PDA

View Full Version : Time for a massive clearout.

carnstein
12/10/2003, 11:51 AM
We have failed to qualify for Euro 2004, but in a way it could be a blessing in disguise. Had we qualified, we would have only been there for a party anyway, not to win the thing.

It was obvious to everyone except Kerr that the likes of Breen, Kilbane, Carsley, Holland and Kinsella are not international footballers and now that those players have failed to qualify, I don't think there is any way Kerr can persist with them.

He MUST give the younger lads a chance, he has no choice but to boot out these players and give the other lads a chance, namley Andy O'Brien, Morrison, Andy Ried, Stephen Ried, Liam Miller, Richie Partrige, Stephen McPhail, Sean Thornton and Graham Barrett. These player are without a shodow of a doubt more talented that the current batch of flappers and the fact that they will be given there chances MUST be good for Irish football.

petef
12/10/2003, 1:18 PM
I dont think all of them are quite ready but some are, I think which should begin to mix it up a bit. The next friendly whenever that is should be interesting.

Slash/ED
12/10/2003, 1:26 PM
Not sure what Breens done to deserve the chop really, he was solid yesturday all things considered and has generally been on form for club and country all season. I agree we do need to clear out some of the others though, espically Kilbane and Kinsella. Get them out, Andy Reid, Rory Delap and Liam Miller in for a start then try out some other youngsters and see if they can over take the established men while they're at it.

UCD_4_Life
12/10/2003, 1:43 PM
Richie Partridge should've been called up YEARS ago, Sean Thornton deserves the call too and I'd like to see Robbie Doyle, Jason Byrne, Houlihan, John O'Flynn, George O'Callaghan and a few of the other talented lads in the eL given the chance in some of the unimportant friendlies we'll have over the next nine or ten months.

The centre of the midfield is the the biggest hole that needs to be filled, in my view...I don't see a lot of options other than Thornton that'll be better than the two we've got in there already.

carnstein
12/10/2003, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life

The centre of the midfield is the the biggest hole that needs to be filled, in my view...I don't see a lot of options other than Thornton that'll be better than the two we've got in there already.
Thorton looks a talent alright and is still only 19 I think, Miller is the man who needs to go straight into the centre of our midfield though.

colster
12/10/2003, 2:07 PM
carnstein is right this is a blessing in disguise. If we had gone to the Euro's we wouldn't have got a point there. The Euro's is a harder competition because there are no weak sides like Saudia Arabia in there.

The problems yesterday were rooted in central midfield and more specifically Holland. I think yesterday showed why he rarely misses a game. He is not a brave or dominating player like Keane or to a lesser extent Kinsella. Holland had no committment to the cause yesterday. You don't get the feeling that he would die on his feet for Ireland.

Even a half fit Kinsella or Kavanagh would have given more.

Kerr's honeymoon period is now over. I'm still confident that he will get it right. I think he was right to give the lads that were in the squad when he took over a chance. They've failed. A massive clear out is now needed. The likes of Connolly, Kilbane and Holland days in the Ireland squad are now numbered.

The silver lining is that we have some untapped potential. Miller, Reid, Thornton, Thompson, Kelly, O'Brien, Barrett, Lee, Butler, Hendrick, Delap to name but a few are coming.

We need to have as many friendlies as possible in the autumn and spring.

Duncan Gardner
12/10/2003, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by colster
carnstein is right this is a blessing in disguise.

Disagree. I know you're trying to be positive (ie that you should be confident not only to qualify for tournaments, but to do well once in the finals). But if you didn't make the next two or three, what then? Qualifying is always better than not.

The overall standard in European internationals may not be as high in the past, but many of the smaller countries have shown themselves capable of making the play-offs. It won't necessarily be any easier next time, even though you should be seeded #1.

Peat Burns
12/10/2003, 6:09 PM
in with the new and out with the old [and that includes kerr]

UCD_4_Life
12/10/2003, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by Peat Burns
[and that includes kerr]

And who do we bring in then?

Real ale Madrid
12/10/2003, 7:31 PM
Did i just see Breen and solid in the same sentence. Ireland got thier tactics wrong yesterday the players on the pitch were good enough to beat Switzerland The goals were pathetic and we had little or no stomach for a scrap - we have no leadership whatsoever and the lack of a target man up front means we rely on Duff and the rest of the team to play a style of football that is alien to the players. Kerr has shown naivety tactically. Robbie Keane was injured playing a meaningless friendly. Friendlies aside Ireland really did not play well in any game under Kerr's reign - We failed to gain maximum points against the crap teams and got one point against Russia/Switzerland In the cold light of day Kerr has proven to not be up to the task of International management. We have gone from a team who were unbeaten in a group containing Holland/Portugal to a team who could only manage 1 point in 4 games against Russia/Switzerland - I did not think Ireland were a one man team when Roy Keane was in the team. I was painfully wrong - where the hell do we go from here??????????

Gary
12/10/2003, 9:27 PM
There seems to be alot of bandwagon hysteria here. I agree with some of what people aresaying, and utterly poo pooing the other half.

David Connolly was one of our better players yesterday (not saying much there). At least he was foraging and did well on the ball, 1 or 2 crosses aside.

Robbie Keane played possibly his worst ever game.

Ditto John O Shea.

Breen is dependable. I think that it is an ignorant view to blame him for everything, and people do blame him for everything. Id have him in the team ahead of O Brien always.

Kilbane is a great worker. He should be in the squad, and should be in the team. He was one of our better performers throughout the campaign. the reason he wasnt greatyday, is IMO, he had Harte behind him, therefore was forced into lookingafter the entire left side, both attacking and defending.

Harte. Have him in the squad, but defo not 1st choice. Finna would have been a better option.

Duff had a bad game, but i spose he was due one if u know what i mean.

Asfor bringing players in, well Thornton, Miller, Butler, Reid, Daly and Kelly should all be given a call up.

Is Partridge playing at the mo, or is he rotting the the Lpool reserves again?

My future team

Given
Carr.............Cunningham........O Shea............Finnan
Reid.............Miller................Holland.... ........Duff
Keane......................Clinton

with the likes of Breen and Kilbane, Thornton on the bench.

liamon
13/10/2003, 8:35 AM
I don't think we can afford a big clearout. We have promising youngsters and they deserve a few games in the upcoming friendies. But a lot of them are not ready for international footie yet. We'll need Breen and co for a long time yet, but with a few fresh faces slotted in along side them.

Kerr's record isn't great with the seniors. Beat a few nothing teams and everyone loves him. One point from the 2 big teams in the group and we all want him crucified. He came in facing a pretty hopeless cause and he did ok. I think he'll be ok, given the time. Can't be any worse than Mick.

My big concern, is why does Kerr play people out of position?

I thought Duff looked poor on the right wing, but then he shouldn't be out there to begin with. He's one of the best left sided midfielders in the game, so why start him on the right?
I wouldn't blame him for a poor performance yesterday.

Similarly, I don't think O'Shea is the right choice for the middle of the defence. He's excellent at left/right back, but usually looks out of place in the middle. There's a reason Ferguson doesn't play him there for MUFC. Maybe when he's a got a bit more experience, but he's not yet up to playing centre half.

Schumi
13/10/2003, 10:33 AM
I'm surprised to see all the criticism of Breen. He wasn't great but IMO his can-do-no-wrong central defensive partner was the worst player on the pitch. He was at fault for the first goal and did his best to give away another one a few minutes later.

sadloserkid
13/10/2003, 11:41 AM
There's no doubt that there's players in and around the Irish first XI who aren't up to it. Gary Breen isn't one though. Neither is Matt Holland (though he's a shadow of the player he was). Colin Healy was the weakest link in the Irish team the other night. His tracking back was negligable (at least Holland made the effort)and once again this myth that he's a top class passer was dispelled. Healy plays occasional telling passes in the midst of a lot of dross. Why he keeps getting picked ahead of Delap, McPhail (a real passer) and even the fading Kinsella is beyond me. As for Liam Miller... I want to see him given a chance in the upcoming friendlies but I'm nowhere near convinced by him just yet.

Pogsly
13/10/2003, 1:59 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
Richie Partridge should've been called up YEARS ago, Sean Thornton deserves the call too and I'd like to see Robbie Doyle, Jason Byrne, Houlihan, John O'Flynn, George O'Callaghan and a few of the other talented lads in the eL given the chance in some of the unimportant friendlies we'll have over the next nine or ten months.

I'm not trying to be abusive but go and ask my Swiss ! That suggestion is ludicrous and I hope is only posted for shock value . How anyone can say Ritchie Partridge should have been called up for the International team years ago is beyond me . When he wanted to gain first team football on loan he went to Coventry , nobody else would take a chance . He decided to go back to Liverpool to sit with the Reserves as it is plain to see he shall not get a chance . So that shows lack of ambition .
As for Robbie Doyle and Jason Byrne getting a callup a reality check is needed

colster
13/10/2003, 2:30 PM
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
Disagree. I know you're trying to be positive (ie that you should be confident not only to qualify for tournaments, but to do well once in the finals). But if you didn't make the next two or three, what then? Qualifying is always better than not.

The overall standard in European internationals may not be as high in the past, but many of the smaller countries have shown themselves capable of making the play-offs. It won't necessarily be any easier next time, even though you should be seeded #1.

There are things to be positive about. I think we have the basis of a very good team. We have a number of quality players.

In my opinion we are 3/4 players short of a very good side.
We need a right winger, central midfielders and a partner for Robbie Keane.

Lets take the right wing. We have a number of options here. Stephen Reid, Tommy Butler, Andy Reid or Thornton. Thats not a bad selection to choose from.

Central midfield is generally the area of most concern. We have a number of options here in Delap, MacPhail, Stephen Reid, O'Shea, Miller and Healy.

Up front is the area of most concern for me. We need to find a strong center forward. I think a strong centre forward will help us enormously. He doesn't have to score many goals just hold the ball up. Maybe Morrisson, Lee or Doherty will prove to be that but wouldn't hold my breath.
Not having a strong centre forward means that Keane has to play with his back to goal and so we don't get his full worth at international level.
Maybe it would be worth trying Stephen Reid there. He's big, strong, quick, decent control and has a great shot.

Anyway at least we have some untapped talent so the future ain't that bleak. Not going to Portugal means that we can use the friendlies to try out more new players and tactics.

carnstein
14/10/2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by colster

Lets take the right wing. We have a number of options here. Stephen Reid, Tommy Butler, Andy Reid or Thornton. Thats not a bad selection to choose from.

Central midfield is generally the area of most concern. We have a number of options here in Delap, MacPhail, Stephen Reid, O'Shea, Miller and Healy.

Up front is the area of most concern for me. .
Have to agree there. I think Richie Partrige should definatly be given a chance to show what he can do on the right wing though.

As for Stephen Ried, I have no idea why he is rated so highly. I think he is absolutly rubbish and has shown that he is not a priemership player this season, only making 4 appearences for Blackburn. Basically his is a slightly quicker and more powerful version of Kilbane and he can't pass for ****.

Dodge
14/10/2003, 11:26 AM
Talk about an overreaction. Of the players not in the squad, only really Thornton and Andy Reid are playing at a decent level. (Maybe Miller, if he gets a few more games) Robbie Doyle shouldn't even be in the Bohs team and people want him in the Ireland squad?!

Breen is a good solid defender and him and Cunningham would be my first choice centre halves. Ireland's best young prospect John O'Shea was our worst player on Saturday but nobody (rightly) called for him to be dropped. I don't rate Healy or Stephen Reid either.

Saturday was really depressing but Kerr is a BRILLIANT manager who will bring success. He should shoulder some of the blame for Saturday but he can't be blamed for everything. Give him a break.

Slash/ED
14/10/2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by carnstein
Have to agree there. I think Richie Partrige should definatly be given a chance to show what he can do on the right wing though.

As for Stephen Ried, I have no idea why he is rated so highly. I think he is absolutly rubbish and has shown that he is not a priemership player this season, only making 4 appearences for Blackburn. Basically his is a slightly quicker and more powerful version of Kilbane and he can't pass for ****.

He's been suspended! He's actually played most games he's been available for, I hardly think this proves he's not upto it...