PDA

View Full Version : Drogs seek examinership

Pages : [1] 2 3

Paddyfield
12/10/2008, 8:07 PM
Front page news on Sunday Business Post
http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=36703-qqqx=1.asp

Drogheda Utd seeks examinership

Sunday, October 12, 2008 By Susan Mitchell

Drogheda United Football Club will ask the High Court to put it into examinership on Tuesday in an effort to save the business.

The club will follow Premier Division club Cork City FC into examinership just days after telling players that it could not pay their wages for the rest of the season. Vincent Hoey, chairman of Drogheda United, blamed the local planning process for the financial crisis that has affected the club.

Investors are said to have spent €12 million over the past four years on the basis that a new stadium would be built to help secure its future. The club’s management had finalised plans with a Dublin property developer, Bill Doyle, who was to build a €35 million, 10,000-seater stadium on a site in Bryanstown, in exchange for the club’s existing stadium at United Park.

Those plans were scuppered in August, when the proposed South Drogheda Environs Local Area Plan was published. Much of the land was zoned for open space and industrial use, rendering the stadium plan redundant.

Doyle has threatened to take a High Court action against Meath County Council, saying he was given verbal assurances that the land would be zoned residential. Former environment minister Dick Roche has asked environment minister John Gormley to investigate the situation.

Drogheda United plans to hold a press conference later this week, at which management will highlight the ‘‘way in which we have been continually obstructed from moving to a new site’’. A club source said management would look to locate elsewhere, but would ‘‘never again go near the planners in Meath. We are likely to look in Drogheda Borough

micls
12/10/2008, 8:15 PM
Bets on how many asterix by the end of the year?

Poor Student
12/10/2008, 8:18 PM
With the Cork precedent that's an automatic ten point deduction, isn't it? That would put Drogheda below Shamrock Rovers and just ahead of Bray.

micls
12/10/2008, 8:20 PM
With the Cork precedent that's an automatic ten point deduction, isn't it? That would put Drogheda below Shamrock Rovers and just ahead of Bray.

It depends how the licensing committee came up with the 10 points but Id imagine so.

Gareth
12/10/2008, 8:47 PM
I design league tables for eircom league with an extra column - Penalties Imposed - and so far it is well used :)

superfrank
12/10/2008, 8:51 PM
It could be some First Div next year...possibly Bohs, Drogs, Cork, Shels or Dundalk.

How many promotion places will there be?

Maynard
12/10/2008, 8:52 PM
I'm sure it has been pointed out before - but that does not make it any less true; That, taking into account the punitive actions taken against Shelbourne following their well-documented financial crisis; Drogheda, and a host of other clubs this year who have slashed agreed wages, begged for public donations, asked the players to take out bank loans FFS! and whatever you're having yourself - ALL of these clubs should be taking part in Division 1 next year. (assuming that they can achieve a license that is) Not doing this only highlights the "making it up as we go along" approach to administration in this country.

Harps, Sligo, Cobh, Cork and Drogheda all have cases to answer this year alone. A very poor reflection on the 2008 season.

micls
12/10/2008, 8:52 PM
It could be some First Div next year...possibly Bohs, Drogs, Cork, Shels or Dundalk.

How many promotion places will there be?
1 and a playoff isnt it?

Maynard
12/10/2008, 8:55 PM
One up. That is all.

holidaysong
12/10/2008, 9:00 PM

From a Dundalk perspective, John Gill really has to be praised for doing his best to ensure we're playing the like of Drogheda, Bohs and Cork next year!

:o

holidaysong
12/10/2008, 9:02 PM
1 and a playoff isnt it?

One up. That is all.

It's the same as last season - One automatic spot and second and third playing off to qualify for the promotion/relegation playoff.

pineapple stu
12/10/2008, 9:02 PM
One up. That is all.
One up, one playoff. Second and third in the First, eighth and ninth in the Premier I think. Definitely a play off though.

Poor Student
12/10/2008, 9:04 PM
Is it not 2nd v 3rd from the First Division with the winner playing the loser of an 8th v 9th playoff in the Premier?

holidaysong
12/10/2008, 9:04 PM
One up, one playoff. Second and third in the First, eighth and ninth in the Premier I think. Definitely a play off though.

Correct.

Maynard
12/10/2008, 9:06 PM
It's the same as last season - One automatic spot and second and third playing off to qualify for the promotion/relegation playoff.

Ah sorry - misread the post - thought we were talking about this season. Ye next year is the "old" format.

Back on topic if UCD were to go down this season and either Cobh, Harps or Gaillimh stayed up I'd be feeling pretty cheesed off considering all the off-the-field BS.

holidaysong
12/10/2008, 9:09 PM
Ah sorry - misread the post - thought we were talking about this season. Ye next year is the "old" format.

Back on topic if UCD were to go down this season and either Cobh, Harps or Gaillimh stayed up I'd be feeling pretty cheesed off considering all the off-the-field BS.

If Cork and Drogheda don't get a premier licence next year then surely only 12th place will go down this year..?

Anyone see a scenario where more than three premier clubs won't get premier licences and 2nd place in the first division would be good enough to go up or am I clutching at straws here?

pineapple stu
12/10/2008, 9:11 PM

Yes, but fortunately, we're one of the few clubs who can think long-term. If clubs want to kill themselves, let them. We'll bounce back, whereas other clubs have crippled themselves for years to come.

Maynard
12/10/2008, 9:14 PM
Your train of thought it totally valid. HOWEVER knowing the league as we do that is a very unlikely scenario. As per usual blatant breaking of the rules will be overlooked and promises not worth a fiddlers will be given that said clubs will get their houses in order.

Same old say mould.

Poor Student
12/10/2008, 9:14 PM

To be honest, I'm cheesed off we're not finishing ahead of them on the pitch.

pineapple stu
12/10/2008, 9:20 PM
Your train of thought it totally valid. HOWEVER knowing the league as we do that is a very unlikely scenario. As per usual blatant breaking of the rules will be overlooked and promises not worth a fiddlers will be given that said clubs will get their houses in order.

Same old say mould.
Difference now is that the Revenue and the courts are more involved than before, so we have some competent outside source influencing things and forcing people to get their houses in order to an extent.

Paddyfield
12/10/2008, 9:27 PM
At this rate, Galway United might stay up without kicking a ball. Just like our promotion!!

\\0//

jebus
12/10/2008, 9:47 PM
At this rate, Galway United might stay up without kicking a ball. Just like our promotion!!

\\0//

I think I'd even get a kick out of Dundalk bottling promotion and Galway being promoted/not relegated over them in place of Drogheda :D

WoodquayBoy
12/10/2008, 10:43 PM
United were mercilessly slaughtered when they came out, said there were moneyproblems and had to release players and cut wages to stay afloat. Phat Dolan jumped on his steel-reinforced soap box, the PFAI had a whine and we were the bad guys. Now looks like we acted in time and saved the meltdown others are now experiencing. Last week, PFAI praised Drogheda for being so honest, must have got a different musical instrument as they certainly changed their tune from when we had to CUT wages, not CANCEL them as last year's CHAMPIONS did.

sligoman
12/10/2008, 11:14 PM
Harps, Sligo, Cobh, Cork and Drogheda all have cases to answer this year alone. A very poor reflection on the 2008 season.Excuse you but Sligo Rovers have no case to answer, maybe to the Rovers fans themselves but not the league or anyone else. We have NOT cut individual players wages, we have NOT missed any payments to players and we have NOT done anything wrong. Don't know how many times it needs to be said on here for people to take it in. 'Begging for donations' as you put it is not a violation of any rule.

DonO'Bate
12/10/2008, 11:16 PM
United were mercilessly slaughtered when they came out, said there were moneyproblems and had to release players and cut wages to stay afloat. Phat Dolan jumped on his steel-reinforced soap box, the PFAI had a whine and we were the bad guys. Now looks like we acted in time and saved the meltdown others are now experiencing. Last week, PFAI praised Drogheda for being so honest, must have got a different musical instrument as they certainly changed their tune from when we had to CUT wages, not CANCEL them as last year's CHAMPIONS did.

Couldn't agree more, was discussing the exact same point with a few Utd supporters in Sligo on Sat night.

brianw82
12/10/2008, 11:51 PM
We have NOT cut individual players wages, we have NOT missed any payments to players and we have NOT done anything wrong.

So carrying over a big tax bill from last season while persisting with unsustainable full-time football is your definition of doing nothing wrong?
We may not have defaulted on payments to players, but we still contributed a lot of negative publicity for the league and made ourselves look like fools.

sligoman
13/10/2008, 12:22 AM
We may not have defaulted on payments to players, but we still contributed a lot of negative publicity for the league and made ourselves look like fools.Like I said, the only people the club have to answer to is the fans.

atfconline
13/10/2008, 12:27 AM
I design league tables for eircom league with an extra column - Penalties Imposed - and so far it is well used :)

I never could figure out what that column was for, now I know!

JC_GUFC
13/10/2008, 8:21 AM

To be fair when we realised we didn't have enough money to pay players we let some go so that we'd remain inside the salary cap.

Cobh, Harps, Drogheda and Cork all conveniently waited until after that so that their players couldn't join other eL clubs - and to think Harps were looking to sign some of our players from us!!! :eek:

I find it hard to see how Drogheda can get a Premier Division licence for next season, if only for the reason that United Park isn't up to Premier Division standards and they now have no solid plans for a new ground.

dcfcsteve
13/10/2008, 9:25 AM
Bets on how many asterix by the end of the year?

There's no need to drag Belgian cartoon characters into the melee....

eelmonster
13/10/2008, 11:52 AM
There's no need to drag Belgian cartoon characters into the melee....

He's French, or at least Gaulois ... but Belgian!

Dodge
13/10/2008, 12:00 PM
I find it hard to see how Drogheda can get a Premier Division licence for next season, if only for the reason that United Park isn't up to Premier Division standards and they now have no solid plans for a new ground.

Oriel had problems last year too didn't it? If the ground was the only issue, would Drogheda fans accept playing in Dalymount (or elsewhere in Dublin)?

pete
13/10/2008, 12:08 PM
Looks like last man standing will take Uefa places this season.

It is all very well wanting teams to be relegated but only a few first division clubs can get a Premier licence. I also imagine some first division clubs would not want to get promoted as do not have the structures to cope with.

OneRedArmy
13/10/2008, 12:20 PM
I think this coming season, moreso than previously, the Licensing process will be under even more scrutiny.

I honestly can't see how Drogs can get a Premier License, either on financial or infrastructural criteria.

Unless the criteria changes of course!

Dodge
13/10/2008, 12:21 PM
It is all very well wanting teams to be relegated but only a few first division clubs can get a Premier licence. I also imagine some first division clubs would not want to get promoted as do not have the structures to cope with.

If any club gets a premier license, they will absolutely talk the premier place.

If Cork and drogheda are demoted, the 10th and 11th place team in the premier division will stay up. Do you think Cobh, UCD, Harps or Galway will refuse that plce?

ndrog
13/10/2008, 12:53 PM
Oriel had problems last year too didn't it? If the ground was the only issue, would Drogheda fans accept playing in Dalymount (or elsewhere in Dublin)?

Would accept playing anywhere , even in the first div as long as we are still alive as a club.Dundalk would be much easier tbh, 15 mins by car plus regular buses that drop you around the corner from the ground .Woulkd love to line the pockets of my Dundalk cousins for a while :(

Maynard
13/10/2008, 1:31 PM
So carrying over a big tax bill from last season while persisting with unsustainable full-time football is your definition of doing nothing wrong?

We may not have defaulted on payments to players, but we still contributed a lot of negative publicity for the league and made ourselves look like fools.

Agree with this 100%

Publically stating that you need X amount of thousands to see it through to the end of the season, midway through the season is almost as bad as some of the other behaviour IMHO. I mean, it's not like there haven't been enough clubs up Poo-Poo Creak over the last number of years to forewarn clubs against overspending. It is just plain indefensible at this stage of the game.

ciaraa
14/10/2008, 1:54 AM

I think a lot of fans would have a problem with this and it would cause lasting long term damage to the already fickle* fanbase ( I see on another thread some 'fan' wants drogs to go out of business ahead of a drop down to Div 1)
Personally speaking, and I'm not alone in this, its a relief that all this nonsense is unravelling. The CRAZY proposals for the stadium were never going to go through - anyone who has ever had any dealings with the planning authority/nra in Ireland could tell you this. There were a lot of people involved in DUFC who were only ever after making personal gains while using the excuse of 'developing drogehda united as a commuinity project' as a front. If drogs can clear out the unbelievable amount of dead wood that doolin has bought over the last couple of seasons and we go back to div 1, get a few young local lads involved, give united park a lick of paint and lash in a few seats here and there, well there is no reason the future cannot be anything but bright.

* Complete Gimps

Celdrog
14/10/2008, 7:48 AM
Personally speaking, and I'm not alone in this, its a relief that all this nonsense is unravelling. The CRAZY proposals for the stadium were never going to go through - anyone who has ever had any dealings with the planning authority/nra in Ireland could tell you this. There were a lot of people involved in DUFC who were only ever after making personal gains while using the excuse of 'developing drogehda united as a commuinity project' as a front. If drogs can clear out the unbelievable amount of dead wood that doolin has bought over the last couple of seasons and we go back to div 1, get a few young local lads involved, give united park a lick of paint and lash in a few seats here and there, well there is no reason the future cannot be anything but bright.
Ciaraa - who do you really support or are you a Drog on drugs?
You are very much alone in your thoughts. Please name and shame those wh o were in it for the money

Macy
14/10/2008, 10:30 AM
I'd say some of the clubs didn't bother applying for a Premier Licence for this season. I'd say we would if the chance of promotion was there. Better to struggle, but with greater exposure and better opposition/ bigger travelling supports than stay in the wasteland division.

Fair play to Drogs on one thing - they've managed to successfully spin this as being a planning issue about the stadium, when it's fairly obvious the actual stadium part of the scheme is the least of the planning systems worries.

Louth4sam
14/10/2008, 11:14 AM
I think I'd even get a kick out of Dundalk bottling promotion and Galway being promoted/not relegated over them in place of Drogheda :D

If that situation did occur and I really think it could, I don't think there could be too many complaints from anyone. The only thing that would take the sting out of us not going up would be Drogs coming down.

Could be a very interesting close season.

pete
14/10/2008, 11:16 AM
I'd say some of the clubs didn't bother applying for a Premier Licence for this season. I'd say we would if the chance of promotion was there. Better to struggle, but with greater exposure and better opposition/ bigger travelling supports than stay in the wasteland division.

Just as long as they don't use the Cobh model of paying the same players more money just because in a different division.

Does any one know what kind of debts Drogs have & who they owe the money to? In our situation we had faceless owners who reneged on their responsibilities but Drogs have local owners who creditors would not be happy with at all.

Dodge
14/10/2008, 11:18 AM
I think most of Drogheda's sebts are director loans. not 100% on this

pineapple stu
14/10/2008, 11:33 AM
Their last accounts (Nov 07) showed them owing E110k to Revenue, E110k to other creditors and E170k in accruals. That's in in terms of debt for Hinge Trading Limited; there may be more in Drogheda United (O2) Limited, which was loaning Hings the money. But it's anyone's guess how much that's grown since, particularly if the two boys have turned off the tap.

pete
14/10/2008, 11:34 AM
I think most of Drogheda's sebts are director loans. not 100% on this

Would have suspected as much myself. Does not explain why they seeking Examinership as I believe that is used to give breathing room from creditors looking for their money.

Longfordian
14/10/2008, 11:39 AM

We got a Premier Licence for this season so I'd assume we'd be applying for one again for next season. As you say better to struggle in the Premier than the First, assuming we didn't indulge in fantasy budgeting like we have done before. I'd hope the lessons have been learned at this stage.

Macy
14/10/2008, 11:41 AM
Just as long as they don't use the Cobh model of paying the same players more money just because in a different division.
That's the league's model. Not to much change in personnel to account for the wage inflation outlined in the fans forum thread.

Horus
14/10/2008, 2:41 PM
Ciaraa - who do you really support or are you a Drog on drugs?
You are very much alone in your thoughts. Please name and shame those wh o were in it for the money

Second that Celdrog. Ciaraa - another hanger-on who Drogs could do without at this time. Laws of libel apply very much to web forums as much as they do to newspapers. Be careful when talking about a subject that you clearly know nothing about except from listening to the usual begrudgers.

pineapple stu
14/10/2008, 4:02 PM
So what happened today?

SMorgan
14/10/2008, 6:02 PM
Nothing. 11.00 am tomorrow morning due the Court's heavy workload.

Any chance of heading over and taking a few notes?