PDA

View Full Version : New clubs and grounds in the League of Ireland in 2009

Pages : [1] 2

London-Irish
24/10/2008, 2:32 PM
Are there likely to be any new clubs or stadiums in the Eircom League next season? I don't think any of the 'A' Division clubs are strong enough to get promoted. What about stadiums - is Tallaght nearly ready?

Rovers Maniac
24/10/2008, 2:35 PM
Are there likely to be any new clubs or stadiums in the Eircom League next season? I don't think any of the 'A' Division clubs are strong enough to get promoted. What about stadiums - is Tallaght nearly ready?

Shamrock Rovers are moving to tallaght will be ready in Feb. But anything can happen in this league its the most exciting off the pitch league in the world.

GuisaSaigon
24/10/2008, 2:52 PM
Mervue United might be promoted, I think they will have a play-off against the bottom team in the 1st division or something like that. Their ground Faherty's Field is not currently suited to LOI football.

Sam_Heggy
24/10/2008, 3:03 PM
Mervue United might be promoted, I think they will have a play-off against the bottom team in the 1st division or something like that. Their ground Faherty's Field is not currently suited to LOI football.

Possible ground share? From seeing Mervue play I wouldn't be too worried if I was the bottom side in First Div but, in a once off game anything can happen.

oldyouth
24/10/2008, 3:05 PM
I believe we finally got the planning permission for our 2,500 permanent stand, incorporating, club shop, bar, hospitality, toilets etc. It now remains to be seen if it will proceed in the current economic climate

BohsPartisan
25/10/2008, 5:05 AM
Where ae Mervue from?

CuanaD
25/10/2008, 8:30 AM
Where ae Mervue from?
its in galway - kind of airport side. don't know where the ground is tho
Link:
http://www.mervueunited.com/

WoodquayBoy
28/10/2008, 12:45 PM
Mervue is on the east side of the city, many would suggest it is thew soccer heartland of Galway. Doubt their ground would be given approval to hold League of Ireland games, but seen as it is the Galway & District League which owns Terryland, they'll have no problems playing the games there I would imagine.

GenerationXI
28/10/2008, 12:53 PM
Mervue United might be promoted, I think they will have a play-off against the bottom team in the 1st division or something like that.

I'm not sure I have the energy to hate TWO Galway based teams.;)

Their ground Faherty's Field is not currently suited to LOI football.

Ask Johnny Lester what Hogan Park was like. :o

If they do that trick where teams pretend to have plans to get the ground up to spec within 2 years they'll have no problem I'd say.

Otherwise, Tullamore's set up is really nice, but they'll need a bit of time to get things together on the pitch.

jinxy lilywhite
28/10/2008, 1:17 PM
Clearing work has begun behind the Shed Side of Oriel Park for the construction of the Youth Development Centre. I don't know how long it will take or if it will restrict the Shed for next season but I think I read on the Oriel Web that the Matchday Mag will provide us with the info.

WoodquayBoy
28/10/2008, 3:06 PM
I'm not sure I have the energy to hate TWO Galway based teams.;)
I'm sure you'll think of something!

GenerationXI
29/10/2008, 8:13 AM
I'm sure you'll think of something!

Are you trying to encourage me to plant an explosive device in Terryland Park? That's sick!!!:eek:

And ludicrously tempting. ;)

fionnsci
29/10/2008, 9:25 AM
Any word on new teams for the A Championship next year?

galwayhoop
29/10/2008, 10:00 AM

did this Faherty fella buy it off Fahy????

GuisaSaigon
29/10/2008, 12:16 PM
did this Faherty fella buy it off Fahy????
Sorry, of course it's Fahy's Field! Don't know why I had Faherty in my head any way whatever you call it, it's hard to see how they could play LOI games up there. The FAI have completely lost the plot by opening up the possibility of having 3 LOI teams in the city. We are struggling to keep one club alive FFS.:mad:

galwayhoop
29/10/2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry, of course it's Fahy's Field! Don't know why I had Faherty in my head any way whatever you call it, it's hard to see how they could play LOI games up there. The FAI have completely lost the plot by opening up the possibility of having 3 LOI teams in the city. We are struggling to keep one club alive FFS.:mad:

agreed.

By the way if one (or more) LoI sides go the way of Kilkenny or Dublin City in recent years and close up shop over the close season will Mervue be promoted as a matter of course??? (regardless of outcome of play-off) :confused:

I know one or two involved up there and they are doing great work but surely that would be a step too far...

geezer
29/10/2008, 10:12 PM
Have done very well with developments in the last 10 years. They have full spec floodlighting now and a Grade A pitch, No stands but they are a fully commercial club now with plenty of revenue streams with, membership, lotto, 5 a side all weather pitches and very savvy on drawing funds from councils and government. There assets are valued at 6million on their balance sheet. (not including the grounds) If GUFC get in trouble they are well placed to take up any slack and can cover the costs of a 1st division outfit without any bother. Thats something they wouldnt have managed a few years back it would have been solely membership fees and lotto and hence that normally irked the parents when LOI football was mentioned at committee meetings. They would not be keen on paying dublin taxi drivers 80k a year. Utd heads need to get our act together competition is growing and the galway public wont tolerate any "save Galway Utd" campaigns, Connaught rugby have launched a direct attack on targeting our gates and supporters in the last few years and the baffling thing our chairmans first love is the rugger next we will be pushed to sat nights and that for some reason attracts gates 15% below friday figures. Utd need to put more value on season ticket holders and supporters and get them working together soon.

WoodquayBoy
29/10/2008, 10:26 PM
In fairness Geezer, you can't blame our chairman for sticking with taxi - he was in the sportsground/france/wales/scotland every Friday night with the eggchasers, so wouldn't have seen United perform - or not - week in week out.

pixiehead
29/10/2008, 10:26 PM
Have done very well with developments in the last 10 years. They have full spec floodlighting now and a Grade A pitch, No stands but they are a fully commercial club now with plenty of revenue streams with, membership, lotto, 5 a side all weather pitches and very savvy on drawing funds from councils and government. If GUFC get in trouble they are well placed to take up any slack and can cover the costs of a 1st division outfit without any bother. Thats something they wouldnt have managed a few years back it would have been solely membership fees and lotto and hence that normally irked the parents when LOI football was mentioned at committee meetings. They would not be keen on paying dublin taxi drivers 80k a year. Utd heads need to get our act together competition is growing and the galway public wont tolerate any "save Galway Utd" campaigns, Connaught rugby have launched a direct attack on targeting our gates and supporters in the last few years and the baffling thing our chairmans first love is the rugger next we will be pushed to sat nights and that for some reason attracts gates 15% below friday figures

i dont know if i would panic too much Geezer. Castlebar Celtic here have a good a set up as mervue and the same passion to go far however their not likley to pull any sort of crowds to any of their home games in a town of 20k people . United are well established in that regard in a city and i cant see mervue or Devon taking even 1% of that

geezer
29/10/2008, 10:34 PM
woodquay man spot on:D

geezer
29/10/2008, 10:42 PM
but i would never panic over Mervue or Salthill. Utd sometimes can be its own worst enemy. LOI football is a tough tough stage to survive in and thats where you need a strong balance sheet and revenue streams, these clubs have quietly gone about putting these in place, Utd need to start and to be fair Athenry is a major start, next is putting back in the mgmt committees and looking after no1 ...GUFC

micls
29/10/2008, 10:52 PM
It'd be kinda funny to have a team called Galway UNITED and another Galway team in the same league..........

Patrick Dunne
29/10/2008, 10:58 PM
Mervue United still have to win two legged play-off against (probably) Kildare County to get up to the First Division.

With the second leg at Station Rd, and Tony Cousins bound to improve Kildare defensively, the Leinster side have to be favourites.

Mervue have done well in the A League, but they were facing teams with no incentive to win. Kildare will be fighting for their lives.

Sheridan
29/10/2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah, but Kildare are crap.

Lim till i die
29/10/2008, 11:12 PM
What's Galways arrangement for the use of Terryland??

If Mervue made the LoI could you see the junior clubs in Galway petitioning for them to get first refusal on the ground (ie Mervue using it on Friday, Galway on Saturday)

Patrick Dunne
29/10/2008, 11:22 PM
United would have first call - we have a long-term lease. Another club would probably use Saturday evenings.

brianw82
29/10/2008, 11:57 PM
I was under the impression that these A-Championship clubs had to finish higher than the A-teams of Premier/First Division sides in order to get into the playoff. Was this never the case?

srfc1928
30/10/2008, 12:02 AM
Mervue United still have to win two legged play-off against (probably) Kildare County to get up to the First Division.

With the second leg at Station Rd, and Tony Cousins bound to improve Kildare defensively, the Leinster side have to be favourites.

Mervue have done well in the A League, but they were facing teams with no incentive to win. Kildare will be fighting for their lives.

Lights Camera Action
Its DVD time in Galway:D

Olander
30/10/2008, 12:20 AM
Lights Camera Action
Its DVD time in Galway:D

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/ROS/SPL-3153~Titanic-Sinks-Posters.jpg

srfc1928
30/10/2008, 1:44 AM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/ROS/SPL-3153~Titanic-Sinks-Posters.jpg
Old news !
how long have you been waiting to use that, lol

WoodquayBoy
30/10/2008, 8:38 AM
I was under the impression that these A-Championship clubs had to finish higher than the A-teams of Premier/First Division sides in order to get into the playoff. Was this never the case?
The non League of Ireland A sides had to finish in the top four of their pools to qualify for a playoff against the bottom side in the First Division. If Mervue or Salthill finished in the same position in Pool A as Tulamore did in Pool B, then those sides would playoff against each other, with the winner going on to the promotion/relegaiton playoff.
Tullamore are currently bottom of their Pool, Devon can't catch Mervue, and Mervue are guaranteed a top four finish

London-Irish
05/11/2008, 9:01 PM
That play-off scenario sounds very exciting.

dcfcsteve
05/11/2008, 9:53 PM
It'd be kinda funny to have a team called Galway UNITED and another Galway team in the same league..........

You mean like in Manchester, Sheffield or Dundee....?

L37Ultra
06/11/2008, 11:48 AM
The non League of Ireland A sides had to finish in the top four of their pools to qualify for a playoff against the bottom side in the First Division. If Mervue or Salthill finished in the same position in Pool A as Tulamore did in Pool B, then those sides would playoff against each other, with the winner going on to the promotion/relegaiton playoff.
Tullamore are currently bottom of their Pool, Devon can't catch Mervue, and Mervue are guaranteed a top four finish

What would have happen if say, both Salthill Devon and Mervue both finished in the Top four in Pool A and Tullamore also finished in the Top four in Pool B.

Just curious, not trying to be akward :)

L37Ultra
06/11/2008, 11:50 AM

Just like Cork City and Cobh ya?

Schumi
06/11/2008, 12:10 PM
What would have happen if say, both Salthill Devon and Mervue both finished in the Top four in Pool A and Tullamore also finished in the Top four in Pool B.

As far as I know, Tullamore would play whichever of Salthill and Mervue finished higher in their group and the winner would play Kildare.

monutdfc
06/11/2008, 12:13 PM
My understanding was they had to finish in the top 4 to get into the playoff.

A face
06/11/2008, 12:14 PM

No way man ... Cork is Cork is Cork ..... and Cobh is .... well ...... err, its just Cobh, its done now and they cant change it, they will be Cobh for ever more and they cant go blaming us for it :eek:

galwayhoop
06/11/2008, 2:08 PM
Have done very well with developments in the last 10 years. They have full spec floodlighting now and a Grade A pitch, No stands but they are a fully commercial club now with plenty of revenue streams with, membership, lotto, 5 a side all weather pitches and very savvy on drawing funds from councils and government. There assets are valued at 6million on their balance sheet. (not including the grounds) If GUFC get in trouble they are well placed to take up any slack and can cover the costs of a 1st division outfit without any bother. Thats something they wouldnt have managed a few years back it would have been solely membership fees and lotto and hence that normally irked the parents when LOI football was mentioned at committee meetings.
That all sounds great but what exact revenue streams do they have outside membership and lotto? I presume you mean the income from the astro pitches? Surely all of their income is currently used fielding their existing teams and couldn't really cope with the extra couple of hundred thousand needed to run a LoI team!!

BTW balance sheet figures of €6 million sound great but in reality are worth damm all. What you need is a strong revenue stream to sustain running costs and especially wages.

Where exactly does the €6 million come from if not grounds???

WoodquayBoy
06/11/2008, 3:04 PM

Not being smart, but depends on where they finished. Whichever team finished highest would go through to playoff, but if teams finished same position in both pools (Devon and Tullamore both finished 3rd in respective pools) then they would playt off, with winner going forward to League playoff.
Doesn't matter though, not going to happen now

The Lilywhites
06/11/2008, 3:54 PM
Promotion / Relegation play-off

First Leg – Mervue United v Kildare County, Fahy’s Field, Tuesday 18th November, Kick-off 7.45pm

Second leg – Kildare County v Mervue United, Station Road, Friday 21st November, Kick-off 7.45pm

GalwayRed
06/11/2008, 4:59 PM
I hope Mervue win that playoff and Galway United stay up....I would like to have at least one shels fixture that was easy to get to:cool:

micls
06/11/2008, 5:00 PM
You mean like in Manchester, Sheffield or Dundee....?
Yes

Eh.....No :confused:

Candystripe
07/11/2008, 12:08 AM
The Brandywell is coming along nicely.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n274/roddyyddor/nest.jpg

L.T.F.C.
07/11/2008, 12:50 AM
The Brandywell is coming along nicely.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n274/roddyyddor/nest.jpg

the brandywell is a dive! bloody dog track!!

L.T.F.C.
07/11/2008, 12:52 AM
IMHO i think the FAI should support teams that are in trouble instead of makin up new teams with no fan base, no ground or nothing!

holidaysong
07/11/2008, 1:50 PM
As reported in last night's Dundalk FC Magazine, work has began on our Youth Development Centre at Oriel Park. It is hoped that it will be completed by July/August 2009.

holidaysong
07/11/2008, 1:51 PM
Promotion / Relegation play-off

First Leg – Mervue United v Kildare County, Fahy’s Field, Tuesday 18th November, Kick-off 7.45pm

Second leg – Kildare County v Mervue United, Station Road, Friday 21st November, Kick-off 7.45pm

That should mean Kildare will rest a few players against us next Saturday night then..

dapman1
10/11/2008, 9:43 AM
To get back to the orginal title of the thread. There is a new 850 seater stand on the opposite side of the pitch from the main stand in Station Road. This brings the seating capacity at Staion Road up to 1050, meaning that all of our usual rivals in Div 1 will have plenty of comfort at Station road in 2009.

Dodge
10/11/2008, 9:49 AM
IMHO i think the FAI should support teams that are in trouble instead of makin up new teams with no fan base, no ground or nothing!

The FAI have never made up a team