PDA

View Full Version : Utd Vs Bray.

eamo1
15/10/2008, 11:42 AM
Obviously a must win game.With our record against them this season and not having played last night i feel we can win this one with some to spare.I know we never win without much hassle though so im gonna go with 2-1 win for us.
We should have been dead and buried long ago but we just keep doing enough to stay in touch.We are rapidly running out of games though so its wins now and nothing else.
Such a shame the Connacht game clashes with this though.It will affect both attendances by a few hundred id say.

corbyeire
15/10/2008, 12:20 PM
so true. we cant do it easy and we dont have the games - a win any way possible - sods law that UCD and cobh hit form at the same time as GUFC!

Maroon 7
15/10/2008, 2:09 PM
so true. we cant do it easy and we dont have the games - a win any way possible - sods law that UCD and cobh hit form at the same time as GUFC!

True just as we hit some form so does everyone else at the bottom.

3 points by any means vital now on Friday.

Claret Murph
16/10/2008, 12:50 PM
:ball:All I can see is a win and I am going with 3-1 :)

gufct
16/10/2008, 3:49 PM
I was glad the game was called off during the week as i felt we needed to get
on the winning trail.We need to be up for it as Bray have a point to prove after we knocked them out of 2 cups. Jonny Keane will be back in for Murphs and Jesper will stay in and score.

Stevo Da Gull
16/10/2008, 3:55 PM
My head says it'll be a draw. Our lads should be right up for it after ye ruined our season, your lads will be fighting tooth and nail for the points.

I hope I'm wrong though (obviously I'm hoping we win, just in case ye thought I was rooting for Galway for some reason :eek:).

Trainee
16/10/2008, 10:29 PM
Dont forget tickets for FAI cup semi on sunday week will be on sale tomorrow night at the bray game

exiled_gufc_fan
17/10/2008, 11:10 PM
A great result for United tonight - there were some outstanding contributions on the field tonight from virtually every player.
In particular, O'Shea and Russell stood out, and Jonathan Keane in the first 45. Conneelly and J Keane have really come on since I saw them play at the end of last season.
We could have had 6 or 7 tonight - the post, a clearance off the line, some dodgy offside decisions and a few glaring misses.
Just before the second goal it was looking like we might be biting our nails, but then the goals started flowing. I was delighted especially to see Vinny score a brace.

I picked a great game for my first game of the season - made the every cent of the €250 spent travelling worth it! shame there is no flight back to London after the game on Monday night or I'd have gone along to that too!

pixiehead
17/10/2008, 11:15 PM
Really enjoyed the game tonite. Thought we were in control through out. In fairness bray where shocking bad!!! :eek:
Everyone played well but I think o shea takes a bit too much out of it at times.

Was Kenna missing tonite?? Didnt see him at all?
What the hell was up with the last floodlight on corrib stand?? Will look bad on TV

C'MON UNITED :)

WoodquayBoy
17/10/2008, 11:20 PM
Good Lord but Bray were shocking. Credit to Jeff, he has the team palying some cracking football, even if some of the lads did overplay it a bit tonight. No idea why J Keane was taken off as early as he was, but thank God Vinny started instead of JJ. Thought he blew his chance to prove Jeff right with that miss in first half, but his second was worth the admission price alone, especially embarrassing Mr Gough.
Game on in a big way, if we take a point from pats we'll do it.
Well done to the lads, was also impressed with JK and Seamus in particular, Fitzy mopped up well, apart from the dodgy hairdo Russler looked impressive - has he gone from Russler to Rooster with that dash of red!

gufcfan
18/10/2008, 12:37 AM
Bray - Highlights http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=JvcafS9Wavg&fmt=18

eamo1
18/10/2008, 1:33 AM
Just in the door after a few after match beverages.HOW BAD ARE BRAY INDEED??Granted they have nothing much to play for but they were so poor it was unreal.We were good though and did play some great stuff again.Once again my O'Shea to score and us to win bet came in:D.I just wondered why didnt he take off Foley and maybe O'Shea for the last few mins with Monday night in mind.I know O'Shea was on a hatrick but he could have gotten injured as some Bray players were tackling poorly.
WE ARE STAYING UP,SAY WE ARE STAYING UP:D

Maroon 7
18/10/2008, 3:14 AM
Weird how it goes. We seem to have the measure of Bray and Harps this season but we've been awful against Cobh.

Paddyfield
18/10/2008, 6:09 AM
times.

Was Kenna missing tonite?? Didnt see him at all?
What the hell was up with the last floodlight on corrib stand?? Will look bad on TV

C'MON UNITED :)

JK was at the game. Dunno how you missed him. He ran out to Jayo to celebrate the 2nd goal.

wonder88
18/10/2008, 8:45 AM
Bray were very poor, but i suppose they had nothing to play for. If we get a draw against pats, and there is a draw tonight between Cobh and UCD we are really in with a good chance. It is the best football i have seem being play at terryland for a long time, although the lads do overdo it a bit at times (still great to watch). Could the 2-2 draw with Harps come back to haunt us and that sickening home defeat to UCD? All the lads did well, but was really impressed with Russell and Seamus, thought J keane was a bit slack at times in the first half. Said this before but the manager has done a tremendous job once he got settled in. We could still end the season on a high. ps the fans have really taken to this team and it was nice that Robson was acknowledge by some when he was going off.

Mr Maroon
18/10/2008, 10:40 AM
JK was at the game. Dunno how you missed him. He ran out to Jayo to celebrate the 2nd goal.
That's Fozzie.
Jeff was there though. You can see him at 3:33 on the highlights.

eamo1
18/10/2008, 10:49 AM
Lads,is there any statto's amoung ye who can tell me when we last won a top flight game by 4 goals??I cant for the life of me remember the last time we did it.I know we beat Monaghan 8-0 that time but wasnt that in the 1ST divison??Was trying to remember it last night after the game but none of us could.
The over doing it bit is what teams who play like that tend to do.Now im not comparing us to Arsenal's style but we are not a million miles from it and they over do it alot aswell.
AND AGAIN WE PLAYED to the same end in the first half and again in the second half for the 5th game in a row:D.

exiled_gufc_fan
18/10/2008, 11:28 AM
Bray were very poor, but i suppose they had nothing to play for.

Bray need 2 points from their last three games to be absolutely safe. With ourselves and Cobh in a good run of form at the moment, I don't think they can be entirely complacent.

Bray have to play Cobh, Drogheda and Sligo. I'd fancy Cobh for three points there next week.

Worst case scenario for Bray would be for Cobh and ourselves to win our last four matches. Bray have a worse goal difference then ourselves too (and if Cobh beat them next week Cobh would also be better off on goal difference). Bray can be very thankful they won last week against Derry.

exiled_gufc_fan
18/10/2008, 11:31 AM
Lads,is there any statto's amoung ye who can tell me when we last won a top flight game by 4 goals??I cant for the life of me remember the last time we did it.I know we beat Monaghan 8-0 that time but wasnt that in the 1ST divison??

That Monaghan game was in the Premier Division in October 2001 (2001/02 season). Last night was our biggest Premier Division victory margin since.

sligored
18/10/2008, 11:37 AM
Lads,is there any statto's amoung ye who can tell me when we last won a top flight game by 4 goals??I cant for the life of me remember the last time we did it.I know we beat Monaghan 8-0 that time but wasnt that in the 1ST divison??Was trying to remember it last night after the game but none of us could.
The over doing it bit is what teams who play like that tend to do.Now im not comparing us to Arsenal's style but we are not a million miles from it and they over do it alot aswell.
AND AGAIN WE PLAYED to the same end in the first half and again in the second half for the 5th game in a row:D.

surely this is illegal exiled and will result in an immediate points deduction

i was not at you match last night but arsenal are not one of the teams that sprang to mind after the sligo performance- a bit more wimbledon. not that ye didnt deserve a point by the way

superfrank
18/10/2008, 11:52 AM
Two crackers there in that game. Jay's second and Faherty's second.

Bray have a habit giving up once they think they're safe. It happened last year and, in the end, we had to beat Sligo on the last day to avoid the playoff.

Earlier in the year, we went on a good run and we were twelve points off relegation at one point, iirc. Then we started dropping points cause the players elaxed. We beat Cobh 2-1 a while back and once again we struggled afterwards. We beat UCD a while back as well then we dropped points afterwards.

The performances were slowly picking up against Bohs and Rovers and then we beat Derry. One more win would keep us up and, with all respect, Galway is one we should be looking to win. Insted of that, we go out and get spanked.

It's really frustrating to see.

That said, fair play to yez for picking yourselves up again.

Demoshield
18/10/2008, 12:28 PM
i was not at you match last night but arsenal are not one of the teams that sprang to mind after the sligo performance- a bit more wimbledon. not that ye didnt deserve a point by the way

Since mid September GUFC are playing some of the best football they have played in the last ten years.While comparisons with Arsenal are ott, the game in Sligo was way below what we have produced recently. The main reason for this is, in Galway we have a pitch that you can play the brand of football that Kenna wants them to play, in Sligo you have one of the worst pitches in the premier division. Although it will be very tough, hopefully you will see the type of football we can play on the telly in the FAI cup semi final against Derry on Sunday week. I'm sure you will also see Derry play a very attractive brand of football on what is one of the best pitches in the league.

That Monaghan game was in the Premier Division in October 2001 (2001/02 season). Last night was our biggest Premier Division victory margin since.
We also got relegated that season!
Tony Mannions first game in charge after the departure of Roddys style hero, Mr Dave Connell. IIRC

Mr Maroon
18/10/2008, 12:44 PM
On the subject of the pitch , it looked great as usual lastnight despite the lashing rain. It really is a credit to Noel Connolly and anyone else that looks after it.
If that match had been on in Richmond it would have been called off :rolleyes:

pixiehead
18/10/2008, 2:21 PM
Bray - Highlights http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=JvcafS9Wavg&fmt=18

Lads, anyone think Vinnys goal will make Goal of the month on MNS> I think its pure class!!!

Tir Oilean
18/10/2008, 8:15 PM
JK was taken off cos he was fading in the second half. And Connemaradonna (S Conneely)was just excellent defo our young player of the year. Russeler and Jayo for our POTY. What a great game for a good sized crowd given the conditions.

Paddyfield
18/10/2008, 9:53 PM
Anyone notice that one of the floodlight pylons wasn't working?

So who did they get to fix it?

Ex United player Mixie Harty, who is an electrician with a local company.

Terry
19/10/2008, 8:34 AM
cant remember who was saying it earlier in the day (friday), but they were saying that J Keane was going into the match with a bit of an injury, that was picked up in training. My guess is this is why he came off, as a precaution?

I will give it a go at fixing the floodlight for free if need be ? If Im correct there is about 6 or 7 sparkies that attend terryland religously !

eamo1
19/10/2008, 12:09 PM
Just because alot of sparkies attend games doesnt mean they can fix it.A sparky friend of mine once "had a go" of fixing an electric box and ended up knocking out power to half of Woodquay for 2 hours:).No,im sure ye could do it,im just glad it didnt spread and game went on.
Cobh won last night though,DOH.

Mr Maroon
19/10/2008, 6:42 PM
Anyone notice that one of the floodlight pylons wasn't working?

So who did they get to fix it?

Ex United player Mixie Harty, who is an electrician with a local company.
One Mixie Harty! There's only one Mixie Harty!

GUISAUltra
20/10/2008, 7:24 AM
One Mixie Harty! There's only one Mixie Harty!

actually there's 2