PDA

View Full Version : Next Shamrock Rovers Manager?

finnpark
15/10/2008, 2:12 PM
Anyone...

Roddy Collins
Damien Richardson
Dermot Keely
Sean Connor
Pete Mahon
Jeff Kenna
Paul Doolin

Sam_Heggy
15/10/2008, 2:13 PM
Paul Cook

Maynard
15/10/2008, 2:19 PM
Anyone...

Roddy Collins
Damien Richardson
Dermot Keely
Sean Connor
Pete Mahon
Jeff Kenna
Paul Doolin

Think you can rule him out completely to be honest. If the Rovers fans had enough of Scully's defensive hoof-ball then they are hardly going to go straight for the man who practices hoof-ball squared.

Olander
15/10/2008, 2:24 PM
paddy power are taking bets to see how long it will be til this is moved :o

Schumi
15/10/2008, 2:24 PM
Rico, Doolin or Cook are the most likely I'd say. They should interview Roddy for the laugh.

CuanaD
15/10/2008, 2:32 PM
paddy power are taking bets to see how long it will be til this is moved :o

lol
:D

Duggie
15/10/2008, 2:44 PM
ya did i hear something bout cook and shams before - not sure. but ya cook or rico would be a good call. rico seems a top professional manager. if i was looking for a manager hed be top of the list within ireland i think IMO.

WoodquayBoy
15/10/2008, 2:53 PM
Neville Steedman with Vinny Arkins as his assistant

sadloserkid
15/10/2008, 2:55 PM
John Aldrige is apparently 9/1. :D

Duggie
15/10/2008, 3:18 PM
Although I'll be gutted to see it it will come as no surprise if Mathews is at shams next year. Other than him Cook and Rico are the two likiest options imo

alan matthews ? hes a ****e manager. cork have gone to the dogs. never rated him and how they got rid of rico to get him in ill never know.

Sam_Heggy
15/10/2008, 3:33 PM
Although I'll be gutted to see it it will come as no surprise if Mathews is at shams next year. Other than him Cook and Rico are the two likiest options imo

It'll take a bit more than that to get rid of him.

I like your take on humour though :D

finnpark
15/10/2008, 3:50 PM
alan matthews ? hes a ****e manager. cork have gone to the dogs. never rated him and how they got rid of rico to get him in ill never know.

Liam Brady advised Arkaga that they should put Mattews in place :o

Longfordian
15/10/2008, 4:11 PM

Yeah, it's all down to him. Nothing to do with having to reduce wages by 70% and get rid of their best players. Before all that they were motoring along nicely, they've still lost very few games this year. He could win the Setanta Cup this year, which would give him a total of 2 FAI Cups, a League Cup and a Setanta Cup, plus a League Cup runner up and an FAI Cup runner up. He's a very good manager, some people don't like him very much but he's achieved a fair bit.

Rambling Along
15/10/2008, 4:24 PM
Paul Cook or Rico.

hollocaine
15/10/2008, 4:45 PM

Duggie, you're an idiot. Alan Mathews may not have his team's playing the most attractive football, but he has (more often than not) got results when it matters. He's in the top 3 managers this decade on the basis of achievements on the field (alongside Fenlon and Doolin) and he has conducted himself admirably this year with all the off-field problems in Cork. Again Duggie I stress that you're an idiot.

finnpark
15/10/2008, 5:08 PM
Duggie, you're an idiot. Alan Mathews may not have his team's playing the most attractive football, but he has (more often than not) got results when it matters. He's in the top 3 managers this decade on the basis of achievements on the field (alongside Fenlon and Doolin) and he has conducted himself admirably this year with all the off-field problems in Cork. Again Duggie I stress that you're an idiot.

Mattews is crap. Anyone that knows anything about football knows this fact.

What were Cork doing hiring a manager that just relegated Longford. I cannot understand it.

Maybe they will go for Tony Cousins next season.

Duggie
16/10/2008, 8:18 AM

What were Cork doing hiring a manager that just relegated Longford. I cannot understand it.

exactly - all longford fans bigging him up i see. :rolleyes:

joeSoap
16/10/2008, 10:12 AM
I reckon Doolin is a shoe-in for the job.

Longfordian
16/10/2008, 12:09 PM

What sort of a fact is that?. Your own misguided opinion. It doesn't surprise me however. If you take the Cork forum as an unofficial gauge then about 80-90% would say he's done a great job with them considering what he's had to put up with. I think they might know a bit more about the situation than you. As for him relegating Longford the deduction of six points didn't help much did it?.

Dodge
16/10/2008, 12:20 PM
Matthews is a poor manager. Had great platyers with Longford and only ever performed in the cup. Not good enough to sustain it over a league season.

srfc1928
17/10/2008, 1:54 PM
ya did i hear something bout cook and shams before - not sure. but ya cook or rico would be a good call. rico seems a top professional manager. if i was looking for a manager hed be top of the list within ireland i think IMO.
A good call for who:confused:
Is that avatar just a decoration or something

jinxy lilywhite
17/10/2008, 2:07 PM
John Gill for Rovers.

DeNiro
12/11/2008, 1:10 PM
The NOTW last Sunday had an article on Fenlon taking over! Tallaght will hardly awash with chequebooks for him! But, it's like something he'd do. Any other candidates mentioned? The closing date was Monday, but it will probably be December before anything is decided.

passinginterest
12/11/2008, 2:15 PM
The NOTW last Sunday had an article on Fenlon taking over! Tallaght will hardly awash with chequebooks for him! But, it's like something he'd do. Any other candidates mentioned? The closing date was Monday, but it will probably be December before anything is decided.

I think they stated a December 1st start on the advertisement. Pretty much every League of Ireland manager has been linked in one way or another. Mathews is supposed to have signed a new contract at Cork and Cooke, who was strongly linked, is said to have committed to Sligo. Kenny is from Tallaght so a link has been made there, Tony Cousins is an out and out Rovers nut (but a bad manager unfortunately for him), even Henderson from Cobh has gotten a mention. Also Jeff Kenna, Paul Doolin, Johnny McDonnell, Damien Richardson, Liam Buckley, Noel King and Brian Kerr.

Pat Walker has been in Ireland recently and plenty of people would like to see what he could do over here, and there was a rumour (although I think it was a wind up) on the Rovers forum that Nigel Clough had checked into the Tower hotel (beside the stadium) last week.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Pat Walker was offered it if he showed any interest, otherwise it might well be someone from cross-channel, with current care-taker Jim Crawford as assistant, most of the Irish managers come with too much baggage and are bound to divide fans. As a fan run club they'll try to achieve as much consensus as possible.

DeNiro
15/11/2008, 7:16 PM
what happens with the players out of contract at Rovers? Are they released or would they be temporarily held until a new manager was appointed? I don't know the exact list of who is and isn't out of contract? Also, what about loanees like Dessie Baker and Barry Ferguson?

Dodge
15/11/2008, 8:11 PM
what happens with the players out of contract at Rovers? Are they released or would they be temporarily held until a new manager was appointed? I don't know the exact list of who is and isn't out of contract? Also, what about loanees like Dessie Baker and Barry Ferguson?

If their contract ends, they can do what they like. I'd imagine the board had a word with some of the better players and told them that any new manager would more than likely want them and if they hang on they'll get a contract

Loanees, like Ndo, just go back to the parent club

blue til i die
17/11/2008, 9:03 PM
Gareth Cronin to be appointed new Rovers manager.

McLovin
17/11/2008, 9:59 PM
I reckon Paul Doolin

RĂ©iteoir
21/11/2008, 11:11 AM
Pat Walker has been in Ireland recently and plenty of people would like to see what he could do over here, and there was a rumour (although I think it was a wind up) on the Rovers forum that Nigel Clough had checked into the Tower hotel (beside the stadium) last week.

I'd say there's a slim to bugger-all chance of Clough taking the job.

He's basically got a job for life at Burton Albion - and his next move anywhere will be to take over at Nottingham Forest.

Why leave all that to go and try his hand in a one-stand stadium in the badlands of Wicklow?

passinginterest
21/11/2008, 11:16 AM
I'd say there's a slim to bugger-all chance of Clough taking the job.

He's basically got a job for life at Burton Albion - and his next move anywhere will be to take over at Nottingham Forest.

Why leave all that to go and try his hand in a one-stand stadium in the badlands of Wicklow?

As I said Im pretty sure that was a wind up. During the week John Collins and Jason McAteer were reported as being interested. Hard to see how they could afford someone like Collins and hard to see anyone taking McAteer seriously. :)

shep
26/11/2008, 10:40 AM
Heard that Jeff Kenna has been offered the job and is considering at the moment.

Jofspring
03/12/2008, 12:50 PM
According to today fm today fenlon has left bohs and will be taking the job at shamrock rovers

tiktok
09/12/2008, 1:14 PM
Matthews is a poor manager. Had great platyers with Longford and only ever performed in the cup. Not good enough to sustain it over a league season.

Rumour is he's just accepted the job after being sacked by Cork City.