PDA

View Full Version : Salute the Irish Heroes of Basle

gspain
13/10/2003, 9:37 PM
No don't spit your coffee out over the keyboard.

There were 5 Irish heroes on Saturday.

The Donegal man I met and his 12 companions from Lincoln to Dublin wish to salute the 5 big strong men who held an emergency exit gate a foot off the ground to allow 13 fans to dive in and see the game for free ~(they were still overcharged :( ). They sacrificed themselves so their fellow Irishmen could see the game.

Also thanks to the Swiss steward who apparently allowed a couple of hundred ticketless fans in (hence the hundreds sitting on the steps in our section) just before kickoff in an act of ercy that UEFA may not appreciate.

No thanks to the heartless Swiss fans who chanted "We've got tickets" at me and other fans (although we had them too). I thought "You're French and you know you are" was a decent reply.

:) :) :)

lopez
13/10/2003, 10:24 PM
Top post, amigo. :)

At last something to cheer me up after that shambles of a weekend. Oh and of course they're not German either.:p

Beavis
14/10/2003, 11:09 AM
I think it's safe to the say the irish fans gave a great account of themselves (as usual) in Switzerland over the weekend,most of the Swiss were cool aswell it must be said.I can't think of many places that you wouldn't get abuse as an away fan in the middle of all their 'hardcore' fans.

Volltreffer
14/10/2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
I think it's safe to the say the irish fans gave a great account of themselves (as usual) in Switzerland over the weekend
I can only confirm this. Everyone in Basel was impressed by your friendliness and sportsmanship. You'll be most welcome anytime you come to visit us again.

As to the mixed sectors in the stadium, I must say that my Irish neighbour was perfect entertainment. :D

Ozymandias
14/10/2003, 12:59 PM
voltreffer I must also say the swiss were extremely friendly and enjoyed the banter and craic. It was a pleasure to spend a few days there pity the game was a dampo squid...not just because we lost but the manner in which ireland played

Go raibh maith agat ...Hup Suisse

must admit the women are top totty

opplock
14/10/2003, 4:07 PM
I'd also like to salute four unlikely heroes. They are the four Swiss teenagers sitting behind us in the Swiss end wearing Ireland and Celtic shirts! They seemed to dislike most of the Swiss players but especially the keeper Stiel. For the kickouts they would go "Shh" until he kicked the ball to be followed by the inevitable, "Sheep, sheep shagger." It was the funniest thing all weekend until Mikey stole one of the three kings in our hotel and put him in bed with an Ireland jersey.

As we speak an email with the picture attached is being sent to the hotel. The king was returned on Sunday morning!

lopez
14/10/2003, 9:26 PM
Originally posted by Volltreffer
As to the mixed sectors in the stadium, I must say that my Irish neighbour was perfect entertainment. :D

Volltreffer, please don't tell me you had these two drunken idiots for the second half beside you, singing what you would have known in auld Belfast as 'party songs', and calling everyone 'free state b*****ds'?:rolleyes:

lopez
14/10/2003, 9:33 PM
I would also like to nominate another bunch of heroes. The group of Neuchatel ultras, mostly of Italian origin, that kept us entertained before and after the under 21 game with light refreshments and some Moroccan old Holborn (this I had to decline due to my job and the fact that I get asked for a sample more often than Rio Ferdinand.)

I would particularly like to confer my immense gratitude to Silvio who gave three strangers a lift to the station in his car, despite being muy borracho.

Volltreffer
15/10/2003, 7:08 AM
Originally posted by lopez
Volltreffer, please don't tell me you had these two drunken idiots for the second half beside you, singing what you would have known in auld Belfast as 'party songs', and calling everyone 'free state b*****ds'?:rolleyes:
drunk: yes
all the rest: no

Neil
15/10/2003, 7:29 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
I think it's safe to the say the irish fans gave a great account of themselves (as usual) in Switzerland over the weekend

Of course the irish were great craic and had a laugh, but the amount of barstool *******s at the game sitting their moaning and groaning was sickening. How do so many tickets end up these assh*les pockets??? The fella to the left of us spent the game playing games on his phone.

lopez
15/10/2003, 9:01 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Of course the irish were great craic and had a laugh, but the amount of barstool *******s at the game sitting their moaning and groaning was sickening. How do so many tickets end up these assh*les pockets??? The fella to the left of us spent the game playing games on his phone.

He deserves a bullet behind the knee...ooopps, sorry.

Seriously, this behaviour is worse than booing an opponent for his Rangers links. He deserves to have his seat number taken and ensured he never gets a ticket to see Ireland again. !:mad:

A mate of mine went to Moscow, Athens, Tibilisi, Tirana and the home games and didn't get in. Sort out these fans first, Rooney, ya w anker

Beavis
15/10/2003, 11:39 PM
I also feel very strongly about this.On the one hand you have those of us desperately trying to get a ticket for the many weeks leading up to the game,then you have those who are handed a ticket and couldn't care less.It's the same for home games.This giving of corporate seats have gone too far.Sponsorship is obviously important but there's a limit.Most of the West Stand is given to businesses and you wouldn't here a breath out of them all game.It dampens the already poor atmosphere in Lansdowne.Get 'em out!

Junior
16/10/2003, 8:37 AM
Some kind of record needs to be taken of fans history of attend ing matches, there were only a few hundred in Tirana and I know oo at least two of these fans who didn't get a ticket for the game, and three who did but sourced thewm through ebay etc...

I know not everyone can afford to go on away trips, but dedicated fans simply need to be recognised.

Ozymandias
16/10/2003, 9:01 AM
The FAI need to introduce a loyalty system like at other national fa's and clubs. I have been block booking since the beginning fin 1986 foir home games..I travelaway as often as I can....holland,belgium,estonia,lisbon cyprus etc.. Yet I couldn't get a ticket from the FAI and I have been lining there coffers for 17yrs since I was 16.. this is bull****..by the way I am in the West Stand...nothing around me only footy fans...the corporate guys are in the centre of the stand...

there is always noise from the noth wiong of the west stand

Beavis
16/10/2003, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by Ozymandias
by the way I am in the West Stand...nothing around me only footy fans...the corporate guys are in the centre of the stand...

there is always noise from the noth wiong of the west stand
Hmm,not sure I know a lad who gets tickets off Smurfit for the north wing,thinks he's a fan but not really,prefers Man U.There seems to be an awkwardness in some parts of Landsdowne,like they want to sing but are too embarrassed to do so.Whatever it is,last years attempts to create atmosphere in Landsdowne were quite sad.Holding up pieces of paper and playing tacky music over the intercom (mind you the El section and giant flags are a good addition).I say serve booze and get people relaxed.Axe the nonfans and lets rally 'em like we used to!:cool:

gspain
16/10/2003, 3:27 PM
I'm in the north wing too - UG/H. Real mixture really.

South and north terrace are probably the best for atmosphere but I hate watching from behind the goal.

Ozymandias
16/10/2003, 3:30 PM
I agree beavis..but can we lose the bull**** songs when the teams come out..the old fashioned landsdown roar was better and would make the hairs stand up

In our section of the west stand we didn't ever get the pieces of paper cause we are the same side as the cameras....thank God

llet the fans sing what they want and when they want ...lets bring back the old days and scare the bejaysus outta the opposition

Beavis
16/10/2003, 6:18 PM
Originally posted by gspain

South and north terrace are probably the best for atmosphere
Since the El fans were taken from the South its become boring.Ireland used to,if they won the toss, play to south terrace second half but now they try to play into the north.We need to get some instigators into the south again and that might improve things so we aren't relying on the El fans for every tune.A few of us tried at the Russia game and just got blank stares around us.
Even got some ar se hole go'on your own on your own on your own'.

Maybe it's just me but I think a noisy crowd can make a big impact on a game.Most teams who are hard to beat at home it's because of a loud home support (e.g Celtic,Russia).Hopefully things wiil improve by the WC qualifiers,it was a bit poo this campaign but could be down to the whole Keane-McCarthy hangover:confused:

West5
16/10/2003, 7:23 PM
I must say that the Swiss in the ground were good craic and up for enjoying the game...and top totty as has already been remarked. Basel is a great spot and the vast majority most welcoming.....but....and there has to be one....I got into the "2" tram on my own (going back to the youth hostel) and was joined by a group of Swiss thugs, sadly I was the only non-Swiss in the tram. I was subjected to a tirade of vicous abuse (just let's say they didn't like the Irish) from a group of 6 in their 20's. I'm 6 foot tall but they were bigger/taller so I had no choice but to keep my gob shut and get off the tram as soon as possible. When I went to move they followed and continued shouting abuse (this was 2" from my face - I could feel their spit) until my stop. They then all got off the tram with me and continued to throw all sorts of objects after me until thankfully they lost interest. As a frequent visitor to Switzerland over the years I have never such a frightening experience and still don't know why they didn't beat me to a pulp! I must look tougher than I think? I don't believe they were football fans, so I can only assume that they were just right-wing idiots. I will never go to a football match on my own after this experience and will stay clear of Switzerland for a long time. A sad end to what was a great weekend (bar the football). This last time I experienced such hate was from Orangemen at home - enough said.:mad:

Volltreffer
16/10/2003, 8:13 PM
Sorry to hear that. :(

Sadly enough, like every country we too have our share of morons. I'm afraid there's not much you can do about that - except, as you say, not to go out alone. Annoying though to think that such people should keep you from moving freely. :mad:

Beavis
16/10/2003, 11:32 PM
Yeah I thought there might have been a bit of a nazi thing going on with some fans.Firstly I couldn't understand why they had a problem with the Brits and secondly someone done a nazi salute out their car window and shouted 'Heil Hitler' at some irish lads on the footpath.I was thinking yeah we don't really care.

gspain
17/10/2003, 8:00 AM
Saw no football issue but on friday night outside the McDonalds near the railway station a group of Davos hockey fans in distinctive yellow and blue colours were enjoying themselves and were good natured and well behaved when a group of thugs appeared from nowhere and accosted them. The police were on the scene in seconds and nothing happened.

Still much much worse happens every friday and saturday night oin O'Connell street.

lopez
17/10/2003, 11:13 AM
When I was in Bern in 1985, there was mass brawl on the terraces (I've yet to see the game on TV but I was told that Philip Greene (??) was giving out about it being a sad day for Ireland - can anyone show some light on this). This started when a group of 'neo-nazis' came in with a the 'Butcher's Apron' shouting abuse at us. They weren't wearing Swiss colours, and then things died down as they moved down the side. Then they returned and all hell broke loose, and through their lack of numbers, ambulances were called to pick them up.

I was intrigued by two things. They wore no Swiss colours - just those sleeveless denim jackets that were popular with Germans during the eighties covered with German and England club (I saw Millwall on one) and 'three lions' cloth badges - and that Swiss fans refused to come to their aid. In fact I got the impression - Swiss fans carried on talking to us; the policeman on the pitch watching the fighting wasn't all that urgent in calling for back up -that the Swiss liked seeing them carted off to hospital.

Speaking to some left wing ultras in Neuchatel on Friday, they told me that Swiss clubs were generally leftist apart from Young Boys Bern and FC Basel. I think its unfortunate, but I urge you to reconsider your views on Switzerland. I was stuck in the Swiss end like many others without any problems, and it may well be that these ****s have no interest in their country. Without stating the obvious, try to travel in a group in future.

Volltreffer
17/10/2003, 1:20 PM
Speaking to some left wing ultras in Neuchatel on Friday, they told me that Swiss clubs were generally leftist apart from Young Boys Bern and FC Basel.
FC Basel supporters are very mixed, there are also a lot of leftists, especially among the "secondos" (second-generation foreigners). Basel as a city is much more on the left than other Swiss cities (though the right wing is catching up here too).

gunnerbar
17/10/2003, 5:48 PM
On our way back to our hotel, {the intercontinental} in Zurich on Sunday night about three in the morning, we noticed about 7-8 riot police firing what we presume were tear gas grenades or rubber bullets down a street. We couldn't see who the targets were. Anyway we got off the tram, and saw these two police cars speeding down towards this street. Someone then threw a bottle across the street under the car. I saw these guys and headed over to them. One was wearing a balaclava. Apparently they were with the Reclaim the Streets protest group. They told me that the police there often overreact and that there wouldn't be so much trouble if they didn't.

Now I suppose that this group would be considered left wing. Interesting that the other groups that were being talked about here were right wing subversives. Make what you will of this. From what I could gather, from what they were saying, is that this seems to happens on a fairly frequent basis.

Volltreffer
18/10/2003, 4:38 PM
I'm a bit late, but if you're interested in pictures, you will find some here:

http://www.joggeli.ch/gallerie/03-10-11_ch-irl/

http://www.fcb.ch/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album106&page=1