PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Cyprus - Wednesday, 15th October 2008 - World Cup 2010 Q

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Littlest Hobo
09/10/2008, 11:44 PM
which XI would you start?
I have my team and the one I think Trap will put out...

Hobo's XI

Given
Mc Shane - Dunne - O 'Shea - Kilbane
Mc Geady - A. Reid - Whelan - Duff
Keane - Doyle

Traps XI

Given
O'Shea - Dunne - Mc Shane - Kilbane
Mc Geady - Miller - Whelan - Duff
Keane - Doyle

:ball:

Colbert Report
09/10/2008, 11:52 PM
Please God he keeps Miller out of the team and McShane away from the centre of defense! I agree with Hobo's XI.

Claret Murph
10/10/2008, 7:28 AM
Please God he keeps Miller out of the team and McShane away from the centre of defense! I agree with Hobo's XI.

How many times must we say this McShane and Miller should never play for Ireland again , maybe I see a different game plan then other people .

third policeman
10/10/2008, 7:42 AM
How many times must we say this McShane and Miller should never play for Ireland again , maybe I see a different game plan then other people .

I'm defo seeing it your way. I think 99.9% of people who watch football would go for Reid and Foley.

Razors left peg
10/10/2008, 7:48 AM
I'm defo seeing it your way. I think 99.9% of people who watch football would go for Reid and Foley.

I must be the .1% so, would have McShane at right back ahead of an untried Foley. McShane has played well for us in the past and is playing well for Hull at the moment. He just needs to learn to calm down a bit because that is what leads to him making mistakes.

dr_peepee
10/10/2008, 8:45 AM
McShane deserves better than what he's getting on this thread...

ifk101
10/10/2008, 8:52 AM
Given
McShane, Dunne, JoSh, Kilbane,
McGeady, Whelan, Miller, Duff,
Doyle, Keane.

I think Miller's place in the team is the only one up for grabs.

as_i_say
10/10/2008, 8:58 AM
yeah agreed mcshane for right back. but i mean thats only cos we dont have anyone else half decent. i think his spurt of good form is entirely related to the cutting of his dulux dog fringe thus enabling him to actually see whats in front of him.

Duggie
10/10/2008, 9:38 AM
which XI would you start?
I have my team and the one I think Trap will put out...

Hobo's XI

Given
Mc Shane - Dunne - O 'Shea - Kilbane
Keane - Doyle

Traps XI

Given
O'Shea - Dunne - Mc Shane - Kilbane
Mc Geady - Miller - Whelan - Duff
Keane - Doyle

:ball:

same as this, 1st team is my choice aswell but 2nd team will prob start. hope he keeps o'shea in central defence though with mcshane in at right back.

amjl
10/10/2008, 10:26 AM
I'd agree with the hobo's 1st team except for maybe Joey O'Brien or Kevin Foley @ right back but I'd say Traps team will be as above.

shakermaker1982
10/10/2008, 11:14 AM
How I'd line up:

Given

McShane-Dunne-O'Shea-Kilbane

McGeady-Whelan-A Reid-Duff

Keane-Doyle

Stuttgart88
10/10/2008, 11:46 AM
McShane deserves better than what he's getting on this thread...

Agree, but not Miller!

Duggie
10/10/2008, 12:01 PM
its not really that i have a problem with miller but with him and whelan in midfield there is absolutely no creativity in the central area. whatsoever !
andy with whelan with whelan holding. i dont see the grey area here. trap must really really not like andy for some reason.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2008, 12:12 PM
My issue with Miller & Whelan is more the lack of physicality. They were gobbled alive by Columbia, admittedly a very big & athletic midfield. The two wide guys are physically unimposing as well so there could be a huge gap between defence and the attack with the ball just failing to stick.

Andy Reid is no great athlete either but he protects the ball way better than Miller and uses it way better. It's a far better bet in my opinion to play Reid & Whelan.

geysir
10/10/2008, 12:18 PM
Also Andy Reid, probably by now, needs a good runabout more than Miller.

Claret Murph
10/10/2008, 12:29 PM
I'll tell yer I could cry everytime I see Miller coming on but if he was to start I think I will bring a noose with me on Wednesday night :(

NeilMcD
10/10/2008, 12:47 PM
Do not rule out Keith Andrews making a start.

Duggie
10/10/2008, 12:51 PM
Do not rule out Keith Andrews making a start.

i just did ;)

Newryrep
10/10/2008, 12:57 PM
Think Trap will play Mc Shane as a direct replacement for Finnan the other 3 positions will stay the same for some continuity

Not convinced about Miller but not overly convinced by A Reid either in games that matter but will probably go with Reid for the extra experience/better ability in midfield.

Duff for Hunt

3 points in the bag please God roll on Georgia in Feb

third policeman
10/10/2008, 1:12 PM
I have never been a fan of Hunt (slight understatement perhaps), but I have got to admit that he is looking good for Reading at the minute. I would actually consider him ahead of Miller for the S.Reid role. He can carry the ball forward, play simple passes and is capable of harrying and closing down opponents. He has a lot more presence than Miller and might actually be more effective coming forward from a central position than he has been on the wing.

Trap likes him, and there is no way that we can afford to leave out Duff or McGeady, it might just be the surprise selection (please God anyone other than Miller).

NeilMcD
10/10/2008, 1:28 PM
Nah, one thing a midfielder in the centre needs is the ability or knowledge to let the ball do the work. Hunt is the opposite of this. The limitations that he shows on the wing would be heighten even more in the middle, the same way it did with Kilbane. The only way it would work is if you wanted someone to get on to their holding midfielder the way Kilbane did in Paris. But he would have no ability to construct anything whatsoever and at home to Cyprus this would be a disaster and even worse than Miller.

I am not fan of Miller and I would have Andy Reid in the team.

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2008, 1:39 PM
I have never been a fan of Hunt (slight understatement perhaps), but I have got to admit that he is looking good for Reading at the minute. I would actually consider him ahead of Miller for the S.Reid role. He can carry the ball forward, play simple passes and is capable of harrying and closing down opponents. He has a lot more presence than Miller and might actually be more effective coming forward from a central position than he has been on the wing.

Trap likes him, and there is no way that we can afford to leave out Duff or McGeady, it might just be the surprise selection (please God anyone other than Miller).

Miller's main problem apart from being weak is that he over hits his passes. Watch the amount of times he plays a through ball and it either goes over the byeline or straight to the opposing keeper. Hunt at least will get stuck in and carrys a greater goal threat than Miller and Trap might play him. My own choice would be A.Reid simply because he knows where to put the ball for Keane and Doyle.

tetsujin1979
10/10/2008, 1:47 PM
Folan, Stokes, Gibson, Andrews and Foley all called into the senior squad: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3682

There's no way Trap is ever going to pick Hunt in the Steven Reid position, simply because he can't tackle for nuts

tetsujin1979
10/10/2008, 1:51 PM
Good article on football365, about how this game will be used to measure the progress of the team so far under Trapattoni: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8750_4276277,00.html

Duggie
10/10/2008, 1:57 PM

are u off ur head man, hunt for central midfield. :rolleyes: thank God duffer is back to replace hunt thats all i say.

Rambling Along
10/10/2008, 2:12 PM
Given
Foley - Dunne - O 'Shea - Kilbane
Keane - Doyle

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2008, 2:25 PM
Trap's comments today seem to suggest that Folan is third choice forward behind Keane and Doyle and could well come off the bench if we are struggling. Trap was very impressed with how Folan played last night. Quick feet good in the air puts himself about and can hold the ball up. Great to have that option.

third policeman
10/10/2008, 2:42 PM
are u off ur head man, hunt for central midfield. :rolleyes: thank God duffer is back to replace hunt thats all i say.

Yes I fear I am, but that's the effect of thinking through the consequences of Liam Miller being selected. You're right its a mad idea.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2008, 3:17 PM
I don't think Hunt has anything like the touch, vision, composure or passing ability for CM and certainly not at international level.

His attributes are his tenacity and a good delivery from the left.

The Staunton era was typified by square pegs in round holes and picking Hunt in CM would be a continution of this flawed logic.

Duggie
10/10/2008, 3:38 PM
hunt should only be used as a sub, after his last performance id consider dropping him from the squad.

tetsujin1979
10/10/2008, 3:45 PM
I wouldn't drop him from the squad, I just wouldn't start him if Duff and McGeady are available

Duggie, who would you bring in to replace him in the squad?

NeilMcD
10/10/2008, 3:46 PM
I have a feeling that some guys get punished by the fans for being more in the public eye as in Mc Shane or Hunt.

I am not a huge fan of eithers ability but both have great guts and determination. But they are the sort of guys that really go from heroes to zeros in no time.

Both deserve to be in the squad, no more and no less.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2008, 3:54 PM
There's no place for that type of balanced opinion around these parts.

Duggie
10/10/2008, 4:01 PM
mcshane is fine in my eyes

Closed Account
10/10/2008, 4:10 PM
mcshane is fine in my eyes
http://img.skysports.com/08/01/218x298/Paul_McShane_628424.jpg
If thats what your into........

irishfan86
10/10/2008, 5:43 PM
I think you've picked his team dead on Hobo.

If I was managing, I'd go with Andrews and Whelan in midfield. As mentioned by someone else, Andrews is the closest we've got to Stephen Reid in terms of athleticism and style of play.

I'd be worried about Whelan and Andy Reid being overrun. I'm a huge Reid fan and will be happy for him if he gets the nod against Cyprus, but with some of their athletic players in midfield it may not be the best option for us in the end.

If Andrews steps out of the wilderness and into the starting lineup ahead of Andy Reid, I'll really feel for him though.

If he doesn't start this game, he probably never will this campaign barring injury to Robbie.

richieos
10/10/2008, 8:24 PM
if andy reid doesnt start this game, hes gonna be a permanent benchwarmer for trap. trap is a genius but i dont see the logic behind the selection of miller, although didnt 90% of irish fans say the same thing about whelan? maybe trap can get the best out of miller. anyway, we have to trust him, even with miller in midfield we should be looking to beat cyprus, we had graham kavanagh in midfield last time we beat them at home.

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2008, 9:24 PM
Sunderland v Arsenal midfield Walcott (Bendtner 66), Denilson (Nasri 73), Fabregas, Song Billong (Vela 87), Van Persie

Reid had a good game against a 5 man Arsenal midfield which is some way better than the Cypriot's. Duff and McGeady both cover back so there is no chance of us getting over run this time. Remember Reid's man of the match performance against the German's. He should be in the starting eleven for this game.

tetsujin1979
10/10/2008, 9:27 PM
Didn't Reid play on the left wing in that game?

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2008, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=tetsujin1979;1037636]Didn't Reid play on the left wing in that game?[/QUOTE

He played on the left side of a 5 man midfield but not on the wing. Very similiar to the position S.Reid played against Montenegro. Sunderland's game plan was to make sure Arsenal could not get in behind their full backs and Reid played his part in restricting Arsenal to 2 real chances from open play for the entire game (Gordon save from Van persie and the disallowed goal). Reid doubled up with mcCartney so well that Walcott was taken off.

richieos
11/10/2008, 12:04 AM
when did s.reid play against macedonia?

Noelys Guitar
11/10/2008, 2:33 AM
when did s.reid play against macedonia?

Just after my 8th pint Richieos!

Condex
11/10/2008, 9:52 AM
I don't think Hunt has anything like the touch, vision, composure or passing ability for CM and certainly not at international level.

His attributes are his tenacity and a good delivery from the left.

The Staunton era was typified by square pegs in round holes and picking Hunt in CM would be a continution of this flawed logic.

Hunt has the touch of a rapist..:D

NeilMcD
11/10/2008, 11:59 AM
A not very caring rapist at that either.

Noelys Guitar
11/10/2008, 12:36 PM
I have to disagree with the coments about Hunts 'touch' and whether he can play in the center of midfield. I thought Hunt played OK against Montenegro considering he was played out of position (on the right wing) and he has never been a starting first choice for us. Playing in center midfield would be nothing new for Hunt as he often drifts into midfield playng for Reading. He creates a lot of chances for Doyle. And he is scoring on a regular basis for Reading. Miller, Whelan and Reid have 2 goals between them for their club sides.

bwagner
11/10/2008, 2:42 PM
some of the lads were in Krsytal last night

kingdomkerry
11/10/2008, 3:08 PM
Is Coppers not good enough for them?

irishultra
11/10/2008, 4:00 PM
anyone able to remember last time ireland scored from a corner? Dunne against Cyprus in that game?

NeilMcD
11/10/2008, 4:02 PM
Stephen Staunton against Northern Ireland at LR.

tricky_colour
11/10/2008, 9:33 PM
some of the lads were in Krsytal last night

Who??

I corrected the spelling and google search on images :D