PDA

View Full Version : Continuing Fund Raising

Well Red
17/10/2008, 10:24 AM
Think it is appropriate to remind Sligo Rovers supporters in general and in particular those like myself not living in Sligo, that signing up to the official Sligo Rovers Lottery is a great way to help the club. This can be done on line and you can sign up for various amounts of draws or just sign up for a year. Any organization will tell you that regular incoming funds is a huge help as it helps projections etc. Obviously the other forms of fund raising must continue full steam ahead. The club is getting great help financially from the supporters and we have to lay a good base for next year. So anyone not contributing to the Bit of Red especially those away from Sligo, should get involved straight away and thanks to the brilliant work been done by the existing fund raisers and those that continually go through the turnstiles.

redrov2005
17/10/2008, 10:32 AM
Is the astro turf pitch making much money for the club ?

red bellied
17/10/2008, 11:01 AM

Think they clear a profit of only 1200 per month because most of it goes to the FAI who loaned Rovers money for it.

neutrino
18/10/2008, 6:40 PM
Think they clear a profit of only 1200 per month because most of it goes to the FAI who loaned Rovers money for it.

i thought the astro pitch was fully funded from seed capital and grant money and that the club have a loan out for the flood lights.somewhere like 50k.

redobit
20/10/2008, 11:40 AM

Hope this helps:
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=983257#post983257

neutrino
05/11/2008, 1:17 PM
Saw this on Shams website - a good idea - easy to implement - no costs.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/shirt_promotion_08.php

would this work for us i wonder ? assign a player to a shirt number and open the bidding !!

Boo_Boy
05/11/2008, 1:30 PM

would this work for us i wonder ? assign a player to a shirt number and open the bidding !!

Physio Amy Waters' polo top: €100

Just a heads up :p

sligoman
06/11/2008, 11:28 PM

would this work for us i wonder ? assign a player to a shirt number and open the bidding !!Great idea. Could easily be done at the end of season dinner auction too, with all the players being there, you could get the photo with them after too.

Red4Eva
09/11/2008, 4:52 PM
apparently there's some guy donating €30k worth of westlife memorabilia to the club

brianw82
10/11/2008, 4:47 AM
apparently there's some guy donating €30k worth of westlife memorabilia to the club

Surely someone at the Showgrounds should have told him where the dump is?

red bellied
10/11/2008, 8:16 AM
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sale-of-westlife-rarities-to-aid-club-1530977.html

SUPERGROUP Westlife have been urged to help their local cash-strapped soccer club by buying some rare band memorabilia when it goes up for auction next week.

Avid collector Gavin Walsh from Sligo has agreed to donate his Westlife collection to raise money for Sligo Rovers at an auction next week to mark the club's 80th birthday and the 25th anniversary of their 1983 FAI Cup win over Bohemians.

The collection, worth an estimated €30,000, comprises up to 250 rare and one--off items of memorabilia, including Latin American and Asian posters, magazine covers and singing doll replicas of the Sligo group.

Mr Walsh (43), who has what is believed to be the biggest collection of Sex Pistols memorabilia in the world, said: "I felt it was my civic duty to collect these guys so I went on an eight-year binge, collating, cataloguing and collecting everything relating to Westlife".

He was once approached by a representative for the band to buy the collection.

Well fair play to Gavin Walsh.

Rovers Maniac
10/11/2008, 9:32 AM
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sale-of-westlife-rarities-to-aid-club-1530977.html

SUPERGROUP Westlife have been urged to help their local cash-strapped soccer club by buying some rare band memorabilia when it goes up for auction next week.

Avid collector Gavin Walsh from Sligo has agreed to donate his Westlife collection to raise money for Sligo Rovers at an auction next week to mark the club's 80th birthday and the 25th anniversary of their 1983 FAI Cup win over Bohemians.

The collection, worth an estimated €30,000, comprises up to 250 rare and one--off items of memorabilia, including Latin American and Asian posters, magazine covers and singing doll replicas of the Sligo group.

Mr Walsh (43), who has what is believed to be the biggest collection of Sex Pistols memorabilia in the world, said: "I felt it was my civic duty to collect these guys so I went on an eight-year binge, collating, cataloguing and collecting everything relating to Westlife".

Jesus fair play to him, hopefully he gets a good price for it.

life long red
10/11/2008, 9:53 AM

well done gavin

Fivesilver
10/11/2008, 10:43 AM
Give this man a lifetime ticket to the Showgies.

sligoman
10/11/2008, 11:01 AM
He was once approached by a representative for the band to buy the collection.Why would Westlife want their own merchandise?:confused:

srfc1928
10/11/2008, 11:27 PM
Wow thats an amazing gesture.
Fair play and thank you Gavin Walsh:ball:

Jeebus
12/11/2008, 1:13 PM
Westlife come to Rovers aid

http://www.sligopost.com/2008/11/12/westlife-come-to-rovers-aid/

A devoted collector from Sligo has made €25,000 for Sligo Rovers by selling his colossal collection of Westlife memorabilia to the crooners.

The collection is currently locked in an old bank safe below ej Menswear and members of Westlife will hand over the money at a celebration night for the local soccer club this Sunday in the Radisson Hotel.

Gavin Walsh (43), of Pearce Road in Sligo town, has been collecting all-things-Westlife for 10 years and the mega-compilation charts their decade long reign as pop royalty.

But he admits he is neither a fan of the band or of Sligo Rovers, “I’m just a fan of Sligo and while I am not a fan of either I am a huge admirer,” he told the Post.

“I’m glad that the collection will still remain in Sligo and it will stay in one piece because if it had have been sold separately it would have been broken up.

“I’m also really happy that Westlife have brought it. I met them five years ago when the collection was half of what it is now and they were dying to buy it then but I just wasn’t ready to sell.”

The avid collector also boasts one of the biggest Sex Pistols collections in the world and has a huge anthology of Beatles memorabilia. He has also been commissioned to write a book about the Beatles.

One of the Sligo Rovers fundraisers, Robert Fitzpatrick, thanked Mr Walsh for his generosity saying: “This is a magnanimous gesture from Gavin. We really need the money and all of the funds will go towards Sligo Rovers for the next season, for buying new players.

“By Sunday hopefully we will be in Europe so Sunday night will be an even bigger reason to celebrate.”

The club are also celebrating the 25 year anniversary of the first time they won the FAI Cup and many members of the 1983 squad will be in attendance.

Tickets are priced at €60 and are available at the Showgrounds, ej Menswear, Fiddlers Creek and Caheney’s

Rovers Maniac
12/11/2008, 1:15 PM
Superb gesture by this man hard to believe it, fair play to him.

red bellied
12/11/2008, 1:28 PM
The headline of that article should read "Gavin Walsh comes not to Rovers aid" not Westlife. Westlife put an offer in for it before but Walsh wouldnt sell. If they were any good they would have doubled the offer.

redobit
12/11/2008, 3:48 PM
You couldnt buy this type of advertising, its really positive and great for the club.

Sean South
12/11/2008, 5:13 PM
That's an amazing gesture by Gavin Walsh fair play.
Anyone think would there be any interest if we were to donate the player two sticks flags that we had against Galway to the the club to be auctioned off as we won't have much use for them again

Inside Man
20/11/2008, 10:29 PM
Read in the Champion this week that Rovers are launching a new fundraising campaign. Called THE JONNY CHADDA FUND.
involves 100 fans paying 100euro a week to fund Rovers in Europe next year.
10,00 extra a month. What do ye think?
Personnally I know it will be a failure.

srfc1928
20/11/2008, 11:44 PM
Read in the Champion this week that Rovers are launching a new fundraising campaign. Called THE JONNY CHADDA FUND.
How do you personnally know that ?:confused:
I Think it'll be a sucess.
there was plenty of people in The Radisson the night it was announced who were very positive towards the idea.
If you know something the rest of us dont, please tell

neutrino
21/11/2008, 12:09 PM

Hmm.asking too few to give too much by the sounds of it. A broader plan would probably have been better. I would also have thought a long term funding plan would have been better to associate Johnny Chadas name with.??

jstuff
21/11/2008, 12:27 PM
Hmm.asking too few to give too much by the sounds of it. A broader plan would probably have been better. I would also have thought a long term funding plan would have been better to associate Johnny Chadas name with.??

Dead right,

also, it cannot be €100 per week, more like per month. As I don;t think there are many people able to pay EUR5K per year to the rovers.

red bellied
21/11/2008, 12:43 PM
Its 100 per month. Cant see them keeping on the 400 club as well, would be asking to much. Also would have a knock on effect for the Trusts scheme, although they are looking at the lower end of the financial scale for donation.

http://www.sligochampion.ie/sport/soccer/rovers-launch-the-johnny-chadda-fund-1547943.html