PDA

View Full Version : Cobh -Sligo match

LFC in Exile
09/10/2003, 9:24 AM
Can I ask for an honest answer to the question - do Cobh fans think their side is dirty? I'm leaving the Limerick matches out of this, but I saw the Sligo game last week and the intention seemed to be to kick Sligo back home. Yelverton and Bruton are classy players (don't know about Warren yet but he was excellent the odd few times I saw him with Cork) and they must wonder what the hell is going on. Hill's first yellow was wrong, but I think he might have been punished for all of the other "tackles" that had been flying in beforehand. I don't know what he shouted at the Sligo bench but you can't be doing that. The other Cobh player sent off was completely right. He could have broken Cretaro's leg.

I just think that a mentality has built up in the side to intimidate the opposition and kick everything that moves. You have some good players but they can't be effective if you are down to 10 men from stupid challenges. Is there a sense that some fans are getting browned off with Cobh's tactics? I mean bad and all as eL refs are - it can't all be down to bad referreeing.

This really is a genuine post - I am interested in it - it is not a dig at Cobh.

Rams-fan
09/10/2003, 12:24 PM
I was at the game, and Sligo were first to hit hard into the Ramblers player, and got away with out a card. then followed two or three yellows for the Ramblers players.

Hill was sent off for constant abusive talk. Not dirty tackles. Sligo were not kicked off the pitch and were well able to dish it out. And only two yellows to Sligo. ? The referee was so off the rail that even if it was a rams free he pointed to Sligo.

Darrens' sending off was high and potentially dangerous and it was a deserved sending off. He is a young lad of 17 who is proving to be a good asset to the Team.

It is the perception of Ramblers been a dirty team that people tend to come to pickout and look for the bad points.

If you take Hill out of the equation, I don't believe their would be much focus on the Ramblers Team, can you name one other Rambler player sent off more than once without thinking about it.??

It is Hills reputation which is tarring the team, and I think Hill should stick to been the manager, because player manager is certainly not paying off.:ball:

Estar
09/10/2003, 3:10 PM
Have to say the only game I seen Cobh this season was at Station Road, Cobh were very fair spirited. Dave Hill was sent off because he lost the Rag with Jim O'Neill, not dirty play. I think Dave will hang his boots up soon, but not until this season is finished. To be honest I haven't seen a dirty team in this Division, the closest mybe Dundalk, but sill no one was sent off.
It looks like a bit of a wind up from Shannonside.

LFC in Exile
10/10/2003, 1:01 PM
Honestly I am not winding them up. It was a genuine query. Do fans think they are getting a hard time or is there a feeling that the disciplinary record are a problem?

Really looking forward to the game tonight. I hope some of the Cobh fans that post here will say hello to the Limerick fans - it's good to make contacts at other clubs and it's only slagging after all.

TheRealRovers
10/10/2003, 7:58 PM
Dirty Cobh. Paul Mc T is now out for the Dublin Game

Rams-fan
13/10/2003, 8:38 AM
Originally posted by TheRealRovers
Dirty Cobh. Paul Mc T is now out for the Dublin Game

Please, your breaking my heart. Soccer is a tough game. And sligo were far from squeaky clean.

You would think it was your only injury in the season.