PDA

View Full Version : Ross & Brand "Scandal"

Pages : [1] 2

Billsthoughts
30/10/2008, 9:00 AM
What does anyone think of this?
Was first item on the news last nite.
I read the transcript and it seems fairly tame. Seems people are complaining out of a nostalgic fondness for manuel the waiter more than anything else.
Fintan O Tooles take on it all (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/1030/1225303610588.html)
Didnt see Tommy Tiernan on the Late Late but thought his show last year was Bernard Manning without the jokes...

passinginterest
30/10/2008, 9:06 AM
Had a listen to it last night on Youtube and it's definitely in very poor taste. I don't think anyone would appreciate their grandad receiving at least three voice mail messages making a joke of the fact that one of the callers may have had sex with his grandaughter.

I'd at least expect Johnathon Ross to have had a little more cop than to walk himself into such a situation. In fairness it was quite funny taken out of context, but, thinking about a 70 something year old man listening back to the messages they lose any real humour.

The grandaughter seems to be making the most of it anyway, selling her story to the Sun and generally coming across as a classy piece of work.

OneRedArmy
30/10/2008, 9:13 AM
I have no sympathy for anyone who hires Max Clifford to represent them.

Poor taste, yes, but worthy of being one of the top items on the news?! Definitely not.

Storm in a teacup.

PS Ross is a smug tool. Always has been.

passinginterest
30/10/2008, 9:23 AM
That Fintan O'Toole article makes some very interesting points. Tommy Tiernan was funny when he first emerged on the scene but his recent shows have been awful, he's really lost the ability to write a funny gag.

ORA I'd 100% agree that it shouldn't be number one headline news, however, we live in a tabloid, personality driven society and these stories cater to that audience.

Bluebeard
30/10/2008, 9:47 AM
Very good article there from O'Toole - haven't seen the Tiernan thing, but I heard the Ross & Brand thing, and found it deplorable. Brand at least has behaved with some humilty and I hope he has learned from it. Ross, well, he behaved as one would expect the big and more aware kid who goads on the innocent to mischief.

It certainly should not be front page headline news, particularly at the moment, but then it is more news worthy, as an introduction to the question of what is the state of our society, what are are mores, etc., than someone on Strictly Come Dancing had an affair with a stripper, or whatever normally graces the front covers of tabs.

Dodge
30/10/2008, 9:49 AM
The fact that British politicians were tabling parliamentary motions on this astonished me. And I'm not easily astonished.

I think people are overstating the "70 year old" grandad angle. He's a man of the world, he's not a stereotypical "worked hard all my life" type grandad. I'm not saying he deserved the calls but idiot DJ's all over the world make prank calls every single day. None of them are funny either

I think I read that only two people actually made complaints about the broadcast on the day. The rest came on foot of the Daily Mail (or possibly Mail on Sunday - not sure...) article/headline

anto1208
30/10/2008, 9:51 AM
When I first heard about it I didn’t think much but after listening to the full 11 minutes over 3or4 phone calls I have to say its pretty poor form. I think there is a big difference between slagging someone off that deserves it ( Gary Glitter Paris Hilton etc ) and ringing up and 78 year old man (that has done nothing to court this other than offer to do Brand a favour) and humiliating him on national radio by telling him and every one that was listening that Brand F***ed his grand daughter which is the phrase that was used they didn’t say “slept with” or eluded to it, they said F***ed and then had a great big laugh about it.

Of course the tabloids jumped all over it and made it even worse letting even more people know about it and humiliating him even further.

Brand has now quit the BBC like a spoilt little brat he will easily get a job with channel 4 or most likely head to Holly wood. Ross I think will take the suspension and leave it at that i feel, at least he gave a proper apology and it should be left at that.

As for Tommy I saw the late late show and was actually sweating with embarrassment for the 2 of them Tommy did the normal ill do most of my DVD as an interview and Jerry Ryan just didn’t know what to do it was pain full TV did nt find anything offensive about what he said and the difference between what Tommy does and what Brand/Ross did is that Tommy’s jokes are general jokes about immigrants travellers disabled people he doesn’t single out one innocent person to make a mockery of but I really wish he would just go on the late late and have a chat not start doing his bots from the DVD. Since his 2nd DVD he has just gone down hill fast seems to just scream and make noises rather than tell jokes or stories now.

Macy
30/10/2008, 9:53 AM
I think it was done in poor taste. However, the tories are clearly using it to shift focus away from themselves, and onto the BBC, who they hate. It's easy when it's someone like Ross, with the contract that he has. And everyone likes seeing an arrogant tosser getting taken down (whether we like to admit or not).

As for the UK coverage, that's fair enough. What I was shocked to see was that it was high on the RTE news.

Pauro 76
30/10/2008, 10:01 AM
It's a bit mad seeing a member of the 'Satanic Sluts Dance Troupe' taking the moral high ground. Ross used to be hilarious until he got that £18 million contract, then he became a Hollywood 'luvvie', sucking up to the likes of Ricky Gervais etc....

jebus
30/10/2008, 10:22 AM
It was poor form from Ross and Brand, but I love the way the Beeb shifted blame straight on to Brand and Ross and didn't take their share for putting the segment out in the first place. I get the Russell Brand podcast (genuinely think it's one of the better ones on the internet)and there's a message telling you it's prerecorded before each one. So the BBC knew the content (or at least should have known) and decided to air it anyway.

If I were Brand I'd have quit over the suspension too to be honest, the BBC just seem to be happy the lynch mob that are the Daily Mail readers didn't turn their sights on them. Nothing will happen over Ross, he's on too big a contract and this will all blow over in two weeks

passinginterest
30/10/2008, 12:33 PM
So the BBC knew the content (or at least should have known) and decided to air it anyway.

That's a fact that has somehow been overlooked. It was pre-recorded and given the go-ahead by senior officials in the BBC, none of whom have resigned from what I've heard. Not only that but they were also informed of the original complaints, before it became national news, and again took no action. In a way it smacks of giving in to a mob mentality. If they felt it was OK why not come out and defend their decision rather than allow Brand and Ross take all the flack? It's hard to believe nobody though it might cause a bit of controversy when they listened to it. It's only going to help the career of Brand and Ms Baillie, the only one who might suffer a little is Ross.

gustavo
30/10/2008, 12:40 PM
Brand has now quit the BBC like a spoilt little brat he will easily get a job with channel 4 or most likely head to Holly wood. Ross I think will take the suspension and leave it at that i feel, at least he gave a proper apology and it should be left at that.

Brand also gave a full apology

jinxy lilywhite
30/10/2008, 1:11 PM
Pretty tasteless in my opinion.
The crux of the wholething was "having sex with your granddaughter" who when I heard I immediately thought of a 7-14 year old.
Saw her on TV last night and phew what a honey

noby
30/10/2008, 1:57 PM
On TV lastnight. In the Sun today. Selling her soul to Clifford, going into details of her 'encounter' with Brand. Another C-list wannabe.
Much-a-do about not very much really, but shows how the tabloids can make a campaign out of nothing. At least Sachs has stayed dignified throughout.
Hopefully Friday night with Jonathan Ross will be replaced with the complete series of Fawlty Towers tomorrow night.

bennocelt
30/10/2008, 2:24 PM
It wasnt even funny
Said on ITV news today that Ross gets 16,000 Sterling a day - could that be correct?
(and i thought RTe were bad!!!)

noby
30/10/2008, 2:25 PM
Sounds about right. £18M three year contract.

NeilMcD
30/10/2008, 4:25 PM
"Mocking Travellers and immigrants is unfunny because it is merely dressing up as comedy the tired and stupid truisms that you can hear from a taxi driver any time your luck is out."

A bit of a generalisation of taxi drivers there Fintan. Those in glass houses.

NeilMcD
30/10/2008, 4:28 PM
When I first heard about it I didn’t think much but after listening to the full 11 minutes over 3or4 phone calls I have to say its pretty poor form. I think there is a big difference between slagging someone off that deserves it ( Gary Glitter Paris Hilton etc ) and ringing up and 78 year old man (that has done nothing to court this other than offer to do Brand a favour) and humiliating him on national radio by telling him and every one that was listening that Brand F***ed his grand daughter which is the phrase that was used they didn’t say “slept with” or eluded to it, they said F***ed and then had a great big laugh about it.

Of course the tabloids jumped all over it and made it even worse letting even more people know about it and humiliating him even further.

As for Tommy I saw the late late show and was actually sweating with embarrassment for the 2 of them Tommy did the normal ill do most of my DVD as an interview and Jerry Ryan just didn’t know what to do it was pain full TV did nt find anything offensive about what he said and the difference between what Tommy does and what Brand/Ross did is that Tommy’s jokes are general jokes about immigrants travellers disabled people he doesn’t single out one innocent person to make a mockery of but I really wish he would just go on the late late and have a chat not start doing his bots from the DVD. Since his 2nd DVD he has just gone down hill fast seems to just scream and make noises rather than tell jokes or stories now.

Is he not there to sell his product and he feels the best way to sell his product is to perform his set. I hate when audience members get annoyed with a comedian for tealling a joke that they have seen them perform before on TV. Do they think that all comedians just make stuff up as they go along. The trick is to have it rehearsed to the nth degree and to make it seem like its impromtu.

pete
30/10/2008, 4:59 PM
Yawn. I read about half the transcript before I got bored.

Blown out of all proportion. 2 complaints the day after this aired but now something like 28,000. Hilarious that the Daily Mail "broke this" when I would guess not a single Daily Mail reader has ever listened to the Russell Brand radio show. As mentioned above it was in poor taste but he was not a random 78 year old. Is the continued mentioned of him being 78 years old not ageist? Also funny the name of his group & the fact she did actually have sex with Brand. Fairly obvious this is being used as an excuse to have a go at the BBC.

Not a chance Ross will be sacked as ITV or Ch4 would sign him tomorrow. I suspect the Producers will be sacked as the other media need a head on a stake.

jebus
30/10/2008, 5:09 PM
Radio 2 boss has quit as well :rolleyes:

****ing hell the baying mob actually works

oscar
30/10/2008, 5:30 PM
a storm in a tea cup

superfrank
30/10/2008, 5:38 PM
Anything that damages Russell Brand's "reputation" is good for me.

Can't stand him and if this keeps him off the telly, then I'm happy.

This is no scandal, imo, but like anytime Dunphy opens his mouth, people are going to yak about it.

centre mid
30/10/2008, 6:00 PM
A non-story really, when I heard about it first I thought they had said that he had slept with his own grand daughter. The fact that Brand did sleep with her makes it laughable, so what if he tells everyone over the airwaves about it, should everyone thats has had a kiss and tell story about them get their grand parents to complain (although I havent seen Sachs complain about it yet).

She has had her 15 mins of fame, the state of the world economy worries me more.

Ross can be a bit of a tool alright but I do enjoy his friday show, always has good guests. I could take or leave Brand.

mypost
30/10/2008, 6:19 PM
Had to laugh when I heard it was making PMQ's. :D There's only the credit crunch, recession and so on to compete with it.

The real blame lies here with the BBC programme editor for letting the show go out with the remarks included. Ross and Brand shouldn't have made it, but it's the Editor's job to cut it out of a recorded show. It's him who should be sacked instead.

Never liked Ross though, and don't find him funny. I used to love "They think it's all over", until he replaced Hurst. Stopped watching after that. :(

hula4
30/10/2008, 7:47 PM
Anything that damages Russell Brand's "reputation" is good for me.

Can't stand him and if this keeps him off the telly, then I'm happy.

This is no scandal, imo, but like anytime Dunphy opens his mouth, people are going to yak about it.

could not agree more, find brand to be incredibly irritating, and i would laugh at anything but i just do not "get" his type of humour

micls
30/10/2008, 7:57 PM
A non-story really, when I heard about it first I thought they had said that he had slept with his own grand daughter. The fact that Brand did sleep with her makes it laughable, so what if he tells everyone over the airwaves about it, should everyone thats has had a kiss and tell story about them get their grand parents to complain (although I havent seen Sachs complain about it yet).

Think you missed the point

Its not that he said it on air imo, but that he rang her grandfather 3 times going on about what he'd do/had done to his granddaughter.....and played that on air.

No grandparent/parent should have to put up with that imo. It was crass and in poor taste.

Is too much of a big deal being made? Yes of course...but thats the world we live in

Bluebeard
30/10/2008, 9:06 PM
For those among you who dislike the elder goon, here's something from 1992 or so...
KOsRBeyJg7k

BohsPartisan
30/10/2008, 9:10 PM
Offensive material can be funny in the right hands. Brand and Ross are not the right hands. I think its funny that I love Tommy Tiernan yet may be perceived as a doo gooder liberal type at times. Leving a voicemail on someones machine saying I shagged your granddaughter is juvenile in the extreme and something I wouldn't have even found funny when I was 16 - and I'll be the first to admit that my sense of humour can be juvenile at times.

cheifo
31/10/2008, 12:11 AM
Tommy Tiernan ranges from average to very annoying IMO.That smug look on his face is insufferable.
Like a lot of comedians he wants to be edgy like Bill Hicks but there is more to doing this than being controversial just for the sake of it.

A lot of this stuff was a reaction to political correctness but the problem is there all at it and its difficult to find any of them interesting or funny anymore.
Anything is allowed so there is nothing novel about a comedian crossing the line.

Now that the Genie is out of the bottle will it be possible for audiences to laugh at material that isn't "edgy".No swearing, crude sexual refernece or jokes about minorities? In fairness Peter Kay can be funny and still keep inside fairly tight peramiters.

BTW I don't find any material offensive but wouldn't mind somebody with a fresh approach.
If not there is always Laurel and Hardy pushing a piano up a stairs.

noby
31/10/2008, 9:10 AM
Cripes, the Daily Mail are on a roll
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081966/Even-Russell-Brand-row-raged-BBC-comedians-insulting-Queen.html)

hula4
31/10/2008, 9:19 AM
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081966/Even-Russell-Brand-row-raged-BBC-comedians-insulting-Queen.html)

that joke from boyle was funny, i personally think you should get away with saying pretty much anything if its funny!! and i dont think the brand ross behaviour was funny and it seems a lot of people agree

since when have the daily mail decided they are going to be the moral police?

noby
31/10/2008, 9:21 AM
Funny, and ten months old. It was on a repeat the other night.

Pauro 76
31/10/2008, 9:25 AM
Hate the Daily Mail. That Frankie Boyle remark was funny. Are the Daily Mail just going to clean up TV now?

Macy
31/10/2008, 9:30 AM
Hate the Daily Mail. That Frankie Boyle remark was funny. Are the Daily Mail just going to clean up TV now?
Well they have been trying for 50 years...

NeilMcD
31/10/2008, 9:44 AM
How out of touch is the Daily Mail, that is at least 10 months old.

Schumi
31/10/2008, 9:57 AM
David Davies, Tory MP for Monmouth, urged BBC viewers who were offended to hold off from paying their licence fee until the last possible moment in protest. LOL. Is that the worst protest ever?

jmurphyc
31/10/2008, 10:19 AM
Hmm, the Daily Mail making a fuss over the BBC not being PC enough. Yet there's plenty of articles on their front page which I'm sure are far worse than the BBC's mishap. What a useless paper. Here's something from the front page of their website describing, in juxtaposition to their views on Ross/Brand, PC "gone mad":

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081859/It-isnt-crime-Irish-leprechauns-Court-clears-teenager-racially-harassing-neighbour.html

I found it pretty hilarious. On a side note, my grandmother keeps on buying the Irish Daily Mail because it's cheap despite my protests. Unfortunately, it's people like her who will keep this paper's business thriving.

Ash
31/10/2008, 10:20 AM
Couldnt believe all the attention this is getting and people getting upset over it all.

Cant really understand people getting upset for or on behalf of Andrew Sachs.
Yeah it was a stupid thing to do from the 2 lads ... and it was even worse for
the BBC to broadcast it. But hey, it was done and its now over.
Understandably Andrew Sachs and his grand daughter are to be upset over it
so just leave it to them.

Move along people, nothing to see here.

As for the protest ... Leave it to the last minute to pay your licence!!!!
Isnt this what happens normally?

Dodge
31/10/2008, 10:45 AM
Funnilly enough sachs accepted their apologies a couple of days ago and spoke how he hoped that would end it.

OneRedArmy
31/10/2008, 11:22 AM
Funnilly enough sachs accepted their apologies a couple of days ago and spoke how he hoped that would end it.Unfortunately the grand daughter clearly didn't share the same sentiment as hiring Max Clifford is rarely the best way to make things go away.

Dodge
31/10/2008, 11:45 AM
Sorry, by "sachs", I meant Andrew.

The grandaughter is, of course, a publicity seeking slut

pete
31/10/2008, 12:20 PM
The grandaughter is, of course, a publicity seeking slut

Don't you mean Satanic Slut (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1877990.ece) ? :p

Sad state of affairs that this was the lead story on Sky News yesterday evening.

If we were to ban or sack people based on everything that "offends" the Daily Mail we would have a very strange world.

thischarmingman
31/10/2008, 12:36 PM
It's nice that having castigated Ross and Brand for their insensitivity, The Sun has carried on reporting sensitively, and respectfully.:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1877990.ece

Wolfie
31/10/2008, 12:53 PM
Apparently, Brand only discovered the Satanic Slut was related to Sachs when an old episode of Fawlty Towers appeared on the TV and she blurted out that they were related.

While in flagrente Brand then began roaring "I learn it from a book, I learn it from a book!!!!"

Which I can't help finding mildly amusing. :D

cheifo
31/10/2008, 12:58 PM
What I have learned from the whole thing is that "Satantic Sluts" have feelings too.

Newryrep
31/10/2008, 1:00 PM
Pretty much a non story (they should of apologied to A Sachs eariler)given the number of original complaints but given life by the various vested interests whose real agenda is doing down the BBC , Labour Party, Conservatives Daily Mail, The Scum, Sky News, Talk****e etc.

Ross is overated, Brand is about s funny as toothache but with the combined shower of bankers listed above against them I know which side I would be on.

Bluebeard
31/10/2008, 1:01 PM
Apparently, Brand only discovered the Satanic Slut was related to Sachs when an old episode of Fawlty Towers appeared on the TV and she blurted out that they were related.

While in flagrente Brand then began roaring "I learn it from a book, I learn it from a book!!!!"

Which I can't help finding mildly amusing. :D

I heard it was "Que" he shouted, which isn't that funny:mad:.

"I learn it from a book" on the other hand, is quite amusing:D.

Wolfie
31/10/2008, 1:05 PM
:D

"I learn it from a book" on the other hand, is quite amusing:D.

Yeah - a direct quote attributed to the Satanic Slut herself in yesterdays tabloids.

"I learn it from a booooook!!!!" :D

Angus
31/10/2008, 1:32 PM
These idiots are not funny - the end

They have never been - this is just a natural extension of their lack of funnyness

TonyD
13/11/2008, 9:19 PM

Wow, wait until they hear his gag about Princess Di, land mines and shagging. :D

Frankie Boyle is brilliant. :D Russell Brand can be quite funny at times. He's pretty good at sending up the hypocrisy of the gutter press, fittingly enough.