PDA

View Full Version : Rovers 1-1 Galway

sligoman
11/10/2008, 9:52 PM
Raging:(.

Think we edged it slightly, Galway came to life after we scored though and could easily have won it in the end, although so could we, McT with a great chance. Anything less than 3 points next week and we can forget about 4th imo.

Rovers fan
11/10/2008, 9:56 PM
We should have been ahead at half time,missed a few good chances,especially headers. Twas dissappointing to let them back into it. Raf was superb but i think we would have won it had boco been there. Mcdaid isn't quite good enough yet. Feeney added an extra dimension when he came on. Mct should have scored at the end.

showgies
11/10/2008, 10:12 PM
Yep, disappointed with the draw. We had enough good chances to win the game. A stunning goal by Raf, he is having a great season. Boco would certainly made a difference tonight.

Another cracking display by the Forza guys, well done again.

sligo23
11/10/2008, 11:04 PM
well done Forza,
simply magnificant:ball:

Red Star
11/10/2008, 11:57 PM
This was posted on another forum by one of the Forza Rovers lads.

Last week our manager asked supporters to keep the faith with his team. So we made a portrait two stick of each player and the manager with the banner "SEMPER FIDELIS" (always faithful)

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7940/frvsgalway2ku2.png

red bellied
12/10/2008, 1:00 AM
Cretaro is player of the season, but Coleman is player of the decade.

gufcfan
12/10/2008, 1:18 AM
We robbed yis of 2 points tonight by all accounts I have received so far.

Good luck against Harps.:D

brianw82
12/10/2008, 3:19 AM

A shure it wouldn't be a Rovers game unless we were robbed by someone. :D

Inside Man
12/10/2008, 9:45 AM

Yes but in fairness ye could have nicked it.
I know this may be a controversial view with a lot of yous. But tonight i felt bad tactical desicions lost us the three points. Cooke had 3 strickers on the bench. And it wasn't til 10mins to go until one was brought on. When clearly Mcdaid was poor and not going to score a blind man would have told ya that Mct should have been on. Instead he leaves it with 3mins to go. And in those 3mins Mct creates the chance of the game. But he didn't have long enough to create any more. Also when it was so evident we needed a stricker on the pitch he leaves it until 80th minute to make a change.:mad:
Very dissapointed last night.

On another note fair play to the lads who done that banner! Brilliant stuff.

Red&White Rover
12/10/2008, 11:21 AM
Have to say absolute fair play Sean and his brothers on the banners.

Absolutely different class.

sligoman
12/10/2008, 1:04 PM
Anything less than 3 points next week and we can forget about 4th imo.Maybe not (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1038329&postcount=19), that'd be them minus 10. Still would have to catch Cork though*.

*I know we still may get into Europe without 4th if/when Cork are punished further next season but still.

dublinred
13/10/2008, 8:39 AM

Take the point and run could make the difference to you in the end , performance of the year from Raf and a great game from Coleman as well , pity we couldn't get the second goal to finish off the game , mcdaid looked a bit lightweight and wasn't getting into positions in the box surprised McT wasn't brought on earlier , I didn't get a good view of the penalty but their were few complaints from the players so must of been one , the penalty came from an imaginary free kick after a galway player lost his footing when peers was at least a yard away from him. Great crowd at the game and a lot for away fans plenty of enterainment should get people back again for the next few home games , one of the most hardworking and talented rovers teams ever which is a credit to the manager and players given all thats happened this season of the field.

sligored
13/10/2008, 9:35 AM
i was a long way away from the penalty incident and did not see who committed the foul but did see one of our players jumping in two footed in the box which was immediately followed by the referees whistle for a penalty.
i have been told subsequently that it was once again danny ventre.
his discipline is seriously questionable and i think cookie will offload him at the end of the year to bring in someone better.

great performances from seamie and raf - i thought judge deserved a run as well as we were too small up front.

give credit to galway for their battling qualities.

d rovers
13/10/2008, 10:01 AM
a wonderful display from forza rovers, it was class stuff.

i thought raf was outstanding & some goal. galway were decent going forward but very ropey at the back. if we had taken our chances the game would have been long over as a contest before half time. it was a must win game for them (the way other results went on friday night) & they did well to salvage a draw.

gustavo
13/10/2008, 10:32 AM
Thought Raf was fantastic as usual , He most definitely is a Rovers legend , Great display from Forza Rovers too , looked class , Hope we can get the three points with Boco back for the Harps match

sligoman
13/10/2008, 11:19 AM
Out of interest, has Brush ever saved a penalty for us? He got close this time, just can't remember him ever saving one.

red_away
13/10/2008, 12:05 PM
looking forward to seeing the goal!

Flags were brilliant - well done to all involved!!!!

gustavo
13/10/2008, 12:07 PM
Highlights
nRRYcrPLhzA&fmt=18

sligofan4ever
13/10/2008, 7:24 PM
Out of interest, has Brush ever saved a penalty for us? He got close this time, just can't remember him ever saving one.

Yeah he saved a penalty on the 4th minute against Derry City last season at the Showgrounds, match ended in a 2-0 loss though.

brianw82
13/10/2008, 8:08 PM
i have been told subsequently that it was once again danny ventre.
his discipline is seriously questionable and i think cookie will offload him at the end of the year to bring in someone better.

That's harsh on Danny. He's a limited player, but he gives his all and fills in wherever he's needed. To my mind, he's a mini Carragher. Obviously not quite as good, though.

sligofan4ever
13/10/2008, 8:34 PM
Have to agree with Brianw82, Thats a wee bit harsh on Danny. I think IMO he's been one of our best players this season and certainly the most improved!. Hopefully we can keep him, and the rest of the squad for next season altough its likely Seamie will be gone :(. Does anyone think we should try and sign Richie Ryan and David McDaid permanently for next season ?

sligoman
13/10/2008, 8:36 PM
Ventre is a liability, without a doubt. He can't tackle and he lacks pace. We're just short on numbers so that's why he gets starting.

brianw82
13/10/2008, 8:42 PM
Ventre is a liability, without a doubt. He can't tackle and he lacks pace. We're just short on numbers so that's why he gets starting.

Short on numbers is right. We're not in a position to offload someone just because he makes a few mistakes now and then. Look at Butler, for instance. In the first half of the season, in every game he seemed to lose concentration at some point, let his man get away from him and then bring him down with a clumsy/late challenge. He sorted out this part of his game though, but with your harsh attitude, I guess we should've sold him in July?
The real question is, without Danny where would our defence be right now?

sligoman
13/10/2008, 8:49 PM
but with your harsh attitude, I guess we should've sold him in July?Sorry? If that's your opinion then so be it but to get rid of Butler would have been ridiculous and to compare Ventre to Butler is even more ridiculous.
The real question is, without Danny where would our defence be right now?Like I said, we are short on numbers so we can't really get rid of him but to say he's been one of our best players this season(like 'sligofan4ever' did) is a joke in my opinion, nowhere near.

brianw82
13/10/2008, 9:03 PM
Sorry? If that's your opinion then so be it but to get rid of Butler would have been ridiculous and to compare Ventre to Butler is even more ridiculous.

Obviously I'm the only person in Sligo to have noticed that trend in Butler's defensive play. Just because he bombed forward all the time didn't mean his game didn't have weaknesses. I compare the two players because Butler has also made mistakes. If you suggest selling Ventre because his tackle gave away a penalty, then why not sell Butler for his stupid sending off in the cup against Shams?

Like I said, we are short on numbers so we can't really get rid of him but to say he's been one of our best players this season(like 'sligofan4ever' did) is a joke in my opinion, nowhere near.

I agree he hasn't been our best player this year, or even most improved. His versatility is his major asset. We got rid of McKenzie rather than Ventre because Ventre can cover more positions, not because he was better.

sligoman
13/10/2008, 9:06 PM
If you suggest selling Ventre because his tackle gave away a penalty, then why not sell Butler for his stupid sending off in the cup against Shams?Are you seeing extra sentences or something? Where did I suggest we sell Ventre cos of giving away the penalty? I just said he's a liabilty and can't tackle, in general, not just this game.

sligored
13/10/2008, 9:18 PM
mns confirmed this as a crazy tackle - three points are a commodity that we cannot afford to have taken away from us by needless lunges in the box with 10 minutes to go in a derby game.

you would never see any of our other defenders go in two footed in the box. the ball was 3 yards away from him.

agreed he seems a nice guy who gives his all but imo i dont think cookie will keep him.

Rovers1
14/10/2008, 3:17 PM
i dont think cookie will keep him.

im 100% sure Danny will stay if Cook stays, Danny is one of Cooks favourite player. I dont think hes anything special, but he's got something about him, fair enough he lunged at the Galway player saturday night, but he'll make up for that mistake 3 times over. I would hate to see Ventre leave Rovers. He is one of those players (like O'Grady) who will NEVER give up regardless of whether his team are 4 up or 5 down.

gustavo
14/10/2008, 3:31 PM
I'd like to see Danny stay too , He can be an important member of the squad for us next season and his versatility has been an asset to us

Rovers fan
14/10/2008, 3:43 PM
Danny has already signed a new contract......

brianw82
14/10/2008, 4:25 PM

That's great, if true. :)

sligofan4ever
14/10/2008, 4:45 PM

Just out of interest, does anyone know if any of our players contracts run out before the next season starts ?

avvenalaf
14/10/2008, 4:49 PM
im 100% sure Danny will stay if Cook stays, Danny is one of Cooks favourite player. I dont think hes anything special, but he's got something about him, fair enough he lunged at the Galway player saturday night, but he'll make up for that mistake 3 times over. I would hate to see Ventre leave Rovers. He is one of those players (like O'Grady) who will NEVER give up regardless of whether his team are 4 up or 5 down.

Even though he was probably the cause of four of the five goals.i

forza rovers
14/10/2008, 5:18 PM
on the note of mns Rory u were looking good in the ugly section!:D

Inside Man
14/10/2008, 10:32 PM

Completely agree. Ventre is a liability. Don't rate him at all. Journeyman.
Don't kid yourselves lads in thinking he is good. I know my football have been playing and a spectator for 30 odd years and i know a bad player when i see one. Its clear Sligoman knows his football too.

Rovers1
15/10/2008, 11:42 AM
Even though he was probably the cause of four of the five goals.i

unfair...

but touche :o

Rovers1
15/10/2008, 11:44 AM
Its clear Sligoman knows his football too.

NICE ONE!!

totally agree, he has a nice face too :cool: