PDA

View Full Version : Ice Hockey

Dodge
17/10/2003, 11:08 AM
Going to New York at the start of December, I decided to look into what sports are availble. As our Hotel is 10 minutes from Madison Square Garden I've got tickets for the New York Rangers v Tamba Bay Lightning game on Sunday evening.

Anyone ever been to Ice Hockey game in the US or been to MSG?

Just wondering...

joeSoap
17/10/2003, 11:21 AM
Been to a boxing match in 'The Garden' as it's known to the yanks. Thomas Hearns v Sugar Ray Leonard in 1989, and Champions League Final in Barcelona 1999 excepted, it was the most amazing sporting event I've ever been to.

pete
17/10/2003, 12:12 PM
Not been myself but been told ice hockey bar far the best Yank Sport. Something to do with drink, fights & being close to action :D

joeSoap
17/10/2003, 12:13 PM
:D :D :D :D

Dodge
17/10/2003, 12:34 PM
Not, that close to action, I'm in the cheap (ha!) seats in the back.

Have a look at http://www.thegarden.com/seating.html to see the view from our seats. We're in Block 419 (BTW That is the best use of Flash I've seen on the net)

tiktok
17/10/2003, 1:20 PM
I've had the experience, Ice Hockey is great fun, been to a few games, still don't know what's actually going on, but it's fast, loads of rough and tumble, in the US fighting is allowed (or at least tolerated) once the sticks are dropped and gloves, helmets are removed. each side has an 'enforcer' who'c there solely to hurt the star opposition player. fans are nuts too, right on top of the ice and the players boxes (where fights between fans and players can erupt too), great stuff.

By all accounts MSG for a Rangers game has a great atmosphere.

A face
17/10/2003, 5:36 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
(BTW That is the best use of Flash I've seen on the net)

Your not kidding either .... slick !!

shedite
17/10/2003, 10:22 PM
Ice hockey is class. Never been to a game in the States but have been to a fw around europe alright. Rent a copy of NHL for playstation for a wekend and yu'll get to know the rules fairly quickly.

How many people fit in the garden for a hockey game?

niamh
23/10/2003, 1:47 AM
Been to a game in Canada. No sport like it except hurling! Gonna catch a few Cardiff Devils games hopefully in the near future too.

James
23/10/2003, 8:26 AM
Originally posted by Dodge
Going to New York at the start of December, I decided to look into what sports are availble. As our Hotel is 10 minutes from Madison Square Garden I've got tickets for the New York Rangers v Tamba Bay Lightning game on Sunday evening.

Anyone ever been to Ice Hockey game in the US or been to MSG?

Just wondering...

yeah deadly.. you'll love it dodge, the garden is class :)
and ice hockely prob be v similar to watching SPA play in nov/dec in syringicore :D

Dodge
23/10/2003, 8:43 AM
Originally posted by James
yeah deadly.. you'll love it dodge, the garden is class :)
and ice hockely prob be v similar to watching SPA play in nov/dec in syringicore :D
Err...

James
23/10/2003, 8:57 AM
frozen pitches, lots of fights, not a whole pile of skill on display

you getting the picture yet :)

Dodge
23/10/2003, 9:23 AM
Oh, I thought you meant in a drunken haze in freefall after a heroic cup victory...

And yeah I knew what you meant first time round...

max power
23/10/2003, 9:35 AM
yeah dodge, seen the rangers on the garden a few weeks ago, it was only a pre season gaem but the atmosphere was electric, long but enjoyable, buy your tickets on ticketmaster.com and you can collect them at the arena.

the beer and food is a good plus, go for tier 3 or below, tier 4 is too far away

Dodge
23/10/2003, 10:39 AM
nah, I'm in tier 4 with the hardcore...

max power
23/10/2003, 10:41 AM
ah the cheap seats, if you go on to the ticketmaster site you can the view of the arena floor from your section, just put the cursor over the section and the picture will pop up, get there early and soak up the atmosphere with a hot dog and beer, a good night will be had !!