View Full Version : pubs in swiss

Ozymandias
08/10/2003, 4:39 PM
Paddy Reilly's Steinentorstrasse 45....5 min walk from train station
extended their opening hours until 3 in the morning.....whey hey
lets paint the place green......

Junior
08/10/2003, 5:29 PM
If you are willing to avoid the O'Irish theme pubs as you are only likely to get fleeced, then here are some tips on local places that I got from the Basel forum a few weeks ago.

One
Cost of beer:
3-4 Swissies for a "Stange", meaning 3.3cl of local brew in a glass.
5-6 Swissies for a "Grosses", meaining 0.5l of local brew in a glass mug.
7 Swissies and up (depending on where you go) for the import stuff in bottles, i.e. Corona, Heinis, MGD, etc.

Where to go:
Basel is divided by the river Rhine into Great-Basel & Little-Basel (literal translations, don't sue me). Great-Basel is the more commercial side, Little-Basel the more intimate (but smaller).

In Gross-Basel, the pub mile is the "Steinenvorstadt", right off Barfüsserplatz. Plenty of local watering holes there. On Barfüsserplatz, next to the McDs, you have the "Brauner Mutz", the traditional local beer-hall for the real geezers. Next to it is the Rio Bar. Opposite the beer hall, across Barfüsserplatz, on the second floor, is the Papa Joe's, a local Mexican-themed restaurant-bar. Stick to the beer, the drinks suck.

For the best beer in town, head across the old "Mittlere Brücke" (Middle Bridge) into Little-Basel, and take a right into Rheingasse. After a few hundred meters on your left, you will find the Fischerstube - a micro-brewery with its self-made beer called "Ueli" beer. The best in town.

Two
well Ueli Beer (the one they serve in the Fischerstube)

is also served in at least two other bars in Basel, on is just around the Steine, and the other one is located at schifflände (There you can eat some fine Döner- Kebaps to.)

for 0.5l you have to pay sFr 6.-- mostly.

0.5l in a Kebap- Shop costs 4.-- don't pay more look for another one (Sams Pizza Land Barfüsserplatz)

Three
Concerning the pubs I can only encourage you to find one that sells the Ueli Beer, it's really good. Besides the "Fischerstube" that has been mentioned already you can also get it at "Café Huguenin" at the Barfüsserplatz or at the "Hotel Basel", which is a rather boring place.

Also at the Barfüsserplatz, there is a place called "Zum alte Stöckli", which is usually not too packed with people (might be different after the game) where the beer isn't too expensive. Then, between Barfüsserplatz and Market Square there's a place called "Mitte", right opposite the main post office. There you can taste another locally brewed beer which is called "Unser Bier" (meaning "Our Beer"). I quite like this one as well (about four different 'types' are available).

The choice of decent clubs in Basel is rather limited, unfortunately. Most places are fun if a) you are accompanied by many friends and b) you are already drunk enough to find anything funny. If both a) and b) apply to you, it's already past 2a.m. and you intend to stay awake for the entire night, you could try the "Route 66" at the Freie Strasse . It always feels as if you were stuck somewhere in the mid-80ies in there

Four
the other thing is, we got in basel 2 microbreweris
Ueli Bier founded 1974 (one of the first microbreweris in switzerland) you can get it in only a few restaurants
Unser Bier founded 1998 you can get this one in COOP in bottles of 0.5l and restaurants

try them, better then Feldschlösschen the "lokal" brewery owned by carlsberg
even the realy lokal brewery was WARTECK wich was eaten by Feldschlösschen wich was eaten by Carlsberg, but you still get Warteck in pub's and bar's