PDA

View Full Version : Do ye reckon Cook will stay next season?

Pages : [1] 2

brianw82
11/10/2008, 11:08 PM
With the general financial problems in the league, to me at least, it seems that the playing field for next season will be a bit more level. Drogheda won't be paying huge wages, neither will Cork, we don't know about Bohs or Pats yet. I know that Cook was feeling a bit deflated about not having the means to compete with these clubs earlier in the season, but with all that's happened to us, we're still (rather unbelievably) in with a shout of Europe. His players have put in a huge effort, and the same effort may well bring greater reward next year, due to the inevitable weakening of the teams above us in the current 'natural order'.

So, my question is, do you think Cook will stay?

sligoman
11/10/2008, 11:10 PM
No...

gufcfan
12/10/2008, 1:16 AM
I don't think he will stay either.

Seems like a sound fella, spoke to some of us after the League Cup game in Sligo.

He has to earn a few a pound like everyone else and they don't look like they will be able to provide much next year.

brianw82
12/10/2008, 3:17 AM
they don't look like they will be able to provide much next year

But that's the thing - fewer of the top teams will be able to do that either. The landscape of the league has changed a lot since June/July and that, coupled with the spirited performances of the remaining players, has to have a bearing on his decision.

clubman
12/10/2008, 5:58 AM
Is there a reason why he'll want to leave?
Let's face it the only reason Cookie will leave is that he gets a better offer from another club. If he is to go then it's not going to be to another League of Ireland club.
As has been pointed out, the landscape of the league has changed and it's the same all over. Money makes the world go round and it's the same in the world of football.
The news from Drogheda is not suprising as will the similar news from Bohs when it eventually arrives. Cork will be relagated come seasons end. With money problems widespread throughout the league I think Sligo Rovers will be one of the most prominent clubs next year. Wants Shams move to Tallaght there's no doubt they will become a force to be reckoned with, as they come with the tag "the Man U of Irish football" they will go on to dominate Irish football as they have sucessfully done in the past. Apart from that I think the league will definitely level itself out and come next season it will be a more competitive league.
Cookie will think long and hard over his future but I've no doubt he will be at the helm at the Showgrounds next season.

mypost
12/10/2008, 7:59 AM
Wants Shams move to Tallaght there's no doubt they will become a force to be reckoned with, as they come with the tag "the Man U of Irish football" they will go on to dominate Irish football as they have sucessfully done in the past.

That tag is Roddy's. We are the Liverpool of Irish football, as both clubs haven't won the domestic title in nearly the same time frame.

Dunno if we will go on to dominate Irish football, but we hope to finish above mid-table anyway.

Red&White Rover
12/10/2008, 11:20 AM
I reckon Cook will stay...

If he does, and financially we get it sorted, next year could have the potential to be a very good season...

sligofan4ever
12/10/2008, 1:10 PM
I reckon Cook will stay atleast until the end of next season. With our chances of getting into Europe now getting better all that hard work Cook put into building a good squad could pay off, would be great to see him lead Rovers into Europe. And as Red&White Rovers said if were sorted financially, next year could be even better for Rovers.

Does anyone know how long is left on Cookies contract ?

bellavistaman
12/10/2008, 1:42 PM
Hes the manager than made most of a impression on me this year. Great manager ii must say

Rory H
12/10/2008, 2:37 PM
Don't think he will stay.

Rovers1
12/10/2008, 3:02 PM
its a shticky one this. he did say earlier in season if we go part time in any way, that he would re-consider his place, but will he get a job anywhere else easily?

he wants a decent budget, cant blame him, but can Rovers afford to match his expectations?

red_away
13/10/2008, 1:06 PM
I dont think he will be at the Showgies next season!

Sad but true!

akearins
13/10/2008, 2:36 PM
To lose Cookie would be a major blow to the club.He has been the most honest manager we have had and treated us to the best football played at the showgrounds.If fans believe he may leave then I think they should do all they can to convince him it's vital he stays.Remember when Martin O'Neill was rumoured to be leaving Leicester and all the fans help up plackareds urging him to stay....

Cookie did say at a recent meeting he would not walk out on the club.
If we had €15,000 - €20,000 per week to offer him for players wages I believe he will stay.he coud have easily walked when he was told cut his playing staff and no one would have blamed him, but he stayed.

Not unrealsitic to suggest that we could be a major contender for the title next year if we hold onto cookie as only Pats seem any way stable.

I mean if we held faz,hughes,murphy and I am sure cookie could line up a decent striker whose to say we would not be further up the table.

Cookie must be kept and we as fans will need to play our part in convincing him too stay and become a Rover legend,thats something money cant buy

red arrow
13/10/2008, 11:01 PM
as alan kearns says he will stay if he gets a reasonable budget to work within.
what we need to do now is to start thinking of ways to fundraise to build a war chest (sean connors words). i am presently working in conjunction with frank beirne with regard to the e100 lotto ticket so if any body out there needsone contact me at 087 2388215(michael) most of yee know who i am. we ran this pre season last year and were very successfull and i would be hopeful that people will take up the e100 lotto ticket once again. by the way alan how is your fundraising going with regard to the 1000 x e2 ? great idea

blackholesun
13/10/2008, 11:44 PM
Some optimistic talk from Sligo fans about next season!? I thought the clubs financials were in bad shape but with 100K+ defecit for this season alone?

In fairness Cook has done a good job, I think there might be a bit of managerial merry go-round this season with Drogs & Cork probably changing, maybe Pats, maybe Rover, will be an interesting off season and I am sure some clubs would look at the good job he has done this season at Sligo under difficult circumstances.

bhs

brianw82
14/10/2008, 12:59 AM
by the way alan how is your fundraising going with regard to the 1000 x e2 ? great idea

Yes, has there been any progress on this? It is a great idea and it should take off.

I am sure some clubs would look at the good job he has done this season at Sligo under difficult circumstances

I think there are still some question marks about him tactically. For example, he had 3 strikers on the bench last Saturday, needed a goal, but didn't bring any of them on until it was too late.
No question that he gets the best out of whatever players he has, though.

akearins
14/10/2008, 8:14 AM
Lads just to keep you up to date with the 1000 x €2 per week idea (also hope to get 100 busienss with minimum of €5 per week).I am doing up some flyers to distribute at the Shams game and the website which will be live shortly (apologies for delay)will carry details fo the scheme.What we will need is help in locations around Sligo town and county.What we plan is something along the "people in need theme".Accross the town/county we would like to have volunteers ,local to their area sitting in prominent outlets(shopping centres, streets etc.) wherby local fans can sign up for the scheme.When you know someone in your own area who may be collecting your more inclined to support them than a stranger.If we can get local radio to drop in to various locations say every hour we can keep a live tally of whats happening accross the county until we reach the 1000 mark.
So we will be looking for volunteers to do this in possibly the Saturday after the Shams game.Will be in touch about locations....

GuisaSaigon
14/10/2008, 9:25 AM
I hope he stays, he's got ye very organised and playing good football too. He enjoys a bit of banter with the fans and comes across as a sound lad in his MNS interviews. It's good for the league to have characters like him involved.

Bohemian1890
14/10/2008, 4:38 PM
Scully gone:(

Well Red
14/10/2008, 6:38 PM
Paul,
Not sure if you read all the stuff going through here but if you do you will see that our one wish is that you are with us next season. Considering all the club has been through and you in particular, we have done better than anyone could have expected both on and off the pitch. Paul I remember early in the season at Drogheda you came out before the teams came back at half time and you had a chat with the Drogs supporters and that was massive. You have continued in that vein, never slagging the opposition and even could manage to see the funny point when we had been robbed. With the situation as it is in the league, Sligo could be a force next year but in order to do that we need you to be there.

Only1Rovers
14/10/2008, 6:48 PM
Scully gone:(

Step up Paul Cook!!!!!!

I'm of the opinion that Cook will be moving to Shams at years end. If he doesn't then I'd be hopeful that we'll keep him for another season.

However today's news emanating from Shams is no shock and something that I've been reliably informed was in the post for Scully for some time.

Rovers Maniac
14/10/2008, 7:12 PM
Step up Paul Cook!!!!!!

I'm of the opinion that Cook will be moving to Shams at years end. If he doesn't then I'd be hopeful that we'll keep him for another season.

However today's news emanating from Shams is no shock and something that I've been reliably informed was in the post for Scully for some time.

No way side step at best for him.

Red4Eva
14/10/2008, 9:31 PM
Paul Cook no ****ing way. Not on my watch

If we end up with some gob****e like Cook or Henderson, then this good be remembered a very bad day for Rovers.

quotes from shamrock forum. i can still hear echoes of the shamrock fans booing their own part-time young players from their game in the showgrounds this year, not the only time they've booed their players this season of course. the grass isn't always greener.....just ask adam and fahrudin

sligoman
14/10/2008, 11:13 PM
Class how they don't want Cook:D.

Rovers fan
15/10/2008, 2:53 AM
an even better quote from srfc ultras website: "I really, really dread to think who will be brought in. Paul Cook is a spoofer, and hopefully the board will see through past the badge-kissing he'd probably bring to appease some supporters;. We'll keep him so:)

dfx-
15/10/2008, 3:10 AM
Slightly ahead of Alan Matthews, Doolin, Fenlon and Collins....but no, wouldn't be my choice.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
15/10/2008, 8:20 AM
Slightly ahead of Alan Matthews, Doolin, Fenlon and Collins....but no, wouldn't be my choice.

And your choice is?

Red&White Rover
15/10/2008, 8:51 AM
Shams would be a huge sidestep for Cook...

d rovers
15/10/2008, 10:24 AM
an even better quote from srfc ultras website: "I really, really dread to think who will be brought in. Paul Cook is a spoofer, and hopefully the board will see through past the badge-kissing he'd probably bring to appease some supporters;. We'll keep him so:)

we have a fair bit of expertise when it comes to spoofers, the last one we had in the showgrounds ended up with bohs. Paul Cook is no spoofer. Cookie is the best manager we have had in a long, long time & i really hope he stays.

Claret Murph
15/10/2008, 10:32 AM
I spoke to guy in Burnley about a couple of months ago and he kind of said "with Cookie it's all about the money " so take from that what you will .He knew him quite well when he was playing for the Clarets .

Rovers Maniac
15/10/2008, 10:43 AM
I spoke to guy in Burnley about a couple of months ago and he kind of said "with Cookie it's all about the money " so take from that what you will .He knew him quite well when he was playing for the Clarets .

"€20 euro worth the trip" :D

Rovers1
15/10/2008, 11:46 AM

wouldnt think so..

dont see any obvious reason Shamrock could afford to pay him more than us....

sligoman
15/10/2008, 12:21 PM
It's funny the way a lot of Shamrock fans think they'll be a big club next season. As if moving into a new ground will bring them instant success:D.

Dodge
15/10/2008, 12:49 PM

All managers and players are like that.

Longfordian
15/10/2008, 1:25 PM
One of our previous managers used to have a saying whenever you'd be talking about players staying or going "all footballers are c**ts. I used to be one". The same applies to managers. They'll go where and when it suits them, no point getting too attached!.

Guts&Glory
15/10/2008, 5:06 PM

I agree Claret Murph, money is the key for everyone in all walks of life at the end of the day. Its what pays the bills and allows you to be succesful as you want to be.

Interesting how no Shams fan can name who they do want to be as manager just a list of who they dont want, you would swear there was a queue forming for the has beens that they are.

By the way for all of you Rovers fans, eg Only1Rovers, that have as good as waved Cookie off to Shams considering he said he would reconsider his position if Sligo Rovers went semi pro why on earth would he join Shams who are semi pro ?

AKearins & Well red , good posts and thats the kind of positive posts we need for Cookie rather than those out there trying to convince everyone he is practically gone at a time when the season hasnt even finsihed and supporters are trying to raise funds to finish this season creditor free and have some funding for next season.

Rovers Maniac
15/10/2008, 10:16 PM
If we finish 5th and Cork win the Setanta cup as well as Derry, Pats or Bohs winning the cup we will go to a play off for the setanta cup with a team from the North :)

sligoman
15/10/2008, 10:43 PM
If we finish 5th and Cork win the Setanta cup as well as Derry, Pats or Bohs winning the cup we will go to a play off for the setanta cup with a team from the North :)Is it not the first division winners that's in a play-off with cup winners(or us if the above scenario happens)?

Rovers Maniac
15/10/2008, 10:56 PM
Sorry put this in the wrong thread, actually is it not the first division winner we go into a playoff? Anyway we need the 3 points from Harps badly.

Red&White Rover
18/10/2008, 10:30 PM
He'll be here next year:);)

srfc1928
19/10/2008, 10:49 AM
He'll be here next year:);)
I hope your right Red&White Rover
For Paul to go to shams would definitley be a side step.
I doubt shams will have a budget that much bigger than ours.
He'd be starting from scratch all over again and without much time to prove himself to notorious impatient supporters. Their playing staff is mainly part time and is in no way on a par with the players we have. If we could somehow manage to get a budget similar to this years, we wouldn’t be far away. We’ll never have a better chance.

Rory H
19/10/2008, 10:57 AM
News of the World reporting today that Matthews is fav for Shams job because he is proven to work well on a small budget. But Cook, Rico and Doolin are also in the frame.

sligoman
19/10/2008, 3:19 PM
He'll stay if we get 4th;)

Red&White Rover
19/10/2008, 6:48 PM
He's got no interest in Shams AFAIK:)

redobit
20/10/2008, 9:34 AM
I hope your right Red&White Rover
For Paul to go to shams would definitley be a side step.
I doubt shams will have a budget that much bigger than ours.
He'd be starting from scratch all over again and without much time to prove himself to notorious impatient supporters. Their playing staff is mainly part time and is in no way on a par with the players we have. If we could somehow manage to get a budget similar to this years, we wouldn’t be far away. We’ll never have a better chance.

have to agree with all of that

red_away
20/10/2008, 1:03 PM
There will be better managerial posts available in EL when this season closes, plenty of them!

brianw82
20/10/2008, 1:32 PM
Managing a part-time club in Dublin has a helluva lot more potential than a part-time club in Sligo. The player pool would be much more massive. I wouldn't say going to Shams is a sidestep because of this.

red bellied
20/10/2008, 1:43 PM
The club will be probably part time but will still have a pool of full time pros, maybe even as many as ten. Managers like Sinclair, McStay and Sanchez have all operated like this. Maybe he wont stay but I doubt he will go to Shams which has no full timers and no training during the day.

passinginterest
20/10/2008, 2:00 PM
The club will be probably part time but will still have a pool of full time pros, maybe even as many as ten. Managers like Sinclair, McStay and Sanchez have all operated like this. Maybe he wont stay but I doubt he will go to Shams which has no full timers and no training during the day.

From what I've heard they'll have at least five or six full time pros next season. They've already sold over 600 season tickets and estimate that they might sell 2000. Add to this the fact that they'll no longer be renting a ground, new sponsorship deals for the new ground and a general surge in attendance in the early days of the move and they'll be operating on a vastly improved budget next season.

I think it'll be an attractive proposition to most League of Ireland managers. I hope for Sligo's sake you do hang on to Cook because he seems to be an excellent manager. Don't forget he may also be tempted by likely vacancies at Cork, Drogheda and St Pat's.

Jeebus
20/10/2008, 2:02 PM
Maybe he wont stay but I doubt he will go to Shams which has no full timers and no training during the day.

I was speaking to a Shams fan I know on Saturday and he was saying that Shams are considering going full time next year.