PDA

View Full Version : Burn After Reading

jmurphyc
20/10/2008, 11:33 AM
I haven't been going to the cinema anywhere near as much as I used to these days, and I'm not generally a massive fan of the Coen Brothers, but I thought this film was great. I generally don't get the Coen brothers' humour, but this time I thought it was hilarious. So far it's had pretty mixed reviews from what I've seen, but it's definitely a decent way to waste 90 minutes.

gustavo
20/10/2008, 12:13 PM
Good throwaway fun IMO , Great performances all round too as you'd expect

max power
20/10/2008, 12:50 PM
one of the best films i've seen this year. Well written, well directed and well acted. A great use of 2 hrs of anyones life !!!!

bennocelt
20/10/2008, 1:08 PM
Pitt and Clooney? No way, would rather watch High Street Musial please:mad:

max power
20/10/2008, 1:10 PM
Pitt and Clooney? No way, would rather watch High Street Musial please:mad:

Your lose.

noby
20/10/2008, 1:25 PM
Must go see it this week.

bennocelt
21/10/2008, 7:04 AM
Your lose.

doubt it really, but then I do like to listen to the thoughts of the Newsnight review where three guests (including the excellent mark Kermode) all gave it a big thumbs down:)

Dodge
21/10/2008, 8:23 AM
Why not make up your own mind

max power
21/10/2008, 11:41 AM
doubt it really, but then I do like to listen to the thoughts of the Newsnight review where three guests (including the excellent mark Kermode) all gave it a big thumbs down:)

Oh newsnight, sorry i am wrong and if a tv show says its bad then its the correct decision.

Longfordian
21/10/2008, 11:47 AM
I saw it last night. I really enjoyed it as did everybody else I saw it with. Good fun, it's not setting out to win any awards or critical acclaim though the majority of reviews have been positive. Great performances all round as somebody mentioned above from a great cast. Well worth seeing.

bennocelt
21/10/2008, 1:40 PM
Oh newsnight, sorry i am wrong and if a tv show says its bad then its the correct decision.

much better than a foot ie review for sure:)
great cast - please:rolleyes:
i downloaded Dead mans Shoes today, watched it now for the 4th time - give me a grim gritty british story any day of the week:)
seems the Coen brothers only ever make a decent movie every second time, so i will watch their next one!

max power
21/10/2008, 2:01 PM
i downloaded Dead mans Shoes today, watched it now for the 4th time - give me a grim gritty british story any day of the week:)
seems the Coen brothers only ever make a decent movie every second time, so i will watch their next one!

How can you comment on a film you have not seen ????

Longfordian
21/10/2008, 2:10 PM

What about Empire magazine, The Irish Times, the Irish Independent, Hot Press to name but four reviews all of which gave it four stars?. If you're going to be influenced by what critics tell you to that extent you should be getting a broader opinion base than three people on one programme.

max power
21/10/2008, 2:11 PM
What about Empire magazine, The Irish Times, the Irish Independent, Hot Press to name but four reviews all of which gave it four stars?. If you're going to be influenced by what critics tell you to that extent you should be getting a broader opinion base than three people on one programme.

Yeah, what he said !!!!:D

I was too lazy to think of all that.

tetsujin1979
21/10/2008, 2:13 PM
including the excellent mark Kermode
Kermode is a tool, if he was any further up his own arse, he could check his fillings!

noby
21/10/2008, 2:25 PM
So this film is ruled out by one bad review, and the next is ruled in by the historic pattern of their film releases; a pattern that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.

max power
21/10/2008, 2:37 PM
Kermode is a tool, if he was any further up his own arse, he could check his fillings!

Good review, i trust it 100% and will avoid him for my entire lifetime:D

noby
21/10/2008, 2:39 PM

His skiffle band ain't bad.

pete
21/10/2008, 3:11 PM
Good solid movie. Not too long & moves along at good pace with some good laughs to keep you interested. You won't be rolling around on the floor laughing but such is black comedies.

shakermaker1982
21/10/2008, 4:58 PM
To be fair Peter Bradshaw from the guardian ripped it to shreds.....I'll hopefully catch this at the weekend. I'm not expecting greatness!!!

thischarmingman
21/10/2008, 5:48 PM
Going to see it tonight, in the absence of anything else to see. Sounds like a decent 2 hours going by reviews here though it's really a stopgap before Gomorrah, Ghost Town, Bond and W in the next few weeks. I have high hoopes for these.

micls
21/10/2008, 8:53 PM
I thought it was shocking. Incredibly boring. One of 2 funny jokes but not much.

Saw 'Choke' the night before at teh film festival. Now that's comedy

Longfordian
21/10/2008, 9:16 PM
To be fair Peter Bradshaw from the guardian ripped it to shreds.....I'll hopefully catch this at the weekend. I'm not expecting greatness!!!

Interesting, I saw the ad for the film carrying a four star rating from The Guardian. I'm a Coens fan but I've no problem with people not enjoying it,that's their opinion which they're entitled to. I was just saying that I really did enjoy it and to make your mind up before going to see it is wrong.

thischarmingman
21/10/2008, 11:19 PM
Thought it was decent enough. Don't think Clooney should ever be allowed near a comedy again but thought Pitt was value for money. Wgich is the opposite of how I imagined it would be. It did feel a little rushed though and I feel like a it missed out a lot of character development. Passable. (I've rated every film I've seen this year in my diary and I gave this one 3/5) :)

pete
22/10/2008, 7:42 AM
Going to see it tonight, in the absence of anything else to see.

It will probably do well at the box office as was almost nothing else worth watching last weekend.

bennocelt
22/10/2008, 8:05 AM

ha come on Tets thats rubbish, he is class and usually get its right - i often go by what he says
and as someone else said - he plays skittle really well - how can you not respect that:)

i wouldn't ever go to a movie like this - Pitt and Clooney - i mean one of them maybe, but two!!!!

Also the other reviews - Empire, irish time, irish indo - ah come off it - next you will be telling me Jon Ross is giving it rave reviews
The empire - didnt that have Fight club as the second best movie of all time!!!

Schumi
22/10/2008, 9:26 AM
to make your mind up before going to see it is wrong.You'll end up watching an awful lot of films with that attitude!

Longfordian
22/10/2008, 2:23 PM
You'll end up watching an awful lot of films with that attitude!

Well I wouldn't say for definite that a film is crap if I haven't seen it. If every review I read, and I usually read a few to get a feel for the consensus, says the same thing I'll probably stay away. But even if it gets only mixed reviews I'll keep an open mind unless and until I see it, if the plot sounds of interest to me. Just because it doesn't interest me doesn't make it crap either. I do watch a lot of films though between Sky and cinema and I've watched an awful lot of crap ones too!.

thischarmingman
23/10/2008, 11:04 AM
You can often tell if a movie is going to be crap from the trailer anyway. Also, I lke Kermode he's one of the few people on TV not to dumb down to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I might not always agree with him but I'm glad he's around.

John83
25/10/2008, 11:27 AM
I saw it last night, and loved it. The audience seemed to like it too - laughed a lot and I heard nothing but positive comments around me on the way out.

TonyD
27/10/2008, 10:11 PM
and as someone else said - he plays skittle really well - how can you not respect that:)

I'd respect someone playing skiffle really well a bit more tbh.:D

Lim till i die
27/10/2008, 10:24 PM
My sister whos opinion on films I trust 100% (real expert for her troubles, but in a good way) went to see it today.

She walked out towards end.

Poorly Acted.

Poorly scripted.

Curb Your Enthusiasm minus the charm or wit.

She hadn't been so appalled since Juno. :)

OneRedArmy
29/10/2008, 12:48 PM
Mweh.

Not amongst the Coen brothers best (nowhere near Fargo or No Country for Old Men), nor is the worst.

Go with low expectations and you'll likely not be too disappointed.

Might be underselling it, but the Coens raise expectations so much you end up expecting a lot.

Francis McDormand excellent as always.

thischarmingman
29/10/2008, 8:01 PM
Mweh.

Not amongst the Coen brothers best (nowhere near Fargo or No Country for Old Men), nor is the worst.

Go with low expectations and you'll likely not be too disappointed.

Might be underselling it, but the Coens raise expectations so much you end up expecting a lot.

Francis McDormand excellent as always.

Agree with all of that, especially the last line. :)

A face
10/11/2008, 9:34 PM
Lads, i have to agree with Bennocelt here, there are alot of people who wouldn't go near a film because of certain actors, and Clooney and Pitt are two such actors. Michael Douglas i refuse to watch anymore, and Tom Cruise the same.

one of the best films i've seen this year. Well written, well directed and well acted. A great use of 2 hrs of anyones life !!!!

Agreed, was it two hours, time flew in it for me, i was gutted it ended

My sister whos opinion on films I trust 100% (real expert for her troubles, but in a good way) went to see it today.
She walked out towards end.
Poorly Acted.
Poorly scripted.
Curb Your Enthusiasm minus the charm or wit.
She hadn't been so appalled since Juno. :)

I dunno man, it wasn't bad enough for anyone to get up and walk out. It was brisk, always something going on, good fun. To get up and walk out is someone with a) somewhere else to be or b) had a preconceived idea about the film that clouded her judgement.

I didn't know we were going to see this until we were on the way in the door. I dont go to big block buster films as first choice but didn't think this was one of them. I thought it was great, a kind of sundance feel to it but with a big name cast. I laughed out loud a few times towards the end. Enjoyed it and glad i went. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887883/)

N99kv6ojn48

GuisaSaigon
11/11/2008, 2:57 PM
I thought it was rubbish, it wasn't very funny and the end was a load of crap. A complete waste of 2 hours if you ask me!

Sheridan
11/11/2008, 4:13 PM
Went to see it Sunday as there was nothing else on. Passed the time. It's pretty stupid but it doesn't let up for long enough to allow you to be bored by it. Quite a few chuckles to be had. Worth seeing, but not worth going to see.

anto1208
13/11/2008, 12:57 PM
I saw this last night and its brilliant very funny very clever and silly at the same time, i really enjoyed it thought Brad Pitt was very good.

Thought the last scene was hillarious im still laughing at it now.

max power
13/11/2008, 1:58 PM
I saw this last night and its brilliant very funny very clever and silly at the same time, i really enjoyed it thought Brad Pitt was very good.

Thought the last scene was hillarious im still laughing at it now.

Really sumed up the film for me.......if you had walked ou ( cough cough ) you wouldn't have got the film without it:)