pineapple stu
21/10/2008, 3:26 PM
Brighter than you anyway, it seems.

SPEND SPEND SPEND Ooops, how'd that happen? :confused:

fionnsci
21/10/2008, 3:39 PM
Im saying (or at least I was tyring to say) that its best to have as few teams as possible overspending, thats all!

pineapple stu
21/10/2008, 3:41 PM
Curious way of saying it!

don ramo
21/10/2008, 3:44 PM
so instead of playin a club every 3 months your gonna be playing them every 2 months,

in all fairness what is wrong with this league is that its stale, your playing eachother every 2nd and 3rd month, there is no riviallry, no rivilary means ****e attendances, simple as, and now they want to make it even move uncompetitive,

i would much prefer the basic home and away once a year, even if it were one league, there is better riviallary and the team will only come once a year so you will look forward to it more,

when i hear city are playing rams next week, i just think, sure we only played them a few weeks ago like

pineapple stu
21/10/2008, 3:46 PM
riviallry [...] rivilary [...] riviallary
There's a medical book somewhere which lists Don Ramo Syndrome, I'd say. That's impressive.

Kildareman
21/10/2008, 3:48 PM
For what its worth.

A Premier Division of 10 teams.
Next 2 regionalised leagues of 8 teams in each. This would help reduce the yearly expenditure of 'lesser' clubs.
There are enough clubs to form these as the addional clubs would come from mullingar, tullamore, mervue, salthill, tralee etc.
The top 4 of each league then playoff in a cup format. Winner of league A plays 4th place in league B etc. ( 2 legs??) The eventual winner wins promotion whilst the loser goes into a playoff against the 9th placed premier club.
The bottom 4 in each league could play in a similar cup or shield competition. A monetary prize should help keep up an interest.
There is no quick cure for the Premier Division but this format would definitely wake up quite a few in the 'graveyard' division!!

pineapple stu
21/10/2008, 3:50 PM
A league of 8 teams means playing each other 4 times is only 28 games (5 times is getting a bit silly). That wouldn't generate the money to allow the clubs to step up to the Premier, where there would be 36 games.

Battery Rover
21/10/2008, 4:23 PM
A few clubs in the 1st Division are of the opinion the league has too many games a season. Better of with a first division of 12 and playing 22 games a season and along with league and fai cup it would become more sustainable. Most teams struggle with wages after about the 20th week of the season and this might help

It would give teams more time to build and develop academies to bering players through

Longfordian
21/10/2008, 4:40 PM
Yep, I know we've definitely made a submission in favour of a shorter league season. Anything that keeps wages down really.

jebus
21/10/2008, 4:43 PM
Im saying (or at least I was tyring to say) that its best to have as few teams as possible overspending, thats all!

No you didn't, you said you'd rather have 10 teams overspending than a 16 team Premier. Aren't you the wet ignition

Kildareman
21/10/2008, 4:59 PM
Regional leagues would help keep the cost down.
In an 8 team division the games played could range from 28 (x4 per club), 21 (x3 per club) or 14 (x2 per club).
Maybe the season could start in July so that clubs could sign players from Junior clubs.
And if the fixtures were drawn up with a little bit of common sense, then midweek games could be arranged with the least of traveltime/distance.

fionnsci
21/10/2008, 4:59 PM
No you didn't, you said you'd rather have 10 teams overspending than a 16 team Premier. Aren't you the wet ignition

When i said "I'd much rather have 10 teams overspending to compete than 16 or 18." I meant "I'd rather have 10 teams overspending to compete than 16 or 18 teams overspending to compete." Dont twist my words, even if what said wasnt that clear.

brendy_éire
21/10/2008, 5:01 PM
Yep, I know we've definitely made a submission in favour of a shorter league season. Anything that keeps wages down really.

We don't really play a longer league compared to that of other countries though. Dunno if it would make sense for the 2 divisions to having differing season lengths.
Bear in mind that a shorter season would be worse for full time clubs who pay their players all year round. Less games would mean less income.

Battery Rover
21/10/2008, 5:04 PM

Same here

jebus
21/10/2008, 5:22 PM
When i said "I'd much rather have 10 teams overspending to compete than 16 or 18." I meant "I'd rather have 10 teams overspending to compete than 16 or 18 teams overspending to compete." Dont twist my words, even if what said wasnt that clear.

:D:D:D

Lim till i die
21/10/2008, 11:47 PM
A few clubs in the 1st Division are of the opinion the league has too many games a season. Better of with a first division of 12 and playing 22 games a season and along with league and fai cup it would become more sustainable. Most teams struggle with wages after about the 20th week of the season and this might help

It would give teams more time to build and develop academies to bering players through

Ridiculously small time lads.

Reminds me of Bart Simpson going to school in Cypress Creek.

By the by, the reason Athlone and Longford have trouble paying wages is because they offer ludicrous wages.

pineapple stu
22/10/2008, 11:49 AM
Ridiculously small time lads.

By the by, the reason Athlone and Longford have trouble paying wages is because they offer ludicrous wages.
Would tend to agree alright. Wouldn't have a problem with, say, two 12-team First Divisions to save on travelling costs (assuming enough teams of enough quality can be found), but if you know what your wages budget is at the start of the year, you shouldn't be overshooting it. Making the season shorter sounds like Platinum One giving out more prize money being the solution to all the league's financial ills, to be honest.

Longfordian
22/10/2008, 12:18 PM
Ah yeah I know what ye mean, I certainly don't think there's anyone to blame if we're having difficulty paying wages except ourselves. This year's budget was a little optimistic in hindsight but it wasn't crazy, there were a few things that fell through which would have covered any shortfall. One player in particular is/was on ludicrous money for what he gives but that was a legacy of the Premier Division. We've only one player I think under contract for next year so we'll have a smaller budget next year one way or another. Some of our best players this season have been our lower paid ones or even amateurs strangely enough.

pineapple stu
22/10/2008, 12:20 PM
Such a large Premier Division is simply not sustainable in Ireland. I'd much rather have 10 teams overspending to compete than 16 or 18.
Just coming back to this (now that I think I see what you mean), you're making a fairly large assumption here that First Division clubs don't overspend too.

Lim till i die
22/10/2008, 10:58 PM
From a purely selfish point of view a shorter first division would also serve to kill Limerick stone dead.

We're competing for players with some pretty hefty junior clubs in town (at least four of whom would be bigger than some first divisin clubs) and it's hard enough trying to convince them of the glamour of trips to Wexford et al without telling them we could only pay them for 22 weeks.

Also it would make the step up to the Premier Division nigh on impossible for any side which does win promotion.

Sorry lads, crap idea IMO

Mr A
23/10/2008, 9:07 AM
We're competing for players with some pretty hefty junior clubs in town (at least four of whom would be bigger than some first divisin clubs) and it's hard enough trying to convince them of the glamour of trips to Wexford et al without telling them we could only pay them for 22 weeks.

On the bright side, when they do go to Wexford they don't have to do anything.

Ash
23/10/2008, 9:48 AM

No ludicrous wage offers this season

Lim till i die
23/10/2008, 4:32 PM
No ludicrous wage offers this season

Then why the trouble paying??

KevB76
23/10/2008, 5:13 PM
On the bright side, when they do go to Wexford they don't have to do anything.

We're not allowed use the bright side in Wexford :(

Longfordian
23/10/2008, 5:19 PM
I don't think our proposal was anything like 22 weeks LTID. I don't know the ins and outs but it was only playing the season over a few weeks less, say 36 weeks instead of 40.

KevB76
23/10/2008, 5:19 PM
On the subject of a regionalised 1st division, I dont buy into the idea it will save clubs any significant money.
I mean how much is a club likely to save by travelling 2 hours away compared to travelling 4 hours away?

Furthermore, a regionalised league just doesn't have the same appeal.
Some of us actually enjoy the trips to far off corners of the country!

Dodge
23/10/2008, 6:04 PM
Get rid of that stoopid summer break

brianw82
20/11/2008, 7:44 PM
Get rid of that stoopid summer break

Absolutely agree. This, coupled with the fixtures schedule, can leave teams without a gate for 5-6 weeks. Teams like Bray, Harps, Sligo etc are crucified by it. Our Liverpool Legends game during the break this season was apparently the only thing that stopped us from going under, because it was our only gate money for over a month.

gufcfan
20/11/2008, 8:08 PM
would this work?

no no no no no no no no no no no!