PDA

View Full Version : Petty GAA Officials

Pages : [1] 2 3

gufct
16/10/2008, 10:21 AM
Ive written about this before but last night was the worst ive ever seen.

The GAA Control Centre instructed their own private stewards to remove any soccer flags hanging over the walls in Croke Park last night. So we were left with about 3 Irish Banners and 2 Huge Cypriot (Chelsea & Spurs) flags on the lower hogan.

irishfan86
16/10/2008, 10:23 AM
Their stadium, their rules. The FAI as a body should never have had to turn to the GAA to have a stadium to play in, but there we are.

That said, on a personal level I think it's a petty move on the GAA's part.

Duggie
16/10/2008, 10:24 AM
while i wouldnt agree with it all you can say is it is there stadium.

Macy
16/10/2008, 10:31 AM
while i wouldnt agree with it all you can say is it is there stadium.
Loaning it for free are they?

irishfan86
16/10/2008, 10:33 AM
Loaning it for free are they?

Presumably these conditions were made explicit during the rental negotiations.

As I've stated I think it's petty, but if you put yourself in a position where you need to rent a stadium then you have to put up with the conditions in the rental agreement.

Rovers1
16/10/2008, 10:34 AM
*******s....ive said it from day one, the GAA will ruin this country!!!!

Claret Murph
16/10/2008, 10:34 AM

The GAA Control Centre instructed their own private stewards to remove any soccer flags hanging over the walls in Croke Park last night. So we were left with about 3 Irish Banners and 2 Huge Cypriot (Chelsea & Spurs) flags on the lower hogan.

What do you expect GUFCT from that lot anyway :mad: but as every day that passes we get a day nearer returning home to lansdowne , i know it's not ours but it feels like it home .

Duggie
16/10/2008, 10:35 AM

As I've stated I think it's petty, but if you put yourself in a position where you need to rent a stadium then you have to put up with the conditions in the rental agreement.

exactly.

gufct
16/10/2008, 10:40 AM
when we played the bigger teams though Hill 16 was flooded with the Opposition Flags while Tricolours were being taken down. I actually asked the w****r that took down an Athenry Tricolour which has hung at GAA Grounds allover the country including Croker and his reply was GAA Control had radioed them to remove every Irish Flag from around the Ground.

:mad:

Drumcondra 69er
16/10/2008, 10:41 AM

Would've had eircom park open by now if Bertie and FF had given us as much help as they gave the GAA in redeveloping Croker rather then putting obstacles in the way at every opportunity so Bertie could build the laughable white elephant that Stadium Ireland turned out to be.....

pete
16/10/2008, 10:50 AM
The GAA Control Centre

Name sounds like some sort body a dodgy government would set up control the people.

finnpark
16/10/2008, 11:23 AM
*******s....ive said it from day one, the GAA will ruin this country!!!!

In fairness to GAA players, they are very good amateur sports people and have a great attitude towards their sport. Unfortunately at the top there is a business element that care about nothing but their own pockets.

jbyrne
16/10/2008, 11:33 AM
our flag should not be defaced in the way it so often is with the name of pubs etc on them in anycase

paul_oshea
16/10/2008, 12:22 PM
our flag should not be defaced in the way it so often is with the name of pubs etc on them in anycase

JByrne its in the GAA constitution as well, not to deface the tricolour i.e. no writing, thats why they dont allow them in Croke Park. You will never see one in Croke Park any other day either includng the Aussie Rules.

jbyrne
16/10/2008, 12:24 PM
JByrne its in the GAA constitution as well, not to deface the tricolour i.e. no writing, thats why they dont allow them in Croke Park. You will never see one in Croke Park any other day either includng the Aussie Rules.

the fai should follow this also

tetsujin1979
16/10/2008, 12:29 PM
or adorned with the name of internet sites :rolleyes:

gspain
16/10/2008, 12:30 PM
Perhaps they should ask the people who paid for most of the place (i.e. the taxpayer - yah yah yada yada I know it was lottery money not tax revenues but the same bloody thing) whether they mind flying our national flag in our nation's capital.

noby
16/10/2008, 12:41 PM
I thought it was hanging them over advertising boards was the issue.

Jinxy
16/10/2008, 12:42 PM

What's a soccer flag?

mypost
16/10/2008, 12:50 PM
Would've had eircom park open by now if Bertie and FF had given us as much help as they gave the GAA in redeveloping Croker rather then putting obstacles in the way at every opportunity so Bertie could build the laughable white elephant that Stadium Ireland turned out to be.....

That was the PD's idea to block the stadium.

6 more games, and we'll be back in Lansdowne.

janeymac
16/10/2008, 12:52 PM
Perhaps they should ask the people who paid for most of the place (i.e. the taxpayer - yah yah yada yada I know it was lottery money not tax revenues but the same bloody thing) whether they mind flying our national flag in our nation's capital.

I have no problem with the tricolour flying but I absolutely hate it when it is defaced - so I'd be all for this 'pettyness'. (A Chelsea/Ireland supporting tricolour just doesn't seem right somehow!) I seem to recall a couple of years ago that Guinness had to withdraw outdoor advertising (public complaints, but also said there is a law to prevent defacement of the flag) which featured the tricolour with a pint of guinness in the middle on the white part.

Jinxy
16/10/2008, 12:55 PM
I thought it was hanging them over advertising boards was the issue.

Me too.

p_o_r
16/10/2008, 1:11 PM
I have no problem with the tricolour flying but I absolutely hate it when it is defaced - so I'd be all for this 'pettyness'. (A Chelsea/Ireland supporting tricolour just doesn't seem right somehow!) I seem to recall a couple of years ago that Guinness had to withdraw outdoor advertising (public complaints, but also said there is a law to prevent defacement of the flag) which featured the tricolour with a pint of guinness in the middle on the white part.
I agree

At USA games at the world cup you will see loads of US flags and not a single word of writing on them, it looks really good.

Drumcondra 69er
16/10/2008, 1:15 PM

Was the PD's idea to block Stadium Ireland, not eircom park.

gspain
16/10/2008, 1:37 PM

Only 5 if we win the group. :D

Although I'm sure we'll have a home friendly in November 09 with some major football power. I think Uzbekistan have a free date. :D

gufct
16/10/2008, 1:46 PM
The flags were not covering advertising signs and my friends flag has been at most big GAA Grounds including Croker for Club and All Ireland Finals as has never been removed befor .My own Flag wasnt a tricolour and that was removed the very first game.

They didnt remove either of the Cypriot Flags that had a Chelsea and Spurs Crest or the flages of the other teams we played in the other games at Croker.

geysir
16/10/2008, 1:52 PM
You really should do something about your chronic tendency to replace facts with prejudice when it comes to GAA matters, in this case Croke Park public funding.
Public funding for Croke Pk was paid in stages, up to 40% of the total cost of €265m, add in a few % more if you include Special Olympic money.
New Lansdowne Rd received a promise of €190m out of a planned const costs €290m.
I expect New Lansdowne Road will be owned and run by the IRFU and the FAI. I have not come across any statement that New Lansdowne rd will be run by the IRFU, FAI and the Taxpayer.

Newryrep
16/10/2008, 2:04 PM
A couple of points

I checked with an older stewerd before I hung my small tricolour infront of Block 723 as I had seen the large one (cant mind which) haoging from 2nd tier Hogan. He was dead on about it checked it wasnt blocking any advertising so I went ahead. Noticed the large one in hogan had been removed but didnt pass any comment. Noticed at half time that the flag was draped over the handrail obviously been removed. spoke to the stewerd he said security had removed it :mad: to which I said to him have they nothing better to do ? it wasnt his fault. so I would nt tar all the staff with the same brush

I have 'Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea' (ie Newcastle Co Down) on the flag, I personally dont see it as defacing the flag but each to their own

It would be difficult to write anything on an american flag with all those stripes.

noby
16/10/2008, 2:17 PM
I personally dont see it as defacing the flag

Really? What's your definition of defacing so? Whether you consider it an issue or not it's still defacing.

gspain
16/10/2008, 2:35 PM
You really should do something about your chronic tendency to replace facts with prejudice when it comes to GAA matters, in this case Croke Park public funding.
Public funding for Croke Pk was paid in stages, up to 40% of the total cost of €265m, add in a few % more if you include Special Olympic money.
New Lansdowne Rd received a promise of €190m out of a planned const costs €290m.
I expect New Lansdowne Road will be owned and run by the IRFU and the FAI. I have not come across any statement that New Lansdowne rd will be run by the IRFU, FAI and the Taxpayer.

Wasn't the total €160 million for Croke Park including lottery and exchequer funding? I can't find confirmation of that (and it may include the promise from Bertie) but i'm pretty sure that was the total being mentioned.

The FAI and IRFU open their grounds to everybody (and always have). It would have been much cheaper for the government to invest in one national stadium open to all

The GAA may have moved on a lot from the days of spreading broken glass on football goalmouths and expelling Liam Brady from school for captaining his country but they still have a long way to go to just being another sporting organisation.

mypost
16/10/2008, 2:44 PM
Only 5 if we win the group. :D

Although I'm sure we'll have a home friendly in November 09 with some major football power. I think Uzbekistan have a free date. :D

4 group games and next month = 5. Play off or friendly next year = 6, and then the GAA can get back to living in their 1916 mindset.

Jinxy
16/10/2008, 3:17 PM
It'll be no harm when soccer moves back across the river again. Dull, lifeless games with zero atmosphere. It's a waste of a great stadium frankly. Not a patch on a big GAA or rugby game.

NeilMcD
16/10/2008, 3:20 PM
What like a Leinster Hurling Final with 17,000 at it then or the two rubbish games at Croke Park last season in the rugby.

Jinxy
16/10/2008, 3:24 PM
I said "big" GAA or rugby game.

Newryrep
16/10/2008, 3:42 PM
Really? What's your definition of defacing so? Whether you consider it an issue or not it's still defacing.

Well since you ask ...........something which devalues the flag or hijacking it for commercial purposes. eg the Guiness promotion a while back

I dont think my flag does either unless you think I work for the Newcastle tourist board ?

Schumi
16/10/2008, 3:50 PM
It'll be no harm when soccer moves back across the river again.Amen. I'll be delighted to be rid of that poxy stadium with the stands miles away from the pitch.

jbyrne
16/10/2008, 5:56 PM
Amen. I'll be delighted to be rid of that poxy stadium with the stands miles away from the pitch.

went past the new lansdowne yesterday and its really taking shape. cant wait

Bohemian1890
16/10/2008, 6:03 PM
:oThe guy who owns that should not even be allowed into games.

Karl Phillips
16/10/2008, 8:22 PM

Have to agree with this comment. It really saddens me to see this, our Tricolour with the name of Pubs on it, what has the publican ever done for the LOI. The fact it is almost a badge of pride to say I drink somewhere watch the telly dont support the local game and now I want to display this to all and sundry, it makes us a laughing stock. PS also seen that Chelsea flag and I thought Typical!!!!!!!!

paul_oshea
16/10/2008, 8:53 PM
those bloody gah boys, with their burnt red necks and their thick culchie accents, i hate the gah, if there was no gah there would be no wars, if there was no gah there would be no environment issue, heck if there was no gah there would be no george bush, heck if there was no gah we would be playing away games constantly and the craic would be ninety. I hate the gah.

pete
16/10/2008, 9:21 PM
Amen. I'll be delighted to be rid of that poxy stadium with the stands miles away from the pitch.

That is part of the reason I don't go to Croke park any more. LOI fan seat were worse in the ground.

Took me 1 hour to get home last night leaving work at 7pm when normally would take 20 minutes. Lansdowne never disrupted traffic as much as Croke Park & numbers along does not explain. Only the GAA would be allow extend stadium to 70k+ without parking or public transport.

Ash
17/10/2008, 7:30 AM
That is part of the reason I don't go to Croke park any more. LOI fan seat were worse in the ground.

Took me 1 hour to get home last night leaving work at 7pm when normally would take 20 minutes. Lansdowne never disrupted traffic as much as Croke Park & numbers along does not explain. Only the GAA would be allow extend stadium to 70k+ without parking or public transport.

Took me an hour and a half to get home after the match ... but seeing as I was driving to Athlone thats not so bad :)

Schumi
17/10/2008, 9:32 AM
Took me about 3 hours, traffic was brutal around the bar. :D

Bluechip
20/10/2008, 9:58 AM

Tell that to the people who live on the southside when there was a match on. Yes, matches in landsdowne didn't effect traffic in Drumcondra but it had just as much an impact.

Jicked
22/10/2008, 7:17 PM
Tell that to the people who live on the southside when there was a match on. Yes, matches in landsdowne didn't effect traffic in Drumcondra but it had just as much an impact.
As someone who lives near enough Lansdowne, you're completely wrong. LR allowed traffic to filter out in all directions, and twenty minutes after a game the worst of the traffic was usually over. As Croker is smack in the middle of town, congestion from it is awful, clogging up the city for hours, and with no helpful traffic calming measures, or parking available. I despise Croker, can't wait to be out of the hole.

pete
22/10/2008, 10:35 PM
As someone who lives near enough Lansdowne, you're completely wrong. LR allowed traffic to filter out in all directions, and twenty minutes after a game the worst of the traffic was usually over. As Croker is smack in the middle of town, congestion from it is awful, clogging up the city for hours, and with no helpful traffic calming measures, or parking available. I despise Croker, can't wait to be out of the hole.

Well said. Even for the games with the terraces open Lansdowne did not reduce Ballsbridge to gridlock. Because of its location it encouraged people to use public transport.

Jinxy
22/10/2008, 11:52 PM
The fact that it was only half the size of Croke Park probably helped a bit too.

jbyrne
23/10/2008, 7:51 AM
Even for the games with the terraces open Lansdowne did not reduce Ballsbridge to gridlock

yes it did. on match day trying to get through blackrock, booterstown and D4 before a match was a nightmare in bus or car while i was traveling through the south city.

Because of its location it encouraged people to use public transport.

croke pk is in city ctre dublin serviced by many buses, luas and dart... does that not encourage people to travel by public transport?

reder
23/10/2008, 8:10 AM
Cant wait to get out of the place. Horrible soulless bowl of a ground. Why dont we bring along all of flags and banners for the last game there and flood the place with them? I was looking back on some of our games in Lansdowne and it was great to see the front of the east stand covered in flags and banners.

It just complete anti-irish football. I havent heard of one away support flag being removed from the ground. Im sure the away stand will be full of polish flags next month.

paul_oshea
23/10/2008, 8:47 AM
jbryne croke park prohibits everything because of those bloody GAA buggers, thought you knew this?!