PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Winter Soccer in Mayo

taztkblue
22/10/2008, 8:57 AM
anyone agree that the standard of soccer in mayo is at its lowest ever and that its a result of a number of years of summer soccer. Is it time to revert back to winter soccer?

CousinSylDolan
22/10/2008, 9:16 AM
anyone agree that the standard of soccer in mayo is at its lowest ever and that its a result of a number of years of summer soccer. Is it time to revert back to winter soccer?

Interested to hear more on this as other counties still wonder wether its best to switch or not.

What do you feel are the main downside's to summer soccer??? I would imagine the FAI junior cup starting in Sept is a problem.

Norm
22/10/2008, 11:35 AM

Why do you think Mayo soccer is at its lowest ebb?

Leveller
22/10/2008, 1:46 PM
Why do you think Mayo soccer is at its lowest ebb?

It has nothing to do with soccer being played in the summer, in fact it has improved the quality of play.

If the players are not coming through it is a coaching issue. I dont think playing on muddy waterlogged pitches in galforce winds will improve the quality of football.

If football is played in the winter, clubs will lose players who are students as they will be at college (who are generally at home in the summer) and not able to make it down for games evey week. The season will drag on as a result of games being cancelled due to weather and external competitions.

Leaving cert students would be affected as well and lads away at boarding schools.

I think the summer beaks in the season accomodates Married people and students.

All junior clubs should play summer soccer and follow the lead of the LOI and The Mayo League.

Norm
22/10/2008, 2:06 PM
It has nothing to do with soccer being played in the summer, in fact it has improved the quality of play.

If the players are not coming through it is a coaching issue. I dont think playing on muddy waterlogged pitches in galforce winds will improve the quality of football.

If football is played in the winter, clubs will lose players who are students as they will be at college (who are generally at home in the summer) and not able to make it down for games evey week. The season will drag on as a result of games being cancelled due to weather and external competitions.

Leaving cert students would be affected as well and lads away at boarding schools.

I think the summer beaks in the season accomodates Married people and students.

All junior clubs should play summer soccer and follow the lead of the LOI and The Mayo League.

I agree.

Any chance Taztkblue could put a case forward for winter soccer?
I also think some sort of explaination for the theory that Mayo soccer is at its lowest ebb would be interesting.

taztkblue
22/10/2008, 3:35 PM
there is no doubt in my mind that soccer standards in mayo have fallen as a reult of summer soccer, with rural clubs especially affected. One only has to look at the the complete shambles the league is in at the moment with A and B teams from town clubs dictating, and the dramatic fall-off in what were once big rural clubs ie Urlar, S+F (although successful this year) Manulla (in the super league but not competing) Claremorris, swinford conn rangers etc.

Rural teams wheather we'd liked it or not relied to a certain extent on duel players who are now lost to soccer in mayo which is a shame because lets be honest these players were as good if not better than the best thats out there now
Also too many players/clubs are throwing in the towel too early in the seaon when they realise that they havent a team capable of competing and this is mainly due to the distractions the summer season brings, other things to do etc
fianally our facilities can take winter soccer now- all weather pitches etc

Thunderblaster
22/10/2008, 9:40 PM
There was a workshop two weeks ago and the clubs are happy to remain playing summer football.