PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Women's National Team

Pages : [1] 2

happydays97
30/10/2008, 5:41 PM
Second leg of the playoff is live on Eurosport

Getting beat 1-0

3-2 down in the tie

Check out the Icelandic right back taking the throw in.

back of the net
30/10/2008, 5:56 PM
Second leg of the playoff is live on Eurosport

Getting beat 1-0

3-2 down in the tie

Check out the Icelandic right back taking the throw in.

did the first leg not end 1-1 at richmond?? are they not 2-1 down?

pineapple stu
30/10/2008, 5:56 PM
Yep..

happydays97
30/10/2008, 6:16 PM
Thought it ended 2-2 :confused::confused:

Dodge
30/10/2008, 6:28 PM
http://www.uefa.com/Live/Competitions/WOCO/MatchCentreLight/matchday=-1/day=2/match=304163/index.html

Text updates (of sorts )

ifk101
30/10/2008, 7:19 PM
Well beaten in the end.

Don't think we had a shot on goals.

mark12345
30/10/2008, 7:50 PM
Nothin for nothin lads but its very disheartening to see a country not even half our population being able to 'manhandle' us like that. Just doesn't add up. A lot of our lot are playing for Arsenal and other top teams. It seems like a lot of people freeze when they pull on the green shirt.

Torn-Ado
30/10/2008, 8:00 PM
Nothin for nothin lads but its very disheartening to see a country not even half our population being able to 'manhandle' us like that. Just doesn't add up. A lot of our lot are playing for Arsenal and other top teams. It seems like a lot of people freeze when they pull on the green shirt.

Scandinavian countries have always been strong at womens football.

CJTheGull
31/10/2008, 8:53 AM
Scandinavian countries have always been strong at womens football.

Look not that I'm an expert in women's football but Iceland are definitely no Norway or Sweden.

This was Ireland's best chance to qualify for a major tournament and they blew it. Not that I'm gonna lose any sleep over it it's just disappointing when teams don't take their chances.

paul_oshea
31/10/2008, 10:13 AM
what does the iceland right back look like anyone got a pic? Dodge?!

mediahack
31/10/2008, 10:23 AM
Look not that I'm an expert in women's football but Iceland are definitely no Norway or Sweden.

This was Ireland's best chance to qualify for a major tournament and they blew it. Not that I'm gonna lose any sleep over it it's just disappointing when teams don't take their chances.

To be fair Iceland are ranked 18th in the world whereas Ireland are ranked 28th so it would have been expected of the home side to progress!

That said, the pitch was frozen and the players seemed to have a lot of problems on it - seems it was -2 degrees at kick off and got colder!

As for the Icelandic defender - a forward sommersault before throwing in the ball was her party piece! But there were quite a lot of good lookers on the team! :rolleyes:

paul_oshea
31/10/2008, 10:25 AM
remember the estonian player that used to do this as well?! whats the point in doing it anyway?

ifk101
31/10/2008, 10:38 AM
I thought our goalie was to blame for each of the 3 goals but there's no doubting that Iceland were far the better side and were going to score one way or the other.

A lot of our play was aimless kicks forward and there was way too much space between our lone forward and the midfield.

geysir
31/10/2008, 12:00 PM
remember the estonian player that used to do this as well?! whats the point in doing it anyway?
Whats the point?
Do the maths, she gets twice the power behind the ball and approx twice the length in the throw, compared to her regular throw ins.

tetsujin1979
19/09/2017, 6:43 PM
Live coverage of the Northern Ireland v Republic of Ireland on BBC's website: http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/41193909?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport_ni&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=northern_ireland

DannyInvincible
19/09/2017, 7:26 PM
Took the lead in first-half stoppage time through an own-goal that resulted directly from a dangerous long throw into the NI box.

backstothewall
19/09/2017, 7:31 PM
I'm at the game. So far we are much the better side. The NI right back isn't a bad player though.

Mourneview Park is a great wee ground.

DannyInvincible
19/09/2017, 7:33 PM
It's been pretty much one-way traffic, bar a headed chance for NI from a corner that forced a good save from Hourihan. The goal was only a matter of time. Second half has just started now.

tetsujin1979
19/09/2017, 7:41 PM
Roche with the ball in the net for the second, but ruled out for offside

Met her at the Sweden game at the Euros last year, was really nice and must have posed for a few hundred photos over the course of the game.

backstothewall
19/09/2017, 7:56 PM
2-0

I was right behind her and that was a goal the second it left her foot.

tetsujin1979
19/09/2017, 7:59 PM
Megan Campbell, great strike. She's been the best player on the night.

DannyInvincible
19/09/2017, 8:04 PM
2-0

Campbell's throw-ins have caused so much trouble.

tetsujin1979
19/09/2017, 8:16 PM
goal online here: https://twitter.com/BBCSPORTNI/status/910233233618538496

backstothewall
19/09/2017, 8:18 PM
Campbell's throw-ins have caused so much trouble.

The general consensus here is to play her against Moldova for the throws alone

DannyInvincible
19/09/2017, 8:24 PM
Is it usual that they don't play the anthems before these games or did the authorities decide to skip them just for tonight's fixture for some reason?

backstothewall
19/09/2017, 9:31 PM
Is it usual that they don't play the anthems before these games or did the authorities decide to skip them just for tonight's fixture for some reason?

There was some kind of a flag shortage as well. Amazingly nobody in Lurgan could locate a tricolour or an old Stormont flag for the flagpoles. Funnily enough I thought I had seen both on lampposts on the way in!

seanfhear
20/09/2017, 2:39 AM
There was some kind of a flag shortage as well. Amazingly nobody in Lurgan could locate a tricolour or an old Stormont flag for the flagpoles. Funnily enough I thought I had seen both on lampposts on the way in!A Flag Shortage in Northern Ireland........Very Suspicious Alright .

DeLorean
20/09/2017, 7:10 AM

You must have known the NI goalkeeper wasn't up to much! :D

backstothewall
20/09/2017, 9:28 AM
You must have known the NI goalkeeper wasn't up to much! :D

It was more that I could see how tall she was (or wasn't)!

DeLorean
20/09/2017, 9:37 AM

Safety concerns - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41332126

Mr_Parker
20/09/2017, 2:05 PM
Safety concerns - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41332126

IFA kop out. The UEFA delegate hands were tied and had to give the decision. If the IFA had stated that they were not going to give into sectarianism/xenophobia, then he would have supported them. The PSNI would in turn be duty bound to put measures in place to deal with any so-called threat. It was any easy out.

It will be interesting to see what potentially happens in the future, when the IFA have decisions to make on anthems and flags, especially given there statements and meetings with political parties pre and post the 2013 Irish Cup final. Not that I'm suggesting IFA double standards.....:p

Gather round
20/09/2017, 2:15 PM
IFA kop out. The UEFA delegate hands were tied and had to give the decision. If the IFA had stated that they were not going to give into sectarianism/xenophobia, then he would have supported them. The PSNI would in turn be duty bound to put measures in place to deal with any so-called threat. It was any easy out

Aye, agree it was "easy"- or at least easier that filling the ground with Police officers. The thing is, there is a range of direct and other costs, and for the second option they're likely higher.

It will be interesting to see what potentially happens in the future, when the IFA have decisions to make on anthems and flags, especially given there statements and meetings with political parties pre and post the 2013 Irish Cup final. Not that I'm suggesting IFA double standards.....:p

The same (no flags or anthems) happening in future must be likely. Ideally they'll take advice from the Police and ignore Andree Murphy and Nelson Mancausla (or whoever speaks for the Shinners and Dupes now they don't bother talking to local media direct).

Point taken on double standards

Charlie Darwin
20/09/2017, 3:53 PM
What would they need to be filling the ground with police for? This is baffling.

Gather round
20/09/2017, 4:09 PM
What would they need to be filling the ground with police for? This is baffling

Deploying the cops is a predictable and reasonable response to the threat of public disorder.

Not using potentially contentious flags and emblems similarly- and likely cheaper (in broad terms) as I suggested.

What's to baffle? This is hardly unprecedented at sporting events in NI.

DannyInvincible
20/09/2017, 4:11 PM
Did someone (or some group) threaten to endanger people's safety/lives (within the ground?) if the tricolour was flown and 'Amhrán na bhFiann' was played?

Gather round
20/09/2017, 4:14 PM
That's the implication of reports today which mentioned safety concerns.

seanfhear
20/09/2017, 4:17 PM
Did someone (or some group) threaten to endanger people's safety/lives (within the ground?) if the tricolour was flown and 'Amhrán na bhFiann' was played?It seems that way . Somebody was probably going to make a sizeable effort to be outraged .

Charlie Darwin
20/09/2017, 4:17 PM
Deploying the cops is a predictable and reasonable response to the threat of public disorder.

Not using potentially contentious flags and emblems similarly- and likely cheaper (in broad terms) as I suggested.

What's to baffle? This is hardly unprecedented at sporting events in NI.
It's not unprecedented but surely you'd expect such carry on not to occur a match attended by a few hundred people, many of them kids, where the flying of flags is not only commonplace but normally mandatory. I know people up there are obsessed with flags but I thought at least some people would take a day off.

seanfhear
20/09/2017, 4:19 PM
It's not unprecedented but surely you'd expect such carry on not to occur a match attended by a few hundred people, many of them kids, where the flying of flags is not only commonplace but normally mandatory. I know people up there are obsessed with flags but I thought at least some people would take a day off.A day off you say . I'm outraged that you would suggest that this kind of outrage should take a day off .

backstothewall
20/09/2017, 6:30 PM
2 points

#1 None of this has anything to do with the IWNT

#2 As someone who was at the game i was quite pleased with the flegs/anthems approach taken by the organisers. I took my daughter along to what turned out to be a friendly family event. The last thing I wanted was to be witness to a political row. I honestly didn't give a damn if they had the flags, didn't have the flags, or attempted to prove John Hume wrong by eating the flags.

The number of comments made about flags vs the number of comments made about a good 2-0 win for the girls in... err... white would suggest the obsession with flags doesn't miraculously end somewhere between Crossmaglen and Carrickmacross :p

Charlie Darwin
20/09/2017, 6:37 PM
Well it's genuine confusion on my part.

backstothewall
20/09/2017, 7:18 PM
Part of the context which won't have been obvious from tv pictures is where the game was played. Lurgan was one corner of the "murder triangle" during the troubles and my observation of the area the stadium is in is that while not being the Shankhil Road, It's still in the sort of neighbourhood where some people wouldn't appreciate hearing Amhrán na bhFiann being played over loudspeakers as they sit down to watch Game of Thrones.

Mourneview Park sits in among the houses and Glenavon FC have neighbours. It only takes 1 or 2 idiots among those neighbours to cause a scene unfortunately.

The usual approach for this sort of thing would be to ask the police for an assessment. They in turn might ask local "community representatives" if there would be any bother from this approach or that. I'm sure what happened was whatever was deemed to be the least likely to cause bother and let the focus be on the football rather than the flagpole.

DeLorean
21/09/2017, 7:27 AM
It's still in the sort of neighbourhood where some people wouldn't appreciate hearing Amhrán na bhFiann being played over loudspeakers as they sit down to watch Game of Thrones.

This made me chuckle. :D

Stuttgart88
21/09/2017, 7:55 AM
Speaking of ladies' national teams, crazy stuff going on at the FA. What a shambles of an organisation.

DeLorean
21/09/2017, 12:40 PM
Speaking of ladies' national teams, crazy stuff going on at the FA. What a shambles of an organisation.

The world really is gone mad - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-41337127

tetsujin1979
28/11/2017, 8:01 PM
hard earned 0-0 tonight against the Netherlands, who were denied a certain penalty

gastric
28/11/2017, 9:46 PM
Was very lucky to go see Australia versus China at the weekend. If you get a chance have a look at a player called Sam Kerr. She is a phenomenal talent, the women's version of Messi and just as exciting.

BonnieShels
28/11/2017, 11:50 PM
Was very lucky to go see Australia versus China at the weekend. If you get a chance have a look at a player called Sam Kerr. She is a phenomenal talent, the women's version of Messi and just as exciting.

Who does she play for? :confused:

DeLorean
29/11/2017, 8:14 AM
hard earned 0-0 tonight against the Netherlands, who were denied a certain penalty

I saw some of it and it was backs to the wall stuff (http://www.uefa.com/womensworldcup/season=2019/matches/round=2000871/match=2022740/index.html) for sure. They looked out on their feet even approaching half time so it really was a massive effort. It would have been cruel to have lost to a last minute penalty but blessed to get away with it for sure, as handball decisions go it's usually one that would be given, even though she didn't know too much about it. They have the 'whipping girls' Slovakia next, followed by Netherlands and then Norway, all three games at home.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/935610980674846721

tetsujin1979
29/11/2017, 10:07 AM
Only one away game left to play, against Norway in June: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FIFA_Women%27s_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80 %93_UEFA_Group_3
Megan Campbell is out for the rest of the qualifiers after tearing her cruciate a few weeks ago