PDA

View Full Version : Steven Reid Out For The Season

Pages : [1] 2

GuisaSaigon
17/10/2008, 10:16 AM
:( http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/blackburns-reid-out-for-season-964692.html :(

Deckydee
17/10/2008, 10:20 AM
Brilliant, just brilliant :mad:

Duggie
OH FCUK :eek:

paul_oshea
aw ******.

paul_oshea
17/10/2008, 10:21 AM
that lad is going to have to retire early.

do you think playing in montenegro fcuked him up?>

Reality Bites
17/10/2008, 10:21 AM
Back to the Drawing Board so - - I suspect that sums up an unfortunate career...I would be doubtful if this player ever gets a continous career up and running

jmurphyc
17/10/2008, 10:23 AM
If that's the case it's dreadful news but I can't seem to find anything elsewhere. There's nothing on Blackburn's website. Perhaps the indo just picked it up before everyone else though. I really hope not.

Saint07
17/10/2008, 10:25 AM
Just saw it on sky. Going to miss our 2 big away games and I think after wed we obvoiusly need him.
Hopefully he gets over it though has had an awful time over last few years with injuries.

Claret Murph
17/10/2008, 10:26 AM
I just feel so sorry for the lad , now Trapp what's our plan B again ......:(

tetsujin1979
17/10/2008, 10:26 AM
Confirmed by Paul Ince on Sky Sports: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_4347597,00.html

Duggie
17/10/2008, 10:28 AM
what is our plan b then. its not whelan and gibson anyway. im really worried now :mad:

seanfhear
17/10/2008, 10:32 AM
Very bad news for the lad.His future football career must be in jeopardy after all his injuries and very sad for us that we will probably never see this lad produce what he could have done for us.
Best of luck to stephen in your recovery.

back of the net
17/10/2008, 10:37 AM
f*ck it anyway...very bad news for us....

the poor guy ...his career is in serious jeopardy

Drumcondra 69er
17/10/2008, 10:38 AM
Massive blow and so unfortunate for him. Did he play after the Georgia
and Montenegro games? Blackburn must hate us, last time he injured himself was playing for us against Germany.

You'd have to think that he's going to be a player who's a constant
sicknote, the damage done by those injuries keeps clocking up.....

Worth playing Andy Reid against Poland now and seeing if he can be
accommodated.

Fast track Garvan? On fire for the 21's......

What about capping James McCarthy now too? Probably too young but....

Hibs4Ever
17/10/2008, 10:47 AM
Confirmed by Paul Ince on Sky Sports: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_4347597,00.html

From that it looks like he'll miss the 2 home games against Georgia & Bulgaria. We should still be ok for those games. The 2 Italy games and remaining 2 away games are the ones we really need him for

jmurphyc
17/10/2008, 10:49 AM
From that it looks like he'll miss the 2 home games against Georgia & Bulgaria. We should still be ok for those games. The 2 Italy games and remaining 2 away games are the ones we really need him for

He'll miss the Italy game though. As far as I can recall, it's only a few days after the Bulgaria match. We'll be lucky to see him again before next August. We can't just throw him in in June if he's barely kicked a ball even if he is fit.

Drumcondra 69er
17/10/2008, 10:56 AM
It's possible Keith Andrews will have to play regularly in his place for Blackburn now, I know he's 28 but we'll at least see if he can step up to the plate in the EPL.....

DeLorean
17/10/2008, 10:59 AM
The guy looked pretty sharp against Norway/Georgia after being out with a long time so hopefully he'll come back strong. It might be a blessing in disguise if we do the buis without him and Andy Reid cements a place...once we get him fit for South Africa!!! I honestly think we'll win both home games without him and I think we'd lose in Italy even with him but it's a huge blow, no doubt.

Duggie
17/10/2008, 11:01 AM
i still cant see trap playing andy no matter how big the crisis gets and its massive now. :(

musicinmouth
17/10/2008, 11:01 AM
I feel really bad for Reid, I hope he can recover more quickly than is expected. He has been playing brilliantly. I'm sure he'll come back strong again when he is fit again.

I think we really need to try McCarthy in centre-mid against Poland... There are other options that should be looked at - I think John Joe O'Toole could be really good - but we're pretty much out of time... Only 1 friendly before the next qualifier... We know what Andy Reid can do, but it doesn't seem likely that he will start games for us...

gspain
17/10/2008, 11:05 AM
Terrible news. He is a massive loss.

NeilMcD
17/10/2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah terrible news and feel really bad for the guy. Seems like a nice guy and he has had a real ban run of luck.

Big loss.

cavan_fan
17/10/2008, 11:11 AM
awful, awful news for him and for us.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Joey O'Brien for his role, other option is of course Carsley for the year??

Duggie
17/10/2008, 11:12 AM

Surprised no-one has mentioned Joey O'Brien for his role, other option is of course Carsley for the year??

has to be carsley now dosent it, esp in the away games.

NeilMcD
17/10/2008, 11:14 AM

Eh, why are you saying nobody mentioned Joey O Brien, when I suggested that he should start against Cyprus as he fits the bill of Traps type of central midfielder.

EAFC_rdfl
17/10/2008, 11:14 AM
Massive blow and so unfortunate for him. Did he play after the Georgia
and Montenegro games? Blackburn must hate us, last time he injured himself was playing for us against Germany.

You'd have to think that he's going to be a player who's a constant
sicknote, the damage done by those injuries keeps clocking up.....

Worth playing Andy Reid against Poland now and seeing if he can be
accommodated.

Fast track Garvan? On fire for the 21's......

What about capping James McCarthy now too? Probably too young but....

he played the weekend after the montenegro match, full 90 mins against arsenal i think

Carrigaline
17/10/2008, 11:19 AM
I think we really need to try McCarthy in centre-mid against Poland...
It's too early for McCarthy. While I was impressed watching him against Celtic in his last game, he looked a little out of his depth at times. A strong Polish team would eat the kid alive. The kid needs to leave Hamilton Academicals if he wants to progress as a player.

I would consider both Owen Garvan and John Joe O' Toole to be better options at this stage.

beautifulrock
17/10/2008, 11:34 AM
he played the weekend after the montenegro match, full 90 mins against arsenal i think

Yes he did and a friend of mine was at that game and commented that Reid looked slow and cumbersome, in hindsight he was obviously carrying an injury. Terrible loss for us, but not unexpected with his woes for the last number of years.

Duggie
17/10/2008, 11:36 AM
Yes he did and a friend of mine was at that game and commented that Reid looked slow and cumbersome, in hindsight he was obviously carrying an injury. Terrible loss for us, but not unexpected with his woes for the last number of years.

reid was class in that game - even had a piece on that game on wed night.

SwanVsDalton
17/10/2008, 11:44 AM
Awful blow, terrible for the player, terrible for us. Essentially throws places in centre mid wide open since Whelan's performance may suffer without Reid to hold his hand.

Good news is that Trap has shown that he is unafraid to throw a surprise in if he thinks it's the right call. I'm sure he'll take a look at some new options against Poland and we could see pretty much any of Whelan, Miller, Gibson, Reid, Andrews, Garvan, O'Toole, O'Brien, Carsley, Potter and god knows who else fighting it out. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Noelys Guitar
17/10/2008, 12:10 PM
Big Blow but not fatal as Carsley will be brought back So it is sure to be Whelan and Carsley. There is no way Andy Reid will be starting under Trap. Trap made that clear yesterday. Joey O'Brien, Miller, Potter etc were not chosen to play against Cyprus so they are down the pecking order. Andrews is the player who might benefit. He will probably takes Reid's place at Blackburn at least until the jan window. Ince has now signed him twice so he rates him. Having watched a few of Blackburn's games this season I have been more impressed by Treacy but hopefully Andrews just needs more playing time.

irishultra
17/10/2008, 12:12 PM
Very sad for the him. He's a very very good player when fit. Who knows what he could have accomplished if he stayed injury free?

I'm telling ye, Trap get Fahey playing in that Poland match and give him the same instructions as S. Reid.

Wolfie
17/10/2008, 12:17 PM
Once again, fortune vomits on our collective eiderdown.

More crushing disappointment than any great surprise.

Gutted for him - he was flying.

Sligo Hornet
17/10/2008, 12:17 PM
Poor Reidy! Let's hope Trap uses the Poland game to try as many midfield options to come up with a defined Plan B

beautifulrock
17/10/2008, 1:26 PM
reid was class in that game - even had a piece on that game on wed night.

like i said he wasnt, read the reports on it.

dr_peepee
17/10/2008, 1:46 PM
Balls:mad::(

Will be interesting to see the squad for the next couple of friendlies..

Delap may get a chance yet.

Ordinary Fan
17/10/2008, 2:07 PM
Reid was the touch of class in the 3 games he played, I feel really sorry for him after missing a full year, he must have thought that he has had his share of bsd luck.

Sad for us because there is no obvious replacement. The crop of you playsers (Garven, McCarthy, McCann and O'Toole) are acouple of years off the level and experience. Trap seems to think a lot of Andrews so maybe he will get more time with Blackburn now. At 28 he will be keen and although no experience at international level he has been captain of a coup[le of clubs........... grasping at straws?

RiffRaff
17/10/2008, 2:26 PM
Given his injuries, I wouldnt be at all surprised if he retires from internationals. There's an old cliche about "retiring from international football to prolong my club career" but in this one instance, it would probably be practical. I would imagine Blackburn will be putting pressure on him to play less games. Hope I'm wrong though.

Pauro 76
17/10/2008, 2:29 PM
I once served him in my bartending days in SW London. A really nice guy, real shame for him, was turning into one of our best players too. Speedy recovery to him.

zenokelly
17/10/2008, 3:26 PM
Such bad luck for the lad. I hope he can come back fom this again for his own sake.

But as for who to replace him alongside Whelan, its a no brianer really. I think we need a bit of experience and therefore, Carsley should be on the team sheet for the forseeable future, considering the situation with Trap and A. Reid. There is no other holding mid around that I would put my faith in to perform in there at the moment.

The letting go of Carsley has been cited in some quarters as a reason for Everton's poor defensive form at the start of this season due to his outstanding abilty to make the vital tackles and intrerceptions (although he can't pass the ball mor than 10 yards), what Trap is looking for it seems.

Carsley is a class apart at what he does to any other Irish mid at the moment and it should be him to replace S.Reid indefinitely in my opinion.

third policeman
17/10/2008, 3:30 PM
Quick recap on central midfield options

Whelan - very limited but competent. Only looked the part when he had S.Reid playing along side him.

Miller - lightweight, ineffectual and never going to improve at this stage

A.Reid - creative, but lacks the physical and defensive attributes to play in the Trap system.

Gibson - Doesn't look ready for international football, needs to be playing regularly somewhere if he is to come on.

Carsley - dependable but not a like for like with Reid, a better option than Whelan to fill the holding role

Potter - a minor miracle that he has ever played international football. Should never make a squad again.

Andrews - a journeyman who has been plucked from obscurity by a manager who seems to be regretting his flawed judgement and is now leaving him on the bench

Ireland - our best all round midfielder, creative, busy and able to tackle, but alas not available (maybe this is the moment to entice him back as our national saviour?)

O'Brein - has not played enough football in midfield to make a real judgement. slipped down the order at Bolton which is a bit discouraging.

I think that we have three (maybe 4)midfielders who are currently untried in international football but our outstanding performers for thier Championship clubs,; O'Toole, Garvan and McCann (maybe Stephen Quinn). THe first three should all have been in the B squad and should all get a chance against Poland. I honestly dont think any of them could be worse that the available options.

Drumcondra 69er
17/10/2008, 3:36 PM
Quick recap on central midfield options

Whelan - very limited but competent. Only looked the part when he had S.Reid playing along side him.

Miller - lightweight, ineffectual and never going to improve at this stage

A.Reid - creative, but lacks the physical and defensive attributes to play in the Trap system.

Gibson - Doesn't look ready for international football, needs to be playing regularly somewhere if he is to come on.

Carsley - dependable but not a like for like with Reid, a better option than Whelan to fill the holding role

Potter - a minor miracle that he has ever played international football. Should never make a squad again.

Andrews - a journeyman who has been plucked from obscurity by a manager who seems to be regretting his flawed judgement and is now leaving him on the bench

Ireland - our best all round midfielder, creative, busy and able to tackle, but alas not available (maybe this is the moment to entice him back as our national saviour?)

O'Brein - has not played enough football in midfield to make a real judgement. slipped down the order at Bolton which is a bit discouraging.

I think that we have three (maybe 4)midfielders who are currently untried in international football but our outstanding performers for thier Championship clubs,; O'Toole, Garvan and McCann (maybe Stephen Quinn). THe first three should all have been in the B squad and should all get a chance against Poland. I honestly dont think any of them could be worse that the available options.

Unfair comment and groundless. He's had 4 games, came on for the second half time in one, got a starting place for the next 2 and did okay especially in the second game, dropped to the bench for the game against Man U but still got a run out for the last quarter. That doesn't look to me like the manager is regretting his flawed judgement.

Jury still out for the moment.

Torn-Ado
17/10/2008, 4:31 PM
Awful news. Reid was the stand out player in our first two qualification games.

And the idea of Carsley returning to the fold is enough to make me jump off the cliffs of Moher. After we thought the two lads on wednesday night were negative and unable to make an impact...

third policeman
17/10/2008, 4:46 PM
Unfair comment and groundless. He's had 4 games, came on for the second half time in one, got a starting place for the next 2 and did okay especially in the second game, dropped to the bench for the game against Man U but still got a run out for the last quarter. That doesn't look to me like the manager is regretting his flawed judgement.

Jury still out for the moment.

Maybe a little harsh, but I am willing to stick my neck out and predict that Andrews will not be a regular starter for Blackburn this season and will probably get no more than a dozen starts even with Reid out. If it comes to a choice between Premiership benchwarmers like Andrews, Miller, Whelan and younger Championship players who are giving outstanding performances week in week out I would be looking to build a team around the latter. But then again I am nor Trap and have not just got us off to our best qualification start in recent times.

eirebhoy
17/10/2008, 5:32 PM
This news bloody ruined my day. We really need a playmaker in midfield for this team to be able to string 20 passes together. So far the central midfielders that played under Trap are more worried about doing their job in his system than anything else. Reid has the intelligence to know when and where to move without worrying about upsetting the system.

FarBeag
17/10/2008, 6:29 PM
Terrible news and I hope he get better sooner than predicted. Trap obviously sees something in Gibson and I hope he gives him a chance in the Poland game to show us his potential. He is only twenty years old and stuck to the instruction’s given to him by Trap on Wednesday.It will not do his confidence any good whatsoever not to be given another opportunity.

I would also like for O’Toole, Garvan and McCarthy to be considered.

paul_oshea
17/10/2008, 7:20 PM
This news bloody ruined my day. We really need a playmaker in midfield for this team to be able to string 20 passes together. So far the central midfielders that played under Trap are more worried about doing their job in his system than anything else. Reid has the intelligence to know when and where to move without worrying about upsetting the system.

excellent post, that sums up reid to a T, and his importance to our team. I do feel sorry for Ireland but I feel even more sorry for him.

Qwerty
17/10/2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah it's bad news but not exactly a suprise. Trapp has the Poland game to focus on this area, again like Charlton he focuses on the team not individuals. He builds a team based on structure and tasks not a team based around individuals. Better to know now than 2 days before our next competitive game. It could be worse, we could have lost Dunne. Always look on the bright side...

Colbert Report
17/10/2008, 10:19 PM
Had Carsley been fit and available, he would have started all three qualifiers so far. Steven Reid is done but Carsley should slot into his position no problem.

NeilMcD
17/10/2008, 10:28 PM
Was he not fit and available for the first 2 games.