PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Cyprus - Wednesday, 15th October 2008 - World Cup 2010 Q

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Noelys Guitar
11/10/2008, 8:38 PM
So Carsley is still in Trap's plans according to the Setanta crew

NeilMcD
11/10/2008, 8:42 PM
Yeah sure trap said that last week.

hula4
11/10/2008, 10:31 PM
some of the lads were in Krsytal last night

so??

the non internationals must have to stay away from harcourt st, sean dillon and wayne henderson were in boomerangs

BigmanCas
12/10/2008, 10:36 AM
I have never been a fan of Hunt (slight understatement perhaps), but I have got to admit that he is looking good for Reading at the minute. I would actually consider him ahead of Miller for the S.Reid role. He can carry the ball forward, play simple passes and is capable of harrying and closing down opponents. He has a lot more presence than Miller and might actually be more effective coming forward from a central position than he has been on the wing.

Trap likes him, and there is no way that we can afford to leave out Duff or McGeady, it might just be the surprise selection (please God anyone other than Miller).

Complete and utter nonsense. Again, he is a nothin player with zero ability doin ok in the championship - stop mentioning him as havin an irish international future as it is negative in every meaning of the word.

L37Ultra
12/10/2008, 11:46 AM
My team: Names in bold are players who should def start.

Given

O,Shea, McShane, Dunne, Kilbane

McGeady, A.Reid, Whelan, Duff

Keane, Doyle

kingdomkerry
12/10/2008, 11:55 AM
O'Shea will be centre back. Fact.

L37Ultra
12/10/2008, 11:58 AM
O'Shea will be centre back. Fact.

Who right back then? Finnan ans Kelly are out.

FarBeag
12/10/2008, 12:00 PM
O'Shea has to start at Centre back.He has done well there this campaign so far so why move him?

Scram
12/10/2008, 12:14 PM
O'Shea has to start at Centre back.He has done well there this campaign so far so why move him?

L37 Ultra is correct and I would say obviously correct, McShane is not a right or left back. O'Shea will be at right back.

Also. O'Shea's recent performances at centre back are overrated.

kingdomkerry
12/10/2008, 12:19 PM
No they are not O'Shea was oustanding in our last 2 games. He made one tackle against Montenegro that Paul McGrath would be proud of.

irishultra
12/10/2008, 12:20 PM
Yes, and to suggest otherwise is crap. He has been terrific so far.

shakermaker1982
12/10/2008, 1:05 PM
I don't think we should tinker around with our centre back pairing. They need game time to build up a good understanding and I hope the Trap doesn't move O'Shea out to the right. McShane has been solid at RB for Hull this season and should be able to slot in. If the Trap doesn't have confidence in him at this stage then he can can slot Foley in. O'Shea has shown aggression and a new found willingness under the new Trap regime and seems to have improved as a player. Long may it continue.

12/10/2008, 1:08 PM
Agreed i think trap has found his centre back pairing in O Shea and Dunne and i would be very surprised if he tinkered about with this....

sligofan4ever
12/10/2008, 1:20 PM
Is Stephen Reid available for this match ?

Given
Delaney? Dunne O' Shea Kilbane
McGeady S Reid/Whelan A Reid Duff
Doyle Keane

12/10/2008, 1:27 PM
Is Stephen Reid available for this match ?

Given
Delaney? Dunne O' Shea Kilbane
McGeady S Reid/Whelan A Reid Duff
Doyle Keane

According to premierleague.com he's still injured and expected back in October so im not sure... with all this talk of miller and A reidy i presume not.....

sligofan4ever
12/10/2008, 1:33 PM
According to premierleague.com he's still injured and expected back in October so im not sure... with all this talk of miller and A reidy i presume not.....

I hope Trap dosn't let him into the starting line-up, let alone the subs bench. He scored a lovely goal against Sweden in Stauntons first managerial match but after that he was muck for every other game.

12/10/2008, 1:41 PM
I hope Trap dosn't let him into the starting line-up, let alone the subs bench. He scored a lovely goal against Sweden in Stauntons first managerial match but after that he was muck for every other game.

I really dont rate him either but i would have said the same about Whelan before the trip to Mainz...

sligofan4ever
12/10/2008, 1:54 PM
He's making a good name for himself for the national team, 2 MOTM awards in row, I hadnt rated him either until I seen him play Georgia. Hopefully after saying that he wont turn out to be another Liam Miller though.

L37Ultra
12/10/2008, 1:59 PM
Yes, and to suggest otherwise is crap. He has been terrific so far.

Agreed, he was excellent in the last few games at centre back but the matter of the fact is with both Finnan and Kelly out we don't have any other option at right back. Maybe delaney but McShane is not and should not be a right back. He does not have the pace.

irishultra
12/10/2008, 2:06 PM
well im not totally against JOS going to right back, but scam said that O'Shea's performances have been overrated which is not giving the guy his dues.

aidz1
12/10/2008, 2:41 PM
Woudnt break up the centre half partnership. they have started really well in this group, long may it continue.

i'd have mcshane in at RB. Finnan-Kelly-McShane would be my order for RB at present. At least mcshane will give his all for the cause, he has taken a lot of knocks but repeatidly gets back up. I admire his drive. I still reckon he could end up a very good defender in the future.

duff in for hunt on the left.

the centre midfield is the biggest worry. whelan done no wrong last month, but has he played for his club since? that is a concern. i'd probably have o'brien and reid/hunt. trap will go for whelan and a.n.other.

i'd go given; mcshane, dunne, o'shea, kilbane; mcgeady, o'brien, reid, duff; doyle, keane.

donalmcdonagh
12/10/2008, 3:33 PM
Have to say their has been some ridiculus suggestions for our team and in particular the CM pairing. Andy Reid should not start in place of S Reid. One of the reason's we got walloped in Cypris last time is becasue we had no strength in the middle. Reid wont bring this, Miller will bring a lot more in this department. I think A Reid should be our impact sub and not Hunt, Reid is a better player than Hunt. Hunt has had his chance I feel. Our wingers should be Duff and McGeady and if McGeady doesnt get his act together then haul him off and let A Reid take his place, for the future qualifiers aswell, then McGeady coudl be used as an impact sub if A Reid starts.
All in all I think a mid field containing Whelan, A Reid, Duff and McGeady has nowhere near enough strength. Its straight forward, and Trap will make as few changes as possible...McShane for Finnan, Miller for Reid. McGeady and Duff on the wings. The rest picks itself.......I hope for a 3-1......we are gathering momentum

FarBeag
12/10/2008, 3:51 PM
L37 Ultra is correct and I would say obviously correct, McShane is not a right or left back. O'Shea will be at right back.

Also. O'Shea's recent performances at centre back are overrated.

The only thing I agree with you on is that McShane should not be playing at right back and he should not be playing in the centre either. When was the last time he played there and when he did he messed up every time apart from a couple of decent games for us and Sunderland? I like McShane but I think he is prone to too many errors. It has taken a long time for O’Shea to show us his potential and he did this with style on his last two outings for us. In what way were these two performances overrated?He is a much better defender than McShane imo. I am worried about the right back and the centre of midfield positions with both McShane and Miller probably starting but leave O’Shea where he is please.

FarBeag
12/10/2008, 4:08 PM
McShane for Finnan, Miller for Reid.

I would not have McShane in for Finnan personally myself but I think this will happen. Now, why you think Miller should be ahead of A Reid is astonishing. Miller is horrendous, he is too light weight and makes too many wrong decisions.When he came on in the last 10 minutes against Georgia he got us into trouble straight away by trying to dribble a ball out of defence.If you think he will bring more strength to midfield then I am even more flabbergasted. He has played one good game for us and that was against Sweden where he scored a decent goal.He should not be in the squad let alone the first team.

third policeman
12/10/2008, 4:31 PM
At the risk of sounding totally repetetive the big worry with the current squad (notwithstanding McShane) is the midfield. I simply cannot understand the thought process that results in Miller being selected for this game. I am prepared to believe that he looks really impressive in training and shows he's got the right attitude etc etc. I can understand that even a coach with Trapp's experience and limited knowledge of our players, might be taken in by the training ground evidence. But I cannot understand why someone like Brady, or Givens (maybe I can understand in his case) doesn't come forward and say "Actually boss he's never played a decent game for Ireland and has probably never played a decent game at any serious level since he left Celtic".

Qwerty
12/10/2008, 4:59 PM
Well the situation more than the thought process is as follows S.Reid is injured and so is Carsley whom Trapp enquired about before the Cyprus game.

Trapp likes to play 2 defensive & physical players in midfield, get used to it, this is not going to change. Trapp is like Charlton, he focuses on the team and tactics more so than individuals. He is quite happy to sacrifice individual players who may be 'better' than their replacement if the end result is a better team.

Trapp has looked at his options and brought through Whelan already. Miller was in from the beginning for whatever reason but I would think that in promoting Andrews and Gibson from the B team that Miller will be phased out, but he will probably play in this game as he is more experienced, knows how Trapp wants to play and is 'safer' than A.Reid.

It's good to have Duff back and we will need him, the Cyprus game won't be easy.

NeilMcD
12/10/2008, 6:39 PM
Anybody think that Joey O Brien would be better than Liam Miller and playing the role that Trap wants from his central midfield pairing. Joey O Brien is physically the most like Stephen Reid but I do know he did not have a great game against the same team last year. Just a thought that Miller is not the most physical of players and that even Keith Andrews would seem to fit into Traps type of central midfielder than Miller would.

thepiedpiper
12/10/2008, 6:40 PM
First post on this excellent site. Some interesting discussions on here. For Wednesday I think Trap will go for the team as outlined on the first post of this thread (Given, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea, Kilbane, Duff, Whelan, Miller, McGeady, Keane, Doyle).
I went to training ground in Malahide yesterday. Some training ground pics from it are here. (Media was banned at this stage but pictures were taken my member on the site from a good vantage point).
http://thefreekick.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=13234&page=5

third policeman
12/10/2008, 7:01 PM
Trapp has looked at his options and brought through Whelan already. Miller was in from the beginning for whatever reason but I would think that in promoting Andrews and Gibson from the B team that Miller will be phased out, but he will probably play in this game as he is more experienced, knows how Trapp wants to play and is 'safer' than A.Reid.

Youre right. Miller, Whelan, Gibson, Potter are in contention because they have become part of the squad and its too late to take chances on the likes of Garvan, McCann, O'Toole, at this stage. But at what point will we start to give ourselves better options by replacing substandard players with ones who look like they have the makings of decent Premiership and international players? Promoting Andrews is frankly absurd. He is picked because Paul Ince brought him to Blackburn (mainly to warm the bench). This does not make him a better player than when he was with MK Dons or when he was struggling at Wolves, it just makaes him more noticable. I think that the big problem with our set-up at the minute is that the management team do not seem to know enough about our players outside the premiership. Whelan, Andrews, Folan, Stokes, Murphy, Gibson, Miller get picked because they are with premiership clubs, but they are not actually playing very much football.

Qwerty
12/10/2008, 7:08 PM
Anybody think that Joey O Brien would be better than Liam Miller and playing the role that Trap wants from his central midfield pairing. Joey O Brien is physically the most like Stephen Reid but I do know he did not have a great game against the same team last year. Just a thought that Miller is not the most physical of players and that even Keith Andrews would seem to fit into Traps type of central midfielder than Miller would.

My impression from media reports is taht Trapp only watches DVDs of international games and doesn't watch Irish players live. So he will have seen O'Brien play poorly against Cyprus in midfield and somewhat better as center back against Germany. He has 3 caps so I think Miller's 'experience' will shade it, his distribution should:rolleyes: also be better. Basically we have limited option and it's jsut a coin flip.

eirebhoy
12/10/2008, 8:02 PM
some of the lads were in Krsytal last night
I saw one player on Harcourt st at about half 2. Must have been a late training session yesterday. :)

My impression from media reports is taht Trapp only watches DVDs of international games and doesn't watch Irish players live. So he will have seen O'Brien play poorly against Cyprus in midfield and somewhat better as center back against Germany. He has 3 caps so I think Miller's 'experience' will shade it, his distribution should:rolleyes: also be better. Basically we have limited option and it's jsut a coin flip.
He's been to a few games this season. He must have been to watch Man City 2 or 3 times anyway.

thepiedpiper
12/10/2008, 8:10 PM
I saw one player on Harcourt st at about half 2. Must have been a late training session yesterday. :)

He's been to a few games this season. He must have been to watch Man City 2 or 3 times anyway.

what player was that?

seanfhear
13/10/2008, 1:32 PM
This is going to be a test for Trapatoni as he is missing his lynchpin player(stephen reid)for the first time in the qualifers and we are not blessed with top quality players in that position.

Its not that I want to build up Cyprus but we have to acknowledge that for a country that does not have a big population they have a very good team(for their level)at the moment.They have given hard games to stronger footballing nations than Ireland over the last few years(mostly at home admittedly)

Irish fans have to be patient and give the team encouragement and also realize that this present Cyprus team are no pushover.Being a small country ourselves we shoul realise that sometimes a group of players come along and give a country a team above expectations.I think Cyprus have this at the moment.We have to show any team the respect they deserve.

I would be happy with a victory.An early goal for us and a clean sheet would be just what the doctor ordered.

NeilMcD
13/10/2008, 1:50 PM
Interesting to read that very few if any of the Cypriot team in the Champions League play for Cyprus, they are all mostly foreign based players.

paul_oshea
13/10/2008, 2:11 PM
which are they cypriot team or the cypriot champions league team? if the cypriot team have foreign based players that are capable of getting them to a CL group stage surely some within the EL should be able do the same

tetsujin1979
13/10/2008, 2:28 PM
Doyle interviewed on Sky Sports: http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,12606_4306906,00.html

NeilMcD
13/10/2008, 2:31 PM
which are they cypriot team or the cypriot champions league team? if the cypriot team have foreign based players that are capable of getting them to a CL group stage surely some within the EL should be able do the same

What are you talking about Paul. The Cypriot team in the Champions League is made up of loads of foreign based players. Do you know how much debt they have gone into to achieve this. Would you recommend that one of the Eircom League teams goes and spends loads of money on foreign players just to get into the Champions League.

I know the Romanian team have a rich benefactor not sure about the Cypriot team do or not.

Ordinary Fan
13/10/2008, 2:41 PM
O'Shea will play right full and McShane CB, the same line up as Trap's first game in charge. Miller in Midfield for Reid and Duff for Hunt.
I would have Foley at right full and leave O'Shea at CB and play A.Reid in midfield, weare at home ffs.

Boring game, 2:0 or 2:1 if the wingers are on their game.

Trap's attitude is don' get beat.
As long as he keeps getting the results, I suppose that is OK, but this attitude sunk us under Kerr.

Sligo Hornet
13/10/2008, 2:41 PM
What are you talking about Paul. The Cypriot team in the Champions League is made up of loads of foreign based players. Do you know how much debt they have gone into to achieve this. Would you recommend that one of the Eircom League teams goes and spends loads of money on foreign players just to get into the Champions League.

I know the Romanian team have a rich benefactor not sure about the Cypriot team do or not.

Yes but only Bohs!;)

NeilMcD
13/10/2008, 2:47 PM
Ahhh don't go there, will see how the court case goes this week. Sure look at Shels and Drogheda and Bohs could be following them.

tetsujin1979
13/10/2008, 2:50 PM
O'Shea will play right full and McShane CB, the same line up as Trap's first game in charge.So what? He's played at centre half for the last 3 games in a row, and looked solid. He's not going to change that to try out a new formation in a competitive game.

Trap's attitude is don' get beat.
As long as he keeps getting the results, I suppose that is OK, but this attitude sunk us under Kerr.That was Kerr's gameplan, but under Kerr we rarely looked like winning. Under Trap we're far more organised, composed and methodical in the build up, and more likely to create chances.

NeilMcD
13/10/2008, 3:00 PM
Too early to say whether this is going to be better than kerr as under Kerr we started well but it turned pear shaped. I am confident and hopeful and supportive of Trap but I was the same for Kerr too.

Torn-Ado
13/10/2008, 4:43 PM
What time is KO for this game?

Cloggs
13/10/2008, 5:32 PM
What time is KO for this game?

7.45pm i think

Stuttgart88
13/10/2008, 5:36 PM
My exact thinking too.

gspain
14/10/2008, 3:16 PM
Word I've heard is that Darron Gibson starts in central midfield.

He did have a very good game last Thursday.

I stress only a rumour.

drummerboy
14/10/2008, 3:19 PM
Would be a huge surprise if he was selected to start.

NeilMcD
14/10/2008, 3:20 PM
I had a feeling that someone more physical than Miller would start. I thought it would be Joey O'Brien and even mentioned Andrews but I think Gibson would be a huge gamble but it does fit into Trappatoni's view that he wants a physical central midfield that has its emphasis on destruction rather than construction.

co. down green
14/10/2008, 3:26 PM
According to this (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=581594&sec=worldcup2010&cc=5739) Gibson or Andrews might play some part in the game

But the Italian has admitted Darron Gibson and Keith Andrews, who were drafted into the full squad after turning in good displays in the B side's 2-0 victory over Nottingham Forest last week, have also given him food for thought.

He said: "In midfield, I have ideas. But after tomorrow, I will have to speak again with the players.

"They have all been good, every midfielder. I am finding it very difficult to choose because they are all good.

"They are in very good condition at the moment."

Asked if Manchester United's Gibson or Andrews of Blackburn could be involved, Trapattoni added: "Maybe. One, maybe.

Duggie
14/10/2008, 3:45 PM
i think its to big a game to put gibson in, maybe in the future. for tomorow id still go with miller when he isnt going to play andy reid.