PDA

View Full Version : Clash of the fans longford 2008

Massop 10
24/10/2008, 5:51 PM
As some of you already know Longford Town / Section O are taking on Athlone Town / iSTAT in a game that I have called "CLASH OF THE FANS". It is taking place in FLANCARE PARK on 2nd of November (sunday) with a 3pm kick-off. It is in aid of AWARE - a charity that helps people suffering from depression and people who are suicidal. It is only 10 euro admission and kids (u-12) are free. I hope that you will all support this great charity by coming along to cheer us on (or laugh at us, i don't care once you pay 10 quid). The two teams are ready as is the referee ! There is a cup for the winning team that was kindly sponsored by BEGLEYS PUB in KILLOE.I also have to thank LONGFORD TOWN F.C. for all the support they have given me and the use of Flancare Park. See you on the 2nd :)

sligoman
24/10/2008, 6:04 PM
Is Martinho lining out for De Town?

Maz
24/10/2008, 7:54 PM
Good old Begleys!!

Excellent idea and a great cause, really sorry I'm going to miss it but will put something towards the collection

Martinho II
24/10/2008, 9:20 PM
Is Martinho lining out for De Town?

yes i am as a defender... why is my fan club coming out??:D

Massop 10
24/10/2008, 9:21 PM
Thanks Maz, i'm organising a night in Begleys for a few weeks time aswell for the same cause so hopfully you might get to it, it'll be good to catch up :)
Yes Sligoman, I have him in Center Midfield. He doesn't understand how the numbers work. HE IS IN MIDFIELD ! I hope a few of ye may venture down this way for the laugh !

Martinho II
24/10/2008, 9:35 PM
Thanks Maz, i'm organising a night in Begleys for a few weeks time aswell for the same cause so hopfully you might get to it, it'll be good to catch up :)
Yes Sligoman, I have him in Center Midfield. He doesn't understand how the numbers work. HE IS IN MIDFIELD ! I hope a few of ye may venture down this way for the laugh !

sorry man for the mix up thats great news about me bein in midfield...:D

Keen2win
25/10/2008, 10:08 AM
Do ye have enough players?

Pauro 76
25/10/2008, 10:19 AM
Well done Adrian on the organisation of the event, sounds like a great laugh, sorry I cant be there. Any chance of any pics being taken of the event?

Massop 10
25/10/2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks Pauro, there should be a few good photos of it so you'll get a look at how it goes ! It's a shame you can't be there but you'll get your chance again hopfully.
Yeah I have a squad of 18 but please come along and support us (and bring as many as you can) cos we might need it and its for a good cause !

Pauro 76
25/10/2008, 3:57 PM
Thanks Pauro, there should be a few good photos of it so you'll get a look at how it goes ! It's a shame you can't be there but you'll get your chance again hopfully.
Yeah I have a squad of 18 but please come along and support us (and bring as many as you can) cos we might need it and its for a good cause !

If it happens again, I'll try and make a weekend out of it! If you need a donation, I'll happily throw ya a tenner next time Im home. Best of luck with it mate! :)

Ash
26/10/2008, 7:35 PM
The iSTAT squad is in prime condition ... but not necessarily for football :p

Like the Section O squad we have a squad of about 18 "players" signed up
so hopefully we'll have a good turn out and bag our 2nd Cup of the season having
already claimed the eircom League Supporters Cup earlier in the year.

Please note ... our squad is assembled, not on ability, but availability :D

RonnieB
26/10/2008, 9:50 PM
Clash of the bellies.

John83
27/10/2008, 11:07 AM
Please note ... our squad is assembled, not on ability, but availability :D
Good luck to both teams.

ltfc_2004
28/10/2008, 11:31 AM
so whats the Longford squad looking like at the moment ?

names and positions Adrian, need some slagging material ..........

Ash
28/10/2008, 11:34 AM
so whats the Longford squad looking like at the moment ?

names and positions Adrian, need some slagging material ..........

We will be lining out with the Headless Chicken formation :D
If we cant figure out our tactics, what hope do Longford have :p

Battery Rover
28/10/2008, 11:39 AM
Not 100% sure yet but might be able to make it over with the video camera

Martinho II
28/10/2008, 5:03 PM
Not 100% sure yet but might be able to make it over with the video camera

and hopefully massop10 can reinact his miss from a few weeks ago....:D just watched the dvd in full last nite. massop10 was even interviewed by denis o brien and spoke very well...

massop10 you are truly a legend!!:p

Longfordian
28/10/2008, 8:30 PM
Good write up about the game in the Longford News today. Hope it goes well for everyone, hopefully I'll make it out at some stage during proceedings.

Salmon Coloured
29/10/2008, 8:20 PM
Gutted I cant make this as im on holidays. Hopefully this wont be the last match for charity that fans can play in. Best of luck to all involved.

Martinho II
29/10/2008, 8:45 PM
i will be collectin the full town kit off our kitman friday nite aarons brother frank.. was politely told they all have to be returned.. wonder will athlone play in their home jerseys?? whats the colour ash??:confused:

RonnieB
29/10/2008, 9:49 PM
If I survive two nights of Motorhead I will try get down for a look.

Ash
30/10/2008, 1:49 PM
i will be collectin the full town kit off our kitman friday nite aarons brother frank.. was politely told they all have to be returned.. wonder will athlone play in their home jerseys?? whats the colour ash??:confused:

We will be playing in a blue kit (with yellow trim) which has been kindly donated
to us for the day by a local team.

Was going to look for the proper Town kit but we have Wexford at home on the evening before so its in use.

Plus, with the dodgy referee lined up (:p) didnt want any clash with the black stripes!

Martinho II
30/10/2008, 8:41 PM
We will be playing in a blue kit (with yellow trim) which has been kindly donated
to us for the day by a local team.

Was going to look for the proper Town kit but we have Wexford at home on the evening before so its in use.

Plus, with the dodgy referee lined up (:p) didnt want any clash with the black stripes!

at least its a similar colour to the home kit for ye.. except for black of course..

Massop 10
30/10/2008, 9:30 PM
It is great to see how great a response this game is getting and thanks to everybody for the good wishes and donations so far but unfortunatly the club, or rather some people within the club are either trying to make sure I look like a FOOL or just don't want this to succeed as the money is not going to the club (even though i suggested that they open the shop and bar and get money for the club that way !). I say this as i have just been informed (at 9:30pm on the thursday before the game) that kick-off for our "clash of the fans" must now be at 4pm as the under 20's are playing at 2pm and take preferance over us. This even though I asked in writing 2 and a half months ago if I could use the pitch and was told that there was no other games on that sunday. One month or so ago the under 20 fixtures came out and only at 9:30 before the game do I get told this !!! I am deeply annoyed about this as i have it advertised in the local media and have posters all around the county and I have also organised that the people from AWARE come down on their day off for it to recieve the money.
Unfortunatly now we have to change outside the dressing rooms and don't get a warm up or anything and the whole sence of occasion is taken from us !
I have always been the first to stand up for the club and always tried to help in everyway i could even as far as since I have been out of work, on more than one occasion I spent the last e15 I had in my pocket. Well I have to say that after they begrudgingly let us play on sunday if I can't afford to go to Flancare Park I just won't go. I will only be made look like a FOOL ONCE by anybody or any club ! As the saying goes "ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY". Also the next time I organise anything I will go somewhere that the people appriciate you !

RonnieB
30/10/2008, 9:33 PM
Massop, one should not be surprised at the ****e that goes on in this club.

Massop 10
30/10/2008, 9:39 PM
Oh I'm not surprised, just annoyed with myself that i trusted them so much !!!!!

Longfordian
30/10/2008, 9:50 PM
That's crap alright. No two ways about it, you've every right to feel hard done by. You should have been told when the fixtures came out if there was a clash and you went through the proper channel of asking permission in writing too. Far too often the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Just to add though that I doubt it would be a deliberate thing because of the money not going to the club, just bad communication within the club.

Keen2win
02/11/2008, 6:15 PM
It was an eventful game;)... Not many turned up though:(

Pauro 76
02/11/2008, 7:33 PM
Who won?

RonnieB
02/11/2008, 7:57 PM
Athlone by the odd goal....

Martinho II
02/11/2008, 9:10 PM
we were very unlucky to lose seven nil...

Ash
02/11/2008, 10:07 PM
A big thank you to all the Longford fans who made this event possible. Obviously it was fantastic for us to put one (or seven!) over on our Midland rivals but the main thing was that a nice amound was raised for AWARE and certainly everyone from our side enjoyed the game and were delighted to take part.
Hope to get a return match organised over in Athlone during off season

Pauro 76
03/11/2008, 8:02 AM
7-0? :eek: What was the LTFC line-up? Well done Athlone. Till next time...

Ash
03/11/2008, 8:16 AM
Despite the scoreline yer keeper had a stormer. Made a unbelievable amount of saves.

And I deny the rumours that Marty and myself made a trip to North Dublin to place a
few bets on Sunday morning ... :p

sorbothegreek
03/11/2008, 9:12 AM
I have to say that was tough going out there yesterday. It was as i think it looked, a football team against a group of lads that met 20 minutes before kick off.
I know that was my first time to attempt to play 90 minutes in about 5 years and i know there was more than me in that boat on our team.
That said and enev taking on board the embarresment of the scoreline it was great to get the chance to play out in Flancare so a big thank you to Adrian for all his work in getting the game on, LTFC for eventually letting us on the pitch, The athlone lads and the ref and linesman. I'm a man in my mid-thirties and my footballing days are looking like their behind me and i'll probably not get that chance again.

Good day had by all..

Ash
03/11/2008, 9:25 AM
Have to say when we saw yer organised warm up we were a bit worried!
We even had to borrow a football to have a few practice shots :o

Tallanted
03/11/2008, 7:03 PM
Fair play to adrian for organisin the day.. Alot of hard work went into it.. Gave fans a chance to play on the pitch which i sure none of them will forget.. Despite the result!

Martinho II
03/11/2008, 9:00 PM
despite the result it was great fun.... it did get niggly at the best of times but in good spirit... tallonted had a stormer in goals for us.. unitl next time around.. i will ave proper boots and shin pads next time around....:D

Massop 10
04/11/2008, 4:42 PM
Lads, thanks to ye all that turned up for the game and paid in as if we depended on the people of longford not to much would be made for any charity. Congrats to the Athlone boys on the victory, I got my Da to vote for man of the match and without any doubt it was our SUPER keeper. Who was playing his 3rd game of the weekend !!!!
I'm just so glad that you all enjoyed the day and also that we had some fun, even in defeat. Just to let everyone know we made 830 euro for AWARE (which is great considering only about 30 turned up !!!!!). There is a do in Begleys Pub in Killoe on Saturday 22nd of this month also for AWARE if any of you want to come along. Thanks again and I will always be greatful to you all for playing your part in the event.