City 1 up. Kearney the scorer.

Team:

Devine
Hoggy, Coughlan, Dan, Billy
Colin T, Greg, Kevin Murray, Kearney
Behan, Doyle

littlehops
13/10/2003, 8:39 PM
Unbelievable.....Shels equalise in the last minute (Harris).

Full time 1-1.

Flip flip flip.

patsh
13/10/2003, 9:36 PM
This is BULLSH*t.....:mad:
I would have settled for a draw before hand with the team we had, but this is driving me mad...:mad:
Dolan has got to take the blame for these continued late goals. We just sit back and give the opposition the ball.
For their goal, Devine kicks the ball out down to the middle of their half. Neither Casey nor Doyle even jump, they just watch the $hels players get the ball back, pass it upfield and score a poxy f*cking goal.....:rolleyes:
Attack is the best form of defence, not continualy giving possession away.
F*cking sickened......:mad:

Ali-G
14/10/2003, 12:41 AM
That's alot of points dropped against Shels this season at home. Remember Flynnie missed a last minute penalty against them earlier in the season. Now a 90th minute equalizer. That's 2 draws that we should have won. I wish just once that we could be that poxy.

SÓC
14/10/2003, 9:20 AM
Lads all in all I think a point without Georgie and Flynny and even CP is a good result. The average age of that team works out at 21. I dont think there is even one player in his 30's in that side. They dont have the experience this season.
They'll bloody well lern not to sit back again after dropping 6 points in a week. It hurts the team as much as it hurts us to drop points like this, it'll stay with them.

liamon
14/10/2003, 9:26 AM
Were any of you at the game last night?
Shels destroyed us. We were lucky to be still in the game at half time.
They missed dozens of chances. It was only a matter of time before they scored. We did well to come out of that with a point.

Our defence struggled all night to cope with their forwards.

Judas and co. tore us apart on the flanks. Kearney may be good going forward, but he can't defend. If it wasn't for Ollie's patented "dissappear for 30 mins in every game", we'd have been murdered.

And they overran us in the middle of the park. K Murray just wasn't in the game at all. Even when he did get the ball, all he could do was pass it back and put the defence under pressure.

OK. Calming down now. Rant over.

fella
14/10/2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc

They'll bloody well lern not to sit back again after dropping 6 points in a week. It hurts the team as much as it hurts us to drop points like this, it'll stay with them.

That's what we all thought after they dropped how many pts last season in that fashion.... 30 or so.... it's by and large the same spine to the team and they've learned nowt. I agree we'd have probably taken a point in advance but given the way it turned out... it's disappointing.

Storysham
14/10/2003, 11:04 AM
Living in dublin so i just had the luxury of seeing the result on livescore on the wap on my mobile. Checked at half time, city winning, bohs losing and i think rovers drawing, great stuff. checked again at full time, ****ing like a dog, raging i was. going to try and make the pats game in inchicore next monday, in the middle of my exams, lucky me

niamh
14/10/2003, 11:27 AM
Another last minute goal...will someone tell de boys they have to play until the whistle blows! It can't be fitness as we know how much work has been done there.
And if it wasn't for these last minute lapses in concentration where would City be in the league?? :(

paudie
14/10/2003, 12:18 PM
Dissappointing result.

In the last three games we've been ahead well into the second half and haven't won any of them.

Will have to be fixed for next season.

Gary
14/10/2003, 12:58 PM
Pathetic tactics. You cannot have 11 men defending at all times.

There were a certain few players there who need a long look at themselves as well after last night.

James
14/10/2003, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by Gary
There were a certain few players there who need a long look at themselves as well after last night.

more then players if you ask me..
pathetic ...:rolleyes:

wiseman
14/10/2003, 2:28 PM
Was at the game last night. And yes we were lucky not to loose by a hatful, but a lot of that came from the fact that City just stood back and defended from the 16 yrd line. There was no attempt to shut them out. There was some effort in the first half and I thought Kearney did a good job in tracking back against Wes Hoolihan.
But for the entire second half we gave them all the space they wanted. That was what made the equaliser inevitable.
Where is the constant attack passion of Dolan that had us admire him when he played against us?
They did the exact same thing against Waterford with the same result.
Tora Tora Tora Attack Attack Attack

Gary
14/10/2003, 4:34 PM
The strangest thing about it IMO is the fact that when we were playing ball, passing around on the deck we were getting places. But then we started lumping it forward to Doherty and (was it?) Gannon? Doyle, for all his strengths aint a great header of a ball. Behans aerial prowess aint exactly great either.

Until we start playing football, we will get nowhere.

:o

Colm
14/10/2003, 5:21 PM
I honestly still can't believe that, for the third game in a row, we threw away a lead late in the game.
Dolan is going to have to come up with some sort of tactics which will enable us to try and increase our lead rather than merely consolidate it. However, until we ahve Flynny and Georgie back in the side goals will be hard to come by.
Also, some of the players we had out their last night are simply not good enough (Denis Behan and, to a lesser extent, Kevin Murray) and we will need to sign some proven, quality players over the close season if we are going to have the kind of success that we think and hope next season will bring.

thecorner
14/10/2003, 6:23 PM
if a footie match was only 89mins long we would probably be top of the table with points to spare

SSS
14/10/2003, 6:52 PM
I went to the game last night expecting a trouncing, but the team played really well in the first half and IMO deserved the lead.

I would not rank the performance as poorly as the one against Waterford, we certainly did not fall apart to the same degree.

The biggest disappointment for me is that Dolan insists on playing K Murray in midfield when it is patently obvious to EVERYONE that he is not up to the job in that position.
The difference Bennett made when he came was significant and coincided with a good period for City. We are playing with 10 men when KM is centre mid.

I don't agree with the those on the anti-Behan bandwagon - particularly the post that suggests that he is actually worse than KM! Denis won alot of frees last night, put himself about and only when he was knackered late on was he ineffective. Maybe not first 11 material yet if we're to win anything, but I reckon he has a good chance of developing. Interestingly, Dolan has Behan playing in midfield with the U21's fairly often - mad man.

As for the "what if" stuff - we were lucky to win in Longford & we gained from Shams lack of a ground, so the luck is balancing out a little recently. Still a pain the h**e though.:mad:

Kudos to the club for keeping George. A good sign. I jsut hope his stellar performances this season were not just done to get a better deal!

James
14/10/2003, 7:02 PM
Originally posted by SSS
. Interestingly, Dolan has Behan playing in midfield with the U21's fairly often - mad man.

Stuart Ashton manages the U21 side

liamon
15/10/2003, 9:09 AM
Originally posted by SSS
...The biggest disappointment for me is that Dolan insists on playing K Murray in midfield ...The difference Bennett made when he came was significant .....I don't agree with the those on the anti-Behan bandwagon ..
Agree with the above 2 points.
Murray was a bit lost on Monday night. Switch him into a defensive role and he may come good. At present, Bennett should be starting in midfield. That moment where he nutmegged his man in the corner and slid the ball across in fornt of the goal was damn tasty. If only JOF was htere to finish.....

That said, Behan was quite good against a good Shels defence. Better than I expected. The lads got a lot of promise. And he looks like he's only ~13 years old yet.

Éanna
15/10/2003, 11:19 AM
Dolan has to take the blame for that tripe they served up on monday night. Liam Murphy was rightly criticised for not leanring from his mistakes, and now we have Dolan- 3 games in a row we took the lead, 3 games in a row we sat back, and 3 games in a row we didn't win. We are 10 points behind shels. If Dolan had not gone on with that stupid tactic of sitting back for the last 3 games, we could be 4 points off top and ahead of Bohs. I know we have had luck in other games, but you have to take advantage of your luck to win things! For starters, he needs to bring benno back into midfield, because kevin Murray is out of his depth there. he also needs to tell them to keep the ball on the deck and play like they have in the opening 15mins of the last 3 games. He's the manager, he HAS to sort this out

SÓC
15/10/2003, 11:48 AM
I've only seen one of the last three games but I dont think the blame can lie soley with Dolan. Against Waterford he was giving some players a right b0lloxing for dropping too deep. Of course it has a lot to do with Dolan but also the fact that we have such a young team they're just not used to holding out again teams at this high a level jsut yet. Im fairly certain we'll lern from this.

Agreed that Benno should be in the team. He's an excellent all round player, and IMO the best centre back at the club.

SSS
15/10/2003, 5:57 PM
Originally posted by James
Stuart Ashton manages the U21 side

Of course he does:rolleyes:
Thanks for setting me straight on that one...

I'm sure it's Ashton's idea to play Daly every now and then, to play Behan and Nolan, his star strike force from last season, as midfielders, Kevin Murray his excellent centre half also in midfield.

I'm sure that when Dolan drops down to the sideline and a positional change or substitution quickly follows that there is no link.

I know well that Ashton is the manager, but I'm sure you're not naive enough to believe that he makes all the decisions. He is on record as admitting that all the juggling doesn't help his team, but that it is for the good of the club.

Neil
15/10/2003, 7:20 PM
Originally posted by James
more then players if you ask me..
pathetic ...:rolleyes:

mmm... some "supporters" aswell.

Idiot.

Fair play SOCcfc - only fella talking sense.

James
16/10/2003, 12:10 AM
so you're happy to accept the performances of the last 3 games neil.,..
that might be ok if you like second best half-hearted efforts but i prefer something better.. winning maybe

and lay off calling me an idiot or else :D :cool:

Colm
16/10/2003, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
I've only seen one of the last three games but I dont think the blame can lie soley with Dolan. Against Waterford he was giving some players a right b0lloxing for dropping too deep.

I agree, but sure don't you know that some people have a mindset stuck in their heads that Dolan doesn't like attacking and that he's not a manager etc. :rolleyes:
As I said in a previous post, we will have to increase our leads rather than consoidate them but without Flynny and George this is almost impossible. People are pointing to the last three games, but before that when we had Flynny it was a lot easier for us to score goals and attack, people weren't praisng Dolan for this so why are they blaming him for everything now?

I just can't believe how quick a few people have been to turn on him. The same people will be proclaiming him a hero when we win the league next season.

patsh
16/10/2003, 6:25 PM
Colm, this didn't start with just the last 3 games, this has been happening since early on in the season.
First game away to Rovers we did exactly the same thing. Well on top of them in the first half, they were complete sh*te, and yet we sat back for the entire second half, and had two attacks.
We get caught with a terrible equaliser and an own goal from Hedderman.
Wawhurfort away, the same thing.
I think Dolan has done great things for City, has improved the side, but these tactics are his and are terrible.
We go in front and then it's try to hang on 'til the final whistle.
We are better than that.

Colm
16/10/2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by patsh
Colm, this didn't start with just the last 3 games, this has been happening since early on in the season.
First game away to Rovers we did exactly the same thing. Well on top of them in the first half, they were complete sh*te, and yet we sat back for the entire second half, and had two attacks.
We get caught with a terrible equaliser and an own goal from Hedderman.
Wawhurfort away, the same thing.

Yeah, Patsh you're right about Rovers but, if my memory serves me correctly, the only reason we were beaten in Waaaaaahurford was because McKeon screwed us by giving them a baffling penalty decision and letting Dan Connor throw his elbows around.

People seem to be concentrating on the negative. What about the times we have played good football this season? Away to Longford and UCD in April we played wonderful football as we also did away to Bohs in July and away to Shels in August... to name but a few.