUFC
05/11/2008, 4:23 PM
I know I tipped the draw, that's why I don't gamble, the balance is definitely towards Monaghan though 14 Monaghan, 10 draw, 8 Longford. You're the expert, but to me that suggests Monaghan at short odds.

Just based on that it would suggest that Monaghan would be about 11/10 or 6/5 - which is what they were. Slightly less than a 50/50 chance.

Obviously it would be worrying to think that games were being fixed, I don't think they are though. Maybe people passing inside information on teams and the like, which may not be particularly ethical, but will always happen in such a small league. As people have pointed out the losses are very small, so far anyway.

Absolutely - I 100% agree - there is nothing wrong with people getting in ahead of the bookies with team news - and I'd actually disagree that there's anything unethical about it. It's up to the bookies to know or anticipate team news. If you get that before them then fair play.

However there wasn't team news in this game and I think it's fair enough to say that if you were looking to fix and eircom League game last weekend Monaghan v Longford would look like the easiest one to arrange as neither team had anything to play for.

At the end of the day nothing will come out and the bets have been paid but the "attack" on the bookmakers here is a bit harsh!

Does anyone remember about 5 years ago you couldn't even place single bets on the eircom League - now you can back over 50 markets in every Premier Division match and about 15 in each First Division match.

Dodge
05/11/2008, 4:40 PM
Does anyone remember about 5 years ago you couldn't even place single bets on the eircom League - now you can back over 50 markets in every Premier Division match and about 15 in each First Division match.

Aye, and they wouldn't do if it wasn't profitable, so the "attack" of the bookies as you call it, isn't really an attack, just a defence to the bookies' attack.

They make money off us suckers, so can't really complain when he's hit for 30k one time

bennocelt
05/11/2008, 5:46 PM
but the "attack" on the bookmakers here is a bit harsh!

Man you must not gamble that often to be feeling sorry for bookmakers:eek:
do you also have a soft spot for publicans and taxi drivers in these harsh times of ours!

Longfordian
05/11/2008, 6:40 PM
He works for the bookies in question!. It was probably he who set those odds. Not having a go at you by the way JC. Your rise to fame has been well documented!.

eL Bettor
05/11/2008, 8:40 PM
I note for this weekends games, there is very very little between the prices of about 10 bookies, seems like they are all copying each other now.

Bray at 2/1 with Boyles at home to Drogs does stand out for me though.

Magicme
05/11/2008, 10:29 PM
However there wasn't team news in this game and I think it's fair enough to say that if you were looking to fix and eircom League game last weekend Monaghan v Longford would look like the easiest one to arrange as neither team had anything to play for.

Actually JC there was Monaghan United team news, on our website and emailed to the press, was also on aertel. We had no injuries and just had Paul Whelan suspended.

JC_GUFC
06/11/2008, 12:01 AM
I note for this weekends games, there is very very little between the prices of about 10 bookies, seems like they are all copying each other now.

Bray at 2/1 with Boyles at home to Drogs does stand out for me though.

Yeah it's pretty frustrating when everyone else just copies the first lines that go up...

It usually is the case but in recent weeks it has become ridiculous!

Actually JC there was Monaghan United team news, on our website and emailed to the press, was also on aertel. We had no injuries and just had Paul Whelan suspended.

I didn't mean that there was literally no team news - just nothing significant that would explain the gamble on Longford.

Magicme
06/11/2008, 8:19 AM
Yeah it's pretty frustrating when everyone else just copies the first lines that go up...

It usually is the case but in recent weeks it has become ridiculous!

I didn't mean that there was literally no team news - just nothing significant that would explain the gamble on Longford.

Ok, but do you not think it might have been significant that we were pretty much at full strenght? And while Wheelo is a fantastic player for us we do have options open to us.

Anyways, doesnt matter. We won and that is all I give a damn about.

eL Bettor
06/11/2008, 12:19 PM
magic me and fellow Mons:
Are ye worth a punt at 11/2 away to Fingal?

And are Wexford worth backing at 5/2+ away to Longford?

passinginterest
06/11/2008, 12:52 PM

Wouldn't touch Wexford at them moment. Bad and all as Longford are, the Wexford senior players can't seem to wait for the season to end and the younger lads getting games recently aren't up to much. I'd be very happy if we scraped a draw.

Don't think Monaghan have enough to take Fingal either. Fingal are strong at home and should have enough quality about them.

Youths4Ever
06/11/2008, 12:55 PM

would not recommend it as did not have one shot on goal in Athlone missing too many players through injury and suspension and young lads getting a run out for next year

sligoman
06/11/2008, 3:47 PM
Juventus were 5-1 to beat Real Madrid last night...whoever came up with those odds should be shown the door at PP.

passerrby
06/11/2008, 3:53 PM

well worth a few bob ,wer are playing well enough but dont back with paddy power he does not like losing

brianw82
15/11/2008, 8:00 AM
There must be plenty of happy bookies this morning, now that Farren nicked the Golden Boot ahead of favourites Mooney and Quigley.

KUFCMan
15/11/2008, 10:49 AM
Was it not a 3 way dead heat with Farren,Mooney and Quigley all on 16 goals?Is there any site with the top scorers?

Dodge
15/11/2008, 11:39 AM
Was it not a 3 way dead heat with Farren,Mooney and Quigley all on 16 goals?Is there any site with the top scorers?

Farren on 16, others on 15