PDA

View Full Version : rugby v soccer

paul_oshea
16/10/2008, 2:51 PM
Lads got into a heated debate about this last night, and unfortunately because i was sorta seeing red i didnt actually debate the facts as they were. Anyway, the lads were saying that only in connaught is rugby not big, and you have clubs throughout the country. The reason soccer is a bigger participation sport is cos of 5 a sides and how much easier it is for 10 or 22 lads to just go out on a pitch having potentially never played before - organisation i spose - which is fair enough in terms of rugby we couldn't all just decide to go out and play rugby when we hadn't played before etc. The other argument was if Ireland were playing in croke park it would be full, i tried to suggest the novelty factor etc, but then they came back with well how did Italy sell out last year, which I didnt think about, but had an answer about 5 mins later when it was too late. Finally, my finsihing arguement(but i was too young as i didnt go to rugby and couldn't gauge the general consensus in Ireland at the time) was that Rugby wasn't as popular 10 years ago and soccer was, because irish "sports" people are a fickle bunch and only got into rugby in the last few years due to the popularity factor, the munster factor, and the fact that Ireland are actually a decent team now. Growing up I would watch soccer and rugby the whole time, but the big rugby games would always be more entertaining to watch in fairness as a sporting spectacle.

Anyway on the Italy thing, i reckon its far cooler to say you were in croker watching rugby and with the lads or in the box or what not than it is for soccer. Also rugby matches are far less a year and therefore every game is almost like a key qualifier match in terms of soccer. Also six nations occurs when generally not much other sport of note going on, and lastly, the six nations is always on a weekend and is well supported by visiting nations.

hunt4the
16/10/2008, 3:09 PM
i reckon its far cooler to say you were in croker watching rugby and with the lads or in the box or what not than it is for soccer.

if you think this is so why arent you posting on the ruggers.ie website

SalvadorSanchez
16/10/2008, 3:12 PM

To quote Elzar from Futurama... BAM!!!!!

Dodge
16/10/2008, 3:17 PM
Anyway on the Italy thing, i reckon its far cooler to say you were in croker watching rugby and with the lads or in the box or what not than it is for soccer

Depends who you're trying to impress, doesn't it?

Rugby crowds have always been very high. The recent sruge in interest has nothing to do with it. 6 nations tickets are also sold as packages so if you want to watch Ireland v France, you have to watch Ireland v Italy too.

The last Ireland v Italy rugby friendly was played in Ravenhill, and there wasn't too many people locked out in a tiny (by international standards) ground.

Drumcondra 69er
16/10/2008, 3:25 PM
Rugby is a game for people too fat or too stupid to master the graceful art of Association Football.

End of thread.

paul_oshea
16/10/2008, 3:28 PM

You missed the point, I wasn't saying which I prefered or which had me more nervous etc(soccer always) but rugby in fairness generally was more edge of the stuff.

Dodge, Brazil v Ireland was sold as package yet feck all turned up for the other match that was tied to it. So I don't think that makes much of a difference.

Ireland v Cyprus wasn't a friendly either.

paul_oshea
16/10/2008, 3:29 PM
Rugby is a game for people too fat or too stupid to master the graceful art of Association Football.

End of thread.

brilliant :D

Reality Bites
16/10/2008, 3:30 PM
Girls 25 - 35 love rugby too, you know the type, career girl -you'll see around grafton street and Dawson street on a Friday and saturday night

paul_oshea
16/10/2008, 3:33 PM
Girls 25 - 35 love rugby too, you know the type, career girl -you'll see around grafton street and Dawson street on a Friday and saturday night

Ya thats true, I said that as a bold statement a 1/3 of those at Ireland v England were made up of htese types(boys and girls). The only people i know who got tickets and went to it were these sorta girls :D

I spose thats a very good point bites, there was a girl there last night and none of us were really listening to her points but she did say "as a girl its far more interesting to watch lads playing rugby than soccer, soccer is a load lads chasing after a ball whereas rugby is about muscle and hitting and manly" :D The point is though she like many other Irish girls like going to rugby - maybe its the whole evoloutionary mating thing, cos ye do see a lot more women at G.A.A matches too.

Claret Murph
16/10/2008, 3:37 PM
maybe its the whole evoloutionary mating thing, cos ye do see a lot more women at G.A.A matches too.

I would say most women that go to GAA games are Transvestites ......

Drumcondra 69er
16/10/2008, 3:39 PM

Yeah, rugger huggers or stuck up bitches as they're more properly referred to as.....

Going out with someone like that would wreck your head, imagine having to drink in Renards or Cafe En Seine??!!!

paul_oshea
16/10/2008, 3:44 PM

Ya a lot of those galway ones look like that alright claret.

SUB of the day
16/10/2008, 4:13 PM
RUGBY! ...the only sport in the world where fans cheer ,when the ball is kicked out of play:)..MUNSTER EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS!.......give me a break, Europe is just a tad bigger than these islands and France, oh and the mighty Italy ZZZZZzzzzzzzz:rolleyes:Football is the only sport that really represents who we are ie ROI, not some misty eyed four green fields All Island sh1te.

jinxy lilywhite
16/10/2008, 4:16 PM
There's something strange about Rugby. 30 big men running after and jumping on top of each other for a scrotum like ball. And there is a player on each side called a "Hooker"

Pike B
16/10/2008, 4:19 PM
Rugby Vs Soccer....

You know the only real Irish answer is Hurling.... ;)

mypost
16/10/2008, 4:20 PM
Rant alert

Rugby is a non-skilful sh!te game played by a handful of countries, (glorified GAA most of the time), and played in 2 areas of the country, Munster and South-East Dublin. The World Series of rugby is basically between England + France v the 3 Southern hemisphere powerhouses. Everyone else gets battered against them.

End of rant

There was only 1,000 more there last night, than last year's game against the holiday resort. The explanation for that, lies in the ticket prices, astronomical for a game against that calibre of opposition.

bennocelt
16/10/2008, 4:21 PM
well none of my mates look at rugby so i guess we are different then:)

Rugby is played out for about what 7omins and then a kicker kicks 3 points in the end and its all over - thats how it always looks to me anyway
ie zero skill
and i did try and play it a few times, but was bored
give me a football crowd anyday of the week

Drumcondra 69er
16/10/2008, 4:24 PM
There's something strange about Rugby. 30 big men running after and jumping on top of each other for a scrotum like ball. And there is a player on each side called a "Hooker"

Not to mention the fact that for certain players a big part of the game involves sticking your head between two blokes arses and grabbing the bloke in front of you between his legs.....

NeilMcD
16/10/2008, 4:49 PM
Girls prefer rugby as it is easier to enjoy on first viewing. Soccer to really enjoy you need to appreciate a number of things. Whereas girls do like the whole physical and "manly" aspect of it. They also like the fact that people who play it and go to it generally have more money so they like that aspect of it.

However there is no comparison between the two sports in my view. If you really want to argue to popularity bit Paul. Why confine yourself to Ireland. Just ask them which is more popular in the world. End of debate really. Why restrict it to a country of about 4 million people.

janeymac
16/10/2008, 4:52 PM
GAA & rugby are fairly woman friendly - no segregation, you can have a drink at rugby games etc. etc. so that would be a factor as well. I was talking to a copper in Coventry this year (I was at Munster v Saracens game) and he told me there were 6 coppers on duty. The day before there had been 500 copper on duty for Coventry v Wolves.

I've been going to rugby internationals since the 80s (even when we were crap in the 90s), it was always hard enough to get a ticket to Lansdowne Road and were always sold out.

What has really made a difference to Irish rugby is the professional game. And the IRFU has done a good job on it with the provincial set up - keeping our star players and even attracting the likes of Doug Howlett (all time All Blacks top try scorer) and Felipe Contempomi who was one of five nominated for World Player of the Year last year. You can watch these guys live every 2nd week down the road for €20/25! The fact that Munster is ranked the top European Club and wins a lot of stuff also helps.

Here is a sample of the atmosphere in Thomond Park (Munster v. Sale in 2006).
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMf6XBS4H8

As for Munster in the Melennium Stadium in Cardiff - unforgettable experience (from about 1min in).
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=MGK78ts2e1w

Comments about the lack of skill in rugby are laughable. You may have some point about gaelic football being an easy game to play, but hurling .....imo, hurling is the best game in the world.

mypost
16/10/2008, 4:59 PM
Hurling?? :D

Get a stick, and fire a golfball 50 yards up the pitch. Lots of skill involved there!!

In European football, you see many more women at games than you do here. They're just as passionate about it as the men.

Adrianovic
16/10/2008, 5:12 PM
I'm in a decent position to make an objective judgement, having been a season ticket holder and regular follower or both a football club (Nottingham Forest) and a rugby club (London Irish).

Firstly, the insinuations that rugby is gay or for fat people is just as inaccurate as those rugby fans who say football is a sport for ... whatever. It isn't worth repeating. Obviously both sports have their merits, but the question is why is football more popular.

As raised earlier, the idea of a group of lads going down the park to have a kickabout is far more feasible with football. You can even knock a ball about and practice your own skills in a back yard when you're a kid, or with your brother, or whatever. What I'm saying is that numbers are far less important in football. You can throw a ball around with a mate in rugby, but tackling and such is off the menu in your back garden, unless you're up for getting pretty muddy.

I'd also point out that given the growing number of families being raised in urban areas, you can play football on concrete but not rugby. And touch rugby is too far watered down.

A lot of people are put off by the physicality of rugby. Think about school when you get introduced to the sport in PE. Some people just don't like the idea of getting hit and knocked to the ground, and having the ball is basically a target on your back, unless you're confident in your own abilities. Football is a bit more throwaway, and individual mistakes result in your team losing the ball, yes, but not stopping the game like a knock on can.

The whole class thing is still seen as more of a problem over where I live in England, I don't know how much it is an issue in Ireland. There are schools that will teach only rugby and not football. These are mostly the public schools and what have you. The inner city schools for the notional lower classes, in general, would be more likely to do football and not rugby.

As a spectator sport, I disagree with NeilMcD, I believe football is much easier to get into than rugby. Barring the offsides, football is fairly obvious. If your team kicks it into a goal without impeding the other team, then you've scored. Obviously, it's more detailed than that, but if that is all you knew, you'd be on your way. To the new spectator, the scoring system in rugby is more complicated, and refereeing decisions at a ruck can be a bit of a mystery even to a fairly seasoned viewer.

Overall, I think I could referee a football match without being out of my depth on the rules, whereas I couldn't do a rugby match, especially with the new 'experimental law variations'.

Ade

janeymac
16/10/2008, 5:15 PM

Get a stick, and fire a golfball 50 yards up the pitch. Lots of skill involved there!!

In European football, you see many more women at games than you do here. They're just as passionate about it as the men.

You ever try it? :D Roy Keane had the Sunderland team trying it - I think he actually said that Dwight Yorke was a disgrace to a country that had a cricket tradition.

Dun Laoire
16/10/2008, 7:36 PM
The reason football was so popular back in my youth ( early to mid 90's) was because it was shown every saturday followed by match of the day that night. I don't ever remember rugby panini stickers either :D

Jinxy
16/10/2008, 10:36 PM

I think you need to see someone about your scrotum.:eek:

gaiscíoch
16/10/2008, 10:45 PM
The GAA is right no one should be aloud to put a Tri-Colour up with the name of a pub slapped right across it. It's the GAA ground their rules.

Football MaD
16/10/2008, 10:53 PM
I think you need to see someone about your scrotum.:eek:
I agree bud. Dont know what kind of scrotum he has.:D:p

pete
16/10/2008, 10:54 PM
The GAA is right no one should be aloud to put a Tri-Colour up with the name of a pub slapped right across it. It's the GAA ground their rules.

What has that got to do with rugby & soccer?

:confused:

Nominee for most off topic post?

Football MaD
16/10/2008, 10:57 PM

End of thread.
Rugby is the better game mate, and most rugby players need to be fitter than soccer players. Soccer aint graceful. Ireland are the most boring soccer team on the planet

ofjames
16/10/2008, 11:52 PM
serious questions have to be asked of any game where people cheer the ball being kicked out of play. i still think its great tho! :)

Donegalcelt
17/10/2008, 1:37 AM

Unless if they're totally unbelievable looking. They can do whatever they want then

Qwerty
17/10/2008, 3:29 AM
Having watched the All Blacks in 2005 & 2006, I can say that I have never seen so complete a team take the field in either rugby or soccer, they played at a sublime level of excellence. I like soccer but I love rugby, I watch the Air NZ Cup! before an EPL game :)

gspain
17/10/2008, 8:30 AM
football is a far far bigger participation sport than rugby. this is not fdown to 5 a side football. The ESRI report was based on proper clubs competing in proper leagues. Virtually every village in the country has at least 1 football team yet there are still huge areas of the country without a local rugby team.

Rugby is a bigger spectator sport. Munster, Leinster and the Ireland team attract huge crowds. Club rugby does not.

Drumcondra 69er
17/10/2008, 8:34 AM
most rugby players need to be fatter than soccer players.

Corrected that for you. ;)

Drumcondra 69er
17/10/2008, 8:37 AM
Soccer aint graceful. Ireland are the most boring soccer team on the planet

And I think you're probably on the wrong forum if that's your view.

Back to D4 with you O'Carroll-Kelly !

Billsthoughts
17/10/2008, 8:37 AM
Girls prefer rugby as it is easier to enjoy on first viewing. Soccer to really enjoy you need to appreciate a number of things. Whereas girls do like the whole physical and "manly" aspect of it. They also like the fact that people who play it and go to it generally have more money so they like that aspect of it.

Mmmmmm....I'm intrigued...Tell me more about the ways of the lady folk neil...

galwayhoop
17/10/2008, 8:51 AM

ok course the egg carriers forum is in fact rugb.ie

Macy
17/10/2008, 10:06 AM
Only mard arse jesse's who were too scared of getting hurt and muddy really think that. The same type of people who think the outlawing of practically any physical contact in football makes it a better game.

bennocelt
17/10/2008, 11:35 AM
Only mard arse jesse's who were too scared of getting hurt and muddy really think that. The same type of people who think the outlawing of practically any physical contact in football makes it a better game.

i have played it, got down and dirty and i thought i was easily the most boring game ever - no skill, lots of running around doing nothing, and kicking it up the field (ala jacks long ball game actually!)

as for another poster saying -- young fellas wouldn't like the physicality of it - are you serious - must young fellas love mucking about but just that rugby gets boring after about 10 minutes and then they all revert to football again cause its a real game

how many guys do you know will head to the pub to watch a rugby game? None! exactly:)

superfrank
17/10/2008, 1:50 PM
Personally, I hate rugby.

I don't like it as a sport and I've never really enjoyed playing it. The way I played it, there was a just a bunch of us running around like headless chickens.

I find football infinitely more enjoyable. To me, it's a lot more exciting and more about skill and thought. That said, there IS skill and thought in rugby, I just don't think it's on the same level as football.

Another minus for me is the stereotypical "rugger-buggers". Some of them do play up to the steretype some times and it's very sad, imo.

BrayUnknowns
17/10/2008, 2:51 PM
Another minus for me is the stereotypical "rugger-buggers". Some of them do play up to the steretype some times and it's very sad, imo.

It's slightly better than the larger swilling, bar fighting, foul mouthed stereotypical personality that football fans have in fairness.

paul_oshea
17/10/2008, 4:40 PM
It's slightly better than the larger swilling, bar fighting, foul mouthed stereotypical personality that football fans have in fairness.

Ya the worst part is those lot think that is what all soccer fans are like though, thats was makes it even more sad.

Noelys Guitar
17/10/2008, 5:09 PM

Don't mention me again.

holidaysong
17/10/2008, 5:18 PM
Rugby v football, rugby v football..

brianw82
18/10/2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I really wonder if rugby will be more popular than football on a forum called foot.ie.......

Lim till i die
22/10/2008, 12:00 AM

Football: Get a pigs bladder, swing your leg at it so it goes up the pitch.

Rugby: Feel up some public schoolboys

Wow, this is easy.

Still absolute twaddle though. :rolleyes: