PDA

View Full Version : Fao fai

finnpark
13/10/2008, 12:12 AM
Dear Mr Delaney,

Let me congratulate you on your effort to bundle domestic and International advertising together.

However, why is the same thing not being done for ticketing.

Take for example the Cyprus match; I know a woman who has absolutely no interest in football but that is getting a ticket from her work buddies. She doesn't even know who the Ireland players are. The work buddies NEVER go to LOI matches and "support" British teams such as Leeds United, Blackburn Rovers, Manchester United and Sunderland.

Surely International tickets should only be available to real fans of Irish football, especially for the big games where demand is huge eg Italy. People who want tickets should have to produce 3 ticket stubbs from LOI matches. This would result in 50,000+ extra fans at LOI matches for 3 weeks or an average of 2000+ extra fans at each LOI match each week for 3 weeks.

Now Ive no interest in the International team, Im simply an armchair supporter as I feel the International team does not represent my identity. However, if a plan like the above was implemented you may get more real Irish football fans attending and a decent atmosphere.

Regards,
finn park

brianw82
13/10/2008, 12:47 AM
People who want tickets should have to produce 3 ticket stubbs from LOI matches.

There's more holes in this plan than an A4 paper factory.

A face
13/10/2008, 1:24 AM

Just do what they do it Italy so, its been working for them for years. Its just a method to ensure that people who are supporting the domestic game have a better chance of getting tickets (and better tickets/seats) but day trippers still have a chance at getting tickets.

gspain
13/10/2008, 8:00 AM
There is no shortage of tickets for this game. There are no LoI fans locked out.

Re your general point certainly there are many block bookings i nthe hands of football fans who don't follow domestic football. However all clubs have tickets and if you are a regular LoI fan and make yourself known to your club you should get sorted out for Ireland tickets.

jeff24
13/10/2008, 8:21 AM
they should sell da tickicts at the el league games, it would bring lots of new potential suppporters through da gates

BulmersKid
13/10/2008, 8:52 AM
Not a good idea.

Doesn't take into account all facets of Irish football.

Doesn't inlcude Schoolboys and Junior clubs. All the people working at grassroots level.

Within the FAI these two groups hold the majority of the power and so will never happen.

Nice idea. Needs some way of getting people who know F-all about football or don't support local football getting tickets .

A face
13/10/2008, 8:56 AM
they should sell da tickicts at the el league games, it would bring lots of new potential suppporters through da gates

Good point, and ensure to sell them inside the gates.

Dodge
13/10/2008, 9:08 AM
Lads, the FAI are giving tickets away for this one? Ads all over the radio, clubs have been told to promote the sale of them too.

Wrong game to be getting picky about

dcfcsteve
13/10/2008, 11:28 AM
The idea of trying to force people into going to EL games is absurd.

Ignoring the fact that the FAI can't give away tickets for half its fixtures - plenty of clubs have tried similar by selling tickets for high-profile friendly games at the start of domestic fixtures (e.g. Derry v Celtic recently).

All that happens is that 99% of those who turn up to buy the tickets for friendlies p!ss off as soon as they get them.

You will not build a viable league in ireland by forcing bar-stoolers to come along to games they don't want to. It'll probably just create more resentment for the league...

holidaysong
13/10/2008, 11:32 AM
Tickets for internationals (especially in Croke Park) are just too expensive. I know I could get a ticket for this match no problem and I would like to go, but €50/€70 is just too much for a student to pay for a game I can watch on TV.

blackholesun
13/10/2008, 1:45 PM
A scheme whereby any LOI season ticket holder has the option to buy an FAI "season ticket" should be introduced.

I know a few people who take out memberships at various rugby clubs just to get access to the international tkts via similar schemes they supposedly have.

bhs

fionnsci
13/10/2008, 4:24 PM
Give a large allocation to loi teams (average 1,000 each) to be sold at half time at the games. I know some football fans that could have a keen interest in loi football if given a greater incentive or push to go to the games.

dcfcsteve
13/10/2008, 4:26 PM
A scheme whereby any LOI season ticket holder has the option to buy an FAI "season ticket" should be introduced.

I know a few people who take out memberships at various rugby clubs just to get access to the international tkts via similar schemes they supposedly have.

bhs

I imagine woukld be difficult to guarantee numerically - e.g. clubs like City and Cork will often have over a thousand season ticket-holders each. They can't all be cast-iron guaranteed tickets.

Clubs already get an allocation of international tickets, and if they were smarter with this (and indeed, sought more) they could do something partly along the lines you're suggesting.

Dodge
13/10/2008, 4:36 PM
I imagine woukld be difficult to guarantee numerically - e.g. clubs like City and Cork will often have over a thousand season ticket-holders each. They can't all be cast-iron guaranteed tickets.
Surely all you Derry people would be supporting the IFA national side steve? ;) And of course not every season ticket holder would want tickets for the national sides.

Clubs already get an allocation of international tickets, and if they were smarter with this (and indeed, sought more) they could do something partly along the lines you're suggesting.
Well I know Pats have sought more tickets from the FAI but they're not that easy to come by (particularly when they can't guarentee the same numbers in the new Lansdowne)

I agree with the thrust of your argument though. its up to the clubs as to how to allocate their tickets. Pats use the majority of theirs for sponsors etc

finnpark
13/10/2008, 5:10 PM
Whilst I agree with some of the arguments regarding the current match - it is not sold out - I still think that the International and Domestic league scenes should be tied together. When you can buy tickets from outlets other than your local club (this could be extended to non league and Junior clubs in many regions) it leads to the acceptability that its ok to ignore our league football whilst following the International team.

KianD
13/10/2008, 9:05 PM

Such as the fact that the club the OP supports doesn't provide you with stubs...

the-blue-harp
13/10/2008, 9:07 PM
absolute waffle!

pete
13/10/2008, 9:16 PM
The FAI need full houses at International matches are they are big revenue earners. It is easy to get tickets for almost all games. The LOi block book allocation is under subscribed.