PDA

View Full Version : Q & A With Paul Cook & Gerry Carr

akearins
20/10/2008, 4:30 PM
There will be a Q&A with Paul Cooke and Gerry Carr this Friday(24/10/08) at 8pm in the Glasshouse Sligo.
Dermot Brannigan club PRO will also be there to answer any questions.

So maybe this will end the rumours about the lads future once and for all.
Important that large numbers turn up to this event.

brianw82
20/10/2008, 5:10 PM
Is it open to all? Might pop in if so.

akearins
21/10/2008, 7:56 AM
Yes its open to everyone

sligoman
23/10/2008, 11:09 PM
Bump, don't forget about this lads.

Hopefully be a good crowd at it.

Rovers Maniac
23/10/2008, 11:22 PM
Will be at this for certain.

Rovers1
24/10/2008, 12:26 PM
Bump, don't forget about this lads.

Hopefully be a good crowd at it.

your not going, yet your telling everyone not to forget about it??!!!:confused:

sligoman
24/10/2008, 12:29 PM
your not going, yet your telling everyone not to forget about it??!!!:confused::confused:, I am going.

Rovers1
24/10/2008, 12:33 PM
:confused:, I am going.

good man..i knew id change your mind :D

sligofan4ever
24/10/2008, 11:43 PM
Were there many at the Q & A tonight ?

Rovers fan
24/10/2008, 11:46 PM
40-50

Rovers Maniac
25/10/2008, 12:45 AM
Good and very positive.

Well Red
25/10/2008, 11:04 AM
Can someone give us a bit of feedback on the tone of the meeting, any to indicate what the manager is planning for the future, will he be with us or not.

brianw82
25/10/2008, 11:23 AM
Basic outline:

Cook asked if he will stay. He said he and Carr want to stay, and that the budget will determine if they will or not. They don't want a Bohs-like budget, but they want to maintain the nucleus of the team, sign 3-4 new players and hopefully bring a few young lads through. They don't want to have another June '08 where they have to jettison players, they want to have a budget for February, and be able to maintain that for the full season.
Essentially, if they are not in a position to take the club forward, they will consider their positions, but they don't want it to come to that.

Cook also highlighted the difficulty of signing players at this time due to the cash flow problems during the off season. I was surprised to learn that the club generally does a deal with the players to avoid paying them the full wage during the off season. 6 players are signed up for next year, no names were mentioned. Cook did say that his main priority, if possible, is to sign a proven goalscorer. The problem with this is that those players cost money. The example of Dave Mooney was given, on 3 grand a week + 500euro a goal. Incredible money. We also learned that a deal was done to sign Mark Farren prior to this season, but it fell through at a late stage as Kenny came back and wanted to keep him.

Tony McGee bored the arse off everyone with his proposal. He's an awful windbag. I hope something comes of it like everyone else, but he seems to think that everything else is doomed to failure.

Vincent Nally took us through the financial picture, and we are in reasonably good health at the minute. He said the only thing that stopped the club from folding in June was the Legends game. Otherwise, there was cause for hope.

sligoman
25/10/2008, 12:00 PM
We also learned that a deal was done to sign Mark Farren prior to this season, but it fell through at a late stage as Kenny came back and wanted to keep him.Cook revealed that before, at the beginning of the season.

Harps tried to sign Coleman at the beginning of this season:D

srfc1928
25/10/2008, 12:33 PM
Im really glad i went to last nights meeting.
All the speakers were very honest and positive.
I think everyone left happy and confident for the future of our football club.
Meetings like last night are great as it clears up a lot of rumours etc. that goes on.
Hopefully there will be more in the future

showgies
27/10/2008, 3:35 PM
Basic outline:

They don't want a Bohs-like budget, but they want to maintain the nucleus of the team, sign 3-4 new players and hopefully bring a few young lads through. .

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if either Ciaran Martyn or Alan Cawley end up at the Showgies next season.

srfc1928
27/10/2008, 5:59 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if either Ciaran Martyn or Alan Cawley end up at the Showgies next season.
Would love to see marytn sign, great box to box midfeilder.
Not a regular for derry anymore so id say we have a good chance.
As for cawley id be more surprised if he wasnt at the showgies next season. Another good signing, these are the type of lads we need.

Only1Rovers
28/10/2008, 11:38 AM
Would love to see marytn sign, great box to box midfeilder.
Not a regular for derry anymore so id say we have a good chance.
As for cawley id be more surprised if he wasnt at the showgies next season. Another good signing, these are the type of lads we need.

Ciaran and Alan both have full time jobs in Derry and Dublin don't think they will be moving to Sligo anytime soon. Both are still under contract AFAIK.

thesilverfox
28/10/2008, 11:42 AM

I think midfielders are not a priority at the minute (local or otherwise). Cook made it clear that a provern goalscorer was top of the list, and the the probable departure of Seamie, a versatile defender is another must. I know these will cost money, but Im sure Cook will spend the available money rather sensibly, that is if he is still here.

Only1Rovers
28/10/2008, 11:46 AM
who says Seamie is leaving. Cook said there has been no interest in him!

thesilverfox
28/10/2008, 11:49 AM
the probable departure of Seamie

I never said he was going, Im just assuming this from what Ive heard others say

redobit
28/10/2008, 2:22 PM
I never said he was going, Im just assuming this from what Ive heard others say

Cook said on Fri that he had recieved only one phonecall about signing Coleman (Paul Hegarty). That dosent me to say there hasnt been interest in him.

RedRebel32
28/10/2008, 3:35 PM
Cook said on Fri that he had recieved only one phonecall about signing Coleman (Paul Hegarty). That dosent me to say there hasnt been interest in him.

i would have loved to hear that converstaion:D

would be pretty surprised myself if seamie is here next year,a championship side or premiership side would be very realistic for him,he definately has the potential to ply his trade in the premiership.but if he stays all the better for us!

any opinions on who are signed up next year,if we keep the core of the squad,people like brush,peers,almeida,butler[when hes back], ogrady,raf and boco etc and add 2 or 3 quality players we would be in a great position starting next season

sligofan4ever
28/10/2008, 3:51 PM
i would have loved to hear that converstaion:D

would be pretty surprised myself if seamie is here next year,a championship side or premiership side would be very realistic for him,he definately has the potential to ply his trade in the premiership.but if he stays all the better for us!

any opinions on who are signed up next year,if we keep the core of the squad,people like brush,peers,almeida,butler[when hes back], ogrady,raf and boco etc and add 2 or 3 quality players we would be in a great position starting next season

Danny Ventre had his contract renewed I think, and as RedRebel said, if we can keep the core of our squad and add players we will be fine. Cook said his main priority is signing strikers, I agree we need strikers but its not our main priority, signing full back's back's is. With Butler out until mid next season and IF Seamie goe's abroad this winter there will be no players to fill them positions.

avvenalaf
28/10/2008, 5:13 PM
Foyzer for Ireland !!

brianw82
28/10/2008, 7:51 PM
As far as new players for next year go, as Cook said on Friday, we might have to look at picking the carcasses of Harps and Galway, whoever goes down. He seems to have had a lot of problems trying to convince players to move from the greater Dublin area.

sligofan4ever
28/10/2008, 8:00 PM
As far as new players for next year go, as Cook said on Friday, we might have to look at picking the carcasses of Harps and Galway, whoever goes down. He seems to have had a lot of problems trying to convince players to move from the greater Dublin area.

Knowing Cookie he'll probably be keeping one eye on players from Accrington and Southport now and again. in all farness it has worked for him to bring players over from them clubs, some of them being our best performers Butler,Boco,Almeida,Doherty has been good for the second half of the season.

redobit
29/10/2008, 9:48 AM

Unfortunately so. But you would think that considering the amount of players that will be out of contract for next season that at least some would be interested in going West.
Seems unusual to me that it would be easier to get players to come to Sligo from Accrington etc, than for a Irish lad to come here.