PDA

View Full Version : First Division Season Eleven

CraftyToePoke
28/10/2008, 2:59 PM
Is there such a thing? and who is likely to make it this year?

Longfordian
28/10/2008, 3:05 PM
Don't know if there is such a thing but there wouldn't be too many of ours in contention except maybe Gallagher in goals.

The Lilywhites
28/10/2008, 3:12 PM
There is one yep. Not sure when it comes out.

Paul Shiels should be a cert.

Jofspring
28/10/2008, 3:19 PM
Tommy Barrett has to be in there.

Battery Rover
28/10/2008, 3:32 PM
From Athlone Colm Jinks, Nigel Keady and Ciaran Kelly would be the only ones in contention

passinginterest
28/10/2008, 4:19 PM
I think the PFAI were the only ones to announce a first division team of the season last year. Conor Sinnott was in it for the Youths and would be a good shout again this year.

Black and White
28/10/2008, 6:22 PM
Cassidy, Flano, Crowley and maybe whelehan shoiuld be in it from our lot. I'd go with Holden in goals, Flanagan, Whelehan, Breen, Hedderman, Barrett, Cassidy, Crowley, C. Byrne, Doyle, Sullivan.

Theskinloyal
28/10/2008, 6:36 PM
Hedderman? Don't make me laugh, as someone said about him the other night he runs like he's running down the stairs. He's brutal.

From us Flood, Brennan, Delaney, Rutherford maybe McGill and McCallister too.

Joey Killester
28/10/2008, 6:38 PM
McCabe hasnt played enough in my opinion to be in a team of the season. Id defo have Rutherford in though from Shels, maybe Flood. From the parts of the season I can remeber.

DRDoc
28/10/2008, 7:00 PM
I tell you what - patsy malone of the youths deserves to be in it

He would actually be a contender for first division player of the year

Lamper.sffc
28/10/2008, 7:12 PM
Robbie doyle, Conan Byrne and Colm james from our lot.
Im not too happy about putting Doyle in but cant argue with the amount of goals he has scored.

stann
28/10/2008, 8:53 PM
Nice to see someone mention Breener, but if I was to pick three from our lot, it would be Holden, Clarke and Foley.

So something like this wouldn't be a bad side:
Packie Holden (Wat)
John Flanagan (Dun), Ben Whelehan (Dun), Damien Brennan (Shels), Robbie Clarke (Wat)
Tommy Barrett (Lim), David Cassidy (Dun), Colm James (SF), Michael Foley (Wat)
Conan Byrne (SF), Anto Flood (Shels)
Subs: Nigel Keady (Ath), Patsy Malone (Wex), Paul Shiels (Dun), Mark Rutherford (Shels), Robbie Doyle (SF)

Edit: Feck it, I'll take a chance on no sub keeper to get Malone in there, he has been great also. Deano wouldn't have been happy warming the bench anyway! :D

The Lilywhites
28/10/2008, 9:20 PM
If I was to pick three from our lot, it would be Holden, Clarke and Foley.

Browne, no?

stann
28/10/2008, 9:34 PM
Talent and ability-wise he'd be a cert, but for me he just wasn't quite as good this year as previously. Couple of horrible games, few daft penalties given away etc.. etc.. If I was picking 4 he'd be there alright.

Lim till i die
28/10/2008, 11:02 PM
Tommy Legend
Wayne Colbert
Jason Hughes
Gary Sheehan
Davey Ryan (The small one.)

Would all be there or there abouts from Limerick.

Haven't really seen enough of the other clubs to make a fair comment.

Colin James with Fingal really impressed me alright.

Is Packie Holden really doing that well? :eek:

Lamper.sffc
29/10/2008, 11:09 AM
Colin James with Fingal really impressed me alright.

Colm james is our player of the season in my opinion.
Never seems to have a bad game.

Conan Byrne would have pushed him closer but he had a quiet middle part to the season. He has been flying in our last few games though.

Youths4Ever
29/10/2008, 11:19 AM
to be honest Malone would be our only realistic chance of getting on the team

passinginterest
29/10/2008, 3:51 PM
to be honest Malone would be our only realistic chance of getting on the team

He has been fairly impressive again, still looks very raw at times though. Anto Russell should also be considered, very assured at the back and capable of stepping into midfield too. Johnny Flynn O'Connor was also having a very good season before he got kicked out, he was our second best player in the cup final behind Sinnott. I'd be surprised if Sinnott, Malone and possibly Russell didn't get some sort of offers from other teams this year. Danny Furlong had made a bit of an impression recently too so maybe one of the full time clubs might look at signing him for their reserve sides.

Bunny Kelly
29/10/2008, 5:56 PM
Kennedy

Flanagan Brennan Barrett Crawley

Byrne James Cassidy Foley

Doyle Flood

JC_GUFC
30/10/2008, 1:52 AM
Colm james is our player of the season in my opinion.
Never seems to have a bad game.

He had all of those at United!

Ah to be fair he was being used as a full back for us and looked solid enough but nothing special. Surprised to hear he's been one of your best players this season though...

brianw82
30/10/2008, 2:06 AM
Johnny Flynn O'Connor was also having a very good season before he got kicked out

That guy has the best name in the league. lol Sounds like a total bogger.

oldyouth
30/10/2008, 7:55 AM
That guy has the best name in the league. lol Sounds like a total bogger. No he actually looks like a footballer rather than a bogger who has had a few sticks in the face.
Went to the Gaah. He got suspended from the Youths a few times for going over to the 'the dark side'. Big loss

clownboy
30/10/2008, 9:12 AM
why would he be suspended if Wxford are amatuer?It doesen't make sense.I heard that the expenses beieng paid sown there are bigger than some clubs wage bill in the 1st division.

Lamper.sffc
30/10/2008, 10:07 AM
He had all of those at United!

Ah to be fair he was being used as a full back for us and looked solid enough but nothing special. Surprised to hear he's been one of your best players this season though...

He has been quietly efficient. Good tough player who puts his foot in and can play a little also. has scored some very important goals as well.
Might not be every sporting fans choice but definitely mine and would be in most fans top 3.

Magicme
30/10/2008, 10:13 AM
Do they still have to be playing First Division or could they have transfered to Premier during the window? If they can have moved up Meenan should be in there.

stann
30/10/2008, 11:41 AM
He probably would have been there if he'd stayed put, MM.
As it stands, I'd say, he hasn't played enough in the first to be considered for Team of the Season, through no fault of his own. Same reason Grincell isn't in it, or Sheehan.
That's IMHO of course. :)

oldyouth
30/10/2008, 12:52 PM
why would he be suspended if Wxford are amatuer?It doesen't make sense.I heard that the expenses beieng paid sown there are bigger than some clubs wage bill in the 1st division.
He was suspended as I believe it is a club rule that you cannot play 2 sports during the season. I agree with that as maintaining fitness is as much about resting in between matches/training as it is about physical activity. Pick 1 sport (during the season) and stick with it, whichever one it is.

As for the expenses bit, not a chance.

Black and White
30/10/2008, 5:25 PM
Ok ok ill change my team...ill replace hedderman with limericks Walsh!!He really impressed me at Oriel back in July or August or whenever we played ye!!He was at the centre of all your attacks!Just couldnt think of his name!!lol

ForzaWexford
30/10/2008, 6:05 PM
I heard that the expenses beieng paid sown there are bigger than some clubs wage bill in the 1st division.

As for the expenses bit, not a chance.

Limerick's wage bill less than €2k a week. Think our lads get a few quid for turning up at training, a few more for being in the squad and a few more if we win. That's how it used to be at the start anyway. Can't see it being much less than €1500. Especially the odd time we win!

Don't see anything wrong with that though, even if we are amateur. Averaging 700 or 800 at games at €10, €5, and €0 for U12's. Plenty of money coming in from the Astroturf pitches too.

Edit: And yeah Patsy Malone in with a shout for team of the year maybe. Think Paul Rossiter has been outstnading for us of late too but couldn't have him on the team.

Jofspring
30/10/2008, 7:35 PM
Ok ok ill change my team...ill replace hedderman with limericks Walsh!!He really impressed me at Oriel back in July or August or whenever we played ye!!He was at the centre of all your attacks!Just couldnt think of his name!!lol

Walsh has been a fantastic player since he signed. His attacking play is excellent, great first touch and plenty of skills to beat his man. Has been brilliant in his last few games especially.

Buile Shuibhne
30/10/2008, 7:43 PM
Danaher

gael353
31/10/2008, 2:08 AM
Danaher

Thank you, by far the best central defender in the first division and should be first on the teamsheet.

Jofspring
04/11/2008, 12:01 AM
A few more Limerick players would have been in contention if they had played since the start of the season.