PDA

View Full Version : Aertel

Ringo
14/10/2003, 7:27 PM
I e-mailed them earlier on to try and find out why the results are all over the place. i suggested trying to get a few from each club to share texting in the scores as they happen, What do you think. Theres nothing worse if you can't go to a game & you want to find out whats happening.

A face
14/10/2003, 8:37 PM
Originally posted by Ringo
I suggested trying to get a few from each club to share texting in the scores as they happen.

They'd never go for it ... it might actually work, and they couldn't be have that.

Ringo
15/10/2003, 6:29 AM
got an e-mail back, i'd said about the results last week

Matches in general, last week it came up O-O for
> kildare V Limerick as
> RES the match was 3-2. I'm sure one person from
> each club could text
> someone there and give then updates, wouldn't be
> too hard to arrange

Fair enough, that's appaling. We have to sort out our
Division One goal updates. Hopefully you'll see an
improvement very shortly.

Let us know if you've any other criticisms or
suggestion in regards to our eircom League action.

gspain
06/11/2003, 9:03 PM
2 more beauties tonight

Dundalk 1 Kildare 1 Result - Dundalk won 2-1

Basle 2 Newcastle 2 Result - Newcastle won 3-2.

Have they ever had a night with all results correct?

pineapple stu
11/11/2003, 5:00 PM
Originally posted by Ringo
I e-mailed them earlier on to try and find out why the results are all over the place.

Ringo - what e-mail did you get them on?

pete
11/11/2003, 5:53 PM
I think their updates 'n stuff isn't oo bad but the amount of typos & other mistakes must be embarishing for them.

Ringo
12/11/2003, 6:27 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Ringo - what e-mail did you get them on?

'boylanj@rte.ie'

gspain
12/11/2003, 10:00 AM
I sent a complaint last week after the Dundalk fiasco to the address below - still waiting for a response although I got one that night Athlone v Sligo score wrong all night and the following day although they did get the winners correct.

treacyb@rte.ie

Aertel are a sick sick joke. the service should be disbanded. there is nothing worse for a footballk fan than getting the wrong result.

BTW I know they also get rugby scores wrong as well - do they also screw up the GAA?

My complaint is below

Dear Sir/Madam,

Aertel have been a long standing joke among football fans in this
country for many years. You even merited a mention in the Shelbourne programme last season. Football results are consistently wrong.

We had one domestic football match last night with Dundalk entertaining Kildare County. This was a vital game for both Kildare and Limerick who are vying for the last playoff spot. You still managed to report the result as a 1-1 draw when Kildare lost 2-1.

You also reported the UEFA Cup tie Basle v Newcastle as a 2-2 draw whereas Newcastle won 3-2.

These are the latest in a litany of mistakes - this season I've spotted Cork 2 Waterford 1 result when it was a 2-2 draw, Longford 0 Derry 0 Result when it was scheduled for the following night. I'm sure there have been many many more.

Football fans take their sport very seriously and while it can be
devastating to lose it is even worse to discover you've lost when you thought you'd won or vica versa. Indeed a few years back some Galway fans met their team bus after a 7-2 hammering in Monaghan (according to Aertel) with the players getting some verbals despite actually winning the game 7-2.

There is also a litany of wrong goalscorers, players mixed up from other teams which are annoying and show the complete and total incompetence of the person(s) doing the results although obviously not as serious as incorrect results.

Can I suggest you discontinue your results service until you are at a stage to employ somebody who can do the job justice. alternatively both BBC and Sky now carry Eircom League results and have so far never made a mistake (to my knowledge) so maybe you could copy their results.

Yours Sincerely,

pineapple stu
12/11/2003, 12:43 PM
Great story about Aberdonian Stu there a couple of years ago. We were playing Bohs in Dalyer, and he couldn't go in for some reason and turned on the Aertel at full-time to check the score - it was 0-0. He rang us at the game and was asking if it was nearly over and if it was still scoreless. We had to tell him that we were 6-0 down!

pineapple stu
12/11/2003, 12:52 PM
My whinge -

Dear Sir/Madam,

I feel I must complain about the appalling service provided by the RTÉ "information service", Aertel. The "match report" on the Shelbourne v. UCD game last Monday stated in its headline and also in the body of the "report" that Shels had been "held to a draw at Belfield" when in fact the game was in Tolka. We were further informed that UCD were on a six-match unbeaten streak (which was wrong - it's five) and that we were now two games behind Derry City! While the last two in particular could normally be dismissed as unfortunate typos, when coupled with the usual standard of Aertel's soccer coverage (particularly, but not exclusively, of domestic football), "match reports" which merely state exactly what's in the scoreline with some extra padding and often basic spelling and grammar mistakes, they point to a service which is surely indefensible in its poor quality. I am also aware that I am not by a long way the only person to hold this opinion! Surely RTÉ's budget must spread to some literate proof-readers, or even someone who doesn't treat the national league with the disdain which RTÉ as a whole manage to radiate?!

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,

Kevin Burke

Makes me feel much better too! Yez must try it!

Schumi
12/11/2003, 1:15 PM
It's not just Aertel. Remember the time when we were coming back from a Monaghan game which we won 4-1 only to hear (twice) on the radio that it was 3-1!

Beavis
12/11/2003, 1:22 PM
News 2 last night:said Waterford 2-0 against Cork but they won 3-0

John83
12/11/2003, 2:13 PM
Sent the following to boylanj@rte.ie
Come on everone, get spamming!

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you in disgust at the quality of the AERTEL service, specifically the appalling coverage given by it to association football. AERTEL is a subject of ridicule among Eircom League fans, and justifiably so given your miserable track record.

Tales of legend like the 6-0 drubbing Bohemians handed out to UCD a few seasons back, bizarrely reported by AERTEL as a scoreless draw, are reinforced by such sights as the headline on Tuesday morning of “Shelbourne held to draw at Belfield”, which was news to me, having watched the match in question in Tolka Park the night before, and the laughable unreliability of your results in general.

I suggest that you fire the monkey entering the scores, as I’ve been told that far more literate ones are available. I would further suggest that you stop producing ‘match reports’ in the vein of “X opened the scoring for Bohemians, Y replied for St. Pats, and finally, Z hit the winner for Bohemians shortly before full time” which are deeply insulting to my intelligence. After all, I can read the scorers and the times of the goals off the results page, assuming that they’re right in the first place.

If RTÉ aren’t committed to providing a quality service, I don’t think they should pretend to offer any service at all. And please don’t complain to me about lack of money. Pat Kenny is reportedly earning €500,000 per annum, and the licence fees are forever going up, so surely a few quid can be scraped together. Even TV3 give better service without a financial crutch.

Yours Faithfully,
John Healy