PDA

View Full Version : Ireland vs. Scotland (Shinty / Hurling)

holidaysong
18/10/2008, 1:25 PM
Shinty / Hurling
Sat 18 Oct, 2:50 pm - 4:30 pm 100mins

Ireland take on Scotland at Kilkenny in the annual international fixture that combines the skills of shinty and hurling. Camanachd Cup winners Fort William provide the backbone of the Scotland team, who have won each the last three meetings.

This is live on TG4 and BBC2 Scotland today for anyone who fancies a curious look. Anyone ever seen it before?

Aberdonian Stu
19/10/2008, 2:53 AM
I've played it twice, both around 10 years ago. I played against a Scottish Under 19 team with my club side, Kilmacud Crokes. Lost both times. The rules are far easier for the Shinty players to adapt to than hurling as essentially they're being allowed to do more whilst hurlers are being restricted in what they can do. You get used to not handling the sliotar fairly fast but little things like not being able to kick the ball or the Scots being allowed to charge at frees is very irritating.

It was good craic all the same and I traded camans with one of their lads the second time around and still have the Shinty stick to this day.

holidaysong
19/10/2008, 1:08 PM
Ireland lost by a point. The shinty players did look to have an advantage alright, the Irish players kept giving fouling by kicking the ball..

bennocelt
19/10/2008, 2:10 PM
i actually watched a bit of this. It was hard enough to watch to be honest, but i was surprised by the Scots and their technical ability, and they were able to give the ball a great lash up the field

HarpoJoyce
07/12/2008, 8:39 PM
I remember the British TV saturday sports programe Saint & Greavsie (Ian St. John and jimmy Greaves) featured a combined rules International between Scotland and Ireland.

Both teams used the hurley/caman they regularly played with.
One of them mentioned that the Irish had an advantage because of larger head on their stick.