PDA

View Full Version : Oasis for Slane 2009.

holidaysong
15/10/2008, 2:25 PM
Oasis have officially confirmed that they are to play Slane Castle on Saturday, June 20th.

Guitarist and principal songwriter Noel Gallagher and fellow guitarist Gem Archer flew in by helicopter to Slane this afternoon as part of the launch for the gig which will be one of the biggest of the band's career with a potential audience of around 80,000.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1015/breaking43.htm

Neish
15/10/2008, 9:14 PM
Any word on who the support acts will be? Wouldn't be too pushed to see Oasis but if there were a few decent support acts I would consider it

Rambling Along
15/10/2008, 11:34 PM
Will definetley try to make that!

First Coldplay on the 22nd December in the O2 though!

The Optimist
16/10/2008, 9:53 PM
Any word on who the support acts will be? Wouldn't be too pushed to see Oasis but if there were a few decent support acts I would consider it

OASIS will undertake their biggest ever tour of open air venues in the UK and Ireland next summer. It includes two dates at the iconic new Wembley Stadium as well as the promised homecoming shows over two nights in Manchester's Heaton Park. The tour will also see the band's first ever visit to Sunderland's Stadium of Light, a welcome return to both Murrayfield and Cardiff's Millennium Stadium and their first headline performance at Ireland’s Slane Castle.

The full details of the stadium tour are below:

Saturday 06 June 2009: MANCHESTER, Heaton Park
Sunday 07 June 2009: MANCHESTER, Heaton Park
Wednesday 10 June 2009: SUNDERLAND, Stadium of Light
Friday 12 June 2009: CARDIFF, Millennium Stadium
Wednesday 17 June 2009: EDINBURGH, Murrayfield
Saturday 20 June 2009: DUBLIN, Slane Castle
Saturday 11 July 2009: LONDON, Wembley Stadium
Sunday 12 July 2009: LONDON, Wembley Stadium

Oasis will be joined on all the UK dates by special guests Kasabian (http://www.kasabian.co.uk/home/) and The Enemy (http://www.theenemy.com/home.php).

gustavo
16/10/2008, 11:09 PM
Doesnt say who the support for Slane will be though , I'll be there anyway :cool:

holidaysong
17/10/2008, 1:48 PM
Since when is Slane Castle in Dublin?!? :confused:

sligoman
22/10/2008, 12:54 PM
The Prodigy have just been added as very special guests of Oasis at Slane Castle on Saturday 20 June, 2009, subject to license.

Further acts to be announced.

www.mcd.ie

Dodge
22/10/2008, 1:06 PM
Since when is Slane Castle in Dublin?!? :confused:

Fecking FAI no doubt...

RRS

Lev Yashin
22/10/2008, 2:44 PM
any idea of ticket prices??

Neish
22/10/2008, 2:47 PM
The Prodigy have just been added as very special guests of Oasis at Slane Castle on Saturday 20 June, 2009, subject to license.

A lot more intresting with The Prodigy added seen them 3 times and their one of the best live acts out there

Dr. Ogba
22/10/2008, 3:16 PM

Further acts to be announced.

www.mcd.ie

jaysus it'll be a bloody knackfest....

Docboy
22/10/2008, 3:44 PM
Oasis alone would have guaranteed that...

anto1208
23/10/2008, 4:01 PM
Oasis + Prodigy + Slaine = Knack/farmer fest !! Which is good as it will free up the festivals like the year slim shady was ment to play there was a large drop off in knacks at the festivals.

Wouldnt mind going but i just dont think its worth the money nor hassle involved in getting there.

shakermaker1982
24/10/2008, 6:52 AM
a farmer fest?!!!

gustavo
24/10/2008, 7:05 AM
I'm in the queue now :)

McShels
24/10/2008, 7:26 AM
Got mine!! :D:D

lofty9
24/10/2008, 8:50 AM
Still can be got on Ticketmaster

tetsujin1979
24/10/2008, 10:17 AM
tickets still available on ticketmaster

thedoyler
24/10/2008, 2:23 PM
Got mine this morning aswell, should be good. Im also goin to the odyssey next wednesday cant wait

gustavo
27/10/2008, 7:24 PM
mine are seated tickets apparently , will i still be able to go into the standing area?

Wolfie
29/10/2008, 1:19 PM
I was only at Slane on one occasion - The Verve 1998.

Enjoyed the gig but swore I wouldn't take on the hassle of the travel again.

I think Oasis are one for the few bands that might sway me to travel down.

I'm really liking the new album - so a "greatest hits" set mixed with the new album tracks could make for a great gig.

Wolfie
15/06/2009, 12:46 PM
I was only at Slane on one occasion - The Verve 1998.

Enjoyed the gig but swore I wouldn't take on the hassle of the travel again.

I think Oasis are one for the few bands that might sway me to travel down.

I'm really liking the new album - so a "greatest hits" set mixed with the new album tracks could make for a great gig.

I'm heading to the gig. Hopefully it will be worth the hassle of the trek..............................

gustavo
15/06/2009, 3:44 PM
Was there in 99 , I remember enjoying Robbie Williams funnily enough , was my first real concert

I do remember the hassle involved getting there , Left Sligo at 6.30am didn't get back till 6.30 next day.

Still I'll be back there on Saturday 10 years later , Looking forward to seeing Glasvegas and Oasis

Happy Mondays were ****e

15:00 The Blizzards
16:00 Glasvegas
17:30 Kasabian
19:00 The Prodigy
20:30 Oasis

Wolfie
17/06/2009, 12:41 PM
Was there in 99 , I remember enjoying Robbie Williams funnily enough , was my first real concert

I do remember the hassle involved getting there , Left Sligo at 6.30am didn't get back till 6.30 next day.

Still I'll be back there on Saturday 10 years later , Looking forward to seeing Glasvegas and Oasis

Happy Mondays were ****e

Good shout on the timetable - I can synchronise my drinking time outside the venue accordingly!!!

Anyone got any info on the Oasis Set list?

Andy Bell stated a few months ago that they'd resurrected a few songs they had rarely played live.

Apparently "My Big Mouth" was sounding amazing with effectively the "newer" personnel of Gem and Andy ad libbing some subtle changes to the arrangement of the song. Its not made the final cut for the gigs apparently.

Pity - that song has "play in a big field" written all over it.

gustavo
17/06/2009, 12:50 PM
Good shout on the timetable - I can synchronise my drinking time outside the venue accordingly!!!

Anyone got any info on the Oasis Set list?

Andy Bell stated a few months ago that they'd resurrected a few songs they had rarely played live.

Apparently "My Big Mouth" was sounding amazing with effectively the "newer" personnel of Gem and Andy ad libbing some subtle changes to the arrangement of the song. Its not made the final cut for the gigs apparently.

Pity - that song has "play in a big field" written all over it.

I've seen some set-lists for the Summer tour , I think I saw My Big Mouth on the list , I'll have a look

Yea it's there
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2009/heaton-park-manchester-england-2bd61432.html

1. ****in' In The Bushes Play Video
2. Rock 'n' Roll StarAdditional Information: Technical FaultTechnical Fault Play Video
3. LylaAdditional Information: Technical FaultTechnical Fault Play Video
4. The Shock Of The Lightning Play Video
5. Roll With It Play Video
6. Cigarettes & Alcohol Play Video
7. The Meaning Of Soul Play Video
8. To Be Where There's Life Play Video
9. Waiting For The Rapture Play Video
10. The Masterplan Play Video
11. Songbird Play Video
12. Slide Away Play Video
13. Morning Glory Play Video
14. My Big Mouth Play Video
15. The Importance Of Being Idle Play Video
16. Half The World Away Play Video
17. The Hindu Times Play Video
18. Wonderwall Play Video
19. Live Forever Play Video
20. Supersonic Play Video
21. Don't Look Back In Anger Play Video
22. Falling Down Play Video
23. Champagne Supernova Play Video
24. I Am The Walrus (The Beatles cover) Play Video

Wolfie
17/06/2009, 1:08 PM
I've seen some set-lists for the Summer tour , I think I saw My Big Mouth on the list , I'll have a look

Yea it's there
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2009/heaton-park-manchester-england-2bd61432.html

1. ****in' In The Bushes Play Video
2. Rock 'n' Roll StarAdditional Information: Technical FaultTechnical Fault Play Video
3. LylaAdditional Information: Technical FaultTechnical Fault Play Video
4. The Shock Of The Lightning Play Video
5. Roll With It Play Video
6. Cigarettes & Alcohol Play Video
7. The Meaning Of Soul Play Video
8. To Be Where There's Life Play Video
9. Waiting For The Rapture Play Video
10. The Masterplan Play Video
11. Songbird Play Video
12. Slide Away Play Video
13. Morning Glory Play Video
14. My Big Mouth Play Video
15. The Importance Of Being Idle Play Video
16. Half The World Away Play Video
17. The Hindu Times Play Video
18. Wonderwall Play Video
19. Live Forever Play Video
20. Supersonic Play Video
21. Don't Look Back In Anger Play Video
22. Falling Down Play Video
23. Champagne Supernova Play Video
24. I Am The Walrus (The Beatles cover) Play Video

Nice One, Gustavo!!

That's a real career spanning crowd pleaser there! You've got to cater for what's effectively a festival audience. Slane isn't the place to road test your fresh new direction in Celtic Jazz Odyssey or a speed metal interpretation of "Little James" , I have to admit.

Great to see "My Big Mouth" included, though.

You can't please everyone, but among my absent favourites are:

Mucky Fingers
Soldier On
Stay Young
Hung in a Bad Place
Force of Nature

Troubadour
18/06/2009, 1:58 PM
Two songs not on that set list that I really want to hear are Acquiesce (what a tune) and for noveltys sake Digsy's Dinner :cool: Despite Liam's refusal to sing it live.:o

Heading down myself. Hope they stick with that playlist. They didn't have Live Forever on it for the early shows apparently.:confused:

gustavo
18/06/2009, 3:14 PM
Nice One, Gustavo!!

That's a real career spanning crowd pleaser there! You've got to cater for what's effectively a festival audience. Slane isn't the place to road test your fresh new direction in Celtic Jazz Odyssey or a speed metal interpretation of "Little James" , I have to admit.

Great to see "My Big Mouth" included, though.

You can't please everyone, but among my absent favourites are:

Mucky Fingers
Soldier On
Stay Young
Hung in a Bad Place
Force of Nature

Good choices !
not a fan of Soldier On though , Find it quite weak

I'd like it if Acquiesce , Turn up the Sun , Rocking Chair , Gas Panic , Better Man and Bag it Up were played

Wolfie
19/06/2009, 12:23 PM
Good choices !
not a fan of Soldier On though , Find it quite weak

I'd like it if Acquiesce , Turn up the Sun , Rocking Chair , Gas Panic , Better Man and Bag it Up were played

Jaysus yeah! - Where's "Bag it Up"??

Its a travesty if they leave that one out!

One their all time best tunes!!!

gustavo
19/06/2009, 2:09 PM
Jaysus yeah! - Where's "Bag it Up"??

Its a travesty if they leave that one out!

One their all time best tunes!!!

Alas I heard it's cos Liam can't pull it off vocally live

His voice sounded terrible IMO when I heard them tour the latest album when it came out last year

Neish
20/06/2009, 12:18 PM

The fact Oasis were on after both Kasabian and Prodigy was one of the reasons I didn't bother with Slane this year. Imo the band should get louder and faster as the day goes on now slower.

Also hate Slane as a venue, far two much walking to get back to the bus after gig and it full of idiots

a.a.d
21/06/2009, 9:20 AM
Last night was the forth time I have seen them on this tour and they just keep getting better. Having seen them in the Odessey in Belfast where they were a little bit out of time with each other (this might be because of the new drummer) they nailed it last night great gig, great performance and I was very impressed with the Prodigy.

The only problem with last night was the farce that was trying to get in and out of the site. The Promoters decided it would be great to close the main entrannce to the castle from the Dublin side forcing everybody up the hill and around through the already bursting at the seems village. Then afterwards only opened three small exits one of which had an Ice rink of a muck hill leading up to it (how some of those who fell over didn't get crushed underneath people's feet i don't know). So five hours after the band went off stage I eventually made it home a journey that should have only taken me half an hour at most. Mind you at least I was home, I pity the thousands of people who were still by the roadside waiting for Dublin Bus to send back busses to get them back onto town.

Dodge
21/06/2009, 10:55 AM
The fact Oasis were on after both Kasabian and Prodigy was one of the reasons I didn't bother with Slane this year. Imo the band should get louder and faster as the day goes on now slower.

In fairness, Slane isn't a festival. Its a gig by a headliner with some decent support.

tetsujin1979
21/06/2009, 12:44 PM
My experience of Slane this year.

Friend of mine had my ticket, and was driving up from Limerick, stopping off in Trim to watch the Lions game. When he eventually made it to Slane, I was on the other side of the village, coming from the river. There was no way we were going to meet, so he rang me to tell me he had sold my ticket to someone. After much swearing on my part, he did manage to convince me to come all the way in, and people were selling spares at the gate.

For some reason, security at the first 2 barriers were only checking for bottles, nobody asked me to produce my ticket and since I had no bag, was waved through. The walk through the castle grounds was a near death experience. I've been to Slane a few times, and this was the worst, and everyone around me agreed. People were herded along a narrow path, between temporary fencing, and nobody seemed to be moving. Idiots were hanging off the fences, trying to drag them down, and others (including me) were screaming at them and holding up the fences. Hillsbrough was mentioned on more than one occasion. Despite few the posted warnings, it was safer to go on the other side of the railings at a break, and make your way to the gig through the wood. When I eventually got to the gig site, the march had taken me about 90 minutes. On the up side, nobody was checking for tickets at the entrance so I got in for free! Happy days!!

The Prodigy were just coming on, and I met some other friends who had come up from Limerick ealier that afternoon. They warned me them that queues for beer were over an hour, and anyone I saw with a pint said the same, 90 minutes was the longest I heard. Usual rip off prices for poorly made food, so I'm not going to go into that, you're all familiar with the practice.

Prodigy were excellent, far better than the last time I saw them headlining Saturday night at Witnness, never thought I'd hear Outer Space live. I think I've heard enough references to "my warriors" to last me a while, and the set did open with the same mistake as the Stones from many years ago - "Hello Dublin!"

I thought Oasis were marginally better at Marley Park, and Noel's mic seemed to be very quiet, compared to Liam's, but the setlist was quality, and the crowd were well up for it.

Oasis finished at 10:30, which began the trek from the site back to the buses. Getting to one of the 3 gates was hazardous, and with tempers short, it was surprising that only one fight broke out near me. I finally got to a bus at 12:10. The buses I had passed getting to it seemed to be moving once they filled, which was strange. At any other event I've been to, buses fill from the front, to allow them to move unobstructed along the road. There was precious little security, organisation, or garda presence, and it soon showed. By 2 o'clock, we had moved approximately 20 yards. No joke. Well, except for Dublin Bus. From text messages, and phone conversations going on around me, it seemed everyone else was in the same situation. Rang some friends in Dublin to check if there was anything online, or the radio, but nothing. And still nothing AFAIK. There's similar horror stories on boards.ie. Health and safety went out the window, the bus was thronged, as was every other bus we eventually passed. We eventually started crawling along after 2, and I finally got to O'Connell Street at 3:45, more than 5 hours after Oasis went off.

Word must have gotten around the taxi community about the amount of people being dumped in the middle of Dublin, because soon every rank was full of cars. Despite being at the back of the queue in the rank at the top of O'Connell Street, I was in a cab in less than 5 minutes and home just after 4:30.

Unless some serious guarantees are made about organisation and transport, I won't be back to Slane again.

gustavo
21/06/2009, 1:17 PM
r. Imo the band should get louder and faster as the day goes on now slower.

Also hate Slane as a venue, far two much walking to get back to the bus after gig and it full of idiots

No wonder poor Nick Drake killed himself :rolleyes:

There's idiots at every major concert , I tend to ignore them and concentrate on the music

Thought Oasis were great last night Liams voice was much better than I thought it would be

Wolfie
22/06/2009, 12:25 PM
Enjoyed Oasis set very much and thankfully didn't have too much of a nightmare getting home.

We'd decided that we'd do our days drinking in Dublin as I knew getting gargle at Slane would be a nightmare.

Hell of a trek to get to the gig though - even when you got off the bus. I'd forgotten how bloody far it was.

As regards getting home, We decided to make a break for it as "I am the Walrus" was still playing and I think that made all the difference.

We were back in Dublin for 1pm - which wasn't too bad by all acccounts.

The Trek to catch the bus home reminded me of that scene in War of the Worlds when the throngs of people are trying to catch the ferry!!

I kept expecting these vast tripods to appear over the hill - I'd been drinking, obviously.

Slane just doesn't have the infrastructure to deal with a crowd of that size.

As Liam Gallagher commented to the crowd - "Thanks Slane - its been biblical!!"

Lionel Ritchie
22/06/2009, 2:24 PM
... The walk through the castle grounds was a near death experience. I've been to Slane a few times, and this was the worst, and everyone around me agreed. People were herded along a narrow path, between temporary fencing, and nobody seemed to be moving. Idiots were hanging off the fences, trying to drag them down, and others (including me) were screaming at them and holding up the fences. Hillsbrough was mentioned on more than one occasion. Despite few the posted warnings, it was safer to go on the other side of the railings at a break, and make your way to the gig through the wood. When I eventually got to the gig site, the march had taken me about 90 minutes. On the up side, nobody was checking for tickets at the entrance so I got in for free! Happy days!!

The Prodigy were just coming on, and I met some other friends who had come up from Limerick ealier that afternoon. They warned me them that queues for beer were over an hour, and anyone I saw with a pint said the same, 90 minutes was the longest I heard. Usual rip off prices for poorly made food, so I'm not going to go into that, you're all familiar with the practice.....

Oasis finished at 10:30, which began the trek from the site back to the buses. Getting to one of the 3 gates was hazardous, and with tempers short, it was surprising that only one fight broke out near me. I finally got to a bus at 12:10. The buses I had passed getting to it seemed to be moving once they filled, which was strange. At any other event I've been to, buses fill from the front, to allow them to move unobstructed along the road. There was precious little security, organisation, or garda presence, and it soon showed. By 2 o'clock, we had moved approximately 20 yards. No joke. Well, except for Dublin Bus. From text messages, and phone conversations going on around me, it seemed everyone else was in the same situation. Rang some friends in Dublin to check if there was anything online, or the radio, but nothing. And still nothing AFAIK. There's similar horror stories on boards.ie. Health and safety went out the window, the bus was thronged, as was every other bus we eventually passed. We eventually started crawling along after 2, and I finally got to O'Connell Street at 3:45, more than 5 hours after Oasis went off.

Word must have gotten around the taxi community about the amount of people being dumped in the middle of Dublin, because soon every rank was full of cars. Despite being at the back of the queue in the rank at the top of O'Connell Street, I was in a cab in less than 5 minutes and home just after 4:30.

Unless some serious guarantees are made about organisation and transport, I won't be back to Slane again.

Good post Tets.
It confirms to me that I'm not joyless, cantankerous, old before my time or otherwise contrarian for my refusal to attend these things or their three day variants. The people who organise and milk these events are laughing in the faces of the people who shell out ridiculous sums to attend them -just to be treated with this level of contempt.

razor
22/06/2009, 3:55 PM
We were back in Dublin for 1pm - which wasn't too bad by all acccounts.Do you think? :D
Presume you meant am

the 12 th man
22/06/2009, 5:32 PM
I thought the Prodigy were brilliant,"Their Law" at the start of the set was unbelievable.

Oasis were good without being knockout imho.

Kasabian were better than I thought they were going to be.

hula4
22/06/2009, 6:01 PM
i was working at slane and i have worked at numerous other concerts, matches etc in croke park, lansdowne roads, rds, phoenix park etc and i can safely say it was the worst organised major event i have been involved in.

i didnt hear the joe duffy show today but i can certainly see peoples grievances. the concert was plainly oversold, people were treated terribly, both visitors and the residents of the village who appeared to be pretty much barricaded into their homes.

saying that there was a very bad element in the crowd.

its a terrible place to have a concert logistically, i started work at 11am and didnt get back to dublin until half four having had to go via drogheda, i truly feel sorry for anyone who spent in excess of 120 euro id imagine without even having had a drink or a bite to eat

Wolfie
23/06/2009, 12:29 PM
Do you think? :D
Presume you meant am

Doh - yes, am! :o

Although by the sounds of it some actually made it back for 1pm Sunday!!

the 12 th man
23/06/2009, 2:08 PM
A lot of damage done to Slane's reputation after the hassle people had getting in and out of the gig,I met 3 Scottish lads who didn't get back to town til 5 am:eek:

tetsujin1979
23/06/2009, 2:59 PM
A lot of damage done to Slane's reputation after the hassle people had getting in and out of the gig,I met 3 Scottish lads who didn't get back to town til 5 am:eek:
There was 2 Scots sitting behind me on the bus, and were flying back home at 12. By the time we got back to Dublin, they were contemplating going straight out to the airport!

gustavo
23/06/2009, 3:15 PM
Yea was a strange one alright , I made it back to Sligo before some lads I know made it back to Dublin , Was it not like that other years?

DeLorean
24/06/2009, 12:35 PM
I promised myself after the Chili's in 03 that I'd never go back to Slane. Oxegen is fantastic in comparison. The only reason I went back was because it was Oasis and despite not making it back to Dublin til 4am (and the torture of having just a seat on the stairs of the bus) I'm glad I went. Won't go again though...ever. Only thing that could have made the Oasis part of it better is if they played Rockin' Chair but they never do. Didn't see any other bands cos I've no interest in Prodigy and didn't want to be there all day. Kasabian & Glasvegas would have interested me alright.

anto1208
25/06/2009, 1:54 PM
Allthough im no MCD fan every year slain is a nightmare to get too and home from, add into that that Irish people like to arrive 30mins after the act they want to see comes on and then get ****y when they cant walk straight in and push their way to the front.

The first band was on stage at 3 so you should be aiming to be in the gig for 2 30 it will take you at least an hour to get from a bus to the gig you would want to be arriving in slain for about 1ish.

There isnt much MCD can do about the customers arriving late and buckled.

Macy
26/06/2009, 1:10 PM
There isnt much MCD can do about the customers arriving late and buckled.
They can organise it in such away to avoid a crush at one of the gates! If they're not capable of dealing with - as you say the expected - late rush, they shouldn't get a licence.