PDA

View Full Version : New Club Crest

srfc1928
27/10/2008, 5:36 PM
I was just checking out a new website called myteam.ie.
it was mentioned in a previous thread that it provides club merchandise etc.
But more interestingly it states in the Rovers section that
"New club crest coming soon. All products will feature new crest"
http://www.myteam.ie/sligo-rovers.htm

Anyone know anything about this.

Probably a good thing however
AFAIK we dont own the rights to our curent crest :eek:

Sean South
27/10/2008, 6:42 PM
I hope not unless we're going back to the original one from the 90s. When we changed our crest in 95 to our current one it was because of copyright issues as far as I know

sligo1
27/10/2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry for being stupid here but would Sligo Rovers not own the rights to their own crest?

Guts&Glory
27/10/2008, 10:59 PM
Sorry for being stupid here but would Sligo Rovers not own the rights to their own crest?

SeanSouth is correct the change in the 90's was because we wanted to copyright that crest with the bull being added in later years.

You dont automatically own the rights to any design unless you make it a registered trademark or patent. You can argue intellectual property if matter in question (crest) is unregistered and somebody tries to sell merhcandise with your crest on it without your permission but that is usually a costly court case to prove you are right.

In fairness its not like there will be millions of Rovers jerseys in Asia on the black market with out copyrighted crest!!

sligo1
27/10/2008, 11:06 PM
Hi Guts & Glory,

Was our original crest the same as the one we have now except the addition of the bull?

srfc1928
27/10/2008, 11:58 PM
The current crest was brought out in 93/94
The original one is the centre piece of todays
It has been modified twice
Firstly adding the ring around it with Sligo Rovers Football Club
Then the bull was added at a later date
The reason AFAIK we brought out a new crest originaly was more to do with the fact that the one we were using was the property of Sligo Borough Council and they forbid any company etc using their crest without permission (ie payment)they were enforcing their copywrite.
I also doubt the reason we are changing from using the current crest is because of the asian black market:D
But on a more day to day level, say for instance we wanted to change kit supplier, we could be prevented from using the one we have now because we dont own it and so we would have to come up with a new one anyways
This probably is the case with this new merchandise.

sligo1
28/10/2008, 7:06 AM
Hi srfc1928,
I'm still a bit confused-who owns the current crest if Sligo Rovers dont own it?
Also what good is the other crest to the Borough Council?

redobit
28/10/2008, 10:13 AM
Hi srfc1928,
I'm still a bit confused-who owns the current crest if Sligo Rovers dont own it?
Also what good is the other crest to the Borough Council?

Correct if wrong, but i have heard its Nicky Brujos, sometin to do with the addition of the bull on the crest.

sligo1
28/10/2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Redobit,

Why would he own it-I would have thought that the Club would have given him permission to use it on their jerseys while he was supplying them.If somebody else was to come in and supply them,then the Club would give the new people permission to use the crest.Jako then would have no use for the crest.It all seems a bit odd.

Ash
28/10/2008, 10:57 AM
Perhaps Nicky suggested the introduction of the bull, Rovers agreed, the new
crest was used by Sligo for all their gear and then Nicky patented the new
crest which included his bull, therefore making it his crest.

Wasnt he the Club Marketing Manager or something at one stage?

Anyways, its not as if this is the 1st time there has been issue with marketing
and the crest for Rovers!

Only1Rovers
28/10/2008, 11:32 AM
I think a number of clubs in the league are being re-branded (this may not be the right term) or re-launched with stronger branding may be more accurate.

I'm guessing the FAI are behind it as I doubt SRFC would have a branding budget.

Some of you'll remember the posters dotted around the county a number of months ago with a slogan suggesting a change is on the way. On the posters was a sneak peak of the new Rovers new crest. It was a close up of it... you could only see some large letters.. an "S" and an "R" but it was obvious it was rovers related.

Ash
28/10/2008, 11:35 AM
It was a close up of it... you could only see some large letters.. an "S" and an "R" but it was obvious it was rovers related.

Maybe its a new team for the League ... Sporting Riverstown

sligoman
28/10/2008, 11:41 AM
On the posters was a sneak peak of the new Rovers new crest. It was a close up of it... you could only see some large letters.. an "S" and an "R" but it was obvious it was rovers related.This is the poster:
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1930/srfczb5.png

I doubt that's a close up of the new crest, just an advertisement about it. It's not even red background.

Only1Rovers
28/10/2008, 11:44 AM
I'd guess that that will be the font used......

thesilverfox
28/10/2008, 11:54 AM
Some of you'll remember the posters dotted around the county a number of months ago with a slogan suggesting a change is on the way. On the posters was a sneak peak of the new Rovers new crest. It was a close up of it... you could only see some large letters.. an "S" and an "R" but it was obvious it was rovers related.

When was this, because all this rebranding is news to me, never saw the posters let alone hear anybody on about it.

Anybody else in the dark about this?:confused:

Guts&Glory
28/10/2008, 12:29 PM
Dermot B any news or insight on the crest side of things ?

Only1Rovers
28/10/2008, 12:39 PM
When was this, because all this rebranding is news to me, never saw the posters let alone hear anybody on about it.

Anybody else in the dark about this?:confused:

See below

This is the poster:
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1930/srfczb5.png

I doubt that's a close up of the new crest, just an advertisement about it. It's not even red background.

Whoever is behind this is using soft marketing where they would create a small bit of interest and hope word of mouth will help create a frenzy of interest. Alas this has failed it would seem.

There was no secondary advertising punch following the placing of the above posters to ensure the campaign would take off.

D Brannigan
28/10/2008, 7:43 PM
Dermot B any news or insight on the crest side of things ?
????????????????????????

redobit
29/10/2008, 9:01 AM
????????????????????????

In all fairness. I taught the role of a PRO is about communication.

Rovers Maniac
29/10/2008, 9:14 AM
In all fairness. I taught the role of a PRO is about communication.

I think what Dermot is saying to be fair is it is news to the club that they are changing their crest as they had no plans to do so.

redobit
29/10/2008, 10:58 AM
I think what Dermot is saying to be fair is it is news to the club that they are changing their crest as they had no plans to do so.

Are u talking for Dermot

Red Star
02/11/2008, 10:20 AM
The current crest was brought out in 93/94
The original one is the centre piece of todays
It has been modified twice
Firstly adding the ring around it with Sligo Rovers Football Club
Then the bull was added at a later date

Correct if wrong, but i have heard its Nicky Brujos, sometin to do with the addition of the bull on the crest

The ring and the bull were added at the same time if you look back at your old programs I think 1995 or '96 long before Jako came on the scene

avvenalaf
02/11/2008, 6:38 PM
The ring and the bull were added in honour of Sean Connor's engagement and what was coming out of his mouth at the time.

srfc1928
02/11/2008, 6:51 PM
The ring and the bull were added in honour of Sean Connor's engagement and what was coming out of his mouth at the time.
:D:D:D

Rovers Maniac
02/11/2008, 6:58 PM

Classic :D

Only1Rovers
04/11/2008, 12:49 PM
The ring and the bull were added at the same time if you look back at your old programs I think 1995 or '96 long before Jako came on the scene

As far as I remeber Nicky was commercial managaer with the Club prior to his roll with Jako.

LondonRover
04/11/2008, 3:53 PM
As far as I remeber Nicky was commercial managaer with the Club prior to his roll with Jako.

I think that you're right on this (if not the spelling :D ) as I recall getting some stuff sent over to me in London by the club in 94 (following the treble) and it was Nicky who signed it off as commercial manaher or summat like that...

avvenalaf
04/11/2008, 4:45 PM
I think that you're right on this (if not the spelling :D ) as I recall getting some stuff sent over to me in London by the club in 94 (following the treble) and it was Nicky who signed it off as commercial manaher or summat like that...

YOU are querying spelling?

LondonRover
05/11/2008, 7:51 AM
Damn! I just threw a stone through my glass house!!! :(

Redkenrover
10/11/2008, 9:17 PM

So can anyone explain why this company (up as far as today) are still advertising that Sligo Rovers have a new crest coming soon? If the club dont know anything about it surely they should contact Burex Mfg – the company behind the project - and clarify its position. Was going to buy some SRFC stuff for my young lad for Christmas but think I might hold off.

Rory H
11/11/2008, 1:58 PM
There will not be a new crest.